InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 9: When All Is Lost ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 9

Sesshomaru stared at the four. They were suddenly interrupted, however, by what looked like a young, male exterminator riding on a demon cat similar to Kilala towards Sango.

"Sango!" he screamed. Sango finally recognized the boy. It was her cousin, Hiroshi.

"Hiroshi!" she said. "What is it?" He was weak and covered in blood.

"We're out numbered!" he explained. "They sent me for back up!" Sango looked sadly at what remained of her legion.

"Take them with you!" she said pointing to them. "We can take care of him." The boy looked up at Sesshomaru.

"Sango, isn't that…" he began, but was cut off.

"Yes, now take them and go!!!" she shouted. The boy nodded and took off on his demon cat with the remaining exterminators and priests following quickly behind. Sesshomaru watched as their allies took off into the night. He turned to look at them and smiled evilly.

"Don't you realize that your efforts are useless!" he huffed. "Even if the four of you could kill me, you will not be able to save everyone else. I have black holes scattered throughout the world releasing endless amounts of demons at this very minute. You will not be able to reach an eighth of them before mankind is destroyed!" He gave a sinister laugh. Sango, Miroku, and Kagome exchanged worried glances. Inuyasha just growled.

"That's it! I've had it with you!" Inuyasha said drawing his sword. "This time, I will not stop fighting you until you are dead!" He lunged at Sesshomaru swinging his sword in anger. Sesshomaru's and Inuyasha's swords clashed time and time again as the others discussed this new information and watched them fight.

"He is right!" Sango announced. "If he has those holes scattered throughout the whole world, there is no way that we will be able to win!" Kagome's face fell. Miroku looked off into space thinking hard. Kagome lifted her head to watch Inuyasha and Sesshomaru fight. She watched Inuyasha would be thrown down, then Sesshomaru would be thrown down. For the longest time, it seemed like it was a pretty even fight…until…

"Agghhhh!" everyone heard Inuyasha shout as he was sliced yet again by Sesshomaru.

"Inuyasha!!!" Kagome screamed. He was hurt bad this time. Kagome ran over to him with tears streaming down her face.

"Kagome, no!" Miroku shouted, but it was too late. Kagome had already jumped in front of Sesshomaru using her own body to shield Inuyasha. Sesshomaru smiled at her futile efforts to protect Inuyasha.

"Ka-Kagome, n-no," Inuyasha whispered weakly. "Le-Leave…me…here!" He tried to sit up, but even he knew that he was hurt bad this time.

"No!" she said shaking her head. "I'm never leaving you!" She was sitting on her knees and her hands were placed on his shoulders. She cupped his face with her hands. "Please, hang in there, Inuyasha!!!" Tears began streaming down her face uncontrollably. Inuyasha became confused. He didn't know why she was crying. `Why is she crying for me?' he thought. Kagome looked down to examine the wounds that he had received. One long, bloody slash traced his upper body from his left shoulder to his right hip and another spread across his chest. There were also many other smaller scrapes and scratches scattered on his arms and legs. She leaned down to him and wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug. Sesshomaru began growing disgusted.

"Well isn't this just as sweet as it can be!" he said sarcastically. "Enough already!" He raised his sword.

"Kagome, get out of there!!!" Miroku shouted. Kagome made no motion to move. The sword came down on them.

"KAGOME!!! INUYASHA!!!" Sango and Miroku shouted.

"Hiraikotsu!!!" Sango shouted flinging her boomerang towards the three. Kagome laid flat on top of Inuyasha when she saw the attack coming. The boomerang completed its mission by knocking away Sesshomaru's sword. Sango jumped up and grabbed her boomerang as it flew back towards her.

"Why you…" Sesshomaru shouted and took off after his sword. Sango and Miroku chased after him and began fighting him before he could reach his sword. He slashed at them with his poisonous claws and what seemed like a green, powerful whip.

Meanwhile, Kagome sat up over Inuyasha. She could hear Sango and Miroku fighting with Sesshomaru in the background. Inuyasha looked up at her. "Kagome," he coughed. "Why…are you crying?" This question made Kagome cry even more. She placed her hand on his face.

"Because…I don't know what to do," she said sobbing. "I just don't understand how things like this can happen. I feel like if humanity is destroyed, it will be all my fault. You heard what Sesshomaru said. Even if we do manage to kill him, humanity is still doomed. He is right." She looked away from him and over to where Sango, Miroku, and Sesshomaru were still fighting. "It's up to you now, Inuyasha." He laid there confused. She placed her hands on his chest and closed her eyes.

"Kagome, no!" he protested, but he was too weak to move. Hot tears ran down the sides of his face and into his silver hair. "No, please stop!" He soon felt his strength returning to him.

"Ughhhh!" Miroku and Sango grunted as both of them were flung to the ground. Sesshomaru had finally reached his sword. He picked it up and raced to Kagome and Inuyasha.

"You all are a nuisance!!! LET'S FINISH THIS!!!" he shouted jumping in the air and coming down on Kagome and Inuyasha with his sword. Inuyasha watched as Sesshomaru grew closer. He reached up and grabbed Kagome pulling her down on top of him and rolling over on top of her to block Sesshomaru's attack. Kagome looked up to see Sesshomaru headed for them and reached out with her palm spread open.

"ENOUGH!!!" she shouted closing her eyes. Inuyasha prepared himself for the attack. When Sesshomaru finally reached them, he was immediately thrown back hard to the ground. Sango and Miroku had stood up just as everything happened.

"Kagome created some sort of force field!" Miroku shouted. Sango looked at Sesshomaru. He was beaten up pretty bad. Sesshomaru had reached Kagome just before she could give up her energy to Inuyasha. Inuyasha looked up to realize what had just transpired. He looked back down at Kagome.

"Are you okay?" he asked her. She nodded her head.

"Yeah, I'm fine. How are you?" she asked worriedly. Inuyasha was shocked. She was okay. He was certain her energy would be gone after healing him and putting up a force field to save them.

"I'm a lot better thanks to you!" he said hugging her. Kagome hugged him back. Inuyasha rolled off of her and helped her to her feet. Inuyasha drew his sword and chase after his brother. Sesshomaru stood up and blocked his attack, but he was still very weak. They held their swords together and stood face to face.

"I warned you not to touch her!" he said swinging his sword and slicing across Sesshomaru's chest. Sesshomaru fell backwards on the ground and Inuyasha pointed his sword at his throat. Even with the sword at this throat, Sesshomaru laughed.

"Even if you kill me, you will not survive the night!" he stated proudly. "So go ahead and kill me, dear brother! But trust me…I will see you in hell in very shortly!" Inuyasha frowned.

"For some people, death is better," he said gruffly. He lowered his sword slightly. "For others, death is too great of a gift to give them." He motioned for Sango and Miroku to come over to where he was. They came running over immediately. They pulled out demon chains and began strapping them to Sesshomaru. Inuyasha kept his sword pointed at him in case he decided to make any sudden moves. Sango and Miroku finished and took a few steps back.

"This should keep you from going anywhere!" Inuyasha said. "You will live to see the end of this war!" He replaced his sword to its scabbard. He began walking towards Kagome. She smiled. He smiled back. He placed his hands on her shoulders and rubbed her upper arms a little. "You okay?" he asked.

She nodded her head. "Yeah," she said. "And I'm proud of you." He smiled at her. Their smiles were interrupted by a large group of exterminators and priests running their way chased by demons. Inuyasha took off running towards them. He then saw the kid from before.

"Sango!" he screamed. "We can't hold them off!" Kagome, Sango, and Miroku knew that their end was drawing near, but none of them were going to go down without a fight. They all took off to fight.

"Out of the way everyone!" Inuyasha shouted drawing his sword. "Kaze no Kizu!!!" A hundred demons disappeared only to be replaced by a hundred more. `This is hopeless!' he thought. `Sesshomaru's right! We won't live out the night!' Kagome pulled back an arrow and released it killing hundreds of demons in its path. She too was beginning to lose hope. Sango took to the sky with Kilala and the others continued to fight on the ground.

A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER

Everyone continued to fight. By now, however, everyone was becoming a bloody, weary mess. Thousands had been killed and the demons seemed never-ending. Kagome screamed as she was hit by a demon and received a gash to the arm and back.

"Kagome!!!" Inuyasha shouted. He too had been injured and knew he wouldn't last much longer. He looked around at his friends. He knew they wouldn't either. That was it. If he was going to die. He knew how he wanted to go out. "Kaze no Kizu!" he shouted clearing a path to reach Kagome. Kagome was now crawling on her hands and knees. Sango and Miroku both lay injured on the ground. Inuyasha jumped down beside Kagome. "Kagome! Kagome, are you alright!" He touched her back in a comforting manner only to bring back a bloody hand. She looked up at him.

"Inuyasha?" she said allowing herself to sit back on her knees. "Why do you continue to help us?" Inuyasha was puzzled by the question. She looked up at him for his answer.

"What are you talking about?" he asked.

"Us! Humans!" she said panting for breath. "You could have easily given up on us, but you continue to fight for us even when you and I both know it is in vain." He placed his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye.

"It's not right just to kill someone or hate them because they are different," he said. "Besides, you taught me that there could be people out there that are good people. I can't let anyone remotely similar to you die." Kagome began to cry. Tears even came to Inuyasha's eyes. "Come here," he said pulling her close to him.

"We're going to die, Inuyasha!" Kagome said crying. Inuyasha allowed the tears in his eyes to fall.

"No we're not!" he said pushing her back so he could look her in the eye. "We are going to make it through this! You and me! Together!" She wanted to believe it so badly.

"I don't want everyone to die!" she cried. "I don't even want the demons to die! I just want them to learn to be better people. I was so relieved when you didn't kill Sesshomaru. Enough blood has been shed." She hugged him again and buried her head into his chest. "Just don't leave me! If I am going to die, I want to die like this!" He was shocked. At her death, he was the one that she wanted to be with?

"I want to be like this too, Kagome!" he said hugging her as tight as he could. "I promise I will not let go of you!" A demon came flying by and slashed Inuyasha on the back as he passed. Inuyasha grunted in pain.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome screamed crying.

"I'm okay!" he said still hugging her tight. Another demon came by, this time ripping at Kagome. She screamed as it slashed her.

"Kagome!" he screamed watching her eyes roll back in her head in pain. He pulled off his haori and wrapped it around her. "Here! Take this! It will help keep you alive!"

"No!" she said. "What about you?"

"Don't worry about me!" he stated. "I'm only worried about you!" She knew better than to protest.

Sango and Miroku began to stir. They crawled towards one another and held on to each other. They noticed Inuyasha and Kagome were doing the same thing. They watched as their friends got ripped to shreds. They knew that soon would be their fate as well.

"I love you, Sango!" Miroku said holding her tight.

"I love you, too!" she replied hugging him back. She looked over at her friends. "Perhaps there is still a chance!"

Miroku followed her gaze. "That's what it looks like. We can now only hope and pray!"

Kagome looked up at Inuyasha. "Why are you doing this?" she asked.

"What?" he asked.

"Protecting me! Not giving up! Acting as if I am going to survive!" she said.

"Because I think there is still hope somehow and you have to survive! I promised to protect you!" he said. He continued to hold on to her tightly. "The only way you are going to die is if I die protecting you!" Kagome stared at him in disbelief.

"You're willing to follow the same footsteps as your father?" she asked shocked. "Dying for a mere human?" Inuyasha frowned.

"Yes, should it come to that," he said. "And you're not just a mere human! I am a mere half-breed, but you…you…you are something special." Kagome blushed, then frowned.

"What's wrong with a half-breed?" she said. "I told you that I thought it was cool!" She hugged him tight. "It doesn't matter to me if you are a half-demon, full demon, or full human, you're still the same person. You're still Inuyasha! It doesn't matter to me what form you come in! I would give my life for you just as easily!" Tears began to flow down Inuyasha's cheeks. He hugged her tight. She looked up at him. He looked down at her. They didn't feel the endless slashes that were being committed on their body any more. "One more thing," Kagome continued. "Why are you so willing to follow in your father's footsteps when it is a past that you have been trying to overcome?" He stared at her and moved his face closer to hers until their noses were touching.

"Because, Kagome," he began. "I…I…"

"C'mon guys!" Sango and Miroku said under their breath as they watched the two.

Kagome smiled. This gave Inuyasha reassurance. He smiled back at her.

"Kagome, I love you!" he finally blurted out. Tears filled Kagome's eyes. She gripped his shirt tighter and flung herself on him. `Oh, God,' he thought. `Please tell me that she loves me!' His worry was soon put to rest.

"I love you, too, Inuyasha!!! I have loved you so much!" she said crying. She looked up at him. "I have waited for you to say that to me for so long!" He looked down at her and smiled relief and shear joy overwhelming his body. They no longer felt the fatal wounds that had been inflicted on their bodies.

"I have loved you, too, Kagome! I was just afraid that you didn't feel the same way!" he said hugging her tight. They stared at each other for what seemed like ages, then slowly moved in for true love's first kiss. Their eyes were filled with faith, longing, love, and trust. Finally, Inuyasha's lips met Kagome's and they wrapped themselves in their first and what could be their last passionate kiss.