InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Losing Another ❯ Chapter Seven: Intermission ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

Chapter Seven: Intermission-The First Date

Kagome made a face. She wasn’t exactly happy with the arrangement, but it was something that her mom thought would be best for the family, and especially Shippou. Her mother had informed her earlier that she was to be engaged to the eldest son of Taisho-san. To say that the announcement was greeted with a small amount of shock would be quite the understatement. Kagome had been flabbergasted. But her mother had patiently explained to her the reasoning behind it. As much as Kagome did not understand, she knew that it was not a financial or political arrangement. Sakuya would never 'sell' her daughter. Instead, it was merely a forced introduction to push Sesshoumaru in the direction of marriage. If both parties found the arrangement too disagreeable, then it could easily be dissolved. Unfortunately for them, Touga and Sakuya were quite aware of the pride of their children. Neither would capitulate to the other. Instead, they would try to make the other back out, so it would leave them blameless.

With her limited knowledge mind, Kagome had decided to approach the arrangement as optimistically as possible, and quickly found all her hopes shattered. Did her intended have to be such a jackass? Kagome had met Inuyasha, but couldn’t really remember the elder brother since she hadn’t really seen him since she was seven. She couldn’t remember much about him at all, so the two scheming parents had decided that it would be best if the two of them went out to dinner to get to know each other better. Unfortunately, Taisho-san had arranged the meeting, so now the couple sat uncomfortably in one of the classiest restaurants in Tokyo. It was all formal. Needless to say, Kagome was feeling like a fish out of water, but Sesshoumaru seemed right at home in a crowd full of stuck-up snobs.

Sesshoumaru eyed the girl warily. She was such…a girl! There was nothing mature or womanly about her at all! The way she sat, the way she stood, her childish pouting, even her tone of voice! She had no control over herself and was as wild as his half-brother. She could at least take the situation with a little dignity. His eyes narrowed. As distasteful as it was, he still would be the honorable man and marry the wench, even if he hated the situation as much as he already hated the girl. “If you would kindly unscrunch your face, I’m sure you would appear much more attractive than a mud-covered eight year old.” He said blandly.

Stormy blue-grey eyes widened. “WHAT?! It’s better than looking like a pompous pretty-boy. I’ll bet you spend three hours in front of the mirror every morning applying make-up to make sure your charmingly effeminate features are mirror-shatteringly perfect!”

Sesshoumaru scowled. “Pray tell, wench, how old are you?” He demanded coldly.

“‘Wench’??” Kagome’s jaw clenched. She growled under her breath. Then eyeing the attention they were receiving from the other restaurant patrons, she held back her outburst. She sat back in her seat stiffly and drank from a glass of ice water trying to calm herself.

As much as she wanted to take the water, pour it over Mr. Self-absorbed’s head, then smash the glass onto his thick skull until the man no longer moved, she figured it probably wouldn’t do to make a scene. Still, did the first words out his mouth have to be insulting to her?

“So you are the wench I am to marry?”

Just who did the asshole think he was, ok, so he was the heir to only one of the biggest industries of all Japan but…she was getting side-tracked.

Kagome gently set down the glass and shot Sesshoumaru a dirty look, which was promptly ignored. He was far too amused at her attempt at controlling herself. She was such a child.

“Twenty-two.” She muttered.

“Good. Then I cannot be accused of pedophilia when we are forced to be seen together in public.” He replied, taking a sip of his own water with a superior air.

“WHAT THE HELL!?!!” She screeched, standing up quickly.

“Your mouth is as foul as Inuyasha’s.” He grimaced distastefully. “Perhaps once we are wed, you should remain away from my bastard sibling. His terrible manners seemed to have rubbed off on you.” He observed calmly.

“That’s it!!!” Kagome chucked the water glass at the man’s head and spun on her heel, retreating quickly out of the restaurant.

With reflexes borne of pure, natural athleticism, Sesshoumaru caught the thrown glass easily, not spilling a drop of the iced liquid. He raised a brow at the retreating woman before raising his hand to alert their server. “Check, please.”

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-