InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse ❯ Hell Spawn II The Void ( Chapter 38 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Characters and most situations owned by Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I can dream, however…
 
Bouquets: to all the readers and reviewers who have stuck with this fic so far…thanks for your support!
 
A/N: The storyline is still in the month of March and coming up on the night of the new moon…hasn't been a month since they mated…
 
The Phoenix Blade: Time Lapse
Chapter 38: Hell Spawn II The Beckoning Void
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Sengoku Jidai
 
The lazy flowing river shrouded in mist, the thick stands of reeds whispering sibilantly, the early chorus of birds all painted an idyllic picture of a very early spring morning…until the viewer looked beyond the surface pleasantness. A few curious ducks were animatedly discussing the sudden appearance of bamboo poles bobbing in the current, followed by a few colourful scraps of cloth. The reasons for this unexpected water pollution were varied, violent, and originated a little farther upstream.
 
Miroku-sama! I'm so glad to see you! You came back for me!”
 
“Ah, er…yes! Wonderful to see you, too…”
 
Her fresh young face shining with adoration, the girl laughed merrily. “You probably don't recognize me! It's Koharu, Miroku-sama!”
 
“Why, yes…of course. My, you certainly have grown up into a lovely young lady…Koharu.” If Kagome didn't know better, she'd swear the monk was uncomfortable. She and Sango were finishing filling the canteens at the water's edge, the task from which the slayer had been rudely interrupted by the men chasing down the young girl.
 
Steam gently wafted from Sango's reddened ears. “I'm sure he can't keep track of all the women he's propositioned…I'll bet he keeps a little black scroll somewhere…”
 
Kagome carefully kept her voice neutral, while watching the couple out of the corner of her eye. “She seems pretty pleased to see him; those guys we rescued her from were sure unpleasant. I don't think that lord's face will ever be the same.”
 
Inuyasha landed beside them, stealing a quick kiss from Kagome; Sango looked away. “What's up with that wench? Oh, shit…don't look now, but I think he's asked her…” Indeed, Miroku did have his hands clasped, but it was the girl doing the clasping, an earnest expression on her young face as she said something, to which Miroku gravely replied. Inuyasha cocked his ear. “Keh, that's a switch…she's propositioning him.” Sango shot to her feet and stormed off towards the waiting horses; Kagome was sure she could now smell smoke.
 
“Oi, Miroku…we're on a mission…save the sweet talk for later!” Miroku tucked the flushed girl's hand under his arm and walked towards them, sagely nodding his head at her bubbling chatter.
 
“Kagome-sama, Inuyasha…this is young Koharu. I met her a few years ago when I was last in this area…”
 
Miroku-sama was so kind to me! He gave me something to eat and said I was pretty and asked how old I was and told me he'd come back for me and here he is! I'm so happy!”
 
Kagome blinked at the excited girl. “Um, pleased to meet you, Koharu…er, how…old…were you when you last saw Miroku-sama?”
 
“I was eleven…I know I was too young then, but I'm fifteen now and I can bear his child!”
 
Inuyasha's dark brows shot towards his hairline, and his claws twitched. “Houshi…do you mean to tell me you propositioned a child?”
 
Miroku raised his free hand in a placating gesture. “I never laid a hand on her…at the time, Buddha is my witness.” The hanyou's eyebrows didn't come back down. Kagome peeled Koharu's hand from Miroku's arm, and began walking her towards the horses, leaving Inuyasha to deal with the monk.
 
“Tell me about yourself, Koharu. Why were those men chasing you?”
 
The girl quieted, and sadness dimmed her bright eyes. “I was orphaned when I was little, and a rich family took me in.”
 
“Threatening to cut off your hands and feet in punishment seems like an odd way to treat a member of your family…”
 
“Oh, they didn't adopt me, sama…I was a servant. Actually, more like a slave. They worked me very hard and I never had enough to eat…and then came the day when Miroku-sama arrived to do an exorcism…” Koharu trailed off, her eyes going all dreamy, a soft smile on her face.
 
Kagome couldn't help but smile back. “He made a real impression on you.”
 
“He was the most wonderful man I'd ever met…he was so handsome and kind to me…he's the reason why I didn't give up, why I didn't run away until now.”
 
Kagome noticed that Shippo was already leading the horses from his spot on a very ramrod-straight Sango's shoulder, Kirara perched on the other; she kept Koharu some distance behind the animals. “So, what happened that made you run?”
 
Tears trickled down Koharu's freckled cheeks. Kagome put her arm around the girl's shoulders. “The young lord…he took notice of me…last night he…he ordered me to his chambers.”
 
“Koharu…”
 
The girl straightened up, clenching her fist. “He didn't touch me! I grabbed a lamp holder and hit him until he wasn't moving anymore, and blood came out his nose…and then I ran. It's destiny, sama, I just know it! Every day I prayed that Miroku-sama would return for me, and today he did!” Kagome eyed the girl's heartfelt expression and tightly clasped hands, and suddenly felt rather old and cynical.
 
“Miroku-sama means quite a lot to you.”
 
Koharu gripped Kagome's arm and looked directly into her eyes. “I would die for him, sama, I truly would. He gave me hope and a reason for living…his memory was a bright light in the darkness of my days…” Before the discussion could go downhill any farther, Inuyasha arrived at Kagome's elbow.
 
“Miroku needs to talk to you, wench.” Koharu gasped happily and scampered back to attach herself to the monk's arm, beaming up at him adoringly.
 
“What are we going to do with her?” Kagome kept her voice low.
 
“She can't come with us!”
 
“Shhh…keep your voice down, dog-boy. Of course she can't…Miroku will have to put his silver tongue to use in finding her a new situation, preferably without any lecherous sons…or fathers or grandfathers, for that matter.”
 
“Keh! Not to mention monks…” Inuyasha slid his arm around her waist and pulled her close. Kagome reciprocted, hooking her thumb into his obi next to Tetsusaiga's hilt.
 
“Thanks for standing my watch last night, koibito.”
 
“No problem, wench. Miroku and I spelled off. I wouldn't let him back inside, anyways.”
 
“Um…why not?”
 
“Keh! Because my girl was pretty much naked, and I wouldn't trust him not to peek.”
 
“Come on! He wouldn't dare…uh, hold it. Thanks.”
 
“Naraku's illusion really shook him…I think he's now determined to leave a few more hunters to follow him.”
 
“Poor Sango.”
 
“At least the slayer doesn't have anything to regret, since she didn't get involved with him…and before you ask, no, I don't regret getting involved with you at all.”
 
“Am I that pathetically obvious?”
 
“Keh!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome took Koharu off Miroku's hands for a while, to give him a chance to plan his spiel. Miroku tried to make eye contact with Sango, who refused to even look his way, so he took a risk and picked up his pace until he had caught up with her. Shippo took one look and high-tailed it for safer ground on Juhi's back. Kirara, however, stuck tight to her spot on Sango's shoulder and hissed quietly at Miroku.
 
The monk ran a finger into the collar of his robe, which suddenly felt too tight. Sango kept looking determinedly ahead, a scowl gracing her features. “Er…I hope that we may find a suitable situation for Koharu in the next village. After what's happened to her today, somewhere safe is very important.”
 
“Yes…especially since she's taking your promise very seriously.”
 
“Uh, well…I haven't promised her anything out of the ordinary…”
 
“You said you'd return for her! That's a very big deal for a child…except she's a child no longer. I suppose you'll ask her to support your usual lechery.”
 
“Uh…I ask the same of every woman I meet…” Miroku rubbed the back of his neck
 
“With the same amount of sincerity, no doubt. If Koharu's willing to die for you, she'd be thrilled if all she had to do to prove her love was lie down and spread…”
 
“Sango-sama, have I given offence by not asking you to bear my child?” He was so intent on seeing her expression that he didn't notice her fist balling…
 
Inuyasha sighed and yanked Miroku upright. The monk was sporting obvious damage from Hiraikotsu's edge, as well as Sango's fist. “Ya gotta real way with women, don't ya houshi?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Koharu could not be consoled; huge tears rolled down her cheeks and splashed onto her lap. She bit her trembling lip as she stared at Inuyasha with the most pleading eyes he'd ever had the misfortune to deal with. Mentally considering several violent solutions to Miroku's amorous proclivities, he schooled his expression into one of stern finality.
 
“You can't stay with us, wench. It's too dangerous, and you'll only be a target for our enemies. You'll protect Miroku by agreeing to stay here if the headman lets you.”
 
A bout of wailing was forestalled by Miroku's appearance. He was solemn, and Koharu's tears became a flood as she realized what the implications were immediately. Inuyasha scooped Kagome and carried her up over the crest of the hill to where Shippo and Kirara sat in the greening grass. Sango was also there, studiously looking toward the far horizon. They watched Miroku sit down and draw the distraught girl into his arms. Kagome and Inuyasha looked at each other.
 
“Keh! How's that going to make it easier for her to let go?”
 
Kagome lay down on her stomach and wriggled closer to the edge for a better look; Inuyasha took a grip on her obi. “You sure he isn't seducing her?”
 
Shippo landed on her head and peered intently down at the entwined couple. “Eeyew…out in broad daylight? That's worse than you two.” Kirara growled at the same time as the hanyou, and scampered over to Sango, where she curled into the slayer's lap.
 
“C'mon wench, let's give `em some privacy… you too, runt.”
 
“I wonder how much I could charge for tickets?”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Thank you, sir, for your kind assistance to this young lady. May Buddha grant you health and long life.”
 
“Ye are most welcome, houshi-sama. Are ye sure ye do not wish to remain here for the night?”
 
“Yes. It will only be harder for Koharu if this goodbye is prolonged until morning. I bid you good evening.”
 
Kagome had purchased supplies from her stash of silver coins, and restocked the saddlebags for a couple of days. She looked back at the smoke puffing out of the chimney of the village bathhouse and thought longingly of hot water and a clean futon. She turned away with a sigh and tied the last bag closed. A clawed hand descended on her shoulder and slid up around the back of her neck to massage the base of her skull.
 
She slipped her hand into Inuyasha's, and they walked along the road in the gloaming, leading the horses. Shippo sat on Inuyasha's shoulder, munching something a villager had given him, occasionally pointing out a constellation or two. Sango and Miroku brought up the rear; the monk was uncharacteristically quiet, but that may have been due to the filthy looks Kirara was gifting him with from her perch on the slayer's shoulder. Sango finally had to ask the question that had been eating at her all afternoon.
 
“Why didn't you stay the night with Koharu?”
 
He seemed surprised; Sango wondered why.
 
“Would it have been wise to leave such a young girl with a living memento of our night together? If I am unsuccessful in bringing about Naraku's destruction, then she will be doubly burdened with both a child and a curse for which she has no preparation.”
 
“If you honestly feel this responsible, why on earth do you always ask women to bear your child?”
 
“Sango-sama, please forgive me, but I need to clear my thoughts and meditate a little. The events of the last little while have been very upsetting, and I fear it will only get worse.”
 
Sango's mouth, which had fallen open, closed with a snap, and they walked along in silence for a short distance, until the sound of shuffling feet coming up behind them caught their attention. Sango squinted into the darkness, and picked out moving shape plus a torch or two. “It appears to be the people from the village. I wonder what's going on? Inuyasha…looks like trouble heading our way.”
 
The hanyou wheeled around, saw the sharp farm implements thanks to his superior night vision, gripped and tossed Kagome up onto Arashi's back in a smooth movement. The surprised girl recovered quickly and brought both horses around. The flaring torchlight did nothing to minimize the surreal scene. The villagers raised their hoes and scythes and axes, and shuffled forward, their eyes oddly blank. Inuyasha muttered a curse and dove past Miroku and Sango to take out the first row with his fist. The second row wavered a bit, but then came onward.
 
“Inuyasha! Can you smell anything? They must be possessed!”
 
“No damn demon scent at all…shit! By all the hells…up there! Fucking hell wasps! Naraku has to be around here somewhere!”
 
Miroku barely spared the hovering insects a second glance as he bolted through the centre of the reeling villagers, knocking several out of his path with his staff, racing back towards the cluster of buildings just visible in the pale moonlight.
 
“Sango! Get on Juhi…we'll rush them.” Kagome slowed the horses next to the slayer; Sango swung aboard the gelding despite the skirts of her kosode. Shippo adjusted his grip on Inuyasha's fire-rat, where he'd clung during the first take-down and bared his small fangs. Putting their heels to the horses, they thundered straight towards the massed humanity, which parted at the last second and they passed through without resistance. Kagome pulled back on the reins.
 
“Y'know, that was…”
 
“Too fucking easy…again. Another fucking trap. I am so sick of this shit…”
 
“Maybe we can grab Koharu and bolt right out the other side?”
 
“Keh! In your dreams we'd get away with it…”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Miroku, despite being on foot, managed to beat both the horses and the hanyou to the collection of houses. Any plan of grabbing the girl and monk went by the wayside as more and more of the villagers shambled out to fill the gaps in their lines and pressed in closer. Kagome swung off Arashi; Shippo replaced her in the saddle. Sango gave him Juhi's reins, and by unspoken consent, he and Kirara took the horses out of the direct line of fire.
 
Inuyasha pushed Kagome behind him. “Well, what do we do? Naraku will try to split us up, since that's his usual game…we've already lost the houshi, dammit.”
 
“Right here, Inuyasha. Should we try to keep the villagers back? If they are possessed, we can only defend ourselves until we find a way to break the spell…” Miroku kept a steadying arm around Koharu, who looked terrified.
 
“We'll play Naraku's game, to a point. Dog-boy, you and houshi keep the villagers from coming any closer, and Sango and I will search for Naraku's pet. He's not here; no shards or aura, so the worst it can be is a golem…”
 
“Or Kagura!” Inuyasha cracked his knuckles.
 
“I'll keep a barrier handy. If it turns out to be her, I'll give you a shout. Now, go play nice with the possessed villagers…come on Koharu. You don't need to see this.” Kagome once again pried Koharu's fingers out of Miroku's robes and pulled her into the headman's house.
 
Once inside, the girl seemed to hesitate, and chewed on her fist. “I-I think I saw something before I passed out. A strange girl dressed all in white, carrying something shiny in her hands…”
 
Kagome and Sango looked at each other. “Inside the house?”
 
“Y-yes…”
 
Sango rolled her eyes. “Keep your arrows handy, Kagome. I'll take it out with Hiraikotsu.”
 
Kagome tugged Koharu's sleeve. “Stay behind me. If we can kill it, everything will go back to normal, and you'll be safe.” The three girls edged through the darkened building. Sango held Hiraikotsu at the ready, and Kagome's arrow glowed like a torch. They both jumped badly when Koharu screamed shrilly; she'd stumbled over the limp body of a young serving boy that the other two girls had managed to avoid.
 
“Do you sense anything, Kagome?”
 
“Not a damn thing…how about you?”
 
“The bastard's toying with us…I know he is!”
 
The scratchy whisper of a shoji being slowly opened had their complete attention. Slowly, eerily, the panel slid back, the hair rising on the backs of their necks, until something white glimmered in the darkness beyond. Kagome notched her arrow, but held back to cover Sango's attack. They both tensed, and Sango lifted the weapon into throwing position, eyes locked on the target. The door creaked again, and she hurled Hiraikotsu.
 
There was a sharp, loud crack, the wooden panel sagged on a drunken angle…and the Hiraikotsu slammed into Sango with a sickening thunk, knocking the girl backwards and nearly taking Kagome down as well. The boomerang skated to a halt on the other side of the room and lay there, rocking gently from the momentum.
 
Kagome's first instinct was to look to Sango, but she gritted her teeth and took aim at the ghost-white figure, which was revealed to be a young girl dressed in a glowing white kimono, with pale hair and fathomless dark eyes. The arrow tip burned brightly as she drew a bead on the girl's throat. The missile went wide when she was seized from behind in a powerful grip. She jammed her heel onto her attacker's instep and went for the overhead throw when her name was called. Kagome snapped her head up and looked right into a small, round mirror.
 
“Give me your soul, Kagome. My lord demands it.” A familiar, horrible, nearly forgotten pain that started in the pit of her stomach and felt like her insides were being torn out dropped the girl to her knees, until she was huddled next to Sango's inert form.
 
Can't breathe…
We're still here, Nixie. Hang on….
You have some soul to spare, Phoenix. This will clean out the excess baggage.
Hurts…
S'okay, sweetheart.
N`yasha…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“Take care, Inuyasha! Don't harm these good people!”
 
“I know, Miroku…dammit! I hope the girls take care of whatever is controlling them soon…”
 
“Still no sign of any demon scent?”
 
“Not a fucking trace…”
 
“Perhaps you need to blow your nose, hanyou.” Both men whirled around, and Inuyasha started snarling. Kagura floated over the heads of the villagers, her fan slightly opened, and a smile of pure evil delight on her ruby lips. “Too bad you haven't given me any fresh meat to play with; I was looking forward to watching you dance again.”
 
“This…isn't your doing?” Miroku was visibly staggered.
 
“Of course not! I prefer the dead to dance for me…it is my sister Kanna who collects the souls of the living to perform for her. She should have dealt with your women by now…”
 
Inuyasha's fangs seemed to lengthen in the torchlight. “Miroku…go find the girls. Leave this bitch to me.” His tone brooked no argument, and Miroku backed away several steps before turning and racing for the house. Kagura watched him go, a malicious twinkle in her eye.
 
“Your Kagome will be a soulless husk by now, Inuyasha, a husk under Naraku's control as surely as any of these villagers. Perhaps she'll shoot you with a sacred arrow, which should bring back memories.”
 
The Tetsusaiga roared into existence, and a fiery-eyed hanyou levelled it at her. “If Kagome is hurt, the seventh hell won't be deep enough to hide any of you. I can tell you're dying to show me some new trick, wind-bitch…let's go.”
 
Kagura smiled and snapped her fan fully open, sending an array of whirling scythes at him. “ `Dance of Blades'!”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kanna stared dispassionately at Kagome, as the pearlescent streamers of the girl's soul coalesced like water vapour on the surface of her mirror. `Your soul refuses to be imprisoned…but you are paralyzed none-the-less. I will take your Shikon shard for Naraku-sama…” Before she could make good on her intention, the dark-haired girl rolled up to sitting and notched an arrow to her bow. Sweat beaded up on Kagome's forehead with the effort required, and it seemed to take forever for the arrow tip to flame.
 
“Sango-sama! Koharu! Kagome-sama! What…what is this?” Miroku stalled in the doorway, taking in the scene for a split second before throwing a handful of sutras ahead of him at the white girl, who turned sideways and vanished into nothingness. The sutras fluttered to the floor as he ran to Kagome's side. She collapsed against his chest as he frantically tried to rouse Sango from her swoon.
 
“You're lucky, Miroku…she would have stolen your soul as well. Don't look directly into her mirror…” Miroku had to listen carefully to hear Kagome's whisper, then realized Koharu was missing.
 
“Koharu? Where are you? Ah…” He lowered Kagome, who weakly tried to grip his robe, to warn him, but missed and could only watch as the monk ran to embrace the young girl who appeared in the doorway. Despite the pain in her chest, she inhaled to scream a warning when she saw the knife appear in Koharu's hand. Despite his concern, Miroku's senses weren't dulled. He twisted out of her grip, knocked the knife away and punched her as gently as he could in the jaw. With a sigh, Koharu folded over his arm, and he laid her down gently. He turned back to Kagome. “Her soul is inside that creature's mirror? Sango-sama's as well?”
 
Kagome shook her head slowly, her vision swimming with the effort. “Koharu's…but not Sango's…mirror reflected…Hiraikotsu back at Sango…hit her full-on…”
 
Miroku knelt at her side and felt her forehead. “You are cold, Kagome-sama. How is it that you are not being controlled?”
 
“Too…bitchy…”
 
He arched an eyebrow. At that moment, a small whiskery head appeared around the doorframe, and Kirara was worriedly pawing at Sango a moment later.
 
“Kirara…can you please take us out of here? Inuyasha needs us…” The fire-cat yowled and transformed. With Miroku's help, Kagome managed to slide onto her back and then held Sango's limp body, clutching the back of the slayer's kimono while she fought off her own sickening pain. Miroku started for Koharu; Kagome stopped him.
 
“Leave her here…give her a sutra or something… to protect her while she's unconscious… it isn't safe for her out there.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
“What's the matter, Inuyasha? You aren't attacking me at all…although it is rather amusing watching your acrobatics…” Inuyasha skidded to a stop, then had to go airborne to avoid another twister. Kagura smirked. “You're really nothing without your little girl to help…too bad she's merely a memory by now…” Inuyasha's snarling retort was bitten off when he smelt the telltale trace of fresh, clean air marking the path of the `Wind Scar'. Bringing up Tetsusaiga, he prepared to unleash his attack, and then found his target blocked by the packed ranks of villagers.
 
“Dammit, you bitch! Come out from behind these people and fight me!”
 
“All in good time, Inuyasha, but not just yet. I am so enjoying your performance….who's this? Ah, our audience has arrived for the final part of the show.” Inuyasha's attention was distracted ever so slightly by the sight of Kagome arriving on Kirara, the monk steadying both her and a comatose Sango. Kagura let loose a twister that caught him in the chest, knocking him off his feet and face first into the ground. Gritting his teeth, he pulled himself upright…just as the villagers parted, leaving a clear line of fire at the wind witch, who looked momentarily surprised, but then gleamed a smile.
 
“Time to die, Inuyasha… `Dance of Blades'!” Kagura's smile became wider as the hanyou raised the Tetsusaiga. He barely registered Miroku's warning shout, but it was too late.
 
“ `Wind Scar'!” The demonic power screamed away, dead on the target…which had increased in size. A small, ghost-white girl stepped in front of Kagura and held up a filigree-edged circular mirror. Inuyasha barely had time to notice her presence when he was struck by his own attack. Excruciating pain burned through his body and limbs as he was engulfed in sparkling red flames, underlain by a brief burst of white light. His last conscious thought was know how…Sesshomaru…felt… and then the blackness mercifully took him away.
 
Miroku paused in the act of helping slide Sango down off of Kirara to watch, horrified, as the hanyou vanished inside a ball of his sword's demonic energy. Kagome took a firm grip on Kirara's ruff, and forced herself to search for Inuyasha's youkai. His heartbeat was still strong….When the dust settled, the hanyou lay in the centre of a fan-shaped patch of scorched earth, blood puddling and trickling along the ground, which was deeply scored by the tracks of the `Wind Scar' running in two directions. His golden eyes were open, but blank and unseeing. Kagome, feeling like she was moving underwater, reached for her quiver. Miroku finished lowering Sango to the ground and angled the Hiraikotsu over her for protection, then stood in front of Kagome with his staff at the ready.
 
A dark figure materialized behind Kagura and Kanna, a satisfied smirk twisting his face. Miroku spat an epithet and raced down the slope to place himself between Inuyasha and Naraku. Kagome gasped, gripped her bow and arrow more firmly, and gently nudged Kirara with her heels. “Please take me to Inuyasha, Kirara…this is serious…”
 
Fenik…Midoriko…
On deck, Phoenix. Can you control your power?
Have to try…
That's our girl.
 
Miroku had nearly yanked the last loop of prayer beads away when Naraku deigned to speak. “If you open the Vortex, you will kill all of the villagers as well as your precious miko when you suck in Kanna's mirror.” With another oath, Miroku secured the beads, but didn't leave his protective position in front of the hanyou. “Now, does the one about to die have any last requests? I'm feeling generous.”
 
“Naraku…does the creature known as Kanna also bear a spider marking on her back, like Kagura and yourself?”
 
Naraku nodded thoughtfully. “Very good, monk. I am impressed. Yes, they bear the spider mark because they are creations of my flesh. Kagura is the wind, and Kanna the void.”
 
“No demonic aura, no scent…nothing to give away her presence. How have you gained this new power?”
 
The dark hanyou threw back his head and laughed, a chilling, evil sound. “Thanks to my new ally, who gave me a valuable item to seal the pact. In return, I intend on making her a gift of Inuyasha's head.”
 
“Your ally desires Inuyasha's life as well?”
 
“I rather anticipate the look on Kikyo's face when I present her with my token of appreciation. Kagura, if you please?” Inuyasha's eyes suddenly focussed as Naraku's words penetrated the fog of pain, and he groaned audibly.
 
Kagura chuckled darkly. “I'll enjoy this more than I should…” and snapped her fan in a downward slash. A blazing violet-pink bolt of light intercepted the wind blade, and all eyes flew to a dark-haired girl astride a snarling neko-youkai, both of them crackling with silver fire.
 
“I prefer Inuyasha's head to remain where it is…one false move, and yours will be forfeit instead, Naraku.” Kagome calmly lined up another shot as Kirara paced forward to stand over the fallen hanyou. The girl kept her weapon trained on the dark figure, who was looking most displeased.
 
“Kanna, why is she still moving?” The pale child wordlessly turned to show him the mirror, where the pearly haze projected beyond the surface. “Ah, I see…her soul refuses to be contained. She will be more of a challenge than I thought…”
 
“Stick it somewhere dark and uncomfortable, Naraku…since you allowed Miroku a couple of questions, how about you answer mine? Did Kikyo give you the Shikon shard I can see glowing in the centre of your chest?”
 
“As a matter of fact she did, shadow-maiden.”
 
“Willingly?”
 
“With her own fair hands. It appears that her desire to bring about your deaths is more important than any loyalty to the hanyou she loved.”
 
“You make me sick…know this, Naraku. You injured my mate…and I will never forgive you. Prepare to be purified.” A surge of power sizzled through her, and Kagome drew back the bowstring even tighter.
 
“You would risk your own death for the sake of this hanyou?”
 
“I would risk everything for Inuyasha.”
 
“K'go-me…be…careful…” The rasping voice from below gave her more hope.
 
“No chance, dog-boy…it isn't our day to die.” Using the shard as an aiming point, she let the arrow fly and watched it head straight and true for Naraku's torso. Kanna moved, held up the mirror, and the arrow flew right into it, disappearing entirely. For a long moment, nothing happened.
 
“Kanna! Take the rest of her soul!”
 
The white girl seemed surprised, although her face remained blank. “The mirror will not obey me, Naraku-sama…I must release the souls, or it will be destroyed.”
 
Kagome slid off Kirara's back and the neko-youkai crouched beside her, shielding her and Inuyasha. There came a strange, hollow ringing sound, and then Miroku dove over top of Kirara, landing behind Kagome and readying a sutra…for what, he wasn't sure.
 
Glowing balls of light exploded outwards, arced upwards and descended into the mass of villagers, who dropped like stones. For some reason, Kagome's battle-sight clicked on, and she realized a barrier was waiting to be deployed…plus, her katana was in her hand.
 
Midoriko? Fenik? What's going on?
Just making sure that we're the only voices in your head, sweetheart.
Let us do this, Phoenix. We will protect you.
Do what?
Ready, Riko?
Always, Fennie.
 
Two white globes split off from the main mass and headed directly for her; Miroku shouted something she couldn't quite catch, and then her body took over. As the larger ball impacted her chest, her sword swung up and deflected the second, smaller orb. The blade sparked, Fenikkusuken snarled and the barrier encased her. Through the pain of her soul knitting itself back into place, Kagome watched the repulsed globe circle the barrier, the tip of her sword tracking its flight until it veered off and away.
 
Was that…?
No more peeping Kikyo, Nixie.
It's over.
 
Was she imagining it, or did Midoriko sound relieved?
 
Then Kagome noticed something else that made her skin crawl. Above the dark trees crowding the verges of the fields, white eel-like shapes twisted and twined. Soul collectors…were they attracted by the souls being toyed with here? Or…was Kikyo nearby, waiting for delivery of her grisly gift of Inuyasha's head? The small sphere rejected by her barrier was scooped by a glowing wraith, which disappeared into the darkness.
 
Miroku leapt to his feet and unleashed the Vortex, but was a split-second too late. Kagura slashed a wind-wall at him, and in the moment it impacted, the dark hanyou and his minions were gone. Miroku growled, rewound the beads, scooped his staff and took off in the direction of Sango.
 
Kagome's senses went back to normal, and the pain in her body receded. She dropped the barrier, sheathed her katana and crawled over to Inuyasha. His silver hair was spread over the ground above his head, the shredded sleeves of his fire-rat limp banners showing the direction of the blast he'd survived. The Tetsusaiga thrummed and finally retransformed back to its usual shabby state. Kagome leaned over her hanyou, stroking his cheeks and wiping the blood away before kissing him gently on the lips. He managed a wan smile.
 
Damn…that hurt…hope it doesn't…take me…two weeks…to heal…”
 
“You'll be more of a pleasure to guard than your brother, I'm sure.” Kagome kissed him again, then carefully took hold of Tetsusaiga, noting that it rumbled in a reassuring sort of way, and sheathed it. Kirara, who had been watching Miroku's efforts to rouse Sango with narrowed eyes, moved around behind Inuyasha and delicately took the shoulder of his haori in her teeth. She managed to lift the hanyou enough that Kagome could brace him, and then repeated the action until he was propped on his feet so that he could sprawl over the fire-cat's broad back.
 
They were well quit of the village by the time the inhabitants began to recover, wondering at the bruises and dirt on their bodies, and why they apparently had decided to sleep outside in the fields. Some exclaimed over the impressive grooves scoring the ground, resembling the claw marks left by a truly monstrous beast.
 
Inside the headman's house, Koharu awakened slowly, her head, her jaw and her foot throbbing. As she brought up a hand to her brow, parchment crinkled in her fingers. Her eyes widened as she recognized a sacred sutra…signed by Miroku-sama? With a sob, she pushed herself to her feet and tottered outside into the morning light. Blinking, she shaded her eyes to scan the area for her beloved houshi-sama, but knew in her heart that he was gone.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
The next day and several miles away, in an isolated herdsman's hut, Inuyasha groaned lightly. He smelled musty dry straw, old wood, dampness, blood-trace, disinfectant, clean bandages…and Kagome. Her floral scent, shining bright in the darkness behind his closed eyelids, helped give him the strength to open them. A soft cloth, cool with water, wiped over his forehead and down his cheek. Kagome smiled at him, and dabbed the cloth at his other cheek before kissing him. She's so damn beautiful…“Thirsty?” He nodded, and she produced a canteen of liquid, holding his head up so he could sip it.
 
“Ah, you've awakened, Inuyasha.” Miroku's calm voice came from somewhere on the other side of the small hut. Kagome moved aside so he could squint at the monk. “I am impressed at your resilience, considering you survived your own attack.”
 
“The Tetsusaiga saved your life, Inuyasha!” Shippo was at his shoulder, his small hands awkwardly and gently patting the hanyou's cheek and shoulder. “I saw the whole thing! Just before the `Wind Scar' hit you, your sword threw up a wall of white light. I guess it blocked the main blast just enough…”
 
Sango's voice entered the conversation; Inuyasha swivelled his ears…damn! Even that hurt…and decided that she was lying on the floor. “I-is it true that Naraku has our shards of the Shikon Jewel?”
 
Inuyasha smelt Kagome's scent spike; she wouldn't meet his eyes, rather, she busied herself with wringing out the cloth. Miroku answered finally, after noting Kagome's sudden skittishness. “Yes. Naraku was given the shards by Kikyo-sama, apparently as part of a deal that involved Inuyasha's death.”
 
The hanyou closed his eyes, but not before he gritted his teeth against the pain and circled Kagome's wrist with his claws, bringing her hand up to kiss. He knew he deserved at least an `I told you so', and was glad when she turned her palm and cupped his cheek gently.
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
When he woke up again, he was aware of gentle breath ghosting over his less-injured shoulder and knew it was Kagome. Her warm body curled against him, her weapon-calloused fingers resting lightly on his upper arm, about the only part of him that didn't hurt. The two of them were covered by an unzipped bedroll and cushioned by straw. Turning his head slightly, he saw Miroku propped up against the wall and Sango lying on the floor wrapped in another bedroll, Kirara and Shippo at her side. Listening carefully, he detected the light crackle of a barrier inside the hut…no doubt anchored by arrows… and heard the horses' hooves shifting outside the hut, as well as the morning calls of birds.
 
Kagome sighed, her fingers curling on his skin, and he turned to look at her sleeping face. Wincing at the pain, he carefully rolled onto his side and slipped his arm around her, splaying his hand across her back. She squirmed closer to him, her fingers lightly tapping on his chest…and then opened her eyes. He watched her blink until she focussed, slowly registered what she was looking at, and then met her smile with his own. She cuddled against him, pressing her hand flat over his bandages and kissed the skin closest to her lips.
 
He wished they could stay like this for a while, days preferably, just laying in each other's arms, the world outside reduced to bird and insect sounds. Slender fingers lightly traced his jawline, and then Kagome was pressing gentle kisses up his throat to his cheek. He slid his hand up her back to the nape of her neck and tangled his claws in her hair while they kissed slowly and deeply. He wondered why she still had her body armour on, then realized that their entire defensive line was made up of her and Miroku. He cautiously wriggled his foot until it made contact with hers…yup, she was still wearing her combat boots as well.
 
At that moment, he also realized why she was being careful about where she put her hands on him…she was afraid of putting pressure on his bandaged ribs. He was glad that she wasn't as worried about the condition of his tongue, since she was happily engaging him in a heated, arousing duel that left both of them pink-cheeked. They broke apart for air and smiled at each other; he stroked through her hair with a hand made clumsy by his injuries. Kagome studied his amber eyes, wondering what he was thinking, and if he was feeling any pain. She thought she saw a twinge cross his features when he raised his arm a little higher to rub his thumb down the still-healing cut on her cheek. “Maybe you should lie flat again, koibito,” she suggested softly, leaning in to lightly nuzzle his chin.
 
“Can't kiss you then,” he grunted back, dropping his hand from her cheek to pluck at the collar of her body armour, wishing it was off and he could feel her skin. Actually, if he was going to wish, might as well go for the full deal; no clothing constraints, no audience, no injuries to cramp his style, no interruptions and no reason to leave their horizontal position for a really, really long time. He cupped her hip, the leather covering it cool and smooth under his hand. That made him think of something else, even as Kagome's lips were working their way along his collarbone. “You're awfully frisky, koishii, for someone who had their soul forcibly removed again.”
 
Her lips paused only briefly, and her voice tickled his skin. “Naraku and Kanna actually did me a favour.”
 
“How's that?” He couldn't keep the disbelief out of his voice.
 
“She sucked out the bit of Kikyo's soul… and Midoriko and Fenikkusuken stopped it from returning.”
 
“So…we're Kikyo-free?”
 
“Yup. No more peeping mikos…”
 
“So…now we can do really `depraved' things?”
 
Her eyes glinted mischievously. “You're pretty frisky yourself, dog-boy…much more fun than your brother after being `Wind Scar'-red.”
 
Any more intimate conversation or activity was squelched by Miroku clearing his throat. He gave them a moment to disengage. “Good morning, Inuyasha, Kagome-sama…Shippo and I will stir the fire to life, if you will assist us with the meal?” Kagome stuck her tongue out at the monk, shielded from his view by Inuyasha's chest, but started wriggling her way out of their nest. The hanyou stretched, and immediately regretted it, as nearly all his muscles simultaneously screamed at him.
 
“What's on the menu, wench?”
 
“Plain rice porridge.”
 
“Keh! We'll head back to Kaede's as soon as possible…”
 
“Sango can't be moved too quickly. She took a direct hit from Hiraikotsu.”
 
Inuyasha winced sympathetically. “That's gotta hurt…”
 
“Nothing like being taken out by your own weapon to remind yourself why it's better to give than receive. Back in a bit, dog-boy.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Kagome brought Inuyasha his mess tin and one for Sango as well. He could sit up, at least; Sango didn't say a word as Kirara propped her up and Kagome fed her like an infant. After the meal, Kagome convinced Sango to let her have a look at the damage. From the look on his girl's face, Inuyasha guessed it was colourful, at the very least.
 
“Your armour absorbed most of the impact, Sango…though it'll be a while before you can toss Hiraikotsu without discomfort.” Sango said nothing, just curled into Kirara's furry shoulder. Kagome patted the slayer's arm before turning to the hanyou. “Your turn for my tender mercies…time to change your bandages.” Inuyasha cooperated, and was glad to lie down again. He didn't want to admit that he actually had a sneaking sympathy for Sesshomaru, of all people.
 
In the afternoon, Miroku took Shippo out of Kagome's hair on a perimeter check, and after a look at Sango, the girl took off her leather jacket and crawled into the straw next to Inuyasha, settling in for some quiet time. He slipped his less-injured arm under her neck, and she willingly nestled into his shoulder, sighing contentedly. Inuyasha breathed in her wonderful scent and closed his eyes. He felt Kagome tense, and when she growled, low and angrily, in a fairly good approximation of his sound of irritation, his eyes flew open.
 
Soul collectors.
 
At least six spiralled above them, filling the hut with peculiar light and a faint chill. Inuyasha caught Kagome's profile, her teeth bared in a very credible snarl. Guess I'm rubbing off
 
“What in all the hells does she want?”
 
“Maybe wants to thank you for returning that bit of her soul?”
 
Silver-rimmed grey irises flashed. “She's working with Naraku now! If she can find us, so can he!”
 
Inuyasha started to push himself up. Kagome grabbed him. “What do you think you're doing?” she hissed.
 
“I'm not taking Naraku's word for it…I want to hear her answer for myself.” Kagome was open-mouthed as he fumbled for Tetsusaiga and used it as a crutch to push himself upright. He grinned crookedly at her and held out his hand. “I need my bodyguard…shake a leg, wench.”
 
With a spluttered request to Kirara to protect Sango, Kagome grabbed her weapons and slid under his arm to help support him as he staggered. They were barely across the small clearing in front of the hut when they met Miroku and Shippo, both of whom had obviously done some running.
 
“Kagome-sama…Inuyasha…was Kikyo-sama here?”
 
“No…we're going looking for trouble, since not enough finds us all by itself…” Shippo squeaked and ducked behind Kagome as the soul collectors silently circled them. “Shippo, you stay here and help Kirara protect Sango. Miroku, would you please come with us?”
 
Miroku bowed stiffly. “Of course, sama. I, too, am curious to know if Kikyo-sama has indeed decided to throw in her lot with our enemy.”
 
The monk took over assisting Inuyasha, and Kagome prowled ahead as point-man, an arrow ready on her bowstring, watching the track that the soul collectors led them on, noting landmarks for the way back. Her aura crackled lightly, and she was ready to spring into action at the slightest hint of danger. After a short time, the footing became rather uneven; Miroku, already off-balance, slipped and fell, taking Inuyasha with him. Kagome swore colourfully, since they'd come without any supplies, and it looked like a few wounds had been reopened. Damn, damned, damnable
 
A prickling on the back of her neck alerted her, and she spun away from the tangle of monk and hanyou, her arrow tip burning brightly in the sunlight. Unsurprisingly, Kikyo was not pleased to see her…the dark eyes flashed, even though the planes of the face didn't move. Kagome's teeth ground against each other, and she could feel the tension wind closely around her. “Hoping to finish what Naraku started, Kikyo?”
 
The undead miko's eyes floated over to the injured hanyou; Inuyasha's amber eyes were intense and wary. Miroku instinctively stepped across their line of sight, blocking any potential angles of fire. Silence filled the small glade. Kagome's senses screamed at the level of concentration she was forcing them to maintain and her muscles started to finely tremble from the effort of keeping her bow flexed and on target.
 
“Kikyo.” The hanyou's voice was neutral, but firm. He waited until she moved sideways slightly and fastened her dark gaze on him. “Did you give the shards to Naraku?”
 
There was the merest hesitation. “Naraku will continue to increase his powers…do not die by his hands, Inuyasha. Your life belongs to me and none other.” She shot a blistering look at Kagome, who felt an expletive or two coming on, stifled them, and rolled her shoulders slightly as she adjusted her grip on her weapon.
 
“I asked you a question, Kikyo.” Inuyasha's voice became even softer, but somehow more deadly. “Did you give Naraku the shards?”
 
“He will immolate himself in the pyre of his own greed, and then the Jewel will be cleansed from this world…”
 
“You did.”
 
Dark eyes finally met his. “Yes.”
 
Something was left unsaid, and suddenly, Kagome knew that Inuyasha would let Kikyo keep her secrets and her counsel, not demand that she leave them alone, not tell her the price if she tried to hurt his mate. He was going to let Kikyo off easy! The tension wound a bit tighter in Kagome's body. Miroku still stood at her back, but his stance wasn't as taut; he'd picked up on Inuyasha's intent, and was standing down a little.
 
Damned if she wasn't going to say her piece.
 
“You just don't get it, do you?” Kagome grated, her arrow flaming so brightly she wondered when it would simply explode from the effort of holding in the energy. “Your time as guardian of the Jewel is past, Kikyo. Giving it to Naraku has just made it more difficult for us to defeat him…us, Kikyo, not you. We're the ones he's targeting, we're the ones fighting our way out of his traps…not you. You're a bystander, and giving the shard to Naraku puts you on the same side as him…our enemy.” Her voice dropped into a darker register. “You desire Inuyasha's death, but you're allowing Naraku to do your dirty work. What have you promised him in return, I wonder?”
 
“Kagome…enough.” Kagome's eyebrow twitched, but she bit back a few more choice comments at the tone of command in Inuyasha's voice. She could always `sit' him later… Something `pinged' her aura, and she narrowed her eyes at a spot in the underbrush over Kikyo's shoulder. Kikyo whirled around at the same moment, and two arrows slammed through the screening vegetation and into the tree trunk, neatly bracketing a very surprised Kagura, who flung down a feather and vanished.
 
“Why lash out at your ally's incarnation, Kikyo-sama?” Miroku's voice was silken steel. “Was she not here to assist you?”
 
“I did not anticipate this outcome when I gave Naraku the shards…forgive me, Inuyasha.” Kikyo's eyes slid over Inuyasha's bloodied bandages as if seeing them for the first time. “Until I come to claim your life, do not die.” The undead miko turned on her heel and walked away, her soul collectors twining around her.
 
Kagome's arms trembled and her shoulders ached from the effort of holding her bow at the ready for the length of the confrontation. She lowered her weapon and turned to see that same, odd look on Inuyasha's face…the same as the last time…and the tightly coiled spring frayed dangerously, along with her temper. Something clawed and fanged and green-eyed clawed at her chest from inside, and then raised its scaly head and roared as she struggled with a wave of blistering anger.
 
Not this fucking shit again.
 
She kept her bow in her hand, and marched over to help Miroku pull Inuyasha upright, but she was not gentle. Once they'd negotiated the rougher terrain, she pulled away from the hanyou and picked up the pace, ignoring both his roughly-worded question and Miroku's complaint. She had to leave the vicinity before she did some damage that bandages couldn't repair.
 
By the time Miroku half-dragged Inuyasha back to the hut, Kagome was gone. A dazed-looking Shippo had his hands full of bandages as he sat in front of the doorway.
 
“Where's Kagome?” Inuyasha rasped out.
 
“Gone hunting. She left this stuff for Miroku to fix you up.”
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
It was nearly dark before Kagome returned, carrying two skinned and cleaned rabbits. Shippo scampered to help, and between the two of them, laden skewers were soon grilling over the flames. Once dinner was well on the way, she stuck her head into the hut to see how Sango was keeping as well as to retrieve her leather tunic. The slayer was sleeping, and Kagome avoided acknowledging the golden eyes glowing in the darkness. He noticed that something was different about Kagome's profile…something wasn't right.
 
Her hair was fucking braided.
 
“Wench…why are you killing things again?”
 
“Can't kill her, so have to get rid of the aggression somehow.” She grabbed her tunic and turned to leave.
 
“She didn't mean for this to happen.”
 
Kagome froze, seemed to forcibly restrain herself…and then savagely punched the doorframe so hard that showers of debris rained down from the roof. Inuyasha immediately smelled the blood on her hand, the knuckles split even under her gauntlets from the power of the blow. Her head slowly turned. “Just like she didn't mean to give the shards to Naraku?”
 
“Kagome…” She ignored the warning tone in the hanyou's voice.
 
“Every time we confront her, your brain turns to jelly, and you forget how much of a threat she really is. She isn't `poor little Kikyo' who needs to be protected from Naraku. She sought him out, she gave him the Jewel…she's the reason why you and Sango are hurt, not to mention why my soul had another out-of-body experience…”
 
“Do you really expect me to turn away from my responsibility to her?”
 
Kagome couldn't keep the fury out of her voice. “I expect you to remember your responsibility to me…unless, of course, Koga was right after all.” She ignored the sharp, angry intake of breath from the hanyou. I let you off easy last time, dog-boy, with a few kisses and a grope or two in that hot spring…not this time. “Do whatever the fuck you want. I'll take care of myself.” Now she turned to face him fully, the firelight from outside burnishing the armoured curves of her body, shadowing her face, those silver eyes suddenly very cold and glittering. “Naraku will use her as either a shield or a weapon; therefore, you're a liability if she's involved. I can't afford any liabilities on this mission. The stakes are too high.” The flap thumped down into place; she was gone.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes. Fuck
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
A/N: ::rubs hands gleefully:: Yes, I'm going somewhere with this stand-off between our hero and heroine…they can't be too lovey-dovey all the time. Where's the fun in that?