InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Freedom ❯ Needing Help ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: don't own Inuyasha.

(A/N: my computers crashed completely! AHHHH! So now I have to use my sisters computer which is connected in the network to mine... which is slightly strange and really unfamiliar... I don't like uploading on different computers because my Sis always finds out and gives me stick. Never mind - here's the newest chapter - sorry about the wait!)







The Price of Freedom

Needing Help











A whole two days later, and finally Kagome had the courage to go back to the house. Sango came along with her for support... and to act as a human shield if need be... but fortunately, the military people had all gone by then. They walked up the drive in silence and slowly assessed the damage.

"Oh god... mom is going to kill me..." Kagome muttered as they stepped through the completely demolished front door and looked around. Nothing in the house itself appeared to be broken - it was all just out of place or knocked over. The kitchen was in a much worse state, because not only was the window broken, but little bullet holes lined the walls and there was blood on the floor where she'd fallen with Inuyasha. Only then did she realise he must have been injured by the little shards of glass... and great... now she felt guilty.

"Kagome!" Sango called from the living room and Kagome entered and winced.

"Oh yeah..." the French doors were completely shattered, and now everything in the room was damp. "Mom is going to torture me first I think... then throw me off a cliff into the ocean so no one will ever find me..."

"It's not that bad..." Sango shifted uncomfortably.

"Not bad?!" Kagome whirled on her. "There is an original print painting in the kitchen which now has three bullets through the canvas - each one taking six thousand yen of its worth!"

"What're you yelling at me for?! I didn't do this?!" Sango snapped back quickly. "Why would I tell a bunch of army guys that there were terrorists here?!"

Kagome quieted at once. That was the story she'd told to everyone who asked about the incident in the house. It was simply a misunderstanding that the special forces had thought that there were drug dealers in her house... a total, fairly obvious lie that should have been too strange to believe - but then again, being attacked in the dead of night by swat men was a bit odd as well.

"How am I gonna sort this out?" Kagome sighed as she kicked at the broken glass on the carpet.

"Well..." Sango thought slowly. "I know a couple of guys who can help you. There's Hisato... he's a handy man in the floor above us - great guy - he'd do it for free! And the windows... um... Hitaso might know some people who can help."

"Great..." Kagome said wearily and headed back into the kitchen to salvage any food that was left. She crouched before the fridge and rolled her eyes when she saw everything tasty had been taken. Obviously shooting bullets at girls was hard work... of course those poor men had needed a snack.

She straightened, and she checked the flowers that were arranged beside the window. They were the owners pride and joy and very expensive and fortunately... it didn't look too badly damaged. Kagome sighed with relief... she would certainly be on the death penalty if a single leaf had been damaged.

Almost out of reflex she leaned over and checked the one of the large leaves to make sure there were no holes in it. She turned it over and froze quickly.

Sango chose that moment to enter. "I checked the bedrooms - one of the beds is broken in half and the carpets a bit muddy but... you ok...?"

Kagome stared down at the little black plastic and metal thing that had been stuck to the underside of the leaf. She didn't have to be some whiz secret agent to know what it was. Kagome turned back to Sango at once. "I think we should probably look around some more... make sure everything's ok."

And so they did. And in every single room besides the cupboards, closets and bathrooms, there was a bug - the listening kind.

At least she was sure now that Inuyasha hadn't been making up all that crap about government agencies.





^_^





"He y you!"

Inuyasha's cheek ticked slightly with annoyance. He turned slowly and glared down at the little man who ran up to him. "Aren't you the guy on posters?"

That annoyance quickly transformed into worry. He smirked and waved a hand like he'd heard it all before. "I've had this twice this morning already - I mean, I look nothing like that guy!" he gestured to the wall of the building beside him on the street where the wanted posters had all been tacked up. "Talk about that weird hair - they're looking for a fifty year old man - not me."

The little man scowled at him suspiciously. Inuyasha glanced at the posters beside him briefly. No wonder everyone was so eager to catch him. The reward was for more money than he'd ever seen or could even imagine.

"You sure?"

"Do I look like an old man to you?" Inuyasha said curtly, with a hint of menace in his tone. Which, at that, the man scuttled off.

Inuyasha sighed and carried on down the street, keeping his head down with his cap slanted down to hide his eyes and ears - most of his hair had been tucked up into it as well.

He rounded and corner and went stock still, eyes wide. Before him were a group of police officers talking to Kouga and... who he thought was Kagome. What was she doing with them? Suddenly Kouga seemed to recognise his presence and turned sharply to face him. The young woman followed his sudden gaze and narrowed her eyes when she saw him. The police officers recognised him at once.

"Get him!"

Inuyasha quickly jolted into a run, back the way he came and plunged straight into the crowds. That would give him time and with the cap on - they wouldn't be able to follow him so easily-

But at that little thought, a toddler, being carried on his parents shoulders, stuck out his hand and clipped the cap from Inuyasha's head, making his hair fall out. Inuyasha almost did a double take to get the hat back, but when he saw the officers charging towards him he quickly changed his mind.

"Inu! You can't run forever!" he heard someone shout out.

At that he ducked down in the crowds and ducked into an alleyway and behind a bunch of dumpsters. He waited until the officers had passed completely before grabbing the drainpipe at the side of the alley and began to climb his way to the roof. Unfortunately, not all the officers had passed the alley yet - and as a few ran by they spotted his ascent.

"He's on the roof!"

He cussed lightly as he slipped over the railing of the roof and ran towards the gap between this roof and the next, he cleared it in one jump and then hopped down onto a lower roof, out of sight of anyone who was able to follow him... like... Kouga for instance.

On the lower roof he crept towards the edge and looked down. Below him was the square in front of the supermarket and in the direct middle stood Kagome... though he couldn't quite place what was different about her. But he had to talk to her.

He dropped down and landed with a thud that jarred his knee... he hadn't tried that in a while, that was for sure. Then he made his way as un- suspiciously towards Kagome as he could manage. "What are you doing with them?" he asked as he stood behind her.

She whipped around him and her eyes widened with recognition at once. "It's my job."

"You what?"

"Granted, being with a bunch of chauvinistic men wasn't my idea, it was my superiors idea." She folded her arms calmly, if not smugly. "So... turning yourself in?"

"You betrayed me." He growled. Then suddenly he realised the difference. This wasn't Kagome. This woman smelt of synthetic perfumes... Honeysuckle... while Kagome had a much milder and floral scent to her. He didn't base much on appearances anymore. "Wait..."

"You really are as thick as they said, aren't you." She sneered. "Ookami may be too incompetent to capture you - but I assure you I am much different."

She pulled something from her pocket and began to raise it towards him.

"What the fuck...?" Inuyasha muttered, but he wasn't looking at Kikyo... he was looking at something behind her. "Oh my god..."

Kikyo turned sharply to see what he was looking at but found herself staring at the store alone. When she turned back, opening her mouth to say something, he was gone.





^_^





A whole week since the house had been stormed... and Inuyasha hadn't had the decency to contact her - let alone send a note. Kagome scrubbed the carpets in the bedroom with a furious expression.

But then again... something much worse could have happened...?

Kagome's hands came to a stop as she mulled over much more gruesome thoughts about what might be the real reason why he hadn't contacted her. But then the doorbell rang.

"Inuyasha?" she leapt up, her heart practically soaring as she raced through the hall to answer the newly mended door. "Inu..."

"Sorry to disappoint." Kouga told her neutrally from the porch.

"Oh hi, K-"

"Shh!" he held a finger to his lips and beckoned her forward out of the house. She followed obediently and closed the door behind her. "We can't talk in there, it's bugged." He told her.

"I know."

"I need to speak with you." He looked serious. "It's urgent."

"Oh ok... should we... take a walk then?" she raised her eyebrows and he nodded.

The walk took them into the woods behind the house before Kouga actually spoke again. "Inuyasha will most likely contact you soon... and put your life in danger again."

"Uh huh..." She was busy trying to avoid getting the smelly sap on her shirt from the trees.

"And I've decided that to keep your life safe... then I must try and keep Inuyasha's safe too." He drew to a stop beside a large gnarled tree.

"Are you serious?" Kagome frowned suspiciously. "I thought you hated him... and you're one of them as well?"

"Against my will, I assure you." He said quietly, stepping a little closer. "I have some information that will help Inuyasha..."

"What sort of information?" she was still suspicious.

"The sort that could secure the freedom of all genetically engineered test subjects including myself." He cocked his head. "Do you want to hear me out?"

Duh! She nodded quickly and he leaned forward to whisper it in her ear.





^_^





He'd smelt Kouga the second he had stepped onto the road towards Kagome's home. So he had been very careful to keep downwind all the way, following the wimpy wolf's trail all the way to the house, where it joined Kagome's before disappearing into the woods.

Instantly his jealousy was sparked. What else did two people head off into the woods other than to get... better acquainted? (Probably didn't occur to Inuyasha that you could still get better acquainted in the house too...) He followed the trail through the woods until he saw two figures in a clearing up ahead.

Still keeping downwind he peeked around a tree and peered through the bushes, his eyes narrowing when he saw what looked like Kouga and Kagome engaged in deep conversation. Though it was probably just Kouga whispering sweet nothings in Kagome's ear. And just when he was about to storm over there, able to take it no more, they both pulled back and Kagome gave Kouga a great big bear of a hug before they both parted. Inuyasha watched with scrutiny as Kouga headed away from the house and Kagome headed towards it.

For a moment Inuyasha was torn between which one to follow? Kick the crap out of Kouga or go demand an explanation from Kagome. Well... he liked Kagome better so he followed her instead.

By the time he got there she was already inside and he had to knock on the door.

She opened it. "Kou..."

"Sorry to disappoint." He ground out.

She swallowed hard before slamming the door in his face. A little stunned was an understatement, because Inuyasha was damn right shocked at what she'd just had the nerve to do. But he was quickly over that. "Kagome! OPEN THIS DOOR RIGHT NOW!"

He could hear her moving about inside but he couldn't tell what she was doing.

"OR ELSE I'LL KNOCK IT DOWN AGAIN!!" he yelled.

The door flew open and she held up a jotter pad saying 'SHHH! FOLLOW ME!'. He flicked an uncertain look to her while she made zipping motions at the mouth.

Had she someone else in there?

Before he could ask she clamped a hand over his wrist and dragged him through the hall into the boiler room, discarding the writing pad as she did so. When they were in there she shut the door firmly and sat down on the wooden ledge opposite the boiler.

It was very cramped and fairly dark in the cupboard and Inuyasha was half squashed between Kagome's knees and the big boiler.

"What are-"

"Sit down." She patted the bench next to her. "And keep your voice down, the whole house is bugged."

"Well all you need is some of that stinky spray that you always use on the ants-"

"Not that kind of bugged - I mean the listening type." She hissed. "This is the only place I'm sure they didn't bother to place a listening device.

Inuyasha sat down slowly and tried to make himself comfortable. It didn't help that he was half sitting on Kagome's lap. "Why such a small-"

"Ouch! Watch where you put that foot!" she snapped and shifted so he could sit properly and she could put her legs across his lap. He didn't seem bothered by the action much, but she was blushing to the core.

Before she could say anything about the problem at hand, Inuyasha broke out. "What were you doing with Kouga?" he asked evenly in a low tone.

"You saw, huh?"

"Everything." He drawled.

"Then you heard it all too?"

"Um... no..."

"Then stop jumping to conclusions." She said simply. "Kouga came to tell me something important - about you."

"About me?" Inuyasha sounded suspicious, like she'd felt before.

"Yeah... he said that he wanted to make sure I was safe (insert Inuyasha snort here) and that the only way to do that was to make sure that you..." She trailed off as one of his hands nonchalantly slid to rest on her thigh, sending an electric thrill through her again. She struggled to keep going. "That... er... you stayed free and such..."

"How?" he sounded curious, very likely oblivious to what his simple resting hand on her leg was doing to her.

"He didn't tell me much... and I think you're going to have to fill in some of the blanks for me..." her toe gave a nervous twitch.

He suddenly gripped her thigh a little more firmly, his expression serious. "What was it?"

Kagome quickly shifted so that she was sitting properly and his hand fell from her leg. "He said... that the only way to ensure your freedom lay with you mother...?" she sounded sceptical.

"Which one?"

"The real one, he said."

That seemed to strike a nerve, and he looked like he was ready to have a temper tantrum... but slowly his angry expression softened and Kagome frowned when he sighed. "Then I'll never be free will I?"





(A/N: Next chapter - 'Infiltration'.)