InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Princess Bride ❯ The Doubt of True Love ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(I UPDATED IT! PLEASE REVIEW!)

Chapter Four:

*

Weeks passed and Inuyasha and Kagome grew closer. They kept their love a secret from her mother and Sota. They were inseparable. Wherever Kagome went, she had a handsome silver haired hanyou following, watching out for her. Whenever he went to work in the fields, Kagome was there, talking to him and offering him water when he needed it. They were truly happy. But, as always, happiness cannot always last forever.

*

"Kagome, please. Don't make this any harder for me than it already is," Inuyasha whispered into her hair, holding her gently, his heart throbbing at all the emotions he was experiencing.

"You can't go! I won't let you! I love you, Inuyasha!" She cried and her lips that were salty with her sorrow claimed his in a bruising and unforgiving kiss. The hanyou returned her affections, moaning when she teased his abs and spine with her light touch. He drew back and kissed a tender path down her soft and delicate neck, never wanting to leave this beautiful young woman who had captured his heart.

Kagome closed her eyes and leaned her head back, her hands tangling in his silky silver hair. She felt him distance himself slightly but he pulled her against his sultry chest. "I love you too, Kagome. I'll come back. There's nothing that will keep me from you."

"How do I know that? What if something horrible happens? What will I do?" She whispered and inhaled his comforting aroma as best she could. He pulled her back and cupped her cheek with his large hand that ended in tapered but slender claws. "How can I trust that you'll come back?" She added, a gust of wind brushing by the two of them sending raven and silver locks cascading around the two lovers.

Inuyasha took her other hand and put it on his chest. Kagome felt the soft but strong tattoo beneath her small hand and exhaled, feeling somewhat relaxed. He then hooked a finger under her chin and forced her to meet his amber eyes that were warm and confident, if not very sad. "Do you feel that?"

"Yes, it's your heartbeat," She replied not understanding what he meant.

"No. That's not what I mean," He smiled lightly in embarrassment, a little irritated because he was unused to saying things like this. "Do you feel how you make my heart go faster? It's because I love you. Always trust that. Never doubt it. It is true and true love can't ever be broken."

Kagome was frozen. Did he really just say that? She felt the warm and passionate blush crawl up her cheeks and a miniscule smile curled at her own lips. She nodded and felt his lips brush against her forehead before he embraced her again. "I'll never doubt it…" She whispered, barely inaudible.

*

Was he really gone? It felt like he had just left when he had been away for three months now. Inuyasha, being one of the village's strongest young men (the strongest in fact because he was half youkai), was drafted along with all the others to join a mission to settle land in the newly discovered America's. Kagome missed him with all of her heart.

"When I learn to read and I write I'll send you a message. Don't forget about me or I'll be so pissed when I get back that you'll HAVE to come back to me!"

The young woman who was hopelessly in love smiled at the memory, one lone tear sliding down her cheek. When he came back, she would be more beautiful for him. She was after all still very young. He would probably come back being stronger, more handsome, and more of a man…

"Kagome!" Kagome gasped and her face turned an unruly red as her mother's calm voice broke her through her reverie. "There is someone here. Will you answer the door please?"

"Yes, mother," She replied and hopped down, running past her mother in the kitchen, her eyes dancing. Lady Higurashi smiled at her daughter. Ah, the joys of first love. She might have pretended she did not know of her daughter's relationship with the farm boy but she did not disapprove. He was a fine young man who had softened greatly ever since he had let their family care for him. When he returns I know there will be wedding preparations to make sure of… She thought, smiling.

Kagome came to a skidding halt in front of the door and smoothed her appearance, waiting for the blush on her cheeks to disappear. Then, she opened the door to see a messenger of some sort. She bowed when he bowed to her and invited him in.

"I can only stay but a moment. This is the home of Higurashi, is it not?" He asked, his dark eyes focusing on Kagome.

"Yes, yes it is." She replied.

"And you are the keepers of a slave named Inuyasha?" He continued. Kagome nodded. "This is for you," He finished and then withdrew a scroll from his pocket. "Goodnight, my lady," he bowed and she bowed again as she led him out the door. When he was gone, Kagome let out a cry of joy causing her mother to look in the room.

"What is it, dear?" Lady Higurashi asked, coming closer to see what it was her daughter was gripping in her hand.

"It's from Inuyasha! He's written me a letter! He said he would and-" She froze, the blush returning to her cheeks as she met her mother's eyes. She cleared her throat and put a scowl in place. "Oh, I mean, who cares. It's from dumb old Inuyasha. It probably only has chicken scratching. You can have it mother," She ended her sentence with her angry mask still in place when on the inside she was erupting with joy.

"Oh really. Thank you dear, at least I am worrying for Inuyasha's safety," Lady Higurashi smiled and snatched the scroll from her daughter's hand, hoping to embarrass her and bring out the truth about their love. She unrolled the scroll, eyeing its contents with a smile at first, but then it melted into pure shock. Kagome noticed this and her expression became worried.

"M-mother? What is it?" She whispered, drawing nearer to her okaasan.

"I-It's Inuyasha…" She replied shakily, dropping the scroll and throwing her arms around Kagome. "He's dead…"

Kagome froze, unable to move, breath or form any coherent thought. Dead… "No…" she whispered, her voice husky with emotion. "He said… NO! HE'S NOT DEAD! HE SAID HE'D COME BACK FOR ME! HE TOLD ME NEVER TO DOUBT! NOOOO!" She broke into sobs and collapsed but luckily her mother was there to catch her.

Lady Higurashi tried to hold and comfort her daughter but the smaller and more delicate body in her arms was shaking so violently she nearly lost her balance. "I know Koiishi… I know…" She started to weep herself. "I'm so sorry honey…"

Sota made an appearance in the room to see his mother crying on Kagome's shoulder and to see Kagome right out bawling. "What happened?"

"He's GONE! GONE! HE'S LEFT ME!" Kagome shouted, tears flying in all directions. "I'LL NEVER LOVE AGAIN!"

"Who's gone-" Then it hit him and he started to cry. "I-Inuyasha's dead?" When his mother nodded, he joined in and the family of three embraced each other, comforting one another as best they could for it seemed they had all been affected by Inuyasha's death.

**

Kagome sat in the room of the palace of the prince she had just been betrothed to, emotionless and unfeeling. For the last year she felt no pain, no anger, only self-consuming sadness. This had only done to perfect her appearance, giving her the mature and melancholic look. She sighed and drummed her fingers against the desk she was sitting at, admiring the sunset's beauty. Inuyasha… she thought and then sighed, her lids closing over her sad and fatigued eyes. She had not slept in days.

A week prior, she had been recruited to the castle by the prince of the lands. Koga. He had chosen her as his bride to pass on the family name. She, of course, did not agree, but his guards had threatened to arrest her family if she did not come, so of course she agreed to come. Inuyasha was dead after all, all but his memory.

Kagome had to admit that Prince Koga was a fine looking man and he was very caring, but he was very dominant and was quick to change his mind and loose his temper. He was also very cocky. She sighed to spite herself. This is going to be hell… I suppose I can afford to sleep right now. When I wake up, I'm going for a ride to get away from this place for a short time, she thought and fell asleep on her desk, her hair spread out all around her. Inuyasha… I still love you…