InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul Within ❯ To Care ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Something to Think About (courtesy of Pure-tainted2006): Those who are `weak' don't fight for pride, pleasure, or greed. They fight to protect, love and triumph.
 
**********
 
The Soul Within
Chapter Twenty-Two
 
It was difficult.
 
To unleash enough power to help…but to hold back enough to prevent harm. Even if Inuyasha was currently human, Kagome had to be careful with her spiritual energy. The poison was now so widespread into his system that if she tried to purify Naraku's damage all at once, she could ultimately end up killing Inuyasha.
 
Even worse, Kagome could sense Miroku was beginning to reach his limit. Her thought were confirmed when his hands went limp and the energy from them disappeared.
 
“I apologize Kagome, but I'm afraid that I need a short rest in order to continue.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I may not be as advanced in healing as you and Kaede, but aura sensing was one of the first things that I was taught. You need more than a little rest, Miroku. You need to sleep to prevent any lasting harm to your system.”
 
Miroku smirked. “If our positions were switched, and I said that to you, would you listen?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then trust me. I will be fine after a short rest.”
 
Sango bit her lip worriedly. “You look as bad as Kagome did an hour ago, Miroku. Are you certain?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Kagome shook her head firmly. “Absolutely not. I will not let you throw your life away, Miroku. You have too much to live for!”
 
Miroku narrowed his eyes. “Kagome do you not understand - ”
 
Kagome cut him off. “Sango!” she exclaimed. “I will not let you die and leave Sango alone!”
 
Shocked, Miroku turned to face said woman to see that she was looking away, sadness on her features. Without a word, she stood up and walked away.
 
Miroku sat there, stunned.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes without straying from her task. “What are you waiting for? Go after her.” When Miroku didn't move, she said in a stronger voice, “Now!”
 
Still looking confused, Miroku hurried after the slayer.
 
Kagome sighed. “He's an idiot sometimes,” she said softly. “How can he not realize how much she loves him? She's silently screaming for him to love her, acknowledge her, and ask her to stay by her side. But he's so stuck on his own problems that he can't even see that she's suffering too.”
 
Kagome didn't seem to realize that she was no longer talking about Miroku.
 
But as she looked at Inuyasha's sleeping face, she felt her anger melt away. He was sweating and his cheeks were flushed…his body was trying to fight the poison in the only way it knew how to. Kagome swallowed forcefully and brushed his black bangs off his forehead.
 
“I don't care if things go back to the way they were. I don't care if you hate me. I don't care if I can never be with you. I don't care. As long as I know that you're alive…then that's enough for me.”
 
“Either way, I'm not going back where I came from,” Kagome continued.
 
“Why am I not surprised, child?” asked Kaede's voice from behind her.
 
Kagome didn't look at her mentor. She just kept her head bowed.
 
“Even though I already know the answer, I want to hear it from ye.”
 
Kagome nodded, still sending Inuyasha tiny jolts of purification. “I don't belong there anymore, Kaede. I've become a different person, I've learned and experienced new things, and I just can't go back. No matter where my next path starts, I need to move forward.” The young miko finally turned around and faced Kaede. “I won't hide in the past any longer.”
 
Kaede smiled. “I never expected ye to, Kagome. That was one of the reasons I sent ye away. Ye are capable of so much and I am so proud of everything that ye have accomplished.”
 
Kagome smiled softly in gratitude.
 
“I'll always be glad that ye were my student.”
 
Kagome's eyes filled with unshed tears. Kaede knelt by her side and pulled the young woman into her arms.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome whispered.
 
**********
 
“Sango, what's the matter?” Miroku asked when he finally caught up to her by the river.
 
“Absolutely nothing,” Sango said softly, looking at the clear water flowing gently through the ravine.
 
“Look at me and say that,” Miroku told her.
 
Sango exhaled. “I'm telling the truth, Miroku.”
 
“Then you shouldn't have a problem with looking at me.”
 
Sango crossed her arms with uncharacteristic childlike behavior. “Make me,” she said stubbornly.
 
Miroku sighed and placed himself between her and the stream, being careful not to fall in. He placed two fingers under her chin and lifted it tenderly.
 
Her eyes were closed.
 
“Why?” Miroku asked sadly.
 
Sango shook her head slightly. “…I can't lose you,” she said in a very small voice. “If I don't look at you, then you won't leave-”
 
Miroku didn't let her finish. He closed the gap between them and kissed her gently. Surprised, she stiffened for a moment before melting into him. What started as chaste slowly became more passionate and when they finally pulled away, both were breathing hard.
 
“I love you, Sango,” Miroku told her seriously. “I will never leave you. Please don't ever forget that.”
 
Sango's eyes shone brightly and she dove into Miroku's arms, hugging him tightly. “I love you too,” was all she said.
 
Miroku felt a huge smile residing on his face and it was all he could do to tame it when he pulled away and looked into Sango's eyes. “Then trust me, Sango. Trust me to know my own limits.”
 
Sango nodded. “I do, but…I think that this is something that Kagome needs to do alone. She and Inuyasha have a special bond and I know that she can save him. Sunrise is less than an hour away. Believe in her, Miroku.”
 
Miroku didn't say anything for a long time. At long last, he nodded. Sango smiled and embraced him loosely.
 
“Sango?”
 
“Yes?”
 
Miroku pulled away from her and got down on one knee. He took both of her hands into his and looked up at the woman he loved. Her eyes were wide. “Sango…when the curse is broken and the purest act is realized…will you marry me and bear my children?”
 
Tears streamed down Sango's cheeks as she fell to the ground in front of him and kissed him with all of the passion that she could muster. “Yes!” she said happily.
 
This time, Miroku didn't bother to hide his bright smile. He held his woman tightly in his arms.
 
One-hundredth time is the charm.
 
**********
 
Kagome looked out onto the horizon and began to see the first peek of the sun. She sighed in relief. Compared to Kagome's long night, it seemed that the shining globe was up in a matter of seconds.
 
While she was looking in the direction of the sun, she felt the soft breeze blow Inuyasha's hair onto her hand. Kagome raised her hand slightly and gasped.
 
Black hair.
 
He was still human.
 
Why wasn't he youkai?
 
A pained groan erased her panicked thoughts. Inuyasha's eyes fluttered once, twice, three times before opening and focusing on her.
 
Kagome didn't dare speak. She held her breath, as if he would drift back into unconsciousness if she even looked at him wrong.
 
A small grin found its way upon the hanyou's pink lips. “K'gome…”
 
Kagome didn't know whether to smile or cry, so she did both. Small trails of tears fell from her chocolate eyes while she smiled at the human on the ground in front of her. “Inuyasha,” she whispered. “Are you…are you okay?”
 
Before the words had even left her mouth, Inuyasha winced and let out a small groan of pain. “Forgive me,” he said quietly.
 
Forgive him? For what? What was he talking about?
 
“You're forgiven,” Kagome answered immediately.
 
“Don't cry, Kagome…”
 
“I won't.” She hurriedly wiped her tears away.
 
“You're so beautiful…” his gaze was locked on her. His eyes holding pure strength, even though his body still wasn't moving.
 
Okay, now he was scaring her. The Inuyasha she knew and loved wouldn't talk about her physical appearance ever…much less on the brink of death. Panicked, she tried to bring back her Inuyasha.
 
“No, no, no!” she cried, clutching his hand in worry. “It's me! Kagome! I'm not beautiful, you hate me, you want me to go home-”
 
Three human fingers pressed against her lips, cutting her off. Looking directly at the young miko, Inuyasha said, “I lied.” A slow smile spread across his lips as he fell back into unconsciousness.
 
“The end,” said a careless voice.
 
Without letting go of Inuyasha's hand, Kagome whirled around and faced the woman that had spoken. “It is not the end, Kikyo! I won't let you-”
 
Kikyo shook her head. “I don't have to do anything. The curse has nearly been completed anyway. Inuyasha just sped up the process by a few weeks. Be happy that he is facing a peaceful death, Kagome.”
 
Kagome glared at the woman before her. “Peaceful? You have the nerve to say that?”
 
Kikyo looked tired. “The winds of destiny have pointed to this moment for fifty years.”
 
“No,” Kagome said coldly.
 
Kikyo raised an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”
 
“I said, `No,'” Kagome repeated. “Winds are constantly changing and there is no way to predict which way they will flow next. However, I know for a fact that Inuyasha is not going to die. It is not his time.”
 
Kikyo sighed. “Stubborn, aren't you?”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes. “Better believe it.”
 
“There is nothing that you can do about it Kagome. The curse cannot be removed without the purest act. Even if you managed to save him, he will die in a few weeks.”
 
“What is the purest act!” Kagome exclaimed in annoyance.
 
Kikyo didn't answer and Kagome didn't expect her too.
 
Suddenly, Kagome was struck with the truth. “You are the miko…the miko that Kaede was telling me about! You can bless people, curse people…and change reality.” Kagome's eyes lit up before focusing on the other woman. “Kikyo, listen to me very carefully. I want you to cure Inuyasha of the poison, and remove the curse that lays upon him.”
 
“The curse cannot be removed without the purest act.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I wasn't finished.”
 
Kikyo was silent.
 
“I know that the curse can't be removed…however, you didn't say that it can't be transferred.” Kagome held her trademark fire in her eyes. “Give Inuyasha his life…in exchange for mine.”