InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Sword Tsukikage ❯ Letter ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
This is just an alternate universe I created out of boredom one day.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own Inuyasha, Rumiko Takahashi does. I just wanted to create a story. Maybe I can captivate attention this way as this is the only outlet for my imagination any longer...


It was a beautiful day in Japan. The sun was shining through the forested trees of the western lands upon the silvery white mane of hair that belong to a man named Sesshoumaru. He was reading a message that had been brought to him by the courier demon of the Central lands. Soon it would be his birthday and as birthright, he gets to try for a very powerful sword, the Tsukikage. The test is simple, but comes with an attachment. The reigning lord's sister, who has not been seen for centuries. He nods to the courier and sends his reply.
“I will come see this sword and the sister, if I deem it worthy to try, I will do so.” the courier nods and instructs him when to come. He also tells of the other demons, who will be trying for the sword this year. Kouga of the wolves, Joeru of the Tanuki, and Buruusu of the Pheonix. They were to show at lord Takai's palace on the first day of spring.

As Sesshoumaru walked home, he wondered why the courier told him of the other 3 demons. But that is not where I shall be introducing you next. No here we travel to the place where the Tsukikage is housed, the central lands.

Lord Takai of the central lands paced the temple where the sacred sword Tsukikage rested on a pedestal. Nearby the faded image of a pretty Inu demoness, the sister of Lord Takai, paced as well.

“Sister, the time is nigh for the Lords of the lands to come and try for the sword once again.”

The demoness sighed, then spoke, “Takai... I don't want to watch the trials any longer. Just let them draw the sword if they wish... that is the real test to see if they are worthy. The only test. I've waited far too long.” she waved a spectral hand at Takai. At that very moment the courier rushed into the temple.

“Lord Takai!” the cheetah demon panted. “he agreed!” both Takai and his sister looked. Takai seemed to dance with joy, while his sister crossed her arms and hmphed.

“Just another pathetic Taiyoukai to try and draw the sword.” Takai looked at his sister.

“It's not just any Taiyoukai. It's the Taiyoukai of the west.” this caused the female to raise an eyebrow.

“Another of the west. I suppose this one will be like the other who tried to claim me before he ruled the lands?”

Takai blinked. He was confused. Wait yes... There was another. Inu no Taisho, but he had taken a mate not long afterward.

“Stupid drunkard he was then.” (I mean no disrespect to Inu no Taisho. He's actually cute ^.^!) his sisters voice brought him from remembering the young Inu no Taisho. She then caught a thoughtful look as she mumbled something about his son Sesshoumaru's 16th birthday ball. She remembered that day clearly.

She spent most of the day following the arrogant prince around under the guise of a potential suitor, only because he was carting her prison around like he had business to do so. She had held a solid form for the first time in thousands of years for this very occasion. She had hated the daylight hours, but that all changed after nightfall when he couldn't see her, for she had shed her solid form and her ghostly form to enter her prison again. He removed her prison from his side and lay it on the table against the wall. A servant came to bid him goodnight and left the room. Once the young inu youkai thought he was alone, he fell to the floor and began to sob. It was then she decided to talk to him for the very first time. From inside her prison of course.

“What troubles you so young prince?”

Sesshoumaru spun and looked about the room, spotting no one he dared ask, “Who is there?!”

“Worry not about my name young prince. I cannot tell anyone what I see or hear here anyway.”

“I still want a name!” he cried indignantly.

“I am but the spirit guardian of the Tsukikage.” she watched as Sesshoumaru stared at her prison. “oh do not stare so. You will find no answer that way.” She then felt his hand close about her prisons' hilt.
It was then she was jarred from her memory.

“No,” she whispered. Takai looked at her. “Not the very same arrogant prince that carted me around like he was the one to pull me from my sheath... all those centuries ago...”

“Sister, do calm yourself.”

The Inu demoness humphed loudly and faded from view.

Takai blinked and decided to leave her alone for now. He would awaken her when it was time to choose if any were worthy. That's if she wasn't up already.