InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ Dinner ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N Third chapter…amazing, really. I promise less culture shock in this one, really, truly.

Bekka walked around the table to her place opposite Sesshoumaru and kneeled at the low table. She smiled a little and bowed to him. He invited her to start eating and after her first bite, asked "How is it that you attracted the attention of this Q?"

Why the question surprised her, she could not have said, but was spared answering it by the lazy drawl behind her that brought a growl to her throat. "Did someone mention my name?" She turned around and glared at the being behind her. Q was dressed in the manner of a great ruler, seated on a low throne. "Ah, yes, Absinthe (A/N with a name like that, wouldn't you go by something different, too?), how nice to see you, my dear." Bekka's growl became louder and she gave the appearance of trying to raise her hackles. "Little Absinthe, why don't you introduce us, like a good little girl."

"My name is Bekka!" she spit at him. Then realizing how her loss of temper may look, she took a deep breath and was about to perform the requested introductions when his voice broke in again.

"Is that what you told him?" Q laughed. He turned and addressed Sesshoumaru, "I'm sorry, it seems this one has misled you in the most basic of information. She was given the name Absinthe. Tut, tut, tut, my girl, don't you know by now what your own name is?"

"Only three people have ever called me Absinthe. You and my parents. I have gone by Bekka all my life. Bekka is the name I choose to be called."

"Such a pity. Get on with the introductions, girl."

Biting back another growl, Bekka took a deep breath and began, "My Lord Sesshoumaru, Ruler of the Western Lands, benefactor to this unworthy one, I beg the honor of introducing he who is known to me only as Q." She kept her eyes on the ground in front of her and almost succeeded in keeping the bitter sarcasm out of her voice.

"So you have learned some manners after all, if not any humility or grace." Q now addressed Sesshoumaru directly, "Lord Sesshoumaru, it seems I miscalculated when I left little Absinthe in the forest. She should not have landed so near one as great as you. But since that is the case, I think a little challenge for the both of you is in order. You see, little Absinthe here has learned much on her little travels, but there is one lesson that she has yet to learn. This you can teach her. You, sir, also have a lesson to learn and she can teach you. She will not be a complete burden to you while she is here. She has many skills and talents that you can make use of, don't you, my dear?" his tone turned knowing at this last sentence and Bekka fought the growls and insults fighting to escape her throat.

"Sir, you have invaded my home and insulted my guest and challenged me. Do you have a death wish?" Sesshoumaru could feel the anger radiating from Bekka and could feel Rin reacting to it. He rose and his hand went to the sword on his hip.

"Lord Sesshoumaru, I'm sure you realize from what Absinthe has told you that I cannot be harmed in that fashion. You were asking why I bother with her. Three reasons, really: One, she made a wish to travel far and wide; two, she does relieve the monotony of the continuum; and three, she is strong enough and adaptable enough to withstand the time shifts. I do not care about your games of honor and dignity, those are beneath me. I do, however, care about my entertainment." He addressed Bekka, "You will now play for us, girl." Before she could blink, she found herself on her feet with her violin and bow in hand. She stared blankly at the instrument in her hand. "Don't be an idiot, Absinthe, play. That is, if you can remember how to."

Glaring at him, she drew herself up and set the violin on her shoulder, rested her chin, drew the bow and began playing what those in later times would recognize as Hungarian Dance number 5. As she played, she was drawn into the magic of the music. She forgot, briefly about Q and about being in another new place and time. Now there was just the music. Her body swayed with the intensity of the music. Sesshoumaru was fascinated by the sound and by her reaction to it. Rin was having a difficult time keeping still. After the flurry of notes that was the finale, Rin clapped her hands together and begged for more. Bekka smiled at her, but before she could answer, Q cut in, "She will be here for some time; you can hear her play later."

"Who's to say I will be here for some time? I may decide to journey," Bekka retorted hotly.

"I wouldn't recommend that. You know the price for displeasing me and not playing your part in my game." She had suffered before from refusing to go along with his twisted plans and knew that she would only endure more of the same pain. She again stared at the floor, struggling to maintain control of her temper.

"I have not said that she will be allowed to stay," Sesshoumaru stated. Bekka glanced at him, surprised and grateful and trying to warn him against angering Q. The demon lord did not seem to see this, however, his attention focused on Q.

"If you do not allow her to stay, then `disaster beyond your imagination will be upon your head.'" Bekka rolled her eyes at this quote from one of her favorite musicals being used to one who would have no idea where it came from. Bekka turned to the demon lord and pleaded silently with him to not argue as Q continued, "Would it really be honorable to turn down a challenge given in good faith?" Bekka closed her eyes, knowing now that she was well and truly stuck. Death before dishonor was the samurai way, and she knew just enough about history to know that Sesshoumaru had to be of that class.

"What is your challenge, exactly, then?" Sesshoumaru said in the voice that could have cut steel or frozen water.

"It's simple really. She must learn to trust and you must learn to love." Bekka gaped openly at Q. Learn to trust? Learn to love? Was he absolutely insane?

"That Sesshoumaru has no need for love. It is a weakness of humans. If that one does not trust, how is that this Sesshoumaru's problem?"

"It is your problem because she will suffer great discomfort in your house if you do not accept the challenge." Bekka knew this was another seal on the trap…guests were prized beyond family.

In a voice that made his prior tone seem warm and friendly, Sesshoumaru said, "Your challenge is accepted."

"I'm glad you see it my way." And Q was gone.

Bekka was left standing with her violin, staring at the floor. "My Lord Sesshoumaru, I beg that you forgive me for bringing that creature into your home. I beg your forgiveness for my lack of control over myself. I beg your forgiveness for the disruption my presence has caused." Bekka could feel her eyes welling up and bit her lip to try and keep back the tears and closed her eyes.

She heard movement of the others leaving the room. After a few minutes, she heard Akiko's voice asking her to follow to her room for the night. With a heavy heart, she followed, not taking in the sights along the way.

A/N Bad old Q!!! I take no responsibility for his actions!