InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Behind the Book ❯ Her Decision ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I DO NOT own InuYasha. I never have and I never will.

Note: This is the last chapter for this story. I really appreciate all of you loyal reviews that reviewed this story. I really appreciate it. There were 70 of you! You guys are great! Anyway, hope everyone likes the last chapter.

Another Note: If anyone has ideas (that have not been used so far) for another InuYasha fanfic that I could write please review this story or e- mail me and I'll consider your idea.

ON WITH CHAPTER 9, THE FINAL CAHPTER!!!

The Truth Behind the Book

Chapter 9

Her Decision

The sun shined through the openings of Keade's hut. Kagome slowly awoke to birds chirping and sunlight in her eyes. Kagome lifted her hands to try and block the bright sun so her eyes could focus and so she wouldn't be blinded. When her eyes had finally gotten use to the light she sat up with a slight moan. She looked around the small hut only to find that she was alone. She climbed out of her sleeping bag and crawled over to her big yellow backpack that sat in the corner of the room. She dug through the bag until she found a clean set of clothes. Once she did she quickly changed. She put her pajamas back into her bag and then proceeded to roll up her sleeping bag. As she did she began to think about what had happened the night before.

'Was it all real?' she asked herself, 'It had to have been real. Otherwise, how would I have gotten back to the hut without realizing it?'

She then remembered the kiss. As she did she brought her finger up to her lips as she relived the memory over again. She smiled at the thought as a blush slowly began to grow in her cheeks. She shock her head, so she could bring herself back to the present, and finished rolling up her sleeping bag. Once that was completed she left the hut in search of her comrades. She had only taken two steps outside of the hut before a small brown kitsune jumped into her arms.

"Kagome! InuYasha is chasing me!" Shippou cried.

"Shippou you brat! Why do you always go whining to her!?" InuYasha yelled as he ran up to the two.

Shippou curled himself into Kagome and then looked back at InuYasha to stick his tongue out at him. His made InuYasha even more furious.

"Why you little?!" InuYasha yelled as he was about to hit the fox kit again.

"InuYasha!" Kagome yelled back at him as she protected Shippou, " Don't you even think about it. He's only a kid."

"But he stole the candy that you gave me!" InuYasha whined.

Kagome look down at the fox kit in her arms.

"Shippou that wasn't very nice. Now apologize to InuYasha," Kagome told him.

Shippou looked up at her in disbelief, but then doing as he was told, he apologized to InuYasha.

"I'm sorry InuYasha," Shippou said to the hanyou.

"Well, you better be you little rut and I better not see you take any more of my stuff again got it," InuYasha stated.

Shippou didn't say anything as he jumped out of Kagome's arms and turned to leave. Before he could take one step InuYasha pounded him in the head.

"Ow!" Shippou yelled.

InuYasha smirked, but his smirk was quickly whipped from his face.

"InuYasha," Kagome said slowly, "SIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

InuYasha face flung start to the ground. Shippou stuck his tongue at InuYasha as he turned and ran off. InuYasha growled, but then turned his gaze to the girl that had yelled the command.

"You stupid wench what did you do that for?" InuYasha growled under his breath.

"He apologized. You should at least be happy about that," Kagome stated as she squatted down by where InuYasha was, "I'll bring you more when I come back from my time next time."

The spell wore off and InuYasha sat up.

"I was surprised that you yelled the command," InuYasha stated.

"You after what happened last night?" Kagome asked

InuYasha nodded. Kagome smiled as she leaned over to him and placed a small kiss on his lips.

"Sorry InuYasha," Kagome whispered as she pulled away from him.

InuYasha smiled as he nodded and then stood up. He held out his hand and Kagome placed her hand in his. He helped her up and then they let go of each other's hands.

"Oh, by the way Keade is was waiting over by the river for you. She needs to talk to you about something," InuYasha stated.

"Oh yeah she mentioned something about that last night," Kagome stated.

InuYasha squatted down as Kagome looked at him quizzically.

"You need to get to her right?" InuYasha asked as Kagome nodded her head, " Then the fastest way to get you to her is if I take you."

Kagome nodded as she climbed onto the boy's back. Once InuYasha was sure that she was on, he stood up. He adjusted so she could be comfortable on his back and then he took off. He found her quickly and in no time Kagome stood there talking to Keade. InuYasha left to let the women talked, but he stayed close enough she he could hear their conversation.

"Good morning child. I trust ye slept well," Keade stated.

"Yes, I did," Kagome answered, "Now, what was it that you needed to talk to me about Keade?"

Keade's face turned serious.

"Now that the shards of the scared jewel have been collected and the jewel is once again whole, ye need to decide what to do," Keade answered.

"What do you mean by what to do?" Kagome asked.
"Child we all love and care for ye, however, ye need to decide if ye want to stay here or return to thy own time. Ye will not be able to go back and forth as ye pleases. The well will have to be sealed eventually and ye need to decide where ye wants to stay," Keade answered.

Kagome was shocked. She had completely forgot about that.

"Can I have a little more time?" Kagome asked as she cast her gaze down to the ground like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Aye child, but do not take too long," Keade answered.

Kagome nodded as she walked away. She walked until she reached the old well.

'Do I want to stay or should I return home?' Kagome asked herself as she stared at the well that had brought her to this era.

The old well had definitely changed her life. Although not all the changes were good, like getting very far behind in school, battling demons, coming close to dying quite a few times, and shattering a powerful jewel that was hidden inside of her body. However, there were many good things as well. She had met InuYasha, although he had also put her through a lot of pain she still ended up falling for the proud and stubborn hanyou. She had also met some really great friends like Sango, Shippou, Miroku, Kiara, Keade, and even Kouga, although he could get on her nerves as well. She had also matured quite a bit since she fell into this time. The problem was did she want to leave the place she had called home for fifteen years to live here and be with her new friends and the person she loved. Or was she willing to give up all of her new friends and memories forever to go back and live as a normal girl in her time. Kagome eyes began to tear up. She wanted both, but she could only have one. She wanted to be with her family, but at the same time she wanted to live with InuYasha and all of her friends here in this era. Which one was she suppose to chose? Either way she would be giving up something extremely important to her. Kagome fell to her knees as she placed her hands over her face. She could no longer keep her tears from falling. She began to sob. This was the biggest and most important decision of her life. After she sat there for what seemed like hours she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders. Her head snapped up and she turned her head only to being looking into a pain of golden eyes.

"In.InuYasha?" Kagome asked.

InuYasha pulled the sobbing girl into his arms. He wrapped his arms around her back and held her close to his chest.

"I heard the whole thing," he said silently.

Kagome tensed up, but InuYasha continued.

"I know this is a very hard decision for you, so I'm going to try and not make it any harder on you then it already is," InuYasha stated into her ear, "The only thing I care about is your happiness. Even if that means you returning to your own time."

InuYasha pulled Kagome away from him slightly so he could look her in the eye. He placed his hand on the side of her face and stared straight into her eyes.

"Just remember that I'll always be here for you and I'll always love you no matter where you are," InuYasha stated as he tried to wipe the tears that were falling from her eyes, but it failed because they were quickly replaced by new ones.

Kagome looked straight at him as she placed her hand over the one that was currently on her face.

"InuYasha," Kagome whispered as the tears continued to fall out of her eyes.

She threw herself into his chest. InuYasha was a little shocked at first, but quickly recovered by closing her into his embrace. They stayed like that until Kagome's sobs died down.

"I'll stay," Kagome whispered into his chest. He would have caught if he didn't have such good hearing.

"Kagome," InuYasha said as he smiled.

Kagome pulled away from him.

"I'll stay here with you, but you have to promise me something," Kagome stated.

"Anything," InuYasha answered back.

Kagome smiled, "No more calling me wench, bitch, or stupid girl ok?"

InuYasha looked at her with a shocked face, but then he smirked.

"Only if you don't deserve it," InuYasha answered as he stood up and turned away from her.

"InuYasha!" Kagome yelled as she ran to tackle him, but he dodged.

Kagome chased him around until finally InuYasha let her catch him. Kagome stood there with her arms around his back.

"Got you," Kagome stated as she continued to try and catch her breath.

InuYasha smiled as he lifted her chin and pulled her into a long, loving kiss. When they finally pulled away Kagome was more out of breath then before. Seeing this, InuYasha squatted down.

"Climb on," he stated.

Kagome nodded as she climbed on. Once she was on he quickly raced back to the village. He found Keade's scent at her hut. The scents of Sango, Kiara, Miroku, and Shippou were also there. Once outside the hut InuYasha stopped and let Kagome climb off his back. By that time Kagome had finally caught her breath. They both walked in the hut.

"Ohayo!" Kagome announced, her eyes were not as puffing and red so she didn't look like she had been crying.

"Ohayo Kagome-sama," Miroku answered as he scooted closer to Sango.

"Ohayo Kagome-ch.." Sango stopped as she turned to slap Miroku who had decided to grab her rear end.

Kagome took a seat next to Sango and then turned to look at Keade.

"Have ye decided child?" Keade asked.

Kagome nodded and then answered, "I will stay here. All I ask is that I'm able to say good-bye to my family."

"Very well child. It is your choice. You have until tonight before you must seal the well off for good," Keade answered.

Kagome nodded and then stood up.

"Then I'll go right now," Kagome answered, "I will be back later."

With that Kagome left the hut. InuYasha followed her. Once they at the well Kagome took hold of InuYasha's hand. InuYasha could tell she was nervous and scared. He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before they both jumped into the well. Once they were in Kagome's time InuYasha picked Kagome up and leaped out of the well. Once they were out of the well house Kagome began to get even more nervous. She clung onto InuYasha's hand as tightly as she could. InuYasha squeezed her hand back as they walked toward the house. When they reached the door Kagome hesitantly opened it.

"I'm home," she yelled out.

Her mom, grandpa, and Souta all came out to greet her home.

"Welcome home Kagome," her mom said as she gave Kagome a big hug. By this time InuYasha had let go of Kagome's hand. Kagome's mom looked over at InuYasha, "Hello InuYasha."

InuYasha nodded kindly and then looked back over to Kagome.

"I have something I need to tell you all, but I think you might want to sit down," Kagome answer as she rushed everyone into the family room.

"Kagome, you're not pregnant are you?" Kagome's grandpa asked.

Kagome blushed instantly, "Of course not!"

"I know this may be hard for you all, but I've decided to stay in the Feudal era. I won't be able to come back anymore. After tonight the well will be sealed," Kagome stated.

The room stayed unusually quiet. Kagome's mom was the first one to say anything. She stood up and walked over to her daughter.

Kagome's mom took Kagome's hand and looked her straight in the eye.

"Kagome it is your decision. You are no longer a little girl. I knew a while ago that this would eventually happen," Kagome's mom stated as she pulled Kagome into a hug, "If that is what will make you happy then do it. Just promise me you'll be careful ok?"

Kagome had begun to cry again, "I will mom. I promise I will."

The two women pulled away from each other.

"I promise I'll protect her," InuYasha stated.

"Thank you InuYasha," Kagome's mom said.

"Kagome!" Souta yelled as he threw himself into his sister's arms.

"Souta," Kagome said as she hugged her brother tightly, "You be good for mom and grandpa ok?"

Souta nodded as he wiped the tears from his eyes. His gaze turned to one of confidence. Kagome smiled as she ruffled his hair. She would definitely miss her brother a lot.

"Be careful Kagome," Kagome's grandpa stated.

Kagome nodded.

"I'm going to grab a couple of things to take back with me and then we'll leave," Kagome said and then left to go up stairs.

InuYasha stayed downstairs knowing that she needed her space right now. He turned back to Kagome's family.

"I love Kagome. I promise on my life that I'll protect at all costs," InuYasha stated.

"We know you will InuYasha," Souta stated with a smile.

InuYasha smiled back. A couple minutes later Kagome came back downstairs with another large backpack. She said her final good-byes to her family and then they left the house. When they reached the well house Kagome turned around to get one last look at the place she had grown up.

"I'm really going to miss it here," Kagome stated sadly.

InuYasha brought her into his embrace.

"Don't worry everything will be all right," he stated.

Kagome nodded, "I know."

With that he bent down and gave her a kiss. Kagome gave into him and kissed him back. When they broke away for air InuYasha smiled as the sun began to set behind him.

"Come on let's go," he stated.

Kagome nodded as they walked into the well house and travel through time for the last time. Once in InuYasha time, Kagome used the jewel to seal the well.

"Good-bye," Kagome stated sadly.

InuYasha hugged her.

"Come on your other family is waiting for you," he stated.

Kagome nodded and together hand in hand they walked back to Keade's village, now Kagome's new home.

:::::::::::: Author's Note: I'm DONE!!! How was that. I realize it had a little fluff, but I had to do it otherwise it would have been way too depressing. That was a long chapter for me. Anyway, I hope everyone liked it. PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!! THANK YOU!

Coolgurl