InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ Anything But Fine ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters in the Inuyasha cast. In this story, Kisa is not the Kisa from Fruits Basket. I'm just using the name. But the story line in this story is all my idea, to anyone who may make or have made any similar stories is by coincidence.
 
Author's Note:
 
Me: YAY! You guys like my story!
Inuyasha: Keh! Of course they do.
Me: Oh? And you would know this…how?
Inuyasha: Because I'm in it, you stupid writer!
Me: Why you little…
Kagome: Oh would the both of you stop it? They like it because of the story line, Inuyasha, my gosh!
Miroku: Ha! I think we all know the reason they're are enjoying it is because of me.
Inuyasha: You?!? You're not even in story unless you're being a pervert!
Miroku: I resent that!
Me: No, Miroku, he's right. You are the pervert in this story. Sorry.
Inuyasha: Ha! See?
Kagome: Inuyasha!
Inuyasha: Huh? *Kagome glares at him* Oh, no, Kagome, no please don't—
Kagome: SIT!!!
*BOOM*
Me: *winces* Ohhh, that had to hurt. OK! Back to the story. *Waves happily to audience*
 
Chapter Fifteen:
 
When Inuyasha and Kagome arrived at the garage, a dark green grand Cherokee came into view.
 
“You think it's the right car?” Kagome's weak voice asked Inuyasha.
 
He shrugged, “Don't know.”
 
“It is.” A hard voice came from behind them.
 
When they realized who it was they became confused, “Kagura what are you doing here?” Inuyasha asked. This wasn't her specialty. Why was she here?
 
“When I heard that they might've found the car I decided to come myself, give it an overview of my own. The car was abandoned off on a dirt road.” She pointed to the tires of the car. “This is either the right car or another murder occurred in it the same night and same place. The tire patterns match the ones left on the pavement of the bridge over the river. Not to mention we found blood in the back seat along with bleach stains.”
 
“What about hairs or fingerprints?” Kagome asked.
 
She nodded her head towards the car and the group of people surrounding it, “We're combing for them right now—“
 
Kagura stopped when she noticed one of the young men walking towards her with a few baggies. “We got `em,” He held up the plastic covered hairs. “along with a few finger prints on the steering wheel.”
 
“Ok,” she turned to the cops, “Right now there really isn't anything you can do. We'll call you as soon as we got the results to the tests.” Kagura's voice told them to go away. So they do just that.
 
Kagome was relieved. Her entire body ached from the stress. She kept wanting to kick herself for being this vulnerable. She wasn't fooling anybody, especially Inuyasha. And she hated how he would try and sneak glances at her when he thought she wasn't looking. It was almost as if he thought she was going to suddenly break down. And now that her father, after eight years, suddenly shows up it felt like she was going to do just that. She had to get away from everybody. She had to be alone. She especially had to get away from Inuyasha…at least for right now.
 
~*~
 
When she got home Kagome let her keys fall onto the dinner table and looked through her cabinets for something to eat. All of a sudden she was starving. She wasn't exactly hungry but eating was probably the only thing she could do right now. When she didn't find anything she turned around to see if there was anything that could possibly occupy her from thinking about her dad or Souta or Inuyasha or the car. But her searching only resulted in her eyes landing on the box of videos in front of Souta's room. Her face turned solemn as she reached for the box and knelt down on her knees.
 
`Kag's Sweet 16', `Summer-Oh-One', `Souta's 10th Birthday', `Food Fight', `The Waking of Kagome', `Mom and the Baby', `Kagome and her Friends', these were all some of the best times of her life on tape. It hurt more than ever that she, most likely, would never be able to have anymore of those. Souta was her life and he was the only one who could really make her feel like a kid again. Now he was gone and her life had fallen into the pits of hell. Sometimes she wondered why she was even bothering with living her life anymore…`Souta and the Glue'…Kagome smiled as she remembered that one.
 
She was 15 and he was 11. They were going through that stage where they didn't want to have anything to do with each other. They had spent the past few weeks playing embarrassing pranks on the other. Well this one—Kagome's ultimate prank—had ended their war when she had glued Souta to the toilet seat one morning. He didn't exactly want to talk to her for a few days after that.
 
Kagome wiped a tear from her face as she looked down at the tape in her hands. His dream was to become a director. Not even a famous one. Just as long as he was behind a camera, creating stories and moments no one would ever forget. She missed him. She missed him so much it physically hurt beyond belief.
 
“Who am I kidding?” She whispered to herself as she put it back in the box. She wasn't strong enough to handle all this at once. Her brother's death and father. Right now it seemed like the world hated her. She just wanted it all to go away. She wanted, more than anything on this earth, to wake up tomorrow and find Souta playing with his camera way to early in the morning for a teenagers health.
 
Kagome looked up from her hands and reached for the doorknob in front of her. She hadn't been in his room since the night they found him. She didn't know how hard it would be for her. She didn't know if she would break down crying or laugh when she found his puppy boxers on the floor.
 
The bed was wrinkled and twisted covers laid on it. His camera sat on his desk with tapes and pictures of him, Kisa, Kagome, Bankotsu, their mother, and the only picture of their father had surrounding it. Papers laid by his books for school and his clothes were spread over the floor. Not a lot, but enough to know that this was, indeed, a 15-year-old boy's bedroom.
 
Kagome gently sat on his bed, sliding her hand over the unmade covers. She was always telling him to clean his room, she remembered. Now she was glad he hadn't. It seemed more like…Souta to her now. Another tear escaped from her eyes. She took his pillow and hugged it, resting her chin on it as she finally accepted that her baby brother was gone and he was not coming back.
 
~*~
 
Inuyasha knocked on her door lightly. He knew he shouldn't be here. Especially since her father had just come out of the blue. Even he knew that would take a toll on her. But ever since that kiss…he hadn't been able to get her out of his head. He would toss and turn at night knowing that Kagome was at her apartment, alone, not handling this whole situation the way she should. Sure she had to be professional for the case but this…this was personal. Every time he looked at her face all he saw was the hurt and anger that had been plastered on her face since she had started here. It wasn't so noticeable before Souta's death, but now…it didn't even seem like she was trying to hide it anymore.
 
He knew more than anyone else that she needed to vent. Do anything, just let it out. Cry, yell, do something. And she needed to know that she wasn't alone in any of this. She had Bankotsu, Shippo, Kilala, Sango, Miroku, Rin, even Sesshomaru…
 
And him.
 
When Kagome didn't answer he knocked again.
No answer.
Hesitantly, he turned the door knob. It was open. When he stepped in he didn't see her anywhere. “Kagome?” When he was further into the apartment, he noticed a door open. One that wasn't open the last time he was there. It was the door Kagome had hesitated to go into when she set the tapes by the door. When he was in the door way, he realized Kagome hadn't heard him knock or come in while she held, what he assumed was, Souta's pillow and tears silently slide down her face.
 
Inuyasha cleared his throat.
 
Kagome's head shot up see her partner leaning against the doorframe. Inuyasha expected her to yell at him for coming in without knocking, as far as she was concerned. But instead just wiped her face of tears and dropped Souta's pillow back in place as she stood up. She was ashamed that she let him see her like this. She was embarrassed. He knew. But she shouldn't have. He didn't like it.
 
“What are you doing here?” her voice only came out as a whisper. She didn't look up at him.
 
“I wanted to make sure you were ok.” He admitted. “If my dad showed up at my doorstep after such a long time, I would be a little upset.”
 
This seemed to surprise her even though he thought it was obvious he had cared about her to an extent.
 
“I'm fine.” She lied to her feet as she swiped her face to check if there was anymore dampness on it.
 
Inuyasha's eye brows knitted together. “No, Kagome you're not.”
 
“Excuse me?” he was confusing her, how would he know?
 
He took a step closer to her. “You are anything but fine.” He took another. Kagome didn't do anything to keep a distance. What he was saying was right. “Kagome, this isn't healthy. You, keeping everything bottled up.” Inuyasha was close enough to touch her now. He reached for her face. “You have every right to cry, Kagome. You shouldn't be keeping it from everyone.” When she finally looked up at him he was close enough to her face to kiss. “Nobody is that strong.” He whispered as he wiped the tears that had snuck down her cheeks with his thumb, his eyes never leaving hers. She was more beautiful than ever right now. This was the Kagome she had grown out of way too quickly when she was a kid. He could tell. He hadn't forgotten the picture he had seen on the coffee table not to long ago. Her eyes…they looked just they did in the picture now.
 
Kagome's breath shuddered at their closeness. What was she doing? This wasn't something she should be doing. They worked together. That's it. Then why was she letting him get so close? Why wasn't she pushing him away? Why was she letting him kiss her?
 
When Kagome didn't make any attempt to avoid him Inuyasha brushed his lips against hers after a few moments of just starring at each other, trying to figure out what the other was thinking, never taking his hand down away from her face. He didn't know if this was what she wanted so he didn't make any attempts to deepen the brief kiss, but Kagome closed the small gap between their lips, surprising Inuyasha immensely.
 
With that, Inuyasha wrapped his other arm around her waist, pulling her tightly to him, to deepen the kiss he'd been longing to give her. Her face in his hands, she hesitantly put her arms around his neck. What was she doing? Their relationship was supposed to be strictly work-only. But what about Sango and Miroku? She thought, it's been working for them. Aw, who cares? Right none of that mattered, right now. She hadn't realized it until then but the way Inuyasha made her feel…it was new to her. When he kissed her she felt like jello. Nobody else could do that. How he was able to make her feel vulnerable and unprotected and safe at the same time.
 
Inuyasha licked Kagome's mouth, she moaned and Inuyasha took advantage of it and his tongue entered Kagome's mouth and explored. Inuyasha was in heaven Kagome tasted so good; she was so warm and soft. Inuyasha stopped kissing Kagome's lips to let them both catch a breath.
 
Kagome shuddered as she let go of his neck shortly and looked down at their closeness. But before she could say anything Inuyasha lifted her chin to his lips. He wasn't done kissing her yet. He didn't know if Kagome was going to regret this or try and distance herself from him afterwards. He was going to make this last as long as he could. Kagome didn't fight it. She let herself go limp in his arms, letting him kiss her hard, almost lustful, but not so much that it didn't have feeling…passion in it.
 
This was a major turn in their relationship. They could both feel that the other was just as affected from this as they were themselves. Inuyasha crushed her body against his and she tightened her grip around his neck.
 
Suddenly a ringing filled the room, causing the two jump away from each other as if the other was on fire. Kagome, breathing heavy and dazed, pulled her phone from her pocket and flipped it open.
 
“Hello?” Kagome pushed her bangs from her face and Inuyasha quietly cleared his throat awkwardly. He watched her as her eyes became wide. “What?” Her voice had a hint of panic in it as she yelled back into the phone. “Is she ok? Was she hurt? Did he get to her?” She put her hand to her forehead as a million things raced through her head. “Yeah, no, we'll be there.” With that she hung up and headed for the door grabbing her coat on the way, the kiss long forgotten for now. “We have to get to Kisa's. She's been attacked.”