InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ There I Was ❯ The Gathering, Day One ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There I Was

Chapter Nine: The Gathering, Day One

 

{Disclaimer: If you've read Chapter One, then you already know I don't own Inuyasha.}

 

Authors Note: Heh, heh. ::looks out from under the computer desk:: You all aren't gonna kill me, cause of the whole Jaken thing, right? ::jumps out from hiding spot:: I didn't think so. I'm sorry it was nasty, but I won't do it again…in this fic…j/k. I don't think I wanna write that again. Neways, here it is. The gathering! Well, day one of it anyway. Sorry if you don't understand a few of the inside jokes in here as well, they fit so I use them. If you wanna under stand e-mail me and I'll explain. Oh! I have spoilers! If you don't wanna know, then go straight to the review responses or the story. In episode 124 Naraku kills Kikyou! Yes my friends Kikyou is finally killed! Okay, review responses.

 

CrystalBlueSeraph: Yes, they do find a way that Kagome can eventually return to her time, but she doesn't accidentally sneeze herself there. Good question though, I was surprised it hadn't been asked before.

 

-Flame

 

_-*~=~*~=~*-_

 

I relaxed my stressed muscles in the hot spring next to my room. I have to admit, I like soaking in a hot spring so much more than soaking in a hot bath or shower. I ran a bar of soap up my shoulders and sighed in contentment. Today all our hard work will pay off. The first day of the gathering will start in about an hour.

The only problem I have with this whole thing is the fact that I have to dress as a girl. My hair has to be down and everything. When I'm teaching Rin or doing other things I have to wear a kimono, yes, but I can at least have my hair up in its usual bun or ponytail. I can even roll up my sleeves and hike the bottom up a bit. Not today though. Today I have to act like a proper lady.

Don't get me wrong, I can act like a lady, but only when I want to…or am forced to. Help, help I'm being repressed! I remember when all those reporters came by after my families' death and I had to wear a black dress and look and act like a lady. Did I want to? No! I wanted to sit in my room and cry! I ended up crying on national television!

Sighing I pulled my hair out of its confines and shivered as it touched my waist with a feather light touch. The first thing I noticed was my dye. It's coming out…and there's no dye in this time…well, should I look odd with multi-colored hair, or spend an extra half an hour washing the rest of the dye out? I'll wash the dye out.

Submerging my head underwater I realized something. I'm not depressed anymore. I can look at the red in my hair with a smile and remember my father without sadness. I mean, how can I be sad with so many wonderful people around me? There's Rin, and Kouga. Kouji likes to talk to me about books we've read and Senkako said I can visit her anytime I wanted, and there's Sessh. I came back up as an image of him came into my mind.

He was smiling and had such a loving look in his eyes. I can't believe myself. I sighed and began roughly washing out the dye. The water began to turn a dark murky color as I scrubbed harder. What's my problem? I was nearly killed by Naraku and here I am falling in love again. I had thought I loved Naraku, but may be that was just some type of fake `love'.

I mean he never loved me back. And…and I think Sessh just may. Should I open my heart to him? If I do will he trample all over it? Will he leave me like my family? Or worse…will he decide he couldn't love a lowly ningen like me? God I'm so confused! Calm down, just relax. Think. He kissed Jaken for you. That's gotta mean something.

I looked down at my hair and sighed. The dye was still there. On the tips though…well…okay may be not the tips. More like half my hair. That's fine, I need to cut it anyway. I'll ask Kouga if I can borrow his dagger. I stood and grabbed a `towel' from the side to dry off with. I put on my sleeping kimono after I had wrapped my hair up in a towel to help it dry and walked out of the room.

Walking straight down the hall I knocked on Kouga's door. Mumbles and grunts came from inside and I smirked. I must have woken him up…darn…I should have been louder. The door opened and reveled a very annoyed wolf. His hair was loose and mussed and he had bags under his eyes. "You look lovely this morning Kouga-kun." I smiled.

"You'd look like this too if you had to sleep next door to Saiyako. Oh Maru! Take me, I'm all yours!" I laughed as he imitated his sister. "It's not funny! That woman is the only person I hate to sleep next to. Even my parents try to keep it down when they're umm…'talking'. Talking…? Oh! Yeah, people aren't so open with sex as people from the 21st century are. I need to remember this before I open my big mouth in front of the other lords.

"Yeah, I bet it's a pain. You can always sleep in my room if you need to, ya know."

"Maru would kill me."

"I'd be in the library. And you shouldn't get in trouble for sleeping in the same room as me."

"Maru likes you Kagome. He'll kill anyone who even thinks of taking you away from him. It's his instinct."

"You really think he likes me?" Duh! Come on Gome, even Saiyako isn't that slow.

"Kagome, don't tell me you haven't noticed the way he treats you?"

"No, I have…I just really don't know about this whole significant other thing. It tends to always end in tragedy for me."

"That was back in your village. And it seams to me that the people in your village are incredibly stupid."

"You could say that…Anyway, now that I'm completely off the topic of why I came here, can I borrow your dagger?"

"What for?"

"I've decided that I cannot live like this anymore and am going to plunge it through my heart. No, seriously, I need to cut my hair."

"Why?" I pulled the towel off my head and showed him my lovely hair as it fell past my hips.

"A) It's too long. B) All the dye didn't wash out."

"Dye?"

"Special coloring oils that change you hair color." I tried my best to explain. After all, Kouga didn't know I was from the future. "It's something I've only seen in my village."

"Why would you dye your hair? I thought you weren't that vain."

"I'm not. I have red highlights in my hair and after my father died I couldn't look at them without getting depressed and wanting to die too. So I covered them up. It was purely for my emotional well being, not vanity."

"Okay." He went inside and soon came back holding his bone dagger out to me. "Just be careful not to cut yourself."

"Thanks, I'll only need it for a minute." I took the dagger and placed it about halfway down my hair. With one quick sweep of the blade my darkened strands fell around my hand in its grip so the loose strands wouldn't scatter on the floor, and I handed the dagger back to Kouga. "Thanks again." I smiled.

"No problem. Now tell me, how much time do we have before we have to go down for the gathering?"

"Umm…" I placed my index finger on my chin and thought a bit. 30 minus, I'd say about 10…"About twenty minutes."

"Oh joy." Kouga sneered. "Thanks I'll see ya down there, kay?"

"Kay." I smiled and headed back to my room. Once I got inside I immediately dropped my hair in a trashcan and took off my now damp sleeping robe. I opened my wardrobe thinggie…I really need to learn the name of this thing…it's sad that I a teacher can't even call things their proper names. I pulled out one of the three dresses hanging up that I had the seamstress make for this event. I was going to try to hide, but if I was found, I would look like a lady. Besides, I have to eat with everyone and stand by Rin and Sessh while the guests enter.

I put on the Chinese style dress and smiled at my reflection in the mirror. The dress was dark rose red with an emerald dragon winding up my skirt to my chest. The sides had slits up to about six inches before my hips. It had no sleeves and was tight fitting. Walking over to my vanity I picked up the brush and marveled at the red in my hair. It's a lot different than I remember, a lot less in number. It makes my hair simmer in the light like there's glitter in it too. That and it's now a little above my elbows.

I put the brush down and rubbed a little blush on my cheeks. Next a light coat of dark green eye shadow and a dark brick red lipstick was applied. I feel like Barbie doll. How they had these cosmetics in this time, I have no clue, but I used them along with a bit of the perfume. I looked myself over in the mirror one more time before a knock came to the door. "Come in!" I shouted. "I'm almost done!"

I was putting on earrings as I heard a gasp. Turning my head I looked at Sessh and laughed. He stood there with his mouth open and his eyes wide in shock. Rin ran up to me with a big smile on her face. "Kagome-sensei…you look really pretty."

"Thank you Rin." I smiled. "I feel very uncomfortable though. I think I've become a cheerleader wanna be."

"I bet! You like to wear loose clothes, right?"

"That's right. I also don't like to dress up." I made a face and made Rin laugh. "I don't look like myself when I do."

"No you certainly don't." I lifted my head and looked at Sessh.

"Do you not like it?" I asked worried. Oh no…did I wear the wrong dress? I don't want to embarrass him.

"No, I like it. It suits you." He moved closer to me and smiled that handsome smile of his. He held a lock of my hair in his clawed fingers and looked closely at it. "You took the dye out."

"Yes, I think I can finally move on." I looked into his eyes as he did the same. I was drawn into them. Such emotion in such little things. I know he loves me, his eyes tell me that every time we look at each other. And do I love him? Yes. I do. I love him. And this is real love, not that fake love I felt with Naraku.

"Sesshoumaru-sama, Kagome-sensei!" Rin called and I shook my head from my daze, Sessh did the same. "Lets go! The music's starting!" We nodded and walked behind Rin towards the ballroom.

"You look really nice today." I smiled at him and he looked at me.

"I'm wearing what I wear everyday." I blushed as I nodded.

"Well, it looks nice on you."

"Thank you. You actually look like a female for once." I didn't know how to respond to the comment. I knew he was just kidding, but still…it was kinda mean…

"You're mean." Oh that was real mature! What am I, a three-year-old?

"Yes I am." I laughed as we enter the high balcony and watched as the other Lords entered with their families. Kouji came in first and bowed to us. He wore clothes like Sessh only they were a ice blue. Next a Bear youkai came into the room. He had on similar clothes as well, in a forest green. He had a woman with him along with three girls who looked about my age or a few years younger.

"That's Goro and his mate Aiko. They are the Lord and Lady of the Eastern Lands. Their daughters are Amarante, Areko, and Emiko." Sessh told me as they bowed. Once they stepped away then last of the Lords entered. He was a fox youkai and his robes were of a bright red. He too entered with a mate and a son. He looked so fimiliar…I wish I could remember where I've seen him…

"That is the Lord of the Southern Lands, Kana and his Mate Ayame. Their son's name is Haru."

"Did you just say Kana?" I asked leaning over the railing to get a better look at him as he bowed.

"Yes, do you know him?"

"Yes." I smiled. "He's one of the members of my father's band." I never knew Kana was a youkai. That would explain a lot.

"Aa." He pulled me back from the ledge and began leading me down the stairs. "We don't have to wait up there anymore. We were only waiting for them to enter. It's custom."

"I see." I grabbed Rin's hand as we began pushing through the crowd. He led us to the group of Lords with their families and I suddenly felt uncomfortable. Usually I'm not one to be shy, but I knew Kana, and he doesn't know me right now. Not only that but I guess I don't like the fact that everyone's looking at me. Do I really look that much like a Barbie doll?

"Ah, Sesshoumaru. It's good to see you again." The bear youkai, Goro said with a smile. He was old…his eyes were full of wisdom and knowledge. I think I may become friends with him. "And who is this lovely flower?" He asked taking my hand a placing a kiss on my knuckles. I could feel Sessh want to growl, but he refrained from doing so. This youkai must be the eldest of them; he seams to have some form of power over them.

"This is Kagome, Rin's tutor." I bowed and smiled.

"It's nice to meet you Goro-sama."

"Oh wow…" I heard Kouga whistle. "You were polite for once."

"I can be polite when I want to be."

"Just never to us."

"Eah, you're like family." I shrug and ignore the looks I'm getting.

"Well, it seams ya have quite the troublemaker on your hands here, Sessho." Kana smiled. "It's about time ya got yourself a mate."

"We're not mates!" We said at once. We looked at each other and narrowed our eyes. Looking back to the Lords I sighed.

"Insufferable man." Goro blinked and smiled at me.

"A vocabulary I see. So it seams the rumors are true about the human wiser than us youkai."

"Rumor?" Oh god! People are talking about me! Gah!

"Yes, and it seams they are true. It was hard to believe at first, but load and behold, here you are."

"Yes, here I am…" I sighed and shook my head…Why me? I cause so much trouble.

"I'm sorry, but I must ask." Amarante spoke up. "Where did you get the idea for you dress? It's beautiful."

"China."

"You've been to China?"

"Yes, it's quite beautiful."

"So you travel?" Emiko asked. "Where else have you been?"

"Many places. All of them far across the oceans. I don't believe you've heard of many of them.

"Well, Sessho." Kana spoke up. "Shall we leave the women ta mingle while we speak with ya?" I looked at Sessh and sensed his apprehensiveness. Pulling him aside I whispered into his ear.

"Oi, you look like you just kissed Jaken." He shook his head and sighed.

"They're going to ask about mating. They're just as bad as their mates. Beware, they will speak with you as well most likely."

"Gotcha." I winked and we joined the group again only to be looked at with suspicion. "Rin, come with me." I said taking the little girl's hand again as we were separated from the men. Sighing I followed them into the garden. I let Rin go to pick the flowers and kept a keen eye on her as the others spoke.

They ignored me for a few hours and I began playing tag with Rin to pass the time. I felt their eyes follow me and heard them whisper. They must be judging me to see if I was worthy enough to mate Sessh. I'll show them worthy. "Hey Rin, come here! Look!" I pointed to a butterfly resting on a flower. Rin ran over and smiled.

"Wow! What a pretty butterfly!"

"It is isn't it? Do you know what those markings on its wings are used for?"

"Cam-O-fladge." I laughed.

"It's pronounced Cam-ou-flage. And yes. Why?"

"So…so…they don't get...eaten?"

"Yes! I'm glad you remembered!"

"Do I get extra bonus points?"

"No, but you get a big hug!" Rin smiled and squeaked as I squeezed her in one of my lighter bear hugs.

"Kagome-sensei?"

"Yes Rin?"

"I'm hungry, can we go eat?" I smiled and nodded. Holding her hand I walked over to the gossiping women.

"Please excuse us, Rin wishes to eat."

"Of course honey." Ayame spoke with a kansai accent just like her mate. I guess that happens when you live in the south. I walked inside with Rin and walked over to the appetizers.

"So what would you like?"

"Noodles!"

"Alright, noodles it is." I smiled and began placing some noodle salad on her plate. I listened as Rin began talking all about the last gathering Sessh attended. She had gotten attacked by one of the youkai and Sessh left early. Awe…that's so sweet, I knew he cared about Rin like a daughter. Handing Rin her plate-o-noodles we walked over to one of the tables and she began to eat.

I smiled as I watched her in wonder. Is this what it's like to be a mother? Taking care of your child, watching them grow and learn, helping them when they need help? I wonder if Sessh would like to be a father…oh wow…where did that thought come from? I blushed and shook my head as the ladies came and sat with us. "We were wonderin' if ya wanted any company." Ayame smiled.

"No, that's quite aright, thank you though."

"We insist." Saiya smiled. "After all we wouldn't want the future Lady of the Western Lands to feel as though we don't like her." I stared at her with my mouth a gape and looked extremely stupid for my IQ.

"I am not hearing this…" I covered my ears and closed my eyes. I felt a gentle hand on my arm and look at Ayame. She removed my hands and smiled.

"There's nothin' ta be afraid of. You're the only one ta ever get this close to Sessho here."

"You're kidding me?"

"Nope!" I looked at the smiling Rin. "Ayame-sama's right. Sesshoumaru-sama doesn't like people, youkai, hanyou, or human. He's anti…anti…"

"Social?" I offered.

"Yes! Sesshoumaru-sama is anti-social."

"Which is why you should mate him." I looked at Aiko and shook my head."

"I don't want a mate." The women looked at me stunned.

"W-why ever not?"

"I don't know. I just don't want to get hurt again, I guess."

"Sessho would never hurt ya." Ayame smiled at me. "Trust me. I've known Sessho since he was a littl'o boy. The fact that he looks at you and not glares tells us."

"What do you mean?"

"When Sessho was little' his mama had to turn him around if guest were over. If she didn't he'd glare at them and refuse ta eat." I laughed at the thought of Sessh as I little boy glaring at people.

"I can see him doing that." Rin pulled on my dress and I looked at her. "What?"

"This is really good, try some!" She held up her chopsticks to my mouth and I took a bite.

"It's very good Rin." I smiled as she returned to eating.

"The little one's really taking a shining to you." Aiko smiled. "Rin's never been so open with any of us."

"That's because you all don't like me."

"Where'd you get that idea from?" Saiya asked.

"You told me to leave at the last gathering we saw each other." The other ladies looked at Saiya and glared.

"You would say something like that to the child." Aiko sneered. "Don't worry about Saiya, Rin." She turned to us and smiled. "She's not very nice." Saiya `harrumphed' and I shook my head. "Now about you, Kagome." The two of them, Aiko and Ayame, leaned over and smiled wickedly.

I couldn't help but get scared…only a bit, but scared nonetheless. "Ah there they are!" I sighed in relief as Goro pointed us out and the men came over. The other lords sat by their mates and Sessh sat next to me. Great…I feel uncomfortable sitting next to him with the ladies gazes on me. I swear, if eyes had arrows, I'd be full of them by now.

I lowered my head and hid behind my hair…ah one good use for long hair. Sessh pulled my hair back and behind my ear and I could feel his eyes shooting me with those invisible arrows too. He lifted my head and looked into my eyes with concern. I could feel my cheeks heat as Aiko's words echoed in my mind.

I can't stay here, not right now at least. Rin tugged on my dress again and I quickly turned my head and looked at her. Oh thank you Rin! "Kagome-sensei, I'm done. Can we go back outside now?"

"Yes." I squeaked and blushed further. I cleared my throat and picked her up. "I-I mean, yes. Please excuse us." I picked up Rin and all but ran out of there. I think I heard Sessh growl and ask the ladies what they had said to me as I left the room. I don't know exactly what he asked I wasn't listening. I put Rin down once we got to the garden and she ran for the flowerbed.

I sat down on a bench and relaxed. The older people get less embarrassed about sexual subjects as the younger people do I guess. They were practically telling me to crawl in bed with him…no, scratch that, they were telling me to crawl into bed with him. Just because I'm from the 21st century doesn't mean I'm a slut. I don't go crawling in any man's bed. I folded my arms over my chest and closed my eyes as I snored. "No I really don't."

"Don't what?" Before I could process whom I was talking to I had already answered. And it wasn't a very good answer either. It was the flat out truth.

"Go crawling into any man's bed." I head a growl and my eyes snapped open. Sessh was standing in front of me with a look as if he was really going to kill something…or better yet, someone…a group of someone…like the ladies.

"Who said you did?" His voice was murderous as he looked at me.

"Never mind. You warned me about it, I just didn't take you seriously." His eyes narrowed and he looked as if he was going to go and hurt the ladies. He really did! I swear it! "Don't hurt them, you could start a war." He sighed in frustration and sat next to me.

"You're right."

"Naturally." I said watching Rin. I still feel a bit uncomfortable around him. Darn you Aiko. "So at dinner tonight, am I going to have to turn you around so you'll eat something?" I could feel his heated gaze on me as I snicker to myself.

"I see Ayame was telling stories then?"

"Oh yes! You seemed to be quite amusing when you were little, Sessh."

"This Sesshoumaru is never amusing." I laughed and shook my head as I turned to look into his loving golden orbs.

"I wouldn't go that far." I smiled at him.

"I was wondering if you would like to talk with Goro. He is by far the wisest of us and he has heard stories of you wisdom and has wished to meet you for some time. I believe you two would like to each other."

"Ah I see how it is." I tried to look hurt. "You still want to get rid of me." I turned my head and folded my arms. "Well fine then! I'll just go back to my own time!" I stood and he grabbed my arm.

"Kagome, I don't mean it like that!" I turned with a big smile on my face and looked him in the eyes.

"Scared you." He chuckled and shook his head.

"I'll show you scared." He smirked and he dragged me to the ground straddling my wait. He pinned my arms above my head with one hand and began tickling me mercilessly with his other. I tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but I was laughing too hard and it was only making it worse.

"This is hardly asking if she'll speak with me pup." Sessh got off me as I stayed on the ground trying to catch my breath.

"She was being rude."

"Yeah right…" I breathed as I was able to sit up. "You just can't handle a little humor." I stood and dusted my dress off. "It would be a pleasure to speak with you Goro-sama."

"Thank you. Follow me." He smiled and I complied. Sessh would take care of Rin, he was already watching her with me anyway. Goro led me to the library and we sat across from each other in some very comfortable chairs. Ah the library, how I love it so…

We sat there talking for I don't know how long. We spoke of theories and problems. We had discussions and heated debates at times along with mutual agreements. I think most of the time was spent on discussing the great questions of the universe. Namely which came first, the chicken or the egg. Personally, I believe it was the chicken. The chicken can devolve from the dinosaurs while an egg can't. I mean come on people! Who ever heard of a giant mutant egg? A giant mutant chicken I can see, but an egg? Maybe in Godzilla, but like that'll ever happen.

By the time we had run out of breath to argue with, a servant came in and told us dinner was ready. We made our way to the dining room sill discussing issues as we entered. We immediately sat at the table where the lords and their families sit…or he did. I began walking off to eat in the garden.

"Kagome, where are you going?" My newfound friend asked.

"I'm not a lord, and I'm not a family member."

"Oh so what? You can be my adoptive daughter if you wish." I laughed and nodded. I sat next to him as Sessh came in with Rin. Rin ran up to me and smiled.

"Kagome-sensei! I missed you! Did you have a nice talk? Did you learn anything like when I talk with you? Did you find a new friend?" I laughed at her antics and smiled.

"Yes I had a nice talk, I learned more of other people opinions and beliefs, and yes, I believe I have mad a new friend." She smiled and hugged me. Sessh put a chair between Goro and I and we just looked at him. "You know, he's not going to bit me. You don't have to be a wall or something." He just sat there and I sighed. Such a child, I swear.

Dinner came and went with no issues. I didn't even have to turn Sessh around so he would eat something. I stayed at the table as some couples got up and began dancing to my oh-so wonderful music. It was so cute! Sessh had Rin on his feet and was dancing with her! It was just like when my papa would dance with me when I was little. Goro and his mate stayed sitting with me, they said something about being too old to dance or something like that.

"So, Lady Kagome, where did you live before you moved here?" I turned to Goro with a fake smile on my face.

"Yes, where are you from?" Aiko urged me on. Great, I was afraid someone would ask me this question. What was I suppose to say? I'm from a country that hasn't been discovered yet? I lived in a part of Japan that hasn't been founded yet? THINK KAGOME!

"I'm from a country called England." YES! England! They speak English and they're far enough away that no one should know of the cities.

"Ah, we've head of that country. What brought you all the here?" Goro asked. Okay, this I can answer.

"I'm actually a doctor and I came here to study abroad. I want to learn more about the eastern style of medicine so I can better prefect my own." It's kinda true. I went to the west to study abroad for a few years not the east, but who cares?

"How wonderful." Aiko smiled. "I've never met a female doctor. Are you any good?"

"Not to brag or anything, but I'm actually very good."

"So are you going to show us one of your dresses from England? I've seen a few of them and they're just lovely."

"Yes. I was going to wear one tomorrow. Just don't tell Sessh, he's not going to be too pleased."

"Oh I'm sure. They're quite indecent." Yeah…indecent…these people need to see one of the prostitutes on the street corners where I work if they think Renascence dresses are indecent.

"It's not that bad. After all, it is a different culture."

"Oh yes." I relaxed and returned to watching Rin and Sessh. I really wish I could have that kind of bond. Parent and child. I always have, it's not fair! I sighed as I watched. They're so cute together. Rin turned her head and waved at me. I waved back with a smile on my face and she continued dancing. Once the song ended she ran over to me, and Sessh slowly followed.

"Kagome-sensei! Come dance!"

"No thank you Rin. I can't dance very well." I lied. My papa forced me to take dance lesions so I could be in his music videos. I can dance extremely well, I just don't like to.

"Please!" She looked at me with puppy-dog eyes, her lower lip sticking out. Hum…do I really want children?

"Alright." I sighed in defeat and stood up. I reached for her hand and she shook her head.

"Not with me. With Sesshoumaru-sama." She pushed me towards the surprised lord and quickly took my seat, destroying any and all chances I had of escape.

"Well, shall we?" Sessh asked with a bow. I blushed and took his extended hand. "It's okay if you can't dance, it's not very hard." He said as he led me to the dance floor.

"I can dance, I just don't like to." He chuckled and spun me around with a sparkle in his eyes.

"That's a trick worthy of me."

"Oh is it now?" I smirked as the music began to get a little faster. "Well, Mr. Trickster, lets see if you can keep up." I moved my body to the music and smiled as he did too. He was a lot better than he looked. I bet if we were in the 21st century he would have not trouble keeping up with a hip-hop beat.

We fought over who would lead until he eventually won. He's a really good dancer. I mean, he had me waltz with him to `Unyielding Wish' and he actually made it look good! That's not fair! Since when is the guy a better dancer than the girl? I have to admit I am having fun though. Actually I don't think I've had this much fun since my father died.

I looked in to his eyes and smiled. I am, I'm having so much fun and I like it. All the time I've consumed myself with work has destroyed my sense of fun. I've hurt myself so much for no reason, and hear I am, finally happy and having fun. I'm not going back, I don't want to. We slowed down and stared into each other's pools of color. This is where I belong. I know that, he knows that, and Rin knows that. That's why she had us dance.

The music stopped and we leaned into each other and before we knew it we were kissing. It wasn't like the kiss I gave him in front of Saiyako, it was a kiss full of pure love from both sides. His tongue brushed against my lower lip asking for entrance. I didn't care that we were in the middle of the dance floor and neither did he. I opened my mouth and our tongues danced with each other just as we had before.

I pulled away from him reluctantly for air and looked into his wonderful eyes. God I love his eyes so much. Weather he has his emotionless mask on or not, I can always tell what he's feeling. I rested my head against his chest as we began dancing to a slow instrumental song. This is how it should be. How it needs to be.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed the comfort of his arms wrapped around my waist and his silky hair brushing against my bare arms as we turned. I wish time could stop just like this. I never want to leave his embrace, ever. I felt a tug on my skirt and lifted my head from his well-muscled chest. Well, there goes that idea. I looked down at Rin and smiled. She was rubbing her eyes and yawning at the same time.

"I'm tired, can I go to sleep?"

"Of course." I picked the sleepy child up and turned back to Sessh. "I'll be right back." I placed a quick peck on his cheek and walked out of the ballroom. I blushed as I thought if what the onlookers might be thinking right now. I mean, Sessh is pretty famous for not wanting a mate after all. I opened the door to Rin's room and placed the now sleeping girl in her bed. Covering her up I walked out of the room quietly.

I walked back down the halls and stopped as three figures began walking up to me. Oh dear…why do I have a bad feeling about this? The light flickered as Aiko, Ayame, and Saiya walked up to me with big goofy smiles on their faces. I knew it! Darn it Tasuki! Look what you've done now!

"You did it Kagome!" Saiya squeaked; sounding quite like her daughter for a moment. "I've never believed Maru would kiss anyone like that!" Great…

"That's right. The pup is so stubborn. Goro was telling me about the trouble he was causing when they brought up the subject of you during their meeting this morning." Wonderful…

"I jus' knew ya would be able ta colla' `em and tell `em who's boss." What…? I'm so confused…is Sessh some type of submissive?

"Umm…" I blushed and couldn't think of what to say. "Well, I…uh…I" I blushed darker as I tried to explain to their wide-eyed faces. "I just kissed him, it doesn't mean I'm going to be his mate or anything."

"That's where you're wrong." I looked at Aiko and blinked. "Sessh would never kiss anyone with out wanting to mate them." I think I'm crimson now!

"He kissed Saiyako." Saiya put in.

"You got him drunk!" The other two yelled at her.

"I did not." She looked offended as the two began to gang up on her. Now's my chance to escape. I walked around them pined to the wall. I am a chameleon and they cannot see me. I am a chameleon and they cannot see me… "Where are you going, Kagome?" Darn…who said mind over matter? They lie!

"I think I hear the phone ringing! Ja!" I yelled as I sprinted down the hall and began sliding down the banister. `I think I hear the phone ringing'…hum…could I have thought of a worse excuse? I hopped off the banister and walked back to the ballroom. I sat back down at the table and put my head down like I was in kindergarten.

Why must I constantly be surrounded by cheerleader wannabes? I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up. "Are ya alright Lady Kagome?" Kana asked with a smile on his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." I smiled and stood up. I always feel uncomfortable when the person I'm talking to is standing and I'm not.

"Good. Do ya wanna see somethin' that'll make ya laugh?" I nodded and he pointed to a corner of the ballroom. "He's been like that since ya left." I giggled as Sessh was surrounded by a huge group of women who looked like they've been crying. He looked simply beside himself. I'm sure he wanted to slay every one of them, but he knew if he did there would most likely be a war as a result.

"Oh my…poor guy. What are they saying?" I could tell their lips were moving, but I couldn't hear them, I was human after all.

"They're sayin'…`how could ya betray us like that! That woman is nothin' compared ta us. We're youkai and she's a stupid ningen.' They're not sayin' very nice things, as ya can tell."

"Yep." I blinked and shook my head. I hate it when people judge me before they even know me. I could have been good friends with those women, but now I can't trust them. Those are the kind of women who will steal your boyfriend behind your back. "Do you think I should go help him?"

"I don't think so. They were spoutin' death threats earlier." Wonderful…

"He's gotta want to kill them by now. And I think his patients is wearing thin. I can see the vain in his forehead from here. That can't be very healthy."

"Naw it can't be. You just be careful now ya here?"

"I hear." We laughed as I walk up to the group…err…mob of women and try to push my way through. Sessh still hasn't noticed me and I think that's a good thing. "Excuse me." I say nicely.

"Buzz off! I got here first!" One of the females yelled and swatted my face with the back of her hand. I rubbed my nose and sniffed.

"Yes, well, I said MOVE!" I yelled and must have scared them. The women cleared a path for me and I grabbed Sessh's hand and began to get him out of there. I think I know why Sessh likes people afraid of him all the time. It really inflates your ego. We walked over to the table and sat down.

"Thank you." He said as I began checking the bride of my nose for any brakes.

"Not a problem. Those women are dangerous."

"Did they hit you?"

"Eah." I shrugged my shoulders and stretched. "It didn't hurt."

"I'll kill them."

"Don't be so homicidal. You're like my brother's goldfish."

"I am nothing like a goldfish."

"Yes you are. You're homicidal."

"Goldfish aren't homicidal."

"My brother's was. He killed anything you put in the bowl with him. He even attacked his fish food before he ate it. It was scary. And not only that, but after he killed the fish he ate it. So it was a cannibal too. The dang thing bit me once, and I never fed it again."

"You're odd." I looked at him hurt and placed my hands over my heart.

"How am I odd?"

"Out of the blue, you start talking about a homicidal, cannibalistic goldfish."

"So?"

"You're odd."

"I know, but I like being odd. I think it suits me."

"It does."

"Are you trying to imply something?" I asked gazing into his eyes.

"Maybe." He smirked and kissed me again.

"People are watching." I whispered against his lips.

"Let them." He held my head in place as he began to explore my mouth again. I explored his and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"See, what did we tell you Kagome?" Gasped and jerked my head back. Ack! I think I inhaled some salvia! I coughed a bit as I looked up at the three ladies and picked up my water glass. I took a sip as Saiya spoke again. "If you had just said you were going to go make-out with Maru we would have left you alone." I spit the water back in my glass and began coughing again. Are these girls trying to kill me?

I felt Sessh rub my back and help calm me down as I finally controlled my coughing fit. "It's not like that!" The three just looked at me like they could see right through me. I blushed and looked down at my lap. "It's not."

"Please leave." I heard Sessh growl. He was getting really annoyed about being interrupted I think. I know I am! The ladies sat around us and smiled.

"We're quite happy where we are." Aiko smirked. I faked a yawn and stood up.

"Well, I'd love to stay and chat with you lovely ladies, but I'm quite exhausted and need some sleep. I'll see you in the morning." I smiled and bowed to them and walked out of the room. I feel better now. All those eyes on me were making me nervous. I think they were making Sessh nervous too. I opened the door to my room and entered. Before I changed I locked the door.

I don't trust as many men that are in the castle not to try to come in. There was wine and sake, and I'm sure a few were already drunk. I took out my earrings and placed them on the vanity. I hung my dress back up in the wardrobe thinggie and put on my sports bra and sweat pants. I walked over to my washbowl and washed the make-up off my face and brushed out the tangles in my hair before I crawled into bed.

I stared at the ceiling and listened to the beat of the drum downstairs. It wasn't as loud as I would have liked it to be, but it helped lull me to sleep. Something I desperately needed. My brain was too busy processing all the things that have happened today. I know I ran away just now, but I couldn't help it. Tomorrow's another day and I'm sure it will be better than today.

I closed my eyes and dreamt of my wonderful Sessh all night long.