InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through Music will Bridges Forge ❯ Con Fuoco ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews. As always, they help me get the next chapter out. So... faster updates are directly proportional with reviews. *hinthint* ^_^

Fanfiction.net:

Inuyasha'sDreamGRL - Merci beaucoup! I'm happy you liked it.

suteki da ne - I'm glad you read this despite it being a Sess/Kag fic. This chapter has quite a bit of Sess/Kag interaction, but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless! ^_^

Duke-of-Spades - Hehe, Naraku is hot! It's odd, it's always the bad guys. And Sesshou of course! Always Sesshou! (Though he is kind of a bad guy himself, isn't he?) Wheee!! ... Ahem, pardon me. ^^;;

Byjinder - And I sincerely hope this chapter doesn't. Though, it is a tad shorter, but only because I just couldn't get myself to continue from there. ^^ Glad you're enjoying this!

Silver-Blue-Eyes - Yup, he is a bit. ^^

ioke - Don't know if this still counts as 'soon' -hears the sounds of disagreement- Ahem. ^^;; But it's an update nevertheless! ^_^

Katana-kun - Okidokes! Thanks for the review!

Nyxie-Hell - Oh wow... thank you so very much! Your review made me so happy. All the things you said are just so amazing and... wow. I mean, I personally think this isn't that good compared to some of the other fics on here, but your review just... stunned me. -beams- Frankly, your review was in itself a wonderful piece of writing. I don't think I've ever read one so eloquent! Oh, and one more thing: You're the only reviewer so far who's noticed any of my mistakes (typos, grammar etc.), and they annoy me beyond words. However, I seem to have something of a partial blind eye when it comes to editing my own work. I was wondering, would you be willing to beta? It's quite alright if you'd rather not. ^_^ Anyway, let me know? My email address is on the bio page in case you wanted to know. Once again, thanks so much! ^_^

Orchidaceae - I'm rather relieved that someone from before remembers this fic! ^^ I still have no idea why it was taken off, but meh! It's of little consequence now. I'm glad you've found this story again and am really happy you're still reading! Hope you'll continue to! ^_^

Mediaminer.org:

sakura yamakawa - Oi. No one's every threatened to tie me to the computer before. Usually, they have to drag me away. ^^;; Thank you for reviewing, and all the nice things you said. ^_^ Hope this chapter will have enough Sess/Kag interaction for you! (Noo, it's not practically the whole chapter... sorta. Sess/Kag is so fun to write! ^^) Oh, and nice to meet you too Cherry. ^_~

EvilBunny - Arigato! Hope you continue to like this fic!

EvilNekoEatsYourSoul - Thanks for your input! I love your name, by the way, soul-eating - it's good stuff! ^_^

kikitravel - Yay! Glad you liked it! :D

Medatsu - It helps lots (and I'm flattered)! All the nice things you guys say make this so much more fun than it would have been! Thanks for reviewing! :D

Black Rose Lady - Your review was so nice! Domo arigato! I hope this fic will continue to be to your liking, and please, if you find anything amiss in this fic, let me know! ^_^

Through Music will Bridges Forge

Chapter 3 - Con Fuoco

Kaede-sensei listened attentively to the two students in front of her. She remembered them, for the two of them had been particularly hard to place. Both had such prominent styles and were strong musicians in their own right. It seemed they would overshadow any and all partners she placed them with. Thus, she had put the two of them together, hoping that their musical styles would complement, rather than clash with the other. In order words, this group performance would be anything but average. It would either be something that could make the gods weep with delight or a total disaster. She hoped it would be the former. A risk, indeed, but it was a risk that she had been willing to take.

"... so you see, he will not be able to attend our group practices for at least a few more weeks."

Out of all the auditions she had listened to, this young woman's was one she would not quickly forget. Though she herself was not one who specialized in the piano, she was had enough knowledge regarding the instrument to be able to appreciate the skill and passion with which she infused her music. Perhaps, that was why she had taken another risk in regards to the young musician. There were other piano instructors at the university, but despite his rather dubious background, Naraku was without a doubt the best of them all. She wanted this girl to learn, really be able to learn something from her time at the university. Kaede was a good judge of character; she hardly ever went wrong, and she held high hopes for this girl, very high hopes. She also knew, that if nothing else, Naraku would make sure she learned, and as for the rest, she could only pray the girl possessed the poise which would be undubitably required of her.

Kaede paused, thinking on her next words.

"I see. Well, that is unfortunate. For now, I suppose the two of you will just have to make do, practice as much as you can without him. Please, give Matsumoto-san my regards."

The two bowed and exited the room. Her thoughts turned to the young man who had just been in her office. He was a pity, that one. Another promising young musician who had gone to the corporate world. She was not in the least unaware of the situations concerning musicians nowadays. It was rare that one would succeed, and even rarer that they could make very much money based solely on that, especially the classical artists such as the two she had just talked with. She thought him to be an exception though; he had the determination and the grit to be able to overcome such obstacles. Such a short life... and yet already so much heartbreak, but those experiences had given him to resilience to be able to conquer adversity. It was over him that she had stood up to one of the school's greatest benefactors, Takeda Inutaisho. It was over him that she had risked perhaps more than she should have. And in the end, it was all in vain.

She couldn't help but sigh in regret.

Her ruminations were interrupted by a very familiar voice.

"Thinking on the lost battles of the past?" came the gentle query.

She turned to face her colleague, and one of her oldest and most trusted friends.

"Ah, you know me." she smiled half-heartedly. "It gets tiresome though, doesn't it? Seeing these young people follow their heads instead of their hearts... or succumbing to the pressure and expectations that are piled upon them?"

"But there is always hope, and we keep on fighting." Myouga's tone mirrored her sombre mood.

Abruptly he smiled, "Such as that girl, the one who so resembles my niece. She is hope."

"You noticed her as well?"

"How can I not? I also noted you placing her under the instruction of Naraku."

"Aye, he has the most to offer her. After all, he almost..."

"He did at that... Such a pity, that one. She is like him at that age."

"Too much like him. I fear for her, sometimes. I fear for all of them. With Naraku, it was so unexpected." She sighed, "I hope it is the right decision."

"And I hope my actions regarding Naraku were not mistakes." He paused, "I had faith, and still do, in Kikyou's judge of character, and yet..."

There was a poignant pause.

"How is she?"

"Still the same. Still in Paris and still set in her course of action, despite Takeda-san's feelings."

"After what she went through, I cannot blame her. The Church is something of a haven for those like her. But... it's such a shame. She and the younger Takeda brother were so close."

"Indeed."

The old friends shared a moment of silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

* * * *

Sesshoumaru walked in silence, wearing his customary bland expression, though his mind was nowhere near as calm. He was acutely aware of her proximity, and she never ceased to amaze him. Their practice had gone inordinately well, once more. The challenges that she presented, then the thrill as he answered them. It was rare than anything could inspire such emotion within him, his walls were too well built. But now...

His eyes washed over her as he let the melodious sound of her voice caress him in waves, unconsciously memorizing her every feature.

"... I promised I would visit him. Hrm, come to think of it, now would be a good time. Oh! Why don't you come with me? I'm sure he'd be glad to see you too! After all, you are one of his partners. So, what do you think?... Er... Sesshoumaru?"

The content of her words finally hit him. Had he been a lesser man, he might have blushed for his inattentiveness. As it was, he merely met her gaze with his own, one elegant brow lifted in silent query.

"You weren't paying attention, were you?"

Sesshoumaru was startled. 'How was she able to tell?' he wondered, 'I doubt my father would have noticed.' Seeing that she was still waiting for his response, he filed that piece of information to the back of his mind, reminding himself to return to it.

"This, Sesshoumaru, does not waste his time visiting fools who have not even the attention span to avoid an oncoming vehicle."

She frowned. "That's not very nice, Sesshoumaru. He's your friend, you know."

"I do not associate with those of such imbecilic nature."

He could tell he was beginning to grate at her nerves. He smiled inwardly; she was fun when she was angry.

"Well, excuse me Sesshoumaru-sama!" she retorted, placing a sardonic note on the title, "I suppose persons such as myself should also remove themselves from your presence!"

She turned, apparently about to walk away in a huff.

He was again unpleasantly surprised when he found he felt genuine regret at the thought of her leaving.

"Kagome."

She paused at the sound of her name.

"You may stay." He said it with deliberate flourish.

An air of contentment swept over him as she spun around, a grin crossing her features.

"So you'll go with me? Great!"

He was about to protest that he had said no such thing when she twined her arm with his and proceeded to half-walk half-drag him in the direction of the hospital.

'I suppose I will indulge her just this once. Matsumoto, idiotic though he is, is part of our group and his poor condition will adversely affect mine.' Yet, even in his mind, the excuse rang false.

* * * * *

Kouga looked up warily as the door to his room opened. He hoped that it wasn't that nurse again. A mothering hen, she had forced food and a variety of other ill tasting medicines upon him. His apprehension fled as a familiar dark-haired girl popped her head into his room.

"Kouga-kun!" She stepped jovially towards him, a slight bounce in her step. "How are you feeling?"

"Oh, Kagome-chan! I wasn't feeling very well at all..." he smiled reassuringly at the concerned expression that had flitted across her features, "but now that you're here, I feel just great!"

Kagome mock-glared at him for misleading her, than smiled sincerely, "I'm glad Kouga-kun."

Kouga was about to reply when he felt another presence in the room. All tension returned to his body as his eyes fell across the figure. Golden eyes stared at him, chilling him to the core. Forcibly turning away from those eyes, Kouga smiled politely.

"Takeda-san." The other man had an air about him that made Kouga feel ill at ease. He keenly felt the chill that radiated from Sesshoumaru, so much that even his usual cheer couldn't overcome it. Thus, he used courtesy to cover up his discomfort.

The three of them chatted for a while longer, Kagome relaying to him the words Kaede-sensei had regarding his situation. He smiled half-heartedly at their, or rather her, well wishes. Eventually, it seemed that even Kagome had become unnerved by the tension in the room. He bid her goodbye before sagging slightly in relief as the two of them walked out the door.

It had not escaped his notice that Sesshoumaru had glared at him throughout the whole meeting, saying not one word but delivering his intent with crystal clarity.

'Hands off.'

* * * * *

Kagome rubbed her temples tiredly. The visit with Kouga had been more draining than she thought it would be. The suppressed hostility between Kouga and Sesshoumaru had been highly discomfiting. She was puzzled at the actions of the two men, before concluding that it was most likely the clash between their very different personalities.

She was jerked out of her musings by a feather-light touch upon her arm. She shivered despite the warmth of the afternoon sun.

"This way."

"Eh?" Kagome was confused, "Where are we going? The university..."

"We're not going to the university."

"Then where...?"

"Just come."

Kagome sighed and followed the silent figure of Sesshoumaru.

* * * * *

"Sugoi..." Kagome's hushed whisper reflected her awe. Never in her life had she seen a building that possessed more grandeur. Ornate architecture graced the structure, giving it a Victorian appeal. Large, stained windows could be seen on all sides, their pristine glass sparkling in the sunlight. But perhaps the most astounding was the garden in front of the house. Filled with a great variety of exotic plants, it was all arranged in such a way that it was trim without losing the wild touch. Kagome felt as though she had stepped into another world.

Drinking in her surroundings, Kagome walked mechanically, unaware of where she was going. Perhaps that was why she ran smack into Sesshoumaru when he paused before the door. She blushed, silently chastising herself for her lack of attentiveness, before muttering out a quick apology. Looking up, she realized Sesshoumaru, though as expressionless as ever, seemed amused, golden eyes... twinkling? She started. Since when had she been able to read his emotions? He had always seemed so distant, and yet now... she could not imagine him any other way. Now, it seemed as though he had always been like, for lack of a better word, this.

Her gasp was audible as they stepped past the threshold. A glistening chandelier hung above their heads, polished marble floors guiding one to the spiral steps. And yet... for all its beauty, there was a general feeling of aloofness. The décor was cool and professional; it almost seemed identical to one that came out of a catalogue. There was a lack of private mementos, of personal touches.

Following Sesshoumaru's brisk footsteps, she came to a room that she immediately loved above everything else she had seen thus far. It was an auditorium of sorts, a high-ceilinged chamber hidden behind ornamental doors. Glass sliding doors led to the back estates. They were open at present, a soft zephyr causing the flimsy white curtains to dance in the breeze. She loved it for its simplicity. But that wasn't the most amazing thing of all. In the far corner of the room stood a grand piano, the sort one would see present during a concert in places such as Carnegie Hall. The mahogany wood gleamed, warm in its tone. Its very presence seemed to call to Kagome, a beckoning that rivalled the legendary song of the sirens.

She breathed deeply, wanting to imprint the image forever into her memory. Everything she had seen was far beyond the scope of her middle-class life.

Turning to Sesshoumaru, she regarded him expectantly with a brilliant smile, for once without words.

* * * * *

Arai-Takeda* Keiko paused upon re-entering the house. A petite woman in her mid-forties, she looked younger than her age would suggest. Long dark hair was pinned up in a simple bun; her gentle green eyes sparkled with her thirst for life. She was a woman who faced adversity unflinchingly and always kept her head held high. She would have to be, for it was no easy task being the second wife of the great Takeda Inutaisho.

They had married, in secret, a year after the death of the beloved Takeda Amaya, the first love of her husband and the mother of his firstborn child. Only immediate family had been invited to the intimate ceremony, though to both her and Inutaisho's regret, Sesshoumaru had refused to attend. The death of his beloved okaa-san had changed him greatly; at least that was what she had been told. At times, she thought of the late Amaya-sama with a bit of resentment; she was constantly compared to her, and she realized she could never live up to the place Amaya had held in the hearts of those who loved her. Then, she felt only compassion for the other woman, for she was now gone from this world, and would never have the opportunity to live and share her life with people such as Inutaisho. She regretted the role she had played in causing Amaya's death, but she had been young and, she admitted, foolish. And yet... she would not give up Inutaisho for anything. She realized the selfishness of her thoughts, but she was not one given to total altruism.

Keiko's thoughts returned to the present as she concentrated upon the mellifluous tones drifting throughout the house. Raptly listening, she was able to pick out her stepson's unmistakable sound and flair, but... what was this? She knew of no one who was able to play the piano, least of all so well.

Fixing a determined smile upon her face, she decided to investigate.

* * * * *

Sesshoumaru could barely keep the silly grin off his face. He had known, beyond all reasonable doubt, that he and Kagome would be able to achieve further heights, better bring forth the essence of the music in this room than at the university. Kagome had been properly amazed at the sight of his home, and the wonder that had crept past her features at the sight of the auditorium had been greatly gratifying.

"Kagome."

"Hm?" she appeared to be still held by the vestiges of residual sound.

"Thank you."

She appeared to shake herself of out her reverie. "Oh no, Sesshoumaru, I should be thanking you. This place, " she gestured around the room, "is absolutely incredible. I have never known this piece could sound so good..." she laughed, slightly embarrassed by her next words, "I never knew I could sound so good."

She turned to face him, "So... arigatou gozaimasu Sesshoumaru-san." She stood and bowed formally, "Thank you for inviting me to your home."

Sesshoumaru felt a warmth creep into his chest.

"I knew." He whispered, staring at Kagome, wondering if she understood. Unsure, but surreptitiously hoping. Exactly what for, he found himself lacking in knowledge. It was a new sensation for one who, since an early age, had lived his life with surety; seldom did doubts ever plague him. Indeed, it was something else...

His ponderings were interrupted by the entrance of someone whose presence he'd resigned himself to being inevitable, but whom he felt no warmth towards.

"Sesshoumaru-kun, who's your friend?" He grimaced. He detested the familiarity with which the woman used to address him. To Sesshoumaru, the voice seemed overly sweet; the inflections were slightly nasal in their tone.

Nonetheless, he responded, as he always did, with frosty courtesy. "Arai-san," even now, he refused to refer to her as Takeda. In his mind, there would only ever by one woman who held that title, and she was now deceased. "This is Higurashi Kagome."

He watched as Kagome bowed politely, "It's nice to meet you, Arai-san."

Keiko smiled warmly, "Likewise. Please, you can call me Keiko."

* * * * *

Kagome was confused. Sesshoumaru had introduced them, but she still had no idea who the woman was, nor why she was there. Sesshoumaru's actions had revealed little. He treated her courteously, but acted as though they were strangers. The stiff formality she had experienced with him when they'd first met was there. 'His mother...?' she wondered.

Her reservations were somewhat alleviated when the older woman smiled warmly at her, but she was still worried at Sesshoumaru's stiff posture. All the relaxation that had softened the lines of his body had vanished; she could tell he was virtually bristling. What she couldn't figure out was why.

"I must say, the two of you make quite a pair! That amazing music I heard, that was you?"

Kagome blushed and looked down, nodding her head in response. She sneaked a glance at Sesshoumaru, wondering how he would respond. He remained silent, merely looking right through the other woman, almost as though she wasn't there. Kagome felt a hint of disapproval tug at her, 'Why is he acting that way? It's rude, even by his standards!'

"Sesshoumaru-kun, why don't you and your friend join your father and myself for dinner? It's getting quite late, and I'm sure you're hungry."

"No, that is not necessary." Came the curt reply.

Keiko visibly flinched, but firmly held onto the friendly smile. "Oh, come now," she chided, "We haven't eaten together as a family for so long! It'll be just like old times!"

At this Sesshoumaru stiffened. "Then I'm certain my presence shall not be required." His voice, if possible, was even more frigid than before.

"Sesshoumaru..."

He cut her off, "Inuyasha is the one whom you should seek. Excuse me."

With that he strode out the room, leaving a bewildered Kagome behind.

"Ano..." she murmured, shifting slightly uncomfortably.

Keiko shook herself and smiled at her, "It's alright."

Kagome returned the smile, though her thoughts were still going a mile a minute. "Then, perhaps we shall talk more in the future."

"Hai."

"It was nice meeting you. Thanks for having me." Kagome bowed politely, managing to hold herself at steady walk until she was out of the room, before sprinting to catch up to Sesshoumaru. She had every intention of questioning him about his actions.

* * * * *

Sesshoumaru seethed. How dare she? How dare she act as though she was always part of the family? If she thought that he would accept her now, just because of a few months absence, she was sadly mistaken. To him, she would never be more than Keiko Arai, the manipulative whore who had ruined his family. Ensnared his father.... killed his mother...

Remembered hurt tugged at his emotions, his mind a maelstrom of past grief. He felt the weight of it all bearing down on him, suffocating him...

And he was in this state when Kagome finally reached him.

* * * * *

"Sesshoumaru! Sesshoumaru!" Kagome panted, "Wait up!"

She heaved an inaudible sigh of relief when he finally stopped, apparently registering her frantic calls. She looked around; they were now outdoors, in a forested area of some sort. It was a section of the estate she did not recognize.

"What do you want?"

She scowled, "Well, you can't just abandon me in your own house!" Anger now fuelling her actions she stalked up to Sesshoumaru, standing so that they now faced each other.

"And what was the deal back there? You were totally rude to that woman!"

His eyes flashed dangerously; she took an involuntary step back. "Do not presume to tell me what I can or cannot do." His voice was deadly quiet.

She was treading on dangerous ground, she realized this, but pure stubbornness refused to allow her to back down. "Obviously someone needs to! She was only being nice and you threw in back in her face! What is your problem?!"

Before she could blink, Sesshoumaru was right in front of her, his face so close that their noses were almost touching. His hands were curved into claws; his fingers digging painfully into her upper arms. He pushed her harshly backwards, manoeuvring her so that she was pinioned against a tree. Panic began to fill her. 'Oh no, I've really done it now...'

"Who do you think you are that you would judge me?" he snarled, "Don't fool yourself into thinking you know the first thing about me, about her. Perhaps your opinion would change if you knew of her treachery, of her deceit, of her...!

He broke off abruptly, turning from her, his body filled with tension. Kagome stood, badly shaken. It wasn't so much that he'd manhandled her. No, it was what she had seen in his eyes in those brief moments.

Pain.

Anguish.

And the deepest sorrow.

It made her heart ache. 'Gods, Sesshoumaru, what happened?'

* * * * *

Sesshoumaru stood, back to her, his mind in even more turmoil than it had been before. 'Why did I treat her like that? What must she think of me now? A monster.' He thought bitterly.

In those brief moments he had been filled with anger, such burning and all-consuming rage. He hated that the person he had come to value would stand against him. Desperation had fuelled his actions, desperation that she understand, that she... But it didn't matter now, he had lost whatever faith she had once held in him.

Thus, he was more than a little startled when a soft touch lighted upon his shoulder. With an almost childlike uncertainty, he gazed into her eyes, afraid at what he would find. Instead of disgust, fear, and hatred, however, he saw emotions that he never thought would be directed at him.

"G-Gomen nasai, Sesshoumaru." Her beautiful eyes glistened with repressed tears. "I shouldn't have said those things. I..."

Regret.

Sorrow.

Compassion.

A lone tear found its way down her cheek. She tried again, "I..."

"Shh..." he found himself whispering, reaching out to gently brush the tear away. The simple action turned into a prolonged caress as he felt for the first time the soft contours of her face. She shivered. "I'm sorry for scaring you."

She shook her head in denial. "Iie, it was my fault, Sesshoumaru, please, I..."

He smiled faintly; it was the ghost of a smile, but a smile nonetheless. Judging from her expression, though, he should do so more often.

He abruptly took her hand in his.

"Come."

* * * * *

Kagome stumbled after him, her shorter stride struggling to keep up with his longer one. Her mind still lingered on his touch, just as her cheek burned with it. And then he had... His every movement enthralled her, mesmerized her in ways that were inexplicable.

"Get in."

Kagome paused, mystified. "The car?" Her question sounded dense even to her own ears. To her surprise, Sesshoumaru not only didn't call her on it, but actually rewarded her with a slight smile.

"Hai."

"But..."

She met his gaze, uncertain.

"Trust me."

She got in.

* * * * *

Sesshoumaru glanced over at his unexpected companion. He pretended to be concentrating on the road, all the while watching her out of the corner of his eye. She was sitting there, the lights of the city reflecting off her ebony locks. She appeared serene, the confusion that had marred her features when he'd first suggested this trip were absent. He still had not told her their destination, but she seemed not to mind. The line of her body was relaxed, tranquil.

He turned his full attention back on their journey. He admitted to himself that he was unaware of the purpose, only that he'd suddenly been seized by the desire to take her to that site, that site which held so many memories for him. They were the sort of memories that would only grow stronger as the years passed, etching ever deeper into his psyche. Even now, as he thought of them idly, a bittersweet sentiment wound its way around his heart...

The turquoise waves shimmered with minute flickers of light, merrily reflecting the gleaming sunlight. They were calm, gently lapping at the rocks below. The skies were clear; not a cloud was in sight. A seagull swept by, crying out with its familiar call...

A salty breeze battered against his young face, bringing with it droplets of seawater from the waves below. Seating himself right alongside the edge of the cliff so that his legs dangled over the edge, he peered downwards, marvelling at the dizzying kaleidoscope of flickers that darted across the watery surface...

"Sesshou!"

The scent of lavender and spring rain flooded his senses, as his clear eyes focused upon the approaching figure. Beaming at her, he watched as she seated herself beside him, watched as she wrapped an affectionate arm around his smaller shoulders, watched...

... and watched helplessly as she slowly faded in the sterile, remote atmosphere of the hospital room. Grasping, but never reaching, his pale eight-year-old arms stretched out in a gesture of desolation...

"Sesshoumaru!" a panicked cry brought him back from the chasm of his memories. "Watch where you're going!"

He blinked, clearing the haze from his mind, before abruptly jerking the steering wheel to prevent them from travelling off the road. He heard a relieved sigh from the sole passenger in the car and turned to give her a curious glance.

She smiled tightly, "I hope we're going to arrive at wherever we're going soon."

Unsurprisingly, he remained silent.

* * * * *

Stars twinkled overhead in their infinite multitudes, each illuminating a minuscule element of the darkened skies. The ocean's breeze was chilling as it tousled the long tresses of the two hazy figures standing in close proximity to the cliff's edge. The promise of winter was infused in the very air.

Kagome shivered for seemed like the umpteenth time in as many minutes. With his usual brevity, Sesshoumaru had dragged her out to this precipice, only to stand apparently lost in thought. From behind him, Kagome discreetly observed him, relishing in the opportunity to watch him uninterrupted. A zephyr wound its way around her, causing her to unconsciously move towards Sesshoumaru so they were now side by side.

At her movement, Sesshoumaru half-turned towards her, his striking features impassive. A moment's hesitation and he had closed the gap between them, standing so close that she could feel the heat radiating off his body. A curious light graced his amber eyes.

"Kagome..."

A tingle raced up her spine at her name, spoken in a voice supple and smooth as velvet. She tilted her head to face him and their gazes locked for what seemed an eternity.

A stray strand of silver white hair was blown out of place and her lip itched in sympathy. Without thinking, she reached out to brush the wisp back, only to freeze as he leaned into her hand, pressing a soft kiss into the palm. A warm flush suffused her as she stared up at him, wide-eyed.

As though suddenly realizing the intimate position they were in, Sesshoumaru pulled back, though still keeping her at arm's length. He turned his gaze to the line where sea met sky.

Kagome found her voice, "Why did you bring me here?" The words were spoken almost inaudibly; she was afraid to break the spell that now seemed to encircle them. She regretted her query as a spasm of turmoil flashed across his face, before it was immediately suppressed by his rigid control.

"I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." She whispered, eyes downcast.

"Iie." He watched her out of the corner of his eye. "You have every right to."

A pregnant pause and he continued, "This place... it holds many memories. I wanted you to see it." Simple words, simple clarification, yet the weight behind them was incalculable.

Astonished, Kagome couldn't find it within herself to ask anything further, content to just be in his company. Silence descended between the two wondering souls; unvoiced questions countered by wordless answers.

And above them, the heavens spiralled on, oblivious.

A/N

* I hope this is how the Japanese write their names. What I'm trying to say here is that Keiko's maiden name was Arai, but after she got married it changed to Takeda? Do Japanese women change their last names when they get married? Let me know if I messed this up. ^^;;

Okay, so that's another chapter out. It's a little shorter than the other two, but I just couldn't get myself to continue from the last line. ^^ As for the next chapter... oh... I don't know. Finals are coming up soon, so it'll probably take a tad longer than usual. ^_^

The relationship between Naraku, Kikyou, Inuyasha, and the profs probably isn't too clear right now. It'll get clarified, though... if anyone can figure it out, kudos to you! (What is the history between Naraku and Kikyou? What have the profs done regarding Naraku? And how does the Takeda family factor into this?) Dumdumdum... any guesses? ^_^

Anyway, as always reviews are always really helpful! (And it'll only take a moment!) Pretty please?