InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ One Step Closer ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 40- One Step Closer

"Dammit," shouted Inuyasha, turning to throw Machiko onto his back as Kouga did the same with Aiko. "What are you doing wolf? Get moving!"

"I am dammit!"

"You're accomplishing nothing by yelling at one another," Machiko said calmly as the roof began to fall around them.

Kouga growled before chasing after Inuyasha as the two raced down the tunnel.

It felt as if the world was shaking, and indeed it was.

"Dammit, dammit, dammit," Kouga repeated like a chant.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Inuyasha cursed under his breath repeatedly.

Aiko actually had the nerve to giggle.

^_^

"Kagome?" Shippou called after the miko you had suddenly turned to retrace her steps.

"They're running this way," she explained, picking up her pace to a full out sprint.

"Dammit, what the hell is going on?" shouted Sango, turning to follow Kagome.

^_^

"The tunnel ends up ahead. Just turn right," Machiko declared.

Inuyasha didn't reply but listened to the instructions and shot up to the surface, Kouga close behind.

Machiko slid off of Inuyasha's back and turned to see the branch way of tunnels collapse behind them. "Damn. Looks like I have to take the long way home."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome yelled, throwing herself into the hanyou's arms.

Inuyasha fell to the ground with an `oof', his arms going up to tighten his hold on Kagome's waist, taking the impact of the fall. "Dammit, bitch, remember the pups!"

Kagome sat up and looked at the hanyou that was sprawled beneath her. He looked quite distraught. "Opps, sorry Inuyasha."

"Sorry my ass," he said to himself, helping both of the off the ground.

The rest of the Pack along with Kouga's wolfs arrived then, their gazes questioning.

"So, what about the Snakes?" asked Miroku.

"Dead," replied Inuyasha.

"Machiko-Chan, is that you?" asked Sango, noticing the human girl for the first time.

"Sango-sama, it is a pleasure to see you again," Machiko said politely.

"Where did you come from?" asked Shippou from his perch on Miroku's shoulder.

"I was here to dispose of the Fire Pit Snakes," the human girl replied.

"You were all by yourself?" asked Kagome.

"Not exactly . . ."

"Speaking of which," Kouga interrupted, looking down at Aiko. "You are in soooo much trouble young lady, you'll be lucky to have time to bathe when I'm done with you."

"Yes, Kouga-sama," sighed Aiko, bowing her head.

Kagome smiled and placed her hand on Aiko's head in a comforting gesture. "You really shouldn't place yourself in danger Aiko-Chan. You could get hurt."

Aiko pouted but didn't repute the statement. "But back to Machiko-Chan," said Kagome. "How did you plan to dispose of the Snakes?"

She sighed. "By a spell that released sunlight. Sunlight is a pure element, thus harmful to hell born creatures. I simply whispered the incantation that released the sunlight in turn killing the Snakes."

"Oh, that sounded easy."

"Yeah," snorting Inuyasha. "The only problem is outrunning the cave in that followed."

"How did you plan to out run it?" asked Miroku.

"I'm sure I would have found something," Machiko replied, crossing her arms.

"Whatever," dismissed Inuyasha. "You might as well stay with us tonight and then you can return to the mountain in the morning."

"One of my wolves will accompany you," Kouga said.

"That is not necessary," replied Machiko.

"Deal with it," snorted Kouga.

Machiko sighed but didn't argue. She silently followed Inuyasha and his Pack back to their cave. Once there, Kouga said farewell, leaving one of his wolves to attend to Machiko in the morning.

Inuyasha settled himself by the cave entrance and waited for Sango and Miroku to return with dinner. Shippou curled up by Inuyasha and instantly fell asleep. Kagome busied herself by trying to get a conversation going with Machiko, but finding it oddly difficult.

"Who accompanied you last night?" Machiko asked suddenly.

"Accompanied us?" repeated Kagome.

"There were those other than your Pack here last night. I can feel it," Machiko said, her eyebrows crossing with a thoughtful look.

"Yes, there was a boy named Morio and his mother," Kagome said absently, her thoughts going back to their sudden disappearance.

"And you came through the night unharmed?" asked Machiko.

"Well yes. We each had these strange nightmares and when we woke up, the two were gone."

"They were not creatures of this world," the human girl said softly, though loud enough for Kagome's demon hearing to pick up.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you feel their essence?"

Kagome's eyes filled with questions, but she closed her eyes and concentrated on the cave. She could feel the strings of spirit from her Pack and dismissed those immediately, centralizing on the two spirits from Morio and his mother.

The miko's eyes shot open. "Kagome?" Inuyasha called from his place by the cave's entrance.

"They weren't mortal."

"No," confirmed Machiko. "They were slaves of the Kamis."

"But I don't understand," continued Kagome. "Aiko-Chan had told me that Morio had been living in his village for some time . . ."

"Waiting until they were useful to their masters, I assure you."

Inuyasha shrugged and turned away from the conversation. The two were gone now; the test had been taken. He knew they would be facing tests from the Kamis, it wouldn't do to dawdle on the past.

"I suggest," said Machiko. "That you be wary of strangers from now on, and ALWAYS keep your guard up."

"Yes," agreed Kagome. The miko took a deep breath before smiling. "Now, let's move on to more happier subjects. Tell me about your favorite hobby."

Machiko rolled her eyes and sighed deeply. The fates were laughing at her, she was sure.

^_^

"Houshi-sama, would it be too much to ask you to keep your hands to yourself?" asked Sango as she stared down at the monk who was just beginning to regain consciousness.

Miroku sighed and tried to stand up despite his body's protests. "I slipped," he excused himself.

"Right," said Sango sarcastically.

Miroku did his best to keep his innocent mask on until Sango had turned her back at him and then he made his move.

Taking a quick step forward, Miroku grabbed Sango's wrist and spun her to face him. Not giving her time to reject him, Miroku pressed Sango up against the nearest tree and captured her mouth with his own.

Sango moaned against his lips, giving him the opportunity to enter her mouth with his tongue, fully exploring each corner of her mouth before rubbing his tongue against her own.

Miroku broke the kiss to look down at a breathless Sango. Her lips were bruised and her breathing swallow as if she had just ran a few dozen miles. And Miroku thought it wasn't possible for His Sango to look any more beautiful.

"Houshi-sa-" Miroku cut her off with another kiss, this one chaste and sweet.

"Call me Miroku," he said against her lips.

Sango shivered and absently noticed his hands were behaving for once.

"Miroku," she said, smiling before moving in for another kiss.

Miroku sighed into her mouth, not being able to recall the last time he had felt so happy and content. Regretfully, he again broke the kiss and stepped back from Sango.

"We should really find dinner. I doubt Inuyasha will be happy that we have kept Kagome-sama waiting."

Sango nodded, trying to collect her thoughts. "Yes," she agreed. "It's never a good idea to keep pregnant women waiting."

Miroku smiled at her and offered her a hand. "Perhaps fish would be a significant dinner for tonight. After the kiss I am in no mood to move far from your side to hunt game."

Sango blushed but accepted the offered hand.

Miroku noticed the blush and smiled inwardly. `You're one step closer Beautiful Sango.'