InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Start Anew ❯ To Start Anew ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.
 
It has been two years since we defeated Naraku but to me it seems like yesterday. I know I should be paying attention to the teacher since this is my last year of school, but those events still haunt me today. My friends are starting to wonder about me, they say I've changed these last two years. As I gaze out the window of the classroom, my mind drifts back to the last day I spent in the Warring States Era.
 
I will never forget the fierceness of that final battle, nor will I forget the destruction and sorrow that came with it. Miroku, he was the first to die, his pain filled scream still haunts me. I remember turning toward him and I yelled at him to look out but it was too late. Before Miroku even had the chance to move Naraku had managed to shove a tentacle through him. It killed him instantly. Poor Sango was devastated by the loss. I remember her turning to Naraku with her eyes blazing as she swore revenge for the lost monk. Naraku took no notice of her and concentrated his attack on Inuyasha and I. I knew how hard it was for Inuyasha to try and keep me safe while attacking Naraku. Naraku kept me scrambling so much I never had the chance to shoot an arrow yet. He was using the nearly completed Shikon Jewel to its fullest and the battle was raging.
 
My best and dearest friend Sango, why did you have to die as well? I will never know whether it was despair or anger that drove her to attack Naraku with such fury. She got in some significant damage to Naraku before she followed Miroku into death. My heart nearly stopped when Sango was wipped against and impaled on that tree. Kilala was torn and dead beside the tree as I ran over in a futile attempt to save my friend. I will never forget the pain-filled smile she gave me as whispered, “you can do it Kagome, please for all of us, don't let him win.” I cried and told her that I would win but she had already passed, Inuyasha grabbed me a few moments later and put me down somewhere a little safer in the clearing. This clearing was steadily getting bigger from the ferocity of both Naraku's and Inuyasha's attack.
 
I had always considered Shippo my surrogate son, and if ever have the chance to redo that fight I would have saved him from that fate. I would like to say that Shippo had died quickly but no, whether it was to spite me or not Naraku absorbed him. My dreams have been forever haunted by Shippo's frightened screams. Throughout the entire battle this was the only time Inuyasha was forced to hold me back. I remember trying to break Inuyasha's hold on me as I struggled to save Shippo. His pleas rang in my ears until Naraku fully absorbed him. His death filled me with determination. As Inuyasha began to attack I was preparing to fire my arrows.
 
 
I remember the surprise I had as Kikyo entered the clearing from behind me. The resurrected priestess stood proudly beside me and strung her bow as well. She whispered for me to aim for his heart and that's what we did. Our arrows flew true and their combined strength was enough to shatter the barrier around Naraku. We all knew this battle was coming to a head. All three of us fired at the same time, as the two arrows and Inuyasha's Cutting Wind headed toward him Naraku made his last and most devastating move. He killed them. For me it was like slow motion, I could see the tentacles heading for Kikyo and Inuyasha but I couldn't do anything. Kikyo died instantly much like Miroku but Inuyasha held on. I ran to his side and placed his head in my lap. I begged him, I begged him not to die. He told me to be strong and be safe and that he loved me. Those final words from him forever stay in my heart. As his eyes closed, I pressed a final kiss to his lips and whispered my love to him. Then he was gone.
 
 
It was a few minutes before I moved but I knew I had to. From what was left of Naraku's body I retrieved the jewel. With the shards I carried with me I completed it. When the last shard was in place, my world went black. I awoke to this blackness and from it walked Modoriko. She said my purifying energy and cleansed the jewel and that I was truly blessed. “How can I be blessed when all my friends are dead?” I cried but Modoriko was patient with me. “One wish Kagome, one truly selfless wish will both destroy the jewel and set the world right. As I stared blankly at her smiling face I knew what my selfless wish would be. “I wish,” I said slowly, “for peace and happiness in the world now and forever.” Modoriku smiled told me my wish was granted and that I should not worry about my friends for they will all be reincarnated to better lives. The light from the jewel was overwhelming and when I awoke I was lying at the bottom of the Bone Eater's Well in my shrine.
 
 
Perhaps I should be happy, I mean I saved the world and destroyed a source of evil but my friends forever haunt my thoughts. I wonder where they are and if they truly are happy in their new lives. The first two months after the battle were especially hard. I missed a lot of school and spent much time crying and grieving for my friends. My family was as supportive as always and even added a small alter to our shrine in honor of my friends. That alter helped me get over the loss so much. Slowly, over the last two years I began to get used to my old life again. I began attending school regularly and going out with my friends. Sometimes, when I was out with my friends I would catch a glimpse of a face or hear a voice that was so familiar. But every time I turned around I wouldn't find them. Though I readjusted to my school life I never went out with Hojo again. Inuyasha's words still kept me from going out with any one.
 
I snap to attention as the school bell rings and I head to my locker then my next class. I'm ready to make and honest effort but despite that my mind again wanders and I stare out the window. I long for my old friends so much at times like these. I vaguely hear the teacher announce a new student. I raise my hand mechanically when he asks me to. I hear my friends giggle and whisper about how the new boy is sitting next to me. I smile warmly and glance over as the boy slides into the desk next to mine. He seems so vaguely familiar with his brown eyes, tan skin, and long black hair. My curiosity about him is peaked so I write a note asking his name and pass it to him. Looking around he opens it, and writes down his reply then he passes it back. I carefully unfold the note and smile at the name written down. Perhaps I have dwelled on the past much too long I think it's time to start anew.
 
My smile is a lot brighter now as I turn to him and warmly greet the new boy. “It's nice to you… Inuyasha.”