InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Training Hearts ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I love the only Inuyasha related thing I own. My cute little chibi inu key-chain which lives out its happy life on my iPod making fashion statements everywhere (Ha! Take that Parris Hilton! You want something hot? Then look at my iPod cuz it's so cute and knows how to accessorize.)
 
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
 
 
"One," Kagome counted, "two, three."
 
The front door burst open the second she put her hand on the knob, revealing three teenage girls.
 
"Let's go shopping!"
 
May her own personal hell commence.
 
It wasn't that she hated shopping. Shit, it wasn't even that she hated shopping with her friends. What she did hate was going shopping with her friends for a new outfit for her date tomorrow. Even that wasn't such a big deal, but having her friends ogle Inuyasha until six tomorrow night when her "savior" came would make her want to do something drastic.
 
Her three friends quickly brushed past her as she stood in the doorway to find their way to her room and ditch their stuff. Kagome slowly closed the front door (the symbolic irony of the gesture was not lost on her) as she submitted to her fate. She slowly walked up the stairs to confront her friends for their own special version of the Spanish inquisition.
 
She supposed that this was her own fault really. She did ask them to come over and help her pick an outfit out. When they had asked her why, she had been foolish enough to say that Inuyasha had asked her on a date, and she agreed. This was promptly followed by shrieking and before she knew what happened her friends had invited themselves over for the night. Her parents, unfortunately, were all in favor of this.
 
God, it wasn't even like it was a big deal!
 
...Ok, so maybe it was, but only for two reasons.
 
The first was that it was about time that she started dating again. She had lied when she told Inuyasha that she had broke up with her boyfriend a few weeks ago. He broke up with her a few months ago.
 
The second was something that Inuyasha himself had pointed out. He was an Olympic athlete, and a gold medalist, so there for he was a somewhat famous person. He wasn't Brangelina famous, no, but B class actor? He was above that. That, in her friends' eyes, was a big deal.
 
Alright…there might have been a third reason too. He is sexy as hell. There. She finally owned up to something she always knew.
 
"First," Eri pounced, "we want a recent picture of the guy. Find one now."
 
"Why?" Kagome demanded, her eyes narrowing into slits as she crossed her arms over her chest.
 
"Because we want to determine his hotness level again, to see if he is worth our time." Yuka reprimanded.
 
"But you guys know what he looks like."
 
And that was the truth. They had seen him many times throughout the three years that she had been training under Sesshomaru. She could still remember the first time, too. They had just tagged along with her one weekend because afterward they were gonna go to a movie and then sleep over at her house. They had only been fourteen at the time, so they still needed their parents to take them everywhere. Her mom had gotten them to the gym early and they were just in time to see Inuyasha do one final run through of his routine. He had been seventeen at the time, but they were in awe of him. Liquid grace and perfection all melded into a human being known only as Inuyasha. His flips and twists had captivated them, and when they got to see him up close, they wanted him. He had not stayed long after he had finished the high bar, but long enough for him to be the source of her friends' dreams for weeks to come. He was beautiful. She would not deny it. Inuyasha hardly spoke to her back then, so he too had caught her interest. It was only when she was older that she found out that he was a jerk, and even older when she found out that he was a jerk because he liked her.
 
"So what if we just wanna check him out again?"
 
"God…you guys are impossible!"
 
And they were. From that day on, they had made it their personal goal to make sure that one of the four of them snagged the male specimen of grace and elegance. They all demanded constant pictures of him, and often times when they came to watch her practice in later years, the camera phones were flipped out, snapping shot after shot of him…most of which were very provocative.
 
Still though…if they wanted to check out her man again then they could check him out. It wasn't like they had a chance with him in any case.
 
Wait…her man?
 
Dear Lord, it was just a date. It wasn't like she was his girlfriend or anything. But…did that mean that she wanted to be his girlfriend?
 
The squeals of her three friends brought her out of her thoughts as they literally started drooling over the picture that she had found on the web of him.
 
The picture had been taken three weeks ago at a park. Sesshomaru had taken them there for a picnic one afternoon in hopes of getting them to squabble less. Needless to say, it had not worked out well, but it had been a fun experience in the end. Inuyasha was sitting down on the grass, leaning up against the rough bark of the tree. The day was sunny, with blue skies and not a cloud in sight. They had taken cover under the welcoming boughs of a giant tree to shield them from the sun and to help keep them cool. Inuyasha was wearing one of his polo shirts again. This time it was a deep cranberry red. It was a good color on him; it helped to set off his hair and brilliant eyes.
 
She let her friends take over the computer the second her eyes had locked with his in the screen, and before she knew what was happening, her friends started to look up his stints in the gymnasium off of youtube. That was fine with her, and she didn't mind so much, until the girls started talking about the ass's ass, and the items opposite of his ass. That was when she got protective and shut off her computer, ignoring their snickers at her reaction.
 
"Well? Can we go now that you guys have rated him…again?"
 
"Oh yeah," Eri smirked. "We have a lot of work to do. Grab your purse and let's go!"
 
A lot of work, huh?
 
"First we have to get your layers redone," Ayume started, "then we need to make our special hair guacamole, so that means a trip to the grocery store. Then to the mall! We need to lather you in lotion, get some new makeup, a new outfit, shoes! You are going to look amazing when we are done with you."
 
When she got out of this, she was going to kill Inuyasha.
 
 
 
***
 
 
"Inuyasha, might I ask as to why you are destroying your brother's room with his wardrobe?"
 
Inuyasha poked his head out of his brother's large walk in closet to take in his father's expression as he examined the hurricane damage. Clothing, or more specifically shirts, were spewed all over the floor, bed, and Sesshomaru, who was lying on the bed pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration and exasperation. His father had a look of both amusement and curiosity etched onto his face; an eyebrow arched delicately towards his hairline.
 
He could not help but blush at his father's question. So far, he had only told Sesshomaru of his date with Kagome. He did not want to tell his parents yet about tomorrow night until he walked through the door with another date set up with Kagome. This date wasn't just a big deal for him, but for everyone. Inuyasha glanced over at his brother and watched as he rolled his eyes, removed his hand from atop his nose, and sat up to explain to his father the reason why his brother had turned his room into a disaster zone. More important, he supposed, why he tolerated it.
 
Inuyasha ducked back into his brother's closet, riffling through the clothing there. He would hold up one shirt before throwing it behind him and selecting a new one.
 
"He is moving on, father. It has taken four years, but he is finally moving on."
 
"He got a date?"
 
His father's voice was full of surprise and he was sure that both eyebrows were now in his hairline.
 
"Yes."
 
"Kagome?"
 
Silence. He supposed that his brother had nodded.
 
"How did he…when did he?"
 
"Monday, though he did not go into details. He just showed up here a mere thirty minutes ago and turned my room into this.
 
"It's about time." Inuyasha heard his father whisper. "Four years. Can you believe it? After all this time…" his father trailed off, barely able to speak the magnitude of the situation.
 
"It was hard for him. It was so un…"
 
"What do you guys think?" Inuyasha suddenly asked, cutting off his brother. He had quickly thrown on a shirt that he was considering to get them off of that topic. It was still hard for him to hear, even if he wasn't bleeding inside anymore. He stepped out of the closet wearing a short sleeved, black, button down shirt. He had left the top buttons undone, revealing the thin silver chain looped through a tiny hole in a small silver coin. He could feel their eyes travel over his body as his father and brother examined how the shirt fit on him. It was tighter on him than his brother, but both knew the female mind and knew that in this case, this was not a bad thing.
 
"You look good. I forgot about that shirt. It should be worn more often. Air it out a bit."
 
"You think that she will like me in it?"
 
"Yes." They both told him.
 
"But…"
 
"Inuyasha, it is more important that she likes you and not the shirt."
 
Words of wisdom that could only be spoken by a parent. Inuyasha was silent for a moment as he took them in.
 
"She will like the shirt though, right?"
 
"Inuyasha, just keep the damn shirt and wear it tomorrow!"
 
"Really?" he was not sure if he should trust his brother on this.
 
"Yes! Now clean up my room from the mess you made!"
 
 
 
***
 
 
"Kagome, this shirt was made for you."
 
She didn't pay attention to who had said it, but it did not matter. She was going to a fair for god's sake! Not a club! The shirt barely had anything to cover her skin with and make it family appropriate. Besides…all the skimmer, glimmer, and shine that made the shirt one big piece of bling would blind Inuyasha in the sunlight.
 
"Kagome, you forgot that you want to make his jaw drop. That means that you have to wear it."
 
Kagome turned around to face Eri, her hands on her hips. They had come back to her house after four hours, only to have her friends shove her into the shower as they prepared the hair guacamole. When she had finally emerged from the shower, they pounced on her again, lathering her hair in the guacamole before covering it in plastic wrap. Now they had four different outfits thrown on her bed as they tried to decide which one would be best for the next day. So far her three friends were gravitating toward the skimpiest of the four, while she was slowly starting to cling to the idea of wearing just a simple pale blue sundress that she had gotten that day.
 
It was very, very pale, like the sky on a clouded day. Small, tiny white dots were flecked all over the surface of the dress. White eyelet lace trimmed the hem of the sundress, and a thin belt that wrapped around her petite waist was made of the same lace. The v-neck of the dress was not that revealing, but it was enough to tempt Inuyasha, and she loved how one flap of the v-neck was tucked into the other, almost as if it were wrapped. She liked the simplicity of the dress and how it did not scream "I am easy", unlike the other three outfits.
 
"I think that I would rather wear the dress."
 
"You can't do that! You have to wear this one!"
 
"I don't feel right wearing that one."
 
"You still looked amazing in it though."
 
She was silent as she let her three friends try and convince her that the outfit that they wanted her to wear was the best one to wear. 'Oh Kagome, he will love you in it! Oh Kagome, he will drool over you when he sees you in this! Oh Kagome, it is so cute! How can you not wear it? Oh Kagome, oh Kagome, oh Kagome.' She just wanted to yell at them to shut the fuck up! She didn't want to wear something like this to the fair, but did that matter to them? No.
 
She sighed.
 
Perhaps the guacamole was getting to her brain. She should not be angry with them. She had brought this down upon herself. Besides, they were only trying to help. Maybe the stress of the Olympics was starting to get to her. A break from it all tomorrow would do her some good. Still though, she would not wear that outfit!
 
Her gaze shifted to her phone and an evil idea came to mind.
 
While her friends were still going on and on about how great it would be if she wore that tomorrow, Kagome silently slipped over to her slim phone and dialed a fake number into it.
 
"I will call him you know. I will call him and cancel the whole thing," she bluffed, keeping a calm expression on her face as three pairs of eyes looked at her in bewilderment.
 
"Kagome, you can't do that!" Eri cried out.
 
"Then let me wear what I want," Kagome shrugged.
 
"You're evil," they told her as they turned up the music.
 
"Yeah, I know."
 
"Aren't you at least a little excited that you are going on a date with him?" Ayume asked as she helped Kagome put her newest purchases away.
 
"Why? It is just a date, right?"
 
One day, looking back on the date, she realized just how wrong she was about that.
 
 
***
 
 
"Breath in, breath out."
 
That was easier said then done. What did he have to fear? Kagome? Nah…she couldn't do a thing to him. She could only crush him to a thousand pieces by rejecting him on the date. Yup. Nothing to worry about. Not a thing.
 
Still though, you would think that he would have an easier time ringing the doorbell then he was.
 
All he had to do was lift his hand up, just like so, and press the little round button off to the side of the door frame.
 
His eyes widened when he realized that he had gone through with the action that he had just been coaching himself to go through with, resulting in the light musical chime to alert the Higurashi family of his arrival.
 
"Oh shit," he whispered jerking his hand back to his side. He was not ready yet! Then what if she was not ready yet to go with him? What if he came too late? What if he came too early? What if she hated the flowers he brought? What if…
 
"Who are you?"
 
A young boy had answered the door. He could not be more then thirteen, and he had to have been the brother that Kagome was always talking about. What was his name…
 
"Hey Sota!" God he hoped he was Sota…
 
Well, the kid wasn't correcting him so he must be right.
 
"I'm Inuyasha. I'm ah, here to pick up your sister. Is she ready?"
 
"Ooooooh…so you're the guy that she and her friends were going crazy ove…"
 
Sota never got to finish his sentence for suddenly out of nowhere a hand shot out and clamped down over his mouth, cutting him off from saying more. 
 
Inuyasha's eyes traveled across that hand to follow the long, smooth length of an arm up to an almost bare shoulder. His gaze took him from a shoulder to a neck, and from there Inuyasha found himself starting at the painted face of Kagome.
 
"Well I thank you for getting the door for me Sota, but as you can see I am here now and I can deal with it," she told him as she grinned through her teeth.
 
It? Is that what he was? An it? Just a thing? He knew that that was not how she meant it, and that he should not be taking her words this way, but they still hurt.
 
"Why don't you go back inside and play with your video games some more?" Kagome continued, finally unclamping her hand from on his mouth. The boy shrugged and ran back inside after giving out a 'nice to meet you' courtesy to Inuyasha.
 
"It was nice to meet you too Sota!"
 
His attention was brought from her brother's retreating back to the woman before him.
 
She looked beautiful.
 
Was he really about to take this dangerous enchantress out on a date?
 
"Why don't you come in for a moment? I have to get my purse and then I will be ready to go."
 
"Ok," he replied, slowly walking through the threshold to the inside of her house. She started to walk away from him, leaving him in the hallway when his hand snapped out and grabbed hers, preventing her from escaping him.
 
"Wait, I, ah, well…here." He mumbled, blushing profusely as he shoved the bouquet of flowers that he had kept behind his back at her.
 
Shit…should he have given them to her like that? Should he say something to her now that he had all but forced her to smell them?
 
"I, um, ah…thought that you might like these."
 
Could he sound any lamer? Where the hell was his fucking confidence?
 
But…that smile of hers…it made it seem all right, like he had not messed up completely by shoving the flowers into her face.
 
 "I do. They are beautiful Inuyasha. Thank you. Let me go and put these in water and then grab my bag. I will be right back, so stay right here, ok?"
 
"Yeah, sure."
 
She was gone in an instant and he was left to sweat things out in the corridor. Did she really like the flowers or was she just being nice? What kind of vase was she going to put the flowers in? Where was she going to keep them? Did it matter? Did she spend just as much time finding her dress as he spent looking for this shirt? Did she care about what she was wearing? Did she like what he was wearing? Gods, where was she?
 
Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she reappeared in the entryway with her purse.
 
"Are you ready?" He asked, hopefully.
 
"Yeah, let's go."
 
He took a deep breath, and opened the door for her as he walked her out to the car.  He had cleaned his car out the night before, vacuuming the interior, and spraying some Glade to freshen the inside. She probably would not notice, but he still wanted to make as good an impression as possible. He opened the door to the car for her, which clearly caught her by surprise given the eyebrow that shot up to her hairline.
 
"Thank you," she murmured as she got into the car. 
 
He gently closed the door, before walking around to his side of the car and getting in.
 
He watched her as she buckled herself into the car with the seatbelt, and proceeded to do so himself.  He put his keys into the ignition, and started the car.
 
Damn it…why the hell were his hands shaking like this? He gripped the wheel tighter, trying to get the tremors to ease up. It wasn't that big a deal…it was going to be just like the last official date he went on four years ago when he came back from Athens…right?
 
 
 
A/N: Ok….so this chapter was shorter then the rest, but I could have made it supper long, or end it here. I went for here since I am under a LOT of stress right now…if the school year keeps up like this, I might have to keep posting new chapters once a month for this one. You know my rules…school first. I don't have the next chapter done yet too. Sorry…again…I am under a lot of stress, most of which, believe it or not, is coming from White Rose still. I have to finish that by October first, and I still have a few chapters to do. Anyways, I am thinking that I am gonna post the next chapter on October 28th. Thanks to my newest beta SilverGodFanGirl for dealing with this chapter and making it purty, and thanks to all my reviewers!
 
Now onto the AR's!
 
To: Inukag-mirosan lover
 
Already replied to.
 
To: inuyashaluvskagome909
Lol…I am glad that you liked it! I hope that this last chapter (chapter 3) gave you a little more insight into Kagome's feelings regarding Inuyasha. What can I say? We love to hate and then love Sesshomaru. It makes it fun to play with him when he is being evil to be nice. No…I don't think that I had Kagome's ex be Koga (one guy down, one to go). Thanks for the review and I hope that you enjoy the next chapter!
 
 
To: kokoronagomu
 
Eh heh heh heh….thanks….I miiiiiiiiight need to change that one of these days (preferably when I get the time). Spelling is DEFINATLY not one of my strong points in life. I am glad that you like the story and the brothers relationship. I am having fun with that part of it. Thanks for the review and I hope that you enjoy the next chapter!
 
 To: Fookie
 
Ok! The I will (when I find it…I know I have it saved somewhere…) I just have a weird system for AR's I guess. I paste them into word and then I delete them as I finish writing them up (if that makes any sense). Hehe…good! I am glad that you liked my fluffiness. I try ;-). Yeah…if Inuyasha had been the trainer, then Sesshomaru would not be in the story, and Inuyasha would have gotten romantic feelings for Kagome and it is just one whooooole other separate story that I am not gonna write. Like you said…this one is working. Lol…thank you! Hehehe…I am also glad that you like the way that Inu is turning out in the story. Cocky rough sweetness. Thanks for the review and I hope that you enjoy the next chapter!
 
 
 To: Inuyasha Baby_bre
Lol…I am glad that you like it! Thanks for the review and I hope that you enjoy the next chapter!
 
To: Lil Babe0206
 
Already replied to.