InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Trying To Hold On ❯ Trying To Hold On ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Trying To Hold On

Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any other characters. I just like to play with them.

They lay, back to back, on their respective sides of the bed, not touching. It had been this way for months. Hell, possibly years, he couldn’t remember when it first started. It was almost painful the way they avoided each other.

Then there were the memories of passionate embraces, gentle kisses and the contentment of being in the arms of the one you love. Turning over on his back and sighing deeply, he allowed the bittersweet emotions to rise up and consume him. It seemed like a lifetime ago, those two people they had been. The same and yet so different now.

The silence was almost deafening at times, but he didn’t know how to breach the wall that had risen up between them. What had happened? Where had they gone wrong?

Rolling on his side to face her, he gently touched her shoulder. She must have been awake for she turned to him almost immediately, or maybe she was just turning away from his touch.

“What is it?” she asked, peering at him through the darkness of their room.

“You don’t want to be here anymore.” It was a statement, not a question. He could see the answer already in her eyes.

“No,” she whispered softly. “I don’t.”

“Is there someone else?” he asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

She closed her eyes briefly before answering. “Yes,” she said, her gaze unwavering.

His heart plummeted in his chest. For all their unhappiness, he still loved her.

“What’s his name?”

“Does it matter?”

Though he wanted to scream and yell, to beat down the walls with his pain; he remained calm. “No, I don’t guess it does,” he replied quietly.

Is there anyone else for you?” she asked.

“No,” he replied. “But I have thought of someone and that’s no different. We’ve been unhappy for so long. I just don’t know how to change it. I don’t want to be this way, but I don’t know if I can let go of us.”

He rolled to his back once more and stared at the ceiling. He was silent for a moment, mulling over what had just been said.

“What do we do now?” he asked.

For the first time in a long time, she reached out and caressed his cheek soothingly. “I don’t know. I’m scared, too. I’m afraid of leaving and making a mistake. One that I will deeply regret.”

Placing his hand over hers, he pulled it to his lips and kissed the palm. “I’m sorry, Kikyo,” he whispered into her hand.

“Me, too, Inuyasha,” she replied as she allowed him to pull her into his embrace.