InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Worlds Collide ❯ 12 ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha! I do own Kayla, my other OC’s, the plot, and storyline... There. I said it. (sighs)

Chapter 12:

The two groups traveled for the remainder of the day until just before sunset, when Inuyasha, who’d grown tired of Kagome’s continuous pleas, and Bankotsu agreed it was time to make camp.

Hearing this Kagome and Kayla wasted no time in gathering rocks and digging the fire pits. Miroku and Sango walking around gathered the wood and some vegetables. Jakotsu collected the water. Kagome and Kayla started the camp fires. Renkotsu and Suikotsu left to hunt returning shortly after with several rabbits and an elk.

Jakotsu grumbling knelt before the kills and cut up the meat. The girls rinsed the meat and threw it into their pots along with the vegetables and some herbs for flavoring it all. Afterwards Kayla walked over to her cousin placing a hand on her arm and requested, "Hey Kags, can we chat a minute?"

Curious what her cousin wanted to talk about, Kagome nodded and they walked off just a little ways from everyone else. Bankotsu and Inuyasha kept a careful eye on the cousins.

Kayla cleared her throat looking into Kagome's eyes and said, "Thanks you know- for helping us and all." Kayla, who was so used to having to do everything alone, really appreciated everything her cousin had done and was doing for her and the others.

Kagome smiled and replied happily, "That’s what family is for, Kay." Kayla stared at her a moment then nodded and the girls quietly walked back over to the fires.

Bankotsu walked up and wrapped his arms around Kayla's hips from behind pulling her into his strong chest. Kayla smiled leaning into his embrace gratefully. She missed being in his arms when she slept, after having grown used to it while they were in her time, so this was a welcomed surprise.

Kagome sat down beside the fire and Inuyasha sat beside Kagome. Neither male trusted the other much, so they kept close to their perspective females and eyed each other warily.

Bankotsu and Kayla sat down across the fire with Kayla settled between Bankotsu's opened wide and bent at the knees legs, with his arms circled firmly around her waist and his chin leaning on her shoulder.

Kayla looked at Kagome and mentioned, "After we get this taken care of, we can start hunting for Naraku." Knowing that Bankotsu and the others would agree with what she’d just said.

Kagome looked across the fire at Kayla a moment and nodded her agreement.

Inuyasha stared at Bankotsu and questioned, "Shouldn't ‘zombie boy’ there know where he is?" Scowling he thought, “Seriously the zombies work for him so they should know.”

Kayla's eyes narrowed at Inuyasha as she took offence at the insult to her beloved. She growled a warning, "Watch it, you insolent pup!" No one insulted her husband- without being warned or getting an ass whooping.

Inuyasha glared at Kayla and growled. That defiant little bitch had snapped at him again. Honestly would she ever learn to accept that the men were in charge and she needed to shut her mouth? Was that too much to ask?

Kagome looked at Inuyasha and warned, "Behave Inuyasha," glaring a warning at him, hands on her hips. Just because he and Kayla didn’t get along, didn’t mean that Inuyasha could provoke her cousin’s spouse.

Seeing the defeated look enter Inuyasha’s eyes Bankotsu hid a smile thinking amused, “Looks like that dog Inuyasha is already whipped.” Shaking it off he quickly made his face appear blank and answered sourly, "To answer your question mutt face, even we 'subordinates' are never told his whereabouts until we are summoned to him." Honestly Naraku wasn’t as stupid as these people seemed to think he was- Naraku was crafty and devious.

Inuyasha scoffed in disbelief at Bankotsu’s statement. Naraku brought them back and used them to do his dirty work, so he had to tell them his whereabouts.

Kayla turned her attention to Bankotsu, who was upset, and looked into his eyes as she cupped his cheek tenderly she soothed, "Easy babe, you won't be under his thumb for much longer," as she squeezed his forearm lightly in an effort to reassure him.

Bankotsu's grip around her waist tightened slightly in acknowledgment. Taking a deep breath Bankotsu sighed heavily and exclaimed seriously, "Kami I hope not! I want us freed from his vile clutches!" he truly detested Naraku and his traitorous ways.

Leaning over Kayla pressed her soft full lips to his and kissed his lips lightly saying softly, "I know love, I know," as she patted his cheek, in an effort to soothe and comfort him. Bankotsu leaned into her touch staring into her eyes and calmed down a little bit.

Turning around Kayla faced Kagome again. Bankotsu kissed the top of Kayla's head tenderly and leaned his cheek to rest against hers, after carefully sweeping some of her silky hair out of the way.

Inuyasha, who had watched their display and still couldn’t imagine the fearless and ruthless leader of the Schichinatai showing kindness or love to anyone, snorted in disgust at their actions.

Kagome, who had also been watching the display, smiled and said dreamily, "You two are so cute together." She was pleased that her cousin had finally found a man who not only accepted but respected her. Better yet he could also see Kayla for the wonderful caring person she truly was behind her rough exterior. The fact that it was one of her and her friend’s biggest and deadliest enemies was a bit disturbing, but Kagome was seeing for herself that Bankotsu truly was making Kayla happy.

With Kayla he seemed almost like a normal human. He was making Kayla feel cherished and she was smiling-that was good enough for Kagome. As long as her cousin was happy and treated right, that’s all she could ask for.

Hearing this Bankotsu lifted his head and looked at Kagome giving her his boyish grin. Looking over her shoulder Kayla smiled proudly up at him. The fact that they’d finally found each other and loved each other, filled her very being with immeasurable happiness.

Kayla couldn’t honestly remember even one time when she’d felt this happy before he dropped into her life. She realized now that with Nenji she’d just been trying to fill the emptiness that she’d felt since her father passed away, but with Bankotsu she felt completed.

Inuyasha was still unconvinced and snorting stood up walking over to a tree, and then jumped into it to sulk. His eyes never left the camp and his ears remained tuned for even the slightest bit of trouble from the undead mercenaries, as he pondered the entire situation.

Kayla looked into Kagome's eyes and queried curiously and a little nervously, "How much longer will we have to go before we find Enju?" she didn’t want to let on that she was nervous.

Kagome looked from where Inuyasha went to back to Kayla and answered evenly, "About another three or four days." Kayla nodded. She wanted the shards out of the others as soon as possible. There was no telling when Naraku would try again, or if she’d be able to stop it the next time.

Bankotsu looked at Kayla and explained, "I’ve instructed the others to rest. I will be keeping watch tonight." He wasn’t risking his comrades or his love by trusting his former enemies just yet. He was the leader and he would ensure his group’s safety.

Kayla nodded and stated seriously, "Well, unlike you I’m not used to all this excitement, so I’ll have to sleep at least a few hours," ending with a yawn.

Knowing that she wasn’t used to so much traveling on foot all at once, Bankotsu nodded and acknowledged, "It will take a while to get used to it." Kayla nodded.

The stews had finally finished cooking and Kayla and Kagome went to dole them out for their perspective groups. Bankotsu remained where he was sitting, but his eyes never left his intended.

Kayla carried a bowl of the delicious smelling stew to each Jakotsu, Suikotsu, and Renkotsu.

Kagome took a bowl each to Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha then served herself a bowl and sat down beside Inuyasha to eat.

Kayla brought Bankotsu his stew and handed it to him. Bankotsu took the bowl winking at her and said, "Thanks love," happiness shining in his cobalt eyes.

Kayla winked back flirtily and responded, "Your welcome hot stuff." Bankotsu proudly smirked then hungrily dug into his stew.

Kayla went to retrieve her orange bag and her bowl of stew. She walked back over to Bankotsu and set the bag down before seating herself beside him to eat.

After they fished eating Kayla looked at him and questioned, "Are you going to be patrolling the area or just sitting up?" She knew he’d sometimes patrol the camp and other times he’d do both.

Bankotsu looked at her and answered, "I’m going to be sitting propped up against that tree over there," as he pointed to a rather large tree.

Kayla nodded and picked up her bag before walking over to the tree where she deposited her bag on the ground. Reaching into it, she pulled out her sleeping bag and set it up underneath the tree.

Bankotsu walked over chuckling in amusement and queried, "What are you doing K-babe?"

Kayla looked at him smiling and answered, "I sleep better when I’m beside you."

He nodded and sat down with his back leaning comfortably against the tree and his trusty Banryu propped in one arm against his massive chest. Kayla waited until he had settled comfortably and then scooted the sleeping bag and orange back pack closer over to him.

Yawning she crawled inside the sleeping bag propping her head on her bent arm. Bankotsu reached over with his free hand and moved her so that her head was propped on his thigh and gently draped his free arm on top of her. Kayla didn't object, instead she snuggled into him sighing contently and closed her eyes. She fell asleep within minutes knowing she’d be safe with her lover beside her.

Bankotsu sat there content and looked at the surrounding area. Inuyasha had finally stopped sulking and jumped out of his tree. He now sat propped against the tree with his sword resting against his chest and eyed their surroundings as well.

After a while Kagome set her stuff up by the first fire and went to sleep beside Sango. A while later Miroku laid down next to Sango on the opposite side of Kagome. Renkotsu, Suikotsu, and Jakotsu all slept by the second fire on their blankets.

After a while Bankotsu looked at Kayla while she slept and his eyes softened. He was always calmer when she was around. Something about her mere presence relaxed him.

Inuyasha noticed Bankotsu staring with kinder eyes at Kayla and inquired evenly, "You actually do care about her, don't you?" looking up to stare the mercenary leader in the eyes, shocked at the obvious genuine feelings he showed for Kayla.

Bankotsu stared him dead in the eye and replied evenly, "Yeah I do, you got a problem with it?" He could really care less what the mutt thought about him and his Kayla. The only opinion he cared about was Kayla’s.

Inuyasha held his gaze and surprising him answered, "No, but she’s been hurt a lot!” He’d seen for himself once how the guys from Kagome’s time treated the poor girl. Inuyasha gazed at the stubborn woman and raising his eyes to Bankotsu warned, "You had better not hurt her!"

Getting over his shock at the mutt’s words, Bankotsu replied seriously, "I have no intention of ever hurting her!" She was his woman and no one would hurt her while he was around. Thinking Bankotsu queried, "Besides since when do you care?"

Inuyasha answered seriously, "She’s part of Kagome's family, of course I care!" offended that the zombie thought otherwise. “Okay sure we fight… but that’s because she’s too damn rebellious and stubborn!” Inuyasha admitted inside his head.

Bankotsu questioned evenly, "So tell me Inuyasha, if you care then why do you fight with her so much?" curious as to why ‘dog boy’ was now trying to warn him off.

Inuyasha laughed and answered, "Because she’s so infuriating!" thinking back to their many arguments and her stubborn streak. They’d caused each other a lot of grief in the past.

Bankotsu chuckled and confessed, "Her feisty nature is part of what I like best." She would never be boring; he knew that much for certain! Yes sir, life with his precious Kayla would be anything but boring!.

Inuyasha chuckled and shaking his head said amused, "You would." It would be just like the mercenary leader to be attracted to a troublesome wench.

Bankotsu raised an eye brow and asked, "What's that supposed to mean?" thinking, “Does this ‘dumb dog’ actually think that he is better than me? Yeah right!” his mind scoffed.

Inuyasha answered seriously, "Kagome is sweet, kind, caring, and giving. At least she has the smarts to stay out of the way when necessary."

Bankotsu pointed out just as seriously, "Kayla is all that, plus she is feisty- which keeps me on my toes. I like that- a lot! She isn't afraid to stand up for herself or others either, nor to argue back," mischief clear in his eyes.

Inuyasha frowned and asked, "Why would anyone want someone to argue with them?" really the less arguing the better, in his opinion.

Bankotsu chuckled and answered, "It livens’ things up. Much better than a spineless wench that meekly does everything she is told. Those kind bore me to tears," shuddering as he said the last part. Bankotsu added proudly, “Plus I know that if Kayla gets in trouble, she can handle herself and she would never get kidnapped.”

remembering when Koga had kidnapped Kagome Inuyasha sighed. He held Bankotsu’s gaze with a serious one of his own and questioned, "What are you really up to?"

Bankotsu held his gaze and stated dead seriously, "Exactly what we said earlier.” Seeing Inuyasha’s disbelieving look Bankotsu sighed, “Look Inuyasha, I know that we don't exactly like each other and all, but Kayla is right. We need to rid the others of these blasted shards and destroy Naraku!"

His blue eyes filled with un-disguisable pain as he said angrily, "That bastard revived Ginkotsu, Mukotsu, and Kiyokotsu, just long enough to force me and the others, who had been chained to the wall- to watch them be killed painfully again!” Bankotsu’s blood still boiled at the torture that bastard Naraku had forced his comrades to face.

Inuyasha’s golden gaze widened as he nodded urging Bankotsu to finish. Bankotsu scowled, “He’s still trying to kill the remainder of my brothers , because we haven't killed your group, wolf boy, and Sesshomaru yet." He looked Inuyasha dead in the eye and exclaimed, "I want his head as much as, if not more than any of you!" Whether the mutt agreed or not Bankotsu and his group would take down Naraku- that much was certain.

Letting all of this sink in Inuyasha tried to imagine how he would feel if it had been his pack that he’d have had to watch being tortured and killed. Sighing he reluctantly admitted to himself that he could understand the mercenaries wanting to avenge their fallen comrades. He held the younger man’s gaze a long silent minute, then letting out a deep breath replied, "Okay, truce then. But if any of you betray us, I will personally send you all back to hell! Understood?"

Bankotsu nodded and stated, "I would expect no less. You lead your group and I lead mine, so we’ll eventually butt heads in the future." Two alpha males could only tolerate each other for so long, it was just their nature.

Inuyasha agreed, "Yeah I know. You’re your alpha and I’m my alpha. It won't be easy, but for the sake of both groups we’ll just have to work it out." They both nodded and passed the remainder of the night in a deep silence.

As soon as the sun rose, the two leaders woke their groups up and everyone ate breakfast, then packing up they all set off again. They did this for the next four days. Bankotsu would nap during the afternoon meal for a few hours while the others rested then guard at night. On the afternoon of the fourth day they reached Enju's hut.

At Enju's hut:

Kagome walked to the door way of the hut poking her head in and hollered, "Hello Enju, are you home?" not seeing the young lady anywhere.

Enju walked over and greeted, "Hello Kagome. What brings you here?" Looking past Kagome she saw several people that she didn't recognize. She looked back at Kagome and questioned, "And who are your new friends?" pointing to the group she’d never seen before.

Kagome turned around and motioned for Kayla to step forward. Kayla nodding stepped forward and stood beside her cousin. Kagome introduced, "This is Kayla. She’s my cousin and also a priestess."

Kayla greeted calmly, "Hello Enju," as she stared at the red haired woman before her. A lot was going to depend on this stranger and that made her scrutinize the woman carefully.

Enju said, "Hello Kayla, so what can I do for you two?" facing Kagome again. No offence to Kayla, but she trusted Kagome.

Kagome answered, "Kayla's husband’s friends were revived using the power of the sacred jewel. We want to know if you can bring them back as living flesh and blood without the jewel shards having to stay embedded in them."

Enju thought it over a few minutes and questioned, "Why do you wish this done? Are they not a band of killers?" She’d been told in the past of the ruthless Band of Seven and had no doubt these newcomers were from that group.

Kayla looked her dead in the eye and answered evenly, "You’re very observant. Yes they are the remaining members of the Shichinintai. However, I do not think they’re completely evil either,” coming to the defense of her family.

Taking a deep breath Kayla decided to lay it out on the line for them. “My husband Bankotsu- the leader is alive again. The others however are plagued nonstop by attacks through the shards. The man who revived them through the shards, is trying to kill them. I believe they also deserve a chance at a real life, one where they won't have to kill people in order to survive." During the time she’d been staying with them she’d come to realize even though they were killers, they were still humans too. If their pasts were anywhere near as bad as Bankotsu’s, she could see why they had taken to killing.

Enju held her gaze a long moment then instructed, "Have him come forth." Enju had decided she needed to judge for herself, whether or not they truly did deserve another chance.

Kayla let out a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. Nodding she turned to face Bankotsu and called for him to stand beside her. Curious Bankotsu strode over to her and moved to stand at her side.

Enju faced him looking him dead in the eye and instructed, "Tell me, what your true desire is?" Depending on his answer she would either help them or turn them away.

Bankotsu held her gaze and immediately replied unashamed, "To avenge my fallen comrades." Then he looked longingly at Kayla with love in his eyes and added, "I also wish to give the others a chance at a better life." in a softer voice. The devotion in his eyes touched Enju, reminding her of the family she’d once lost.

Enju looked at him and saw the look he gave his comrades. After debating she said, "I see." She faced Bankotsu and informed him, "I will need some soil from your graves."

Surprised and grateful that she had agreed, Bankotsu looked at her nodding and asked, "Anything else?" he’d do anything if it meant he and his brothers would be out from under Naraku’s thumb.

Enju replied, "I will also need your vow to use your skills to help others, once you have avenged your fallen comrades."

Bankotsu grimaced at that news. Thinking it over and deciding he didn’t want to die again and leave his bride alone and grieving, he sighed and vowed dead seriously staring into her eyes, "You have my word."

Enju nodded and announced, "That will do. Bring me the grave yard soil from their graves and I shall do as you ask." Enju handed Bankotsu two jars and commanded, "Fill these with the soil."

He nodded and took the jars. He was a little nervous but if she could revive them as living again, it’d be worth it. Looking at Kayla he thought, “When we do have kids, I don’t want to leave my family unprotected, or my kids without their father either.” He would miss killing, but his woman and their future family was worth it.

Kayla looked at Enju and exclaimed whole heartedly, "Thank you Enju! We’re forever in your debt." She would owe this woman a major debt for this.

Enju faced Kagome and said, "Kagome, your cousin's heart is pure. I ask one last thing."

Kagome smiled, and then cocking her head curiously questioned, "What is it?"

Enju said angrily, "That you all destroy Naraku! He reminds me too much of my brother and must be destroyed!”

Kagome confirmed, "That’s exactly what we intend to do." Enju nodded.

Bankotsu walked back over to his men and commanded, "Suikotsu, Renkotsu, you two stay with Inuyasha and his group. Ja, you and I will retrieve the soil," holding up the jars.

Kayla walked over placing a hand on Bankotsu's shoulder and said, "Be careful Bankotsu. I would hate to lose you now!"

Bankotsu turned to face her smirking and announced seriously, "You will never lose me!" Reaching out a muscular arm to wrap around her waist and pull her into him. He lowered his head and claimed her mouth with a fierce kiss which she eagerly returned.

Bankotsu broke the kiss and pulled back. Looking into her eyes he assured, "We will return shortly, my love." She looked into his eyes a long moment and nodded. Bankotsu looked up into Inuyasha's eyes and said, "Watch over her." Inuyasha held his gaze and nodded silently promising the younger man to watch over his woman.

Bankotsu faced his men again and ordered, "Suikotsu, Renkotsu, you two stay by her side until I return! You’d better not let her be harmed! You also better obey any orders she gives! Understood?" gazing into their eyes.

They looked at their leader, and nodded. Bankotsu nodded once and spun on his heel before he and Jakotsu left to collect the soil.

Kayla walked over to stand beside Kagome and sighed already missing him. They all made camp and settled in to wait for Bankotsu and Jakotsu to return.

At the graveside a day and a half later:

Bankotsu had just finished filling the jars Enju had given him with the requested graveyard soil. Jakotsu had been staring around at their grave and sadness filled his eyes. A little sad as well at the sight Bankotsu shook it off and ordered, "Alright Ja let's head back now, we have what we came for." Jakotsu nodded and they set off back towards Enju's.

Back at Enju's a few hours later:

Kayla asked herself, "I wonder how much longer they will take?" She was sitting up alone staring at the stars, because she just couldn't sleep. Everyone else had settled down for the night hours ago.

Author's Note: Okay guys and gals there is chapter twelve please remember to read and review thanks.