InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Allies: Chosen, The Tosusaiga's True Master ❯ Where is Rin? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

{Disclaimer: See Chapter One, lovely!}

Chapter Three:

Where is Rin?!

The once proud, impenetrable fortress that was Sesshoumaru's castle was slowly burning to the ground.

The entire western part of the castle was engulfed in flames, with the southern and eastern wings not far behind. The only part of the fortress that wasn't touched by the fire was the courtyard they were standing in. Servant scurried all over the grounds, each with buckets of water in their hands. The group stood in disbelief for only an instant, then picked up buckets of their own and helped fight the blaze. Kirara, Sesshoumaru and Shorin brought water back and forth from a nearby lake, and Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha doused anything flaming. Shippou stayed out of the way, waiting for the others to finish.

+++++++

The fire finally died at dawn. Sesshoumaru stared at his home in silence. The entire western wing; which was the servants' sleeping quarters; was completely gutted. The southern wing; which held Sesshoumaru's quarters and his study; was not as bad. The flames had destroyed most of his chambers, and a few scrolls in the study. The dining room table in the eastern wing was burned in half, with a few paintings destroyed by water as well. Sango and the others stood beside him quietly, waiting for someone to speak.

Unfortunately, that person was Inuyasha.

"Well," he said, placing his hand on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. "Looks like we're even."

"What are you talking about, half breed?" Sesshoumaru growled. Shippou moved from Inuyasha's shoulder to Sesshoumaru's, like he knew what was coming next and didn't want to be near Inuyasha when it happened.

"You said I couldn't protect Kagome, right? Well, those are strong words coming from a man that can't protect his own household."

Sesshoumaru answered him by backhanding him in his jaw. Blood sputtered from Inuyasha's split lip. Just as he was going to return the blow;

>WHAM!<

"Don't be a jerk, Inuyasha!" Sango scowled, holding her boomerang over his head. Inuyasha glared up at her.

"Stay out of it!"

"I will not! You're such an ass! The man's home just burned to the ground, and you want to make jokes and piss him off? You don't have a brain in your head, do you?"

Inuyasha stood up, ready to pound Sango, when Sesshoumaru's voice interrupted him. "There is no need for your sympathies, huntress. I have another castle. We will go there shortly."

He walked away from them to Shorin, who was stomping on a smoldering bush.

"Shorin."

She turned around, bowing low as she addressed him. "Hai, Lord Sesshoumaru?"

"Where is Jaken?"

Shorin glanced at the remains of the northern part of the castle. "He is in the infirmary with Aniki-sama. He was badly injured in the attack."

"Attack?"

"Hai, my lord."

Sesshoumaru flicked some ashes off his pants leg. 'I figured the fire was some sort of mistake. Who dared attack my home?'

"My lord?"

Sesshoumaru looked at the general, his stoic mask belying the fury in his eyes. "Yes?"

"The child, my lord. We cannot find her."

'Rin. How did I forget Rin?' "What do you mean you cannot find her?" he said, unaware of how loud he was. Shorin flinched.

"She was last seen in the western wing with Jaken. I believe they were playing hide-and-seek. She has not been seen since the fire."

Sesshoumaru lowered his head, unaware of Shippou on his shoulder or Inuyasha slowly approaching. 'Rin is…dead. Again.' His hand rested on the hilt of the Tenseiga, willing it to life. It didn't respond. 'That's right. The Tenseiga will only revive whole bodies. If Rin died in the fire, then her body is no longer.' He started to growl, the hair on his neck standing on end. Shippou climbed off his shoulder to his feet.

'If I were here, I could have saved her. If I hadn't listened to Aniki's warning about Kagome, then I would have been here.'

Sesshoumaru's eyes glowed red.

'If it were not for Inuyasha's incompetence, I would have been here for Rin.'

Sesshoumaru turned around as calmly as possible, his youki swirling around him in clouds of red and gold. He glared at Inuyasha, who stopped in his tracks a few inches from Sesshoumaru. Sesshoumaru walked to him calmly, resting his hand on Inuyasha's shoulders.

"Sesshoumaru…are you o. k.?" Inuyasha asked nervously. Sesshoumaru nodded, considering for a moment crushing Inuyasha's collarbone before regaining his control.

He turned to Shorin before releasing Inuyasha. "Gather what is left of the troops, servants, and Aniki and Jaken. We are going to the castle by the sea."

Sesshoumaru wrapped his tail around Shippou as he formed his 'cloud'. "You," he said to Inuyasha calmly "and your friends are coming with me."

Sesshoumaru flew away, leaving the others to wonder about his sanity. Sesshoumaru set Shippou down on the cloud as he flew, his silver hair billowing in the morning breeze.

"Who's Rin, Sesshoumaru?" Shippou asked, whispering.

"Rin was my ward."

"Is she really dead?"

"I believe so."

Shippou quieted, his heart going out the youkai lord. He knew what it was like to lose someone, and he felt somehow closer to the youkai lord. Sesshoumaru noticed how quiet he was.

"I do not need your pity, kitsune."

Shippou nervously fingered the headband around his neck. "I don't pity you. I understand you."

Sesshoumaru nodded and turned back to the horizon. On a cliff above the ocean sat another castle, just as regal as the one that was destroyed hours before. Sesshoumaru sat the cloud down in the courtyard and waited for the others. Shorin arrived first, with Jaken and Aniki in her arms. She bowed to Sesshoumaru and Shippou before entering the castle gates. Inuyasha and the others weren't far behind, Sango and Miroku on Kirara's back.

"A servant will show you to your rooms," Sesshoumaru said as they landed. "You will be provided with suitable clothing as well." He turned and left, heading for the southern part of the castle and the study in its wings. When he finally reached the study door, he slid it open and stood there. Inside were the flower arrangements Rin made the last time they were here. Sesshoumaru remembered how determined the child was to make them, and how pleased she was when he said he liked them. 'I should have been there,' he thought to himself as he shut the study door. He walked to his desk and started on the mound of paperwork. Just as he was getting lost in the figures on the scroll in front of him, there was a knock at the door.

Sesshoumaru sniffed, then growled irritably. "Go away, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha stepped inside, a small scowl on his face. "No."

Sesshoumaru's eyebrow quirked. "No?"

"That's right, no. I'm not leaving until you answer some questions."

Sesshoumaru sat back from his work and glared at Inuyasha. "I am in no mood for you. I suggest you leave before you anger me further."

Inuyasha sat down in one of the many chairs in the room. "I'll leave when you answer my questions."

Sesshoumaru considered tossing the hanyou out of the study window by his ears, but thought about the fight that would ensue afterward. It would mess up the room, and he didn't want his last memory of Rin desecrated in such a way. He sighed in long-suffering and motioned for Inuyasha to go ahead.

"Alright. First question: Who's Rin?"

"None of your concern."

"She must be important for you to look the way you did. I haven't seen you like that since you found out Naraku had Kagome."

"What is your point, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha stood up and leaned on the front of the desk, flicking some imagined dirt from under his nails. "My point is: Why are you so taken with Kagome all of a sudden? She's human, so you shouldn't give a damn what Naraku does to her. Instead, you're yelling at me about protecting her. She's only a stupid shard-"

"If you finish that sentence, I will slit your throat."

Inuyasha blinked, surprised. He looked at Sesshoumaru in confusion, then grinned. "Has the Taiyoukai of the West fallen for a human girl?" he teased.

Sesshoumaru snorted. "Not likely."

Inuyasha tilted his head to the side in amusement. "Really? Then when you kissed her in the forest, what was that 'my father and Inuyasha be damned' stuff?"

Sesshoumaru blinked. He didn't remember saying that. 'When did I loose control as to not remember my own words?' He sighed inwardly and rubbed his temple, trying to ward off a nagging headache. It wasn't working.

"Inuyasha," he said, closing his eyes. "We will continue this discussion later. When you leave, send Shorin to me."

Inuyasha stared at him a moment, confused. He just knew he had him, yet Sesshoumaru sat just as calm as ever. He even dismissed him without opening his eyes. Inuyasha scowled and left the room. The instant he was gone, Sesshoumaru released a breath he didn't know he was holding. 'Why did I allow Inuyasha and his friends here?' he asked himself as he settled back to the figures on his desk.

Moments later, Shorin knocked on his door. "You summoned me, my lord?"

"I did. I want you to talk to the kitsune and see if he has anything of Lady Kagome's that will help you track her. Go back to the clearing in the woods and see if you can find any sign of her."

"Hai, my lord."

Sesshoumaru waited until she was gone, then left the study. Entering the northern end of the castle, he made his way to the infirmary. On one bed was Aniki, who looked a lot better than the last time Sesshoumaru saw him. He still had various cuts in his fur, but they weren't as deep as they had been before the fire. Aniki looked up and smiled as Sesshoumaru sat down beside him.

"Some night, right Sesshoumaru-sama," Aniki whispered. Sesshoumaru said nothing. He nodded instead, going over last night's events.

"What's wrong, my lord?"

"Kagome is missing. The hanyou that attacked you attacked her."

"Is she dead, my lord?" Aniki gasped.

Sesshoumaru shook his head. "No, though I doubt that will stay the case for long. I have no idea what Naraku's plans are."

"A miko as pure as Kagome-sama in the hands of that filth is utterly disgraceful. That is not all that worries you, is it Sesshoumaru-sama?"

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to sigh, hiding behind his emotionless mask instead. "A ward of mine is dead."

"She's not, Sesshoumaru-sama," croaked a voice behind them. Aniki and Sesshoumaru turned around. Jaken barely stood by his bed, holding his staff of heads to keep steady. There were bruises and cut all over his little green body, and a rip in the shoulder of his gi relaying where the worst blow was struck.

"Rin is not dead, she was taken!"

Sesshoumaru probed Jaken's memory in barely leashed fury as Jaken mentally showed him how the large forces of youkai swarmed his castle in his absence.

********

"Jaken, what was that?" Rin asked as she tapped his shoulder. They were playing hide-and-seek, and Rin was it. She found Jaken quickly, and was tagging him 'it' when a large boom came from the eastern part of the castle. Jaken sniffed the air, then grabbed the child and ran toward Sesshoumaru's room on the southern wing. He slid the door open viciously, shoved the child in, and slammed the door closed.

"Rin is scared, Jaken," Rin cried as the toad youkai stood in front of her, his staff of heads raised in front of him. Jaken didn't want to admit it, but Rin had grown on him and he would protect her without Sesshoumaru's warnings. Another crash came from the northern part of the castle, then the clash of metal against metal as fighting began. Rin paled behind Jaken and started to cry.

"What's going on, Jaken?"

"I don't know. Don't cry, Rin. Everything will be o. k. Sesshoumaru-sama will save us."

The door suddenly caved in. Standing on the other side was the baboon-clad Naraku, grinning. "Well, it seems Sesshoumaru isn't here. No matter, I'll have what I came for."

He stepped inside and Jaken immediately released a burst of flame from the staff of heads. "Leave Sesshoumaru-sama's home, Naraku!" Jaken hissed. Naraku laughed as the arm Jaken burned off regenerated.

"Now, now. Is that anyway to treat a guest? How rude." A tentacle slapped the staff out of Jaken's hands, and another speared his shoulder. Jaken fell on his side as blow after blow sliced his face and ribs. He remained in front of Rin as Naraku continued his assault. Rin hugged the poor toad when Naraku stopped.

"Are you o. k.?" Rin whimpered. Jaken said nothing, but glared at Naraku in contempt. Naraku shook his head.

"It seems you have the same disease as your master, Jaken," he taunted. Jaken sat up with his last ounce of strength, still trying to shield the child behind him.

"What do you care if my master's hobbies? Leave!"

"You will not order me, toad!" Naraku hissed. Another tentacle connected with Jaken's temple, knocking the toad into semi-consciousness. He was vaguely aware of Rin screaming for him to help her when Naraku grabbed her and dragged her out of the room as the room caught fire. His last memory was of one of the human servants bursting into the room and dragging him out, saving his life.

*********

"Forgive this poor servant, Sesshoumaru-sama," Jaken said as he struggled to prostrate himself by Sesshoumaru's feet. "I failed you."

"You did no such thing, Jaken."

Jaken looked up, surprised. Sesshoumaru motioned for him to return to his bed. When he did, Sesshoumaru placed the covers over him, mindful of his injuries.

"I said for you to protect Rin to the best of your abilities in my absence. That is what you did."

Sesshoumaru stood up and left the room, never seeing the shocked look on Jaken's face, nor the small smile on Aniki's. He went back to his study and returned to work, his heart lifted by the news that Rin was still alive.

-------

SF: Now everyone that thought I'd kill little Rin-chan today can chill. Man, you guys are ruthless.

Sesshou: {::grabbing SF by the neck::} If you put her life in danger again, yours is forfeit!

SF: Yeah yeah. {::Sesshou drops SF::} OW!!! Stupid Dog Toy! It's great that you want to protect Rin and all, but you can't find her if you don't stop trying to kill me. Jeeze, who do you think runs this chicken shack, you?

Sesshou: Indeed I do. I mean what I said.

SF: Alright. Calm down. Rin is alive, but where is she? Only I know, and on Monday you'll know too. The review responses, the recommendation and the preview are below.

Chapter Four: Rin Found!

Kagome continued to shudder, whimpering slightly. She glimmered, then started to fade away.

"Naraku is trying to wake me up. Rin, stay here with Sesshoumaru-sama," she whispered before she completely disappeared. Sesshoumaru growled, the sound like thunder in Rin's ears.

Whoever woke Kagome up so painfully was going to pay.

RECOMMENDATION: Everything's Changed by Kai19

Another great S/K fic, this one by Kai19. 'Everything's Changed' is set after the Shikon no Tama is complete and Naraku's sick behind is deader than…well, just dead. I mean, isn't that what we all want? I know I do. Anyway, before I got sidetracked, Inuyasha ends up going to Hell with Kikyou in the end (BOOO!!!!! HISS!!!), leaving Kagome to morn with Sango, Miroku and Shippou. The jewel sends Kagome back to her time alone, but she finds a grown Shippou waiting on her. Away from them is the Great Demon himself, though he has become a tad depressed {::gasp::} and bored with life. In an instant, that changes when he and Kagome cross paths one day at the mall. {Man, I need to find this mall!} I got sidetracked again. Hold on…here it is. Anyway, Kagome learns that a lot has changed, not only with Sesshoumaru, but with her so-called life as a whole. This is a great fic and I'm waiting for her to update b/c she left it at a really good part. So go see 'Everything's Changed' and review, review, review!

RESPONSES:

Fanfiction:

Crystal-Chan: Yeah, I get told that a lot. Thanks so much! *glomp* Come back soon!

Flambeau-Willow, DemonLady, Ashleigh, D-chan, Kagoe-Shippo: Thanks so much!

Psychotic Seraph: I can't answer your question out loud b/c it might ruin the surprise for some people, but you are on the right track.

Chihiro Kohaku: Thanks! I'm still mad at you for not telling me you write! I can't believe you! *sniff*

Laina Inverse: Thanks for defending me. I don't know what Inu-chan's malfunction is. He's so mean sometimes. Thanks for the love too.

Tokia: Thanks so much! A lot of people like the fable, well everyone except Inu-chan. But I don't pay him any attention.

Disturbed-Demon-Gurl: Thanks for the love! Of course I don't mind if you recommend my story. The more the merrier!

AkzTp: I know! Me too, but it was Sesshou's idea, believe it or not. He said...what did you say again, Sesshou? Sesshou: I said, since the fox pup is also to be protected. I gave my word to protect both of them. SF: Thank you. No, there isn't really a fable like the one in the story. I made it up. The Tosusaiga is supposed to be a variation between the Tenseiga and the Tetsusaiga, but it somehow got screwed up. I don't know. You're idea makes sense, but I'm not going to tell you if you're right or not. I'm just that evil. Muhahahahahahah!!

Dark Neko-chan: Thanks! You drew a picture? Oh please let me see! Thanks for the other one, I'm already arranging to put it on mm. The next chapter is coming soon!

Jazzylady: The fable is a real trip, and by the last three chapters of the series you'll really get the picture. All questions will be answered, and more will be asked! (I'm so cryptic! Muhahahahahah!)

Hoshi-chan: I CAN'T FIND YOU...AGAIN!!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! I'm so frustrated! I can't find your poem! Why? You probably don't know and it's probably not your fault. If you come up with anymore names to call Inu-chan pass them on. Sesshou's running out of insults.

Michi-Chan: Don't feel stupid. FF wouldn't let me put up the real title for the story, so a lot of people were lost. Thanks for the love!

PasoLover: Thanks! My muse asked for a story about a bird, and this one came up and out. Sounded good, so I kept it and used it for this story. Thanks so much! ::blushes::

Anio Saori: He hasn't killed her yet. I don't know what he's waiting on. I believe it has something to do with the nature special we watched a month ago. Something about how a predator stalks his prey, or something inane like that. I got him from somebody, but I can't remember who. Someday I will and ask her to send you one too.

BeyondWords: While you were away, I got sick and now I have to take antibiotics. I can't take those horse pills, so they give me that pink bubble-gum stuff that looks like liquid play-do. Still gross. I'm glad you got to see you're friend and I hope she arrived safely. Thanks for the love! The whole Shippou thing was Fluffy-I mean Sesshou's idea, if you can believe it.

Namesake: The museum worker doesn't appear in this one, but she does in 'Trial' so be on the lookout for her. If you do draw one, send it! I'll love it like my own muse...well, maybe a little more than my muse since she sold me out for a lousy $100. I do have a specific schedule and its always posted on ff and mm when I update it. Just in case I forget to for mm, its the same as ff.

Say-Chan the Pyro: I'm so glad so many people like that fable! It was once a bedtime story for my muse.

Em Starcatcher: If you do draw it, send it. I love pictures, as I'm sure you can see. As for Narasa, one of his descendents does show up, but not until the last three chapters of the fic. If you don't have your prize by the time I post this, email me back and I'll send it again. Inu-chan tried to send them for me, so its a possibility that it might be screwed up.

Haruka: Sesshoumaru gave Kagome the headband so that his claim of protection would be easily seen instead of lifting up her shirt and exposing the mark. Remember, back then for a woman to show her stomach at all was lewd and disgraceful, plus Sesshou likes to show off. The mark itself is going to help him find her, but even that can be deactivated. You're question was perfectly written. What is your native language, if you don't mind me asking?

Mistress Fluffy: Thanks so much! Yup, this is the fable Miroku and Sesshou were talking about. I haven't read your updates yet b/c I'm sick. My brother had a summer flu and decided that misery loves company. I'm taking medicine and trying to sleep it off. I've been sick for God knows how long, and that's before I went to the doctor. Sorry about not getting to them, but I'm coming!

Del_Kaidin: No, I've never heard of it...well I have but I'm not familiar with it. What's it about, exactly?

Enchanted Miko: Yup, the one and the same, even though I didn't know she was Kirara's master too.

Silver Phoenix: When you say new looks, you mean clothes, right? I like the change too, especially in Kagome. I just didn't understand why anyone wanted to walk around and fight in an uncomfortable school uniform. Thanks for the love and I'm going to update Monday.

Tessa: If you decide to change it, then good, if not then good. I like you either way. Do you have any stories that I can recommend? I would love any recommendations you can spare.

J-lynn: Thanks for staying up so late just for me! I'm so flattered! Don't hesitate to email me anytime!

Steff: Yeah, Sesshou is a little occ, but it's necessary. He should be back to his old, emotionless self shortly. Thanks for the email address!

Banana Flavored Eskimo: You're back! Yay! I kinda thought you might take my comment about your name the wrong way. I do like it, and its very original. And everyone loves a conga-dancing hampster. I'm always open to ideas too, so if you have any hand them up!

AkxTp: I haven't the slightest idea which one. I didn't think that far ahead. Sorry. Most of my stories are finished except for 'To Bear...'

Strawberry Shortcake: Yup, as for the sword is in here somewhere.

Tenshi no Yami: Thanks for the muse and the love for the fable! A lot of people like it, and I'm really happy about it. Hold on, my muse is trying to climb up my leg.........OK, I'm back. Sorry about that. Um, chapter three is coming Monday!

Cherry-Wolf: I'm not thinking about Taskui-chan. If he really wants to tangle, tell him to step up. Oh, um, on to better things. Thanks for the love, and I agree with Inuyasha needing to stick to something he knows, even though the idea of him drunk is kinda scary. I just got Sesshou off the booze and...hey! Sesshou. Sesshou: {::hiding whisky bottle behind his back::} What? SF: Don't what me! I saw that! Give it here! Sesshou: What are you screeching about, woman? SF: You know what I'm talking about! Give me the whiskey! Sesshou: No. I don't have to do anything. SF: Oh you don't? {::to SW::} I've got to go. I have a Dog Toy to hurt.

Youkai Yume: Sorry about the long viewer responses and the short chapter. I'll try really hard to make the next one longer. Thanks for the review!

Hika-chan: Thanks! I can't answer you're question right now but never fear! It will be answered before the series is over!

ANAme-chan: Thanks! Welcome to the nuthouse and beware Miroku. He hasn't escaped, but he does like to stick his hands out of the cage.

Fujiwara no Sai: Woah. {::head spinning from all the questions::} Wait a minute while I sit down. Sesshou: Humans, so weak. SF: I'm not human, remember? Sesshou: There is enough human blood in you. You are weak. SF: For the love of...don'tkillSesshoudon'tkillSesshoudon'tkillSesshou...ok, I'm better now. Um, as for your questions, I can't answer them all. If I do, I'd ruin the story for you. Ok, for the ones I can answer: Kagome is from the future, just like in the anime. Kagome does change, but if you really think about it, she's been changing into something from the beginning. Getting over Inuyasha will make her a different person.

Mediaminer:

Chihiro Kohaku: Thanks! I'm coming with more soon!

Seeker of Death: Thanks so much! When did you move from ff to mm? Its a good idea anyway.

Mistress of Chaos: COKE!!! {::dives for Coke::} Gimmegimmegimmee! {::MoC gives SF Coke:: ::SF sits down and purrs in content::} I love Coke! I do I do! {::takes sip::} Ahhh...sheer heaven. Oh, yeah, wasn't I supposed to be doing something? Sesshou: {::snatches SF's coke::} Review, remember? SF:{::whimper::} Give it! Sesshou: {::holds it over his 6'6" frame::} Review! SF: Fine! {::to MoC::} I did forget about you, didn't I? Thanks for the praise, and for liking the fable. I'm really glad you like it. An update schedule...no prob. I'll be glad to send you one. It was Sesshou's idea for him to be in charge of Shippou while Kagome's away. Kago will kick ass until the last chapter of the series.

Faith: Not a prob! I love to update, and I wish I could do it more often. Working and babysitting keeps that from happening, and when school starts that's another thing that'll get in the way. I'll be more than thrilled to read your stories.

Duke of Spades: WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!!! I've missed you. {::pouts::} You're doing a picture for me...yay! Don't worry about Eternal Angel, you're secret's safe with me. Inu-chan: But not me. I'm telling. SF & DoS: DON'T TELL!!! PLEASE?!! Inu-chan: I'm telling, I'm telling! SF: Aww...so mean of Inu-chan! Go get him, Sesshou. Sesshou: My pleasure. {::runs after Inu-chan::} Yay! He'll stop Inu-chan for sure. Don't worry about taking too long for my picture. I'm just thrilled you drew one at all! I LOVE pictures. If you wanted to be in my fic, just say so. I'm looking for someone to date Inu-chan in 'To Bear...'. Thanks for the love!

Yukiko: Thanks for the love! I need it! I'll try to make the chapters longer, but it's kinda hard to keep it from sounding like mush. Don't worry, I'm coming with another chapter Monday!

Shawna: I won't, I promise!

Sweetaznpnai4eva: I KNEW I forgot something! Sorry! Here it comes! It'll be next week's schedule, but you'll know that by the date. As a matter of fact, I'm on ff under the same name. The same stories are there, plus two I/K stories that aren't here.

Whitelily: I'm glad she's over Inu-chan too. She's such a sap in the anime.