InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Endeavors ❯ The Deal: Day 2 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next morning Kagome found herself in pretty much the same mood. It didn't help that Inuyasha was still sulking in his favorite tree and beginning to annoy the villagers.
“Guys,” Kagome said.
The rest of the group was all sitting around Kaede's hut. Rice in a vegetable broth was being passed out in a simple, clay bowls. “I think I'm going to go home. There isn't much I can do here right now, and I'd like to spend some time with my family. Maybe even go to school a bit.”
“Of course, child,” Kaede replied. “It's natural for you to want to be with your family. Go and come back when you feel better.”
Miroku and Sango echoed the elder woman's response. The young miko packed her backpack. Shippo helped then hugged her before she shouldered it. “You know, Kagome,” he said shyly. “Candy always makes me feel better. Maybe you should get some while you're there and you'll feel better too.”
Kagome smiled--the first time since the whole mess had started. “Message decoded. I'll make sure I get some before I come back.”
She winked at the kitsune and mussed his hair. “I'll be off now. Thank you.”
She gave a shallow bow, the best she could do with her yellow monster on her back.
“Do you need an escort to the well?” Miroku asked.
Kagome shook her head. “The only danger around it right now is Inuyasha and I can certainly handle him.”
Kaede laughed. “That you can. Now, return home and set your mind. We'll keep working on a plan here. Come back to us when you're ready.”
Kagome nodded. She smiled at the group then took off for the well.
And for home
*
Returning home seemed like such a great idea, but as Sota rushed her to get ready for school, she wasn't so sure. Or, at least, she should have waited until later in the day, when she could skip at least one day of class when she wasn't in the past. “I'm hurrying, Sota, leave me alone,” she grumbled.
“I'll leave you alone when you're on your way. It's a brother's job to look after his sister.”
Kagome stopped. She was packing her school bag with her books and notebooks--a nice change from camping gear and medical supplies. “Why are you being so nice? What did you do?”
“Nothing.”
She narrowed her eyes. “What do you want then?”
“Nothing! Now, let's go!”
Kagome stood and shouldered her bookbag. “Fine, let's go.”
The two siblings went for the door, their mother calling good-bye as they went. They shuffled down the shrine steps quickly, as it was nearly impossible to go down them slowly anyway. “You know,” Sota brought up as they came to the bottom. “If you're going to be picking up candy for Shippo...”
“Yeah, yeah. Strawberry pocky?”
Sota grinned widely. “Yes, please.”
Kagome rolled her eyes but said she would get it for him. After all, she loved her brother and his sweet tooth. Unbeknownst to him, he was already helping improve her mood. They talked a little before they had to split. Sota reminded his sister once again about the candy before taking off to catch up some of his friends.
The young miko walked in solitude until about a block away from her school, when she was noticed. “Kagome,” Ayumi yelled.
The other two girls echoed after her. They ran the short distance to meet their constantly “ill” friend. Kagome sighed. She loved that, even if for only a moment, she could experience normality. But, as she listened to her friends prattle on about this and that--practically dragging her onto the school grounds and to their classroom--she questioned the draw of being normal.
“So,” Yuka spoke up. “I've been giving your brother copies of the notes and assignments. You think you're going to be okay with those? `Cause I'm sure Hojo wouldn't mind helping you out some.”
The other girls giggled. Eri winked and offered to set it all up, if Kagome thought it was necessary. Kagome smiled. It was flattering that someone actually liked her and not what she could do. But Hojo was just...Hojo: straight cut, sweet, and just not her type. Kagome let out a puff of air. She was back to wishing for normality.
“Kagome,” Ayumi began, interrupting said miko's thoughts. “Is there something wrong? You seem...down; like something is bothering you.”
“It's nothing.”
Finally reaching her desk, Kagome had only just put down her bag when she was assaulted, again. “Higurashi!” Hojo called.
He walked up to her, all smiles and kindness. “How are you feeling?”
“I'm doing well, “she replied politely.
“That's great. Has your grandfather been giving you the herbal tea?”
Kagome nodded, fairly certain that it had been consumed by her grandfather. “Thank you for being so considerate.”
Hojo blushed bright red. The bell rang then and everyone stood by their desks. The homeroom teacher entered, they greeted him, and the school day officially began.
And again Kagome wondered why she thought normality was a good idea.
**
Kagome moaned. Her hand was cramping; it seemed like forever since she had written that much. “Come on, Kagome. We're going to eat lunch up on the roof,” Eri called.
The young miko grabbed her bento and followed. “Are we even allowed up there?”
“No,” Hojo replied. “But the weather has been so nice lately that the teachers aren't stopping the students that go up there.”
Kagome nodded. She followed the group up to the gated rooftop. There were quite a few students basking in the sunlight. It took some searching to find an unoccupied area that was semi-shaded.
“So, Kagome,” Yuka began. “Why don't you spill on what's bugging you?”
“Huh? I already said I was fine.”
“Like we believe that,” Ayumi butted in. “We can tell you've been down all day.”
“Wait, don't forget Higurashi has been ill. It's probably just--”
“Quiet Hojo,” Yuka snapped. “This isn't about her being sick. I can sense it.”
Kagome rolled her eyes. It seemed her friends were watching too many TV dramas in their spare time.
“It isn't that abusive boyfriend again, is it? `Cause we told you before he's bad news.”
“It's not that.”
“Ah!” Ayumi jumped on the crumb. “But you admit there is something!”
Kagome sighed. This day was so not going how she wanted. “I'm telling you, it isn't anything. Just drop it.”
Eri, who had remained mostly silent since lunch started, stood up. She gathered her bento. “Kagome, I know you've been really sick, and I'm sorry for that, but I can't help but notice the distance between you...and the world. You're so out of touch with everything. I know you're trying but...you have to give a little. We use to be able to talk about everything.”
Not everything, Kagome mentally interrupted.
“See,” Eri continued. “You're doing it now. Hiding away in your thoughts. We care about you, but it's almost like....like you don't want us in your life anymore.”
“That's not it at all,” Kagome defended. “I just have a lot going on; a lot on my mind. I'm sorry.”
“What's going on then?” Yuka asked this time.
Kagome looked down. The hem of her skirt was beginning to unravel--thanks to washing it in rivers and streams for months. She absently fiddled with the thread. “I'm sorry. I--I just can't.”
Eri sighed. Kagome looked up at her and saw the sweet smile of her friend. It didn't quite go all the way to her eyes. “I figured as much.”
She turned and walked towards the exit. Yuka and Ayumi collected their stuff too. “Come on Hojo,” Ayumi commanded.
“But, Higurashi--”
“Give it up, she's never going to date you.”
Kagome looked over at the teen-aged boy. His face was red and eyes dark with sadness. She knew that look too well. His heart was breaking. “Sorry,” he whispered, following the other three girls off the roof.
The miko continued sitting in the shaded spot they found. A couple of the nearby groups watched her; obviously overhearing the previous conversation. “This wasn't what I needed,” Kagome mumbled to herself.
Finishing up her own lunch just in time for the bell, Kagome let the other students file off the roof before following down. Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi didn't even acknowledge her as she entered the room; Hojo looked as if he wanted to speak to her, but just couldn't. She understood.
***
Kagome sat on her bed, unpacking one bag and packing another. She had left Sota's pocky on his bed and making sure she had put Shippo's on with the rest of her stuff. “I hope youkai can't get cavities,” she thought aloud.
There was a quiet laugh from her door. Kagome looked up and saw her mother standing in the doorway. “May I come in?”
“Of course,” Kagome replied.
She went and moved some of the mess from her bed so that her mother could sit.
“Are you planning on returning tonight?”
Kagome shook her head. “No, I want to sleep in a real bed tonight. I'll return first thing in the morning.”
“That's good. I was going to cook your favorite for dinner tonight.”
“Oden?”
The elder woman nodded. Kagome's face lit up with delight. “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” she squealed.
Mrs. Higurashi laughed; hugging her daughter back as she enveloped her in a hyper hug. She eventually guided Kagome to sit next to her. “I'm glad you're happy about dinner. Now, why don't you tell me what's been bugging you?”
Kagome's smile faded.
“I heard you got into a fight with the girls today.”
Kagome groaned. “I'm going to figure out where Sota gets his information one of these days.”
“I doubt it,” Mrs. Higurashi replied. “But this came from my informant, not Sota's.”
The young miko looked dubiously at her mother.
“What? I can't keep tabs on my own daughter while she's in her own time?”
My own time?
“So,” her mother continued. “Want to share?”
And Kagome did. Or rather, she wanted to. But, how could she even begin. `I accidentally have to have Inuyasha's half-brother's baby.' Even her mother's patience and understanding had its limits and she was sure this would break it.
“Does this have to do with Inuyasha? I noticed he didn't come to this side of the well. He's usually here by now.”
“He's kind of mad at me right now.”
“Oh?”
She hated how her mom could make her feel so guilty just with a few words. She really needed to tell her. “Hey Kagome,” Sota shouted. “Hojo is waiting downstairs.”
Kagome looked at her mother. “Well, I guess I figured out who you're spy is.”
Mrs. Higurashi smiled. “He's such a polite young man.”
The young miko smiled awkwardly.
“Go talk with him,” her mother urged. “We can chat after.”
Kagome nodded, grateful to postpone breaking the news just yet. She stood up and trotted downstairs.
“Higurashi,” Hojo greeted. “I'm so sorry for--”
Kagome held up her hand; silencing him. “Don't worry about it.”
She looked behind her as her mother came down the stairs. Hojo greeted her politely. “Let's go outside,” Kagome suggested.
She walked to the door, trusting the boy to follow her. She didn't stop until she was under the Goshinboku. The tree gave her so much strength; especially knowing that Inuyasha was sitting in it, right at that moment, just 500 years in the past. She stared up at the branches, soaking it all in.
“Listen, Higurashi. I apologize for today. I shouldn't have left. They were...well...”
Hojo shifted uncomfortably, averting his eyes from the tree and, instead, focusing on the city scene that surrounded the old shrine. “I--we, all of us--we really wish you wouldn't close things up all the time. It's unhealthy and with you being ill as much as you are already--”
“I understand, and I appreciate all of you being there for me. But there are some things that I just can't share. Things that I need to overcome on my own.”
Hojo turned to look at her once more; eyes wide and innocent. “But that's just it. You don't. When you're dealing with something tough, when there is some obstacle in your way then you need as many people on your side as possible. It's then you need your friends the most.”
Kagome's eyes widened. He was right. At times like this she--they--need as many allies as possible.
“Kagome?”
“Hojo, thank you. You're so right.”
“Thanks,” he replied bashfully.
“Will you apologize to Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi for me?”
“Um, sure. But why can't you tell them yourself?”
Kagome took a few backward steps towards the house. “Can't. I'm going ba--to the bathroom. Feeling really ill. Probably the honta virus or something. I don't think I'll be back at school for awhile.”
Hojo's face went pale. “Um, feel better. I should probably...go.”
“Yeah. It's for the best. Thanks again.”
Kagome turned and ran. She knew what she had to do. It didn't mean she wasn't feeling a bit dirty about it, but Sesshomaru was a powerful ally against Naraku. Since she was already in this deal, maybe she could make the most of it.
“Kagome,” Mrs. Higurashi called. “Did Hojo already leave?”
“Yeah, and so am I.”
The elder woman came out of the kitchen, hands dirty from food preparations. “I thought you were staying for dinner.”
Kagome paused on the stairs. Thoughts of oden filtered into her head briefly, but she shook them off. “Sorry. I just figured some things out. I-I may not be back for awhile.”
Mrs. Higurashi's brows knit together in worry, but she slowly nodded. “Just...be careful. Be safe. And don't rush into anything without thinking it through.”
Kagome smiled. “I'm not Inuyasha, mom.”
The elder woman chuckled. “No, but you're my child, and I know you.”
Kagome took off down the stairs towards her mother. “I love you.”
“And I love you. Now, if you're going to leave tonight, do it before it gets dark.”
Kagome nodded and ran to get her bag. I really hope I'll be just as good of a mother as she is.
Unexpected Endeavors
Arc 1: The Deal
Chapter 3: Day 2