InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ Decisions: Good or Bad ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I didn't own Inuyasha last chapter, did you really think anything changedthis chapter?!
A.N. Okay people, I'm really sorry I ended the last chapter on that note. I hate cliffhangers, and I know y'all do to. Well, this chapter is dedicated to mauigurl808, who was the first one to send me a correct but incorrectly spelt name. Because there are two winners, the chapters will be only slightly shorter than originally planned, so they'll still be pretty long. I don't want any griping either, getting a chapter is like a reward for allof you! So shut up and read! Just joking…please don't hit me…on with the story…
 
Until Death
 
Decisions, Good or Bad
 
Kagome stared at the hanyou that invaded the room, the peaceful setting shattered as Kagome unconsciously thrust the frightened child behind her, gently patting her head to calm her quivering body before focusing her attention to the problem at hand. She noticed the tattered edges of his kimono (sorry, don't know what else to call it) and his hurried breaths. Her mind centered only on Inuyasha, she never noticed the added presence in the room.
Sesshoumaru stood at the doorway as the scene unraveled before him. Red seeped into his normally amber studded eyes and a feral growl escaped his lips. As much as he wanted to jump in and kill his idiotic half brother, he forced himself to stand still, curiosity gnawing at his senses as he watched Kagome instinctively push Rin behind her and take a deep breath, ready to take on the unfolding issue at hand.
Kagome willed her body to stand tall; Inuyasha knew nothing of her illness, and it would continue that way until he showed he even cared. Declaring his love after betraying her seemed unrealistic. She hoped the trap she could smell was only something in the air and not what it seemed. She opened her mouth to speak, her lips forming the words, the tone of her voice seemed close to tears, but her eyes were trained on the hanyou, and there was nothing soft about her gaze.
“Why are you here, Inuyasha? You know, there is a front door. Oh wait, you love scaring innocent children. Never one to disappoint, are you? So what are you after now, I've given you the past three and a half years of my life; I've given up my family. I did it all for you…” Kagome's arms were folded tightly over her chest, her eyes, now moist with unshed tears. The room was completely silent, the sun, utterly shrouded by the mountains until another day.
Inuyasha's kimono fluttered quietly in the chilled breeze that entered the room through the balcony doors. Inuyasha stood, his eyes hid under the cover of his overgrown bangs. Lifting his head ever so slightly, he smiled sadly at Kagome. “You knew you were more. I'm sorry Kagome. I know you saw me in the woods with Kikyo, but it's over for good now. Kikyo…Kikyo's gone for good. I told her I couldn't join her in hell. I…I told her I had someone I had to protect…someone I loved.” His voice, though soft, traveled the expanse of the room, his eyes never leaving Kagome's slouched form on the bed before him.
Kagome felt weakened by the feelings revealed in the deep belief of his voice. She allowed her tense muscles a chance to unwind, propping her body up on her elbows. Kagome stared openly at Inuyasha, her mouth slightly agape at the expression of raw emotion in his tone. Shivers raced up and down her spine at the implications apparent in his speech. She cleared her throat, preparing to speak, her anger quickly dissipating into nothing. “Inuyasha, what exactly are you hinting at?” she asked, choosing her words carefully, forcing her hopes back down in fear of being denied once more, yet allowing her anticipation to leap and bound to heights previously unknown. She willed her hands to stop shaking, and her breathing to even out.
Inuyasha smiled, a pointed fang peaking out the top of his lip. Silently, he held out a hand. “Kagome, I'm asking you to come back with me. Become my mate. I'm weak without you Kagome. I need you. I know I'm tough on you at times, but it's because…emotions…emotions don't come easily to guys like me. I've been alone for the bulk of my life, with no one to trust, no one to care for me, teach me what I need to know. It took a swift kick in the ass from that lecher of ours, and a little bit of thinking before I realized that throwing my life away by going with Kikyo wasn't going to fix anything. I needed to change things, and what better way than to make things right than with the person who completes me. Kagome, I'm talking about you.” By this time, the hanyou had made his way to the bed. His face inches away from Kagome's; he knelt on the floor before her. “Please…”
Kagome forced herself to look away from the amber orbs that danced before her. Did he really want her back? Did he really wish to be with her? Kagome's vision refused to focus as her head pounded harder with each question she presented. Closing her eyes, she focused on straightening out the mess that clouded her mind. Inhaling deeply, and pressing her fingers across her temples, she massaged away some of the tension.
“I know I haven't earned your trust, but the rest of the gang misses you. Shippo is reduced to tears if we even mention you. If you won't go for me, then will you please just consider taking a trip back there to visit? I promise I'll have you back here within a few days if that's what you want. It's just, Shippo's whining is driving me insane, and Sango complains constantly about how she doesn't have anyone to bathe with her and she has no female companionship, whatever the hell that is. Miroku complains that there's only one ass to stroke, even if he gets slapped, he says that at least with you there he had twice the opportunities. So, you see, everyone misses you.” Inuyasha added as Kagome continued to concentrate on easing the thrumming of her head
“So, you're saying that if I want to come back here, you'll bring me back without another complaint?” Kagome asked. I can never love Inuyasha like before, I have to see the others and tell them what's going on with me. I left so suddenly, and I may never get this kind of opportunity again. Inuyasha nodded in reluctant agreement with Kagome's terms.
This said and done, she turned her attention to the doorway where the stoic lord resided. “Umm, Sesshoumaru-sama, can I talk to you in another room, alone, for just a minute?” Kagome voiced. Noticing the slight nod in response, she extracted herself from the bed, her legs feeling slightly weak.
Ushering the frightened Rin to her room, Sesshoumaru led the miko to another room across the hall, quietly closing the door behind them with an audible click. “What is it you wish to discuss with this Sesshoumaru?” he asked as they stood near the center of the room. There was but a single window in the room, the glass reflecting nothing but the pitch black darkness of the outer sky, the iridescence of several white taper candles lighting the room with their flickering light. Kagome smiled sadly, “Sesshoumaru, as you already know, some of what Inuyasha says is undoubtedly a lie. Kikyo is still alive, in the sense that my soul has not yet returned to me from her body, and I know Inuyasha's heart still beats for her. Part of what he says, though, is true. My friends need me. I have to tell them what is going on. They do not deserve for me to walk out on them like that, so I am left with little choice but to follow Inuyasha back to the others. I know this is a trap, and I want you to know that even if I don't return, you have my thanks and my loyalty for all you have done for me.”
Kagome tilted her head down; suddenly very intrigued by the lush carpeting of the floor they stood on. Her long, raven hair cascaded down her shoulders like a silken waterfall, shrouding her face within their midst. Sesshoumaru took his clawed finger and tipped her head back to face him. “I should be thanking you miko. You have restored my ward, and for that you have the same from me. May you make it back safely as Rin has taken a liking to you, and I would hate to see her heart broken.” Kagome's smile brightened, after giving a curt nod, the two wordlessly headed out the door, to join Inuyasha once more.
*************************************************
Later that night, Kagome sat before her wardrobe mirror, absently brushing out her still damp locks, having taken a dip in the hot springs not long before. She ran the comb; it's cold, smooth texture a testimony to how studious one had been in rubbing the usually rough surface into submission, through her locks, the many knots relenting under her careful strokes.
What brought Inuyasha here? Is this is way of getting me to Kikyo so that she can have my soul? She thought to herself as she placed the comb on the desk and focused on the hem of her yukata, worrying its bordering lace between her index finger and thumb. Anyone who saw her face knew that the young woman was deep into thought.
 
FLASHBACK
Kikyo broke the kiss, breathing heavily, she ran her cold hand across the expanse of the hanyou's cheek. “Leave my reincarnation, Inuyasha. I'll join your party. Together, you and I can find the few remaining shards. We can wish for my life back.” She said, her voice silky and persuasive as she ran her long, slender fingers through the soft silver hair of the half demon.
Kagome could feel her breath lodged in her throat as she awaited the answer that would bring all of the questions she knew she was too weak and naïve to voice on her own. Who would he choose?
Inuyasha stared at the miko, contemplating which was better, Kagome or Kikyo, a living, breathing, Kikyo. He smiled at Kikyo, his answer unvoiced, but understood nevertheless.
Kagome thought that her heart had stopped as Inuyasha led a smiling Kikyo away. As the couple disappeared into the deeper depths of the forest, Kikyo turned to where Kagome stood, a disfiguring smirk on her face…
 
END FLASHBACK
 
Kagome sighed painfully, envisioning Inuyasha walking away with Kikyo again. It was a sight that sent her heart into agonizing tremors…every…time…she saw it. I may not love him anymore, or even like him for that matter, so why am I giving up my soul for his clay lover? Is it…could it be the fact that I feel dying in that way might bring me more peace? Am I truly afraid to die alone…forgotten…lost? What is it that frightens me so much? She thought to herself as she pulled the covers up to her chin and closed here eyes, listening to the wind beat on the balcony doors, and the flapping of wings that could be heard outside the doors as well.
Sighing contently, Kagome rolled on her side, opening her eyes half-way in the darkened surroundings of her room. Unable to help herself, Kagome frowned. She had enjoyed her stay at Sesshoumaru's castle; she would miss the little girl, Rin, and even Sesshoumaru. Her heart panged slightly at the loss of the Taiyoukai (I hope I spelt that right!) unexpectedly. He had been a gracious host, going so far as to take care of her…her of all people…a “filthy ningen.” But was that truly all she had to thank him for? Kagome snuggled closer into the pillows, pulling the heavy blanket half way up her head. Silencing the confusing and complicated thoughts that were swimming in her head, she released a shaky breath and succumbed to the rehabilitating slumber that reigned persistently over her ragged mind.
**************************************************
Sesshoumaru listened, his sensitive years wiggling with the strain, as Kagome settled in for the night, her aura radiating confusion more than anything else. As soon as her thoughts toned down and sleep overtook her, he reflected on his own thoughts for the day.
He couldn't totally squash the anger that enveloped him as he thought back to Inuyasha's fastidious appearance. It had taken him only a second to discern the unusual stench of the half-breed among that of the usual smells that ensconced his castle. How he had been able to get into the castle in the first place was beyond the Lord. His Rin had been at stake, and Kagome did not need that kind of stress in her condition. Could the hanyou not see she was sick?
Sesshoumaru shifted on the bed, the agitation that coursed through him at that moment wiping out any chance of sleeping anytime soon. His feelings for the woman were mixed and very complex. To say he loved her might be pushing it, but to say she meant nothing to him would be doing likewise. He knew her leaving distressed not only him, but also his beast, which seemed to take a liking to the young lady, not something it did at any time for anyone. In fact, if I recall, a woman has never provoked my beast like Kagome does. Sesshoumaru shifted under the sheets, moving fluidly from one area of the bed to another. Damn right, his beast replied, now get some sleep. You'll needit.
Oh, and why is that exactly? Sesshoumaru replied as he closed his eyes and prepared for sleep. Because Inuyasha needs someone to make sure he treats Kagome with the utmost respect…or else.
Sesshoumaru couldn't help but grin from that, and so, he was lulled to sleep by the fairy tale-like hum of the silent castle. One inhabitant though, was far from slumber. Tucked in bed, an anxious hanyou fidgeted under the covers in a room on the other side of the castle, his eyes wise open, their amber orbs standing out amongst the darkness of the room. A laugh, dissimilar from those of his earlier days, dropped from his lips. “Wait for me Kikyo. It won't be long now…”
 
Author's Note: Okay, this is seven pages long, and for me, THAT IS REALLY LONG!!! I'm sorry it took so long to update, but I have so much going on right now… I hope you liked this chapter, especially you mauigurl808!!! I received my most reviews in one chapter for the last chapter!!! Yay! I have 140 overall, which isn't bad, I guess. Well, as always, I'm open to any new ideas as well as corrective criticism, and believe me, I could use some new ideas right now!! I mean, I've got something going, but that doesn't mean I won't change my mind if someone throws me something better!I'll take flames if it really makes you feel better… but please have them justified. I know I made Inuyasha a little too…what's the word… sappy, but he won't be like that in all of the chapters, I promise!Well, please make sure you review before leaving this page! Thanx!!