InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ The White Knight ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or any of the crew…just the plot and a handful of jelly beans…
 
Until Death
 
Title
Kagome watched as Inuyasha slowly made his way towards her, the length of rope hanging limply from his fingers. “I'm sorry, Kagome.” Inuyasha's husky voice broke the reverent silence, causing the dominant cackling of the building fire to fade into the background. Kagome didn't even bother to stand up as Inuyasha uncoiled the course rope in his hands. Neither did she bother to fight her former crush as he harshly brought her hands to rest behind her back, quietly knotting the rope around her petite wrists, nor did she comment as it bit into her tender flesh. She watched with a detached air as he did the same to her ankles causing the slightest movements to provoke the thick, wiry cord to burn her skin, but she remained silent. What was the point? The one who was to save her was the same party wishing her ill; she saw no point. Besides, this was her way out with a bang; this was her compensation for being unable to fulfill a promise she made. She did this out of her own volition; she did it for the one she thought she loved.
Thoughts…thoughts were strong things. If you tried hard enough, you could force yourself to believe the strangest of thoughts. Thoughts like her undying love for Inuyasha, or, rather, is undying love for her. The situation she now found herself to be in proved what mattered most to Inuyasha, and it sure the hell wasn't her. Inuyasha roughly dragged her by her shirt, over to a small copse of trees, allowing her to sit back against the scratchy bark of the nearest one. Now wasn't he thoughtful! Kagome gave a sad lopsided grin; your mind could even trick you into believing someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about you, actually cares. A quick flash of Sesshoumaru sparked before her hazy eyes. She could see his flowing silver tresses that shone with unbound intensity as they showered over the length of his back, ending with a subtle curl at the tips, somewhere near his knees. She noticed how his white dressings accented nicely with his hair and markings. Kagome blinked. What makes me think of him at a time like this? Am I really that desperate for someone to love that I will turn to the very face of a man who I can never, in my shortened life, have the hope that he will, in return, love me back?
A deft shake of her heavy head brought her back to reality. She watched in detached silence as the beginnings of a camp formed before her, thanks to the work of Inuyasha. A quick glance at the dead miko assured Kagome she had yet to leave the boiling cauldron as she bent over the pot, adding an unknown plant to the mix, resulting in the emission of a thick, black smoke.
Resting her head on the trunk of the tree, Kagome gave a deep content sigh; at least she could say she had a grasp on her death. It comforted her knowing she had chosen her way to die. Somehow, dying in the hands of a disease seemed so lonely and depressing; at least this way she would be remembered by some. For how could Inuyasha forget someone ho restored Kikyo to her former self, someone who so willingly gave their life to make him happy? So, thus was her legacy. Sure, she would never again get to see the smiling face of Shippo, or pick flowers with the ever energetic Rin, but she would die for a purpose. She would make what use she could with the very last of her breath, and she would do so willingly.
Kagome was so thoroughly immersed in her wayward thoughts that she failed to notice Kikyo heading her way, a steaming cup of murky liquid clutched protectively in her hands. Stooping down to the younger woman's level due to her inability to move because of her restraints, Kikyo gently placed the cup on the ground next to them, handling it like one would a newborn child. Kagome looked into the elder priestess' eyes only to be greeted by the brazen black eyes of the dead. Kagome shivered with the intense cold that the orbs shot her way. Pale as ever, the dead miko gave a sly grin. “You thought he loved you, didn't you? Hn, you are nothing more than a copy, a shell for a soul that rightly belongs to me. You had no chance with Inuyasha, and with your forfeit to this soul, you, in turn, forfeit your right to heaven. For you see, giving up as you have, you've started a chain reaction. So readily giving one's soul to another, even for the reason of losing the one you loved to someone more skilled and more beautiful such as I, is considered suicide.” She picked up the cup which was still bubbling and issuing a black, miasmic cloud. Kikyo's grin widened infinitesimally as she blew on the caustic beverage in her grasp. “Too bad it's too late. You see, you won't die right away; this is a very painful process that can take up to eight days to complete. Not to worry though, once the potion is consumed, there is no way to reverse the effects. So, little Kagome, we can do this the easy way and you can open up, or we can do this the hard way, and sweet, lovable, obedient Inuyasha can hold you down while I pour each and every drop of this concoction down your throat. It's your call.
Kagome gave Inuyasha a glance, only to find he was standing to the right of them, ears fastened to his head, which was bowed, his chin touching his chest. He was too ashamed of his decision to even look at Kagome, but he didn't interfere, so Kagome took this as a sign. Already having a hard time keeping her eyes opened due to the sudden burden of tiredness that had swept over her, Kagome turned her half-lidded eyes to Kikyo. “Do what you will.” Was all she offered as she parted her lips to accept the death draught that was being offered by death itself. She felt the heat of the metal on her lips as the cup was held to her mouth. Reflexively, she swallowed a mouthful of the thick, black liquid and forced it down her throat. She felt it slide begrudgingly down into her stomach, the acerbic liquid burning its way into her gut. Before she could force any more of the drink into her mouth, the cup was sent flying out of Kikyo's hands and into the air, breaking into many, tiny pieces as it shattered on the trunk of the tree, the thick muddled substance sliding in clumps to the base of the tree, leaving thick scorch marks in its wake.
It took every ounce of strength Kagome had left to turn her head and glance at her supposed savior. Who stood there surprised her, and more than slightly confused her. There, in all his while blazing glory was no other than Sesshoumaru. His silky smooth voice bit the air, sounding its disdain. “What do you suppose you are doing woman?” Kikyo backed away from the demon lord, frightened more than she would have liked to have admitted. “I…I…” Sesshoumaru took is gaze from Kagome to turn to Kikyo, anger flashing in his normally inexpressive eyes. “I wasn't talking to you, dead priestess, though it is a wonder my brother would take you after you whored yourself out to that half demon, Naraku.”
Inuyasha, who had yet to move from his spot, jumped to his feet at this remark. “What…what do you mean by that?” the innocence of this knowledge shinning in his honey hued eyes. Sesshoumaru's eyes only flickered towards his half brother before resettling on Kagome. “You heard me; I will not repeat myself. It seems there is much you don't know, little brother, for I am certain you are unaware that this miko has taken ill and is close to death.”
Inuyasha's eyes widened to saucers at the dispense of such information. Kagome was going to die…since when? “This is not a laughing matter.” Inuyasha growled, sure Sesshoumaru had something up his sleeve to deliver such untrue news.
“On the contrary little brother, she grows closer to death as we speak. She has been ill for some time now. I'm surprised even such a weak, hanyou nose as your own can't pick up that awful stench that hangs in the air around her.” Sesshoumaru had his back turned to Inuyasha, uncaring of the reaction his brother was now having to such news. Instead, he chose to pay sole attention to Kagome, whose lithe form was now starting to show effects of the medicine Kikyo had administered. Though only a small dose, it was enough to affect her weakened body with wracking convulsions and a raging fever that promised to be only the beginning of her body's change. Stooping down, he broke through the rope with a slice of a claw, growling possessively over the raw, red marks the scratching ropes left on her delicate skin. Carefully, he lifted her shaking form into his arms.
As he began to walk away, the hand of his brother clutched his shoulder. “I have no the time for a fight, little brother.” Sesshoumaru testified. Inuyasha's grip tightened. “I'll take care of her.” He growled, tightening his grip once more on his brother's muscled shoulder. “Oh yes, because you took such good care of her before right?” Sesshoumaru snorted in response. Inuyasha's hand retraced in shock; Sesshoumaru was right, he had betrayed Kagome; he didn't deserve her. Sesshoumaru had reached the trees before Inuyasha spoke again. “Where are you taking her?”
Sesshoumaru hesitated only momentarily before answering over his shoulder, “To the well.”
Author's Note: Yay! This is out sooner than I thought it would be. I have to say, the depth of the reviews I received from the last chapter spurred my interest in completing this chapter! I did want to thank S'fateWFfrom a-s-s.com for their music contribution! I found and downloaded the song “In the Dark” by DJ Tiesto, which, by the way, I had never heard before now, and it kind of fits the mood of the story. In fact, it changed the ending of my story, and in a way, lengthened it…you are all going to hate me for a while… Anyways, rate and review! Thanx!