InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Vegatable Soup ❯ Binding ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Binding
 
 
Dark night, pitch black in the winter's eve. The stars shining and twinkling in the shady sky as the only light to share was that of the fire she had built to sustain her until the morning's sunlight when she could leave and return home.
 
Home, back to her village people and her responsibilities to protect said people.
 
She frowned.
 
It was a lonely task, but one she kept with dignity knowing no one else would willingly take over for her.
 
“Pfft.” She coughed out, rubbing her legs which were close to her breast to keep herself warm from the harsh winds of winter.
 
Her job wasn't all glimmer and glam like the title made it out to be. Being a high priestess of an overly large village was a harsh and painful job. Signing to poverty was one thing, but surviving only on gifts from the people gave was a hard life, especially when the city did so little economically.
 
Taking care of each person, purify the village and keep vicious youkai out that would harm her family, or rather, the villagers that lived there in peace.
 
It seemed easy, just the regular duties to keep as to not create anger in the people whom she protected. However, many `guidelines' came with the title, priestess.
 
Kicking a log into the dieing fire, she sighed. Putting her face deeper into her legs, she hid the fact that her nose was running and numb at this point in her journey.
 
One of the most popular was the fact that she had sworn her virgin soul to kami, not allowing her to give herself to any man who presented himself to her. Thinking back, it hadn't bothered her when she was younger, naïve and not used to the fact that most humans tended to marry and live together in partnership and sometimes even in love.
 
Shaking her head and pulling her shawl on tighter, she tucked herself closer to a tree trunk, trying to gather as much warmth as humanly possible. It wasn't exactly working as she began to feel her legs and arms freeze up and numb. Her eyes slowly drifting close, she fought with all her might to not fall asleep, for once she did, she was a goner.
 
“Kami…help…” She breathed as her eyes closed. Her pink cheeks lost their color as her heart beat slowed.
 
Utter silence followed as the priestess fell asleep; the fire dying down to a low light.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
A sweet sound caught her attention, bringing her up and through the few levels of unconsciousness. She heard a soft song drifting to her ears. It was a deep voice, only monotone, but full of emotion as she slowly opened her eyes.
 
“You're awake.” The singing had stopped.
 
Looking up, she realized she wasn't on the ground, but rather in someone's arms, a man to be exact.
 
She let out a scream of shock, and the man shot his hands up to his ears, effectively dropped the priestess on her bottom to the ground.
 
“Oh my…” She hissed, rubbing her butt from the impact. Looking about, her eyes widened, she wasn't in the forest anymore, but in a large cave, a fire in the middle gave off quite a bit of heat.
 
“What was the screaming for?” The man, whom she had forgotten was there for a moment, yelled, “I save you and this is how you repay me?”
 
She looked up, her eyes still holding their golf ball size as she stared at her so-called savior. His long black hair was so sleek and well polished, he could have faked as a prince if it wasn't for the fact that his clothes were in tatters and torn all over. His deep golden eyes pierced her heart as he stared at her with irritation written all over.
 
“Who are you?” She asked, almost afraid of his answer, she was too weak to protect herself and she heard of many stories about woman who were kidnapped and used only for pleasure and rape.
 
The man stared at her for a moment then stalked off, not saying another word. Standing up, she rushed after him, barely able to catch up with him and his speed walk.
 
Reaching to grab his shoulder, the man swirled around and grabbed her hand before she could touch him, “What were you doing outside in this weather alone, in the middle of the night?” He demanded in a fatherly tone.
 
She flinched at his harsh voice and frowned, “I was going home.” She stated.
 
He stared at her, his eyes digging holes into her soul, “Who are you?”
 
She felt like slapping him, how dare he not answer her question first, “I can't tell you.”
 
She was surprised to see him smirk; his dazzling smile only sent chills down her spine. She heard him chuckle, obviously he knew what it did to her, “I want you to answer my question first.”
 
“What was it?” He demanded, in a more joking matter.
 
“I asked you for a name, I certainly do not want to leave and not say a proper thank you without knowing my hero's name.” She stated; her hand still in his.
 
“I'm no hero.”
 
“You just said it, and even if you did not, I believe taking me into a safe, warm place instead of leaving me out in the cold to freeze to death still deserves some sort of gratification.”
 
He sighed in defeat, she thought he would give in but instead he pulled her closer. Her breath hitched, “You're hungry.” In more of a statement then a question.
 
She paused then sighed, “That would be nice.”
 
He rushed out of the cave, not saying another word to the priestess as he left to get food.
 
With another long sigh, she sat herself down on the side of the wall. Her hands in her lap, however something caught her eye. Looking down into her lap, she noticed her hand was bleeding, the very hand that the man had grabbed. Pulling it closer, she realized she had been clawed at, large claw marks gently graced her skin, creating thin lines from her wrist to her fingers.
 
Thinking back, she never realized she injured herself. Not even back at camp, before her quick nap.
 
Then she gasped, it was the same hand the man had held for a time. What did he do to her? How could a man—
 
“Youkai.” She mumbled to herself, still staring at her hand. The man was no ordinary man, but a youkai in a disguise.
 
A sudden fear crept into her heart; he would most definitely kill her. What was he waiting for, a written invitation?
 
But then again, he was out in the cold winter season getting her food.
 
However, he might just be out there plotting a diabolical scheme to lead her outside and kill her on the spot.
 
Just then, something dropped in front of her and with a little squeak of fear, she jumped up.
 
“Scared?” She looked up and noticed the man was back and with a nicely skinned rabbit to spare and a grin atop his face, “It's not much, but if you heat if up, it should fill you up.”
 
She stared at the dead rabbit at her feet then turned to watch the man, or rather youkai, walk away with his meal.
 
“Thank you.” She whispered.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sitting across the fire from the mysterious youkai, she gobbled down the freshly cooked meat, “You still haven't told me your name.”
 
He paused, “What is it and getting my damned name?”
 
She sighed, “I'd actually like to use it once in awhile, if you don't mind.”
 
“Well, I mind, so leave it at that.”
 
Silence once more filled the room. She thought of giving up, but shook her head at the thought. Something was keeping the youkai from telling her and she wanted to find out.
 
“Why put up so many defenses up?” She asked.
 
“I should ask you the same question, priestess.”
 
“I protect my identity from you to protect my people from youkai like yourself.” She argued. His eyes widened and stared back at her.
 
“How did you figure me out?” He asked coolly, though it did not compare to his stunned expression.
 
“You have claws…you…scratched me when you were holding my hand earlier.” He seemed to accept that answer, but then immediately worry clouded his vision.
 
“I didn't…hurt you…did I?” He asked, almost in a whisper she barely heard.
 
Her heart warmed at the fact that he was worried, almost wanting to go over and hug him, “I'm fine.”
 
He sighed in relief.
 
She paused for a moment then smiled, “Midoriko.” She whispered.
 
“What?”
 
“My name.” She smiled.
 
He stared at her, almost like he was trying to look for any signs of false thoughts, but ended up shaking his head and looking away.
 
“Usually when I give my name then you would give me yours in return for my trust.”
 
“You would give me your trust?” he asked doubtfully.
 
“I already told you my name, wouldn't that prove me enough.” The girl, Midoriko, stated confidently.
 
He sighed once again, knowing she was right. He stared at the ground for many moments, wondering if he should take the chance and tell her his name, his identity as she called it. He would never be able to take it back and if she betrayed their little `deal' he would be alo--…well, he didn't want to think about the bad outcomes.
 
“Teijo.” He coughed out before he could stop himself. Looking up, he noticed Midoriko smiling and he slowly found his mouth twitching into an awkward smile.
 
“Well, Teijo, I am going to bed.” Midoriko stood abruptly.
 
“Who said you were staying here.” He grumbled; though he didn't mean a word he spoke.
 
“I believe the snow and wind have demanded that I stay where it is safe,” She smiled, “And apparently that is with you.”
 
Teijo felt himself blush, but adamantly he brushed it aside, “Only tonight, tomorrow I will bring you back home.”
 
Midoriko looked up from her place on the floor, “Tomorrow morning.” She repeated, lying her head back down on the hard ground.
 
Teijo stared at the girl as she moved about to find a comfortable position to sleep in, on top of the hard ground. He closed his eyes, but couldn't fall asleep due to the infernal racket she was making, “Here.”
 
He tossed his coat over to her, “Use it as a pillow or something, just keep quiet would ya?”
 
Midoriko smiled and put the material below her head, she fell asleep immediately at the scent of Teijo on the cloth with a smile on her face.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Stretching the sleep out of her, Midoriko awoke to a bright morning, more bright due to the sudden snow fall from the night before. She was sure glad Teijo had dragged her out from the snow or she would surely not be there staring at the tiny snow flakes falling from the clouds above.
 
She smiled, remembering waking up in Teijo's arms. Strangely enough, he had immediately resorted to denial and ran off. She hadn't seen him since. Had he left her stranded?
 
With a sigh, she shook her head and believed he would come back, he had promised in his own way, that he would take her home.
 
Returning to the heated cave, she warmed her hands with the newly built fire she had constructed soon after Teijo's disappearance.
 
“Let's go.” Midoriko jumped at the sudden voice, looking up, she smiled.
 
“Now?” She asked, gathering her jacket and his, “Are you cold, you left your coat behind.”
 
“Youkai don't get cold fast.” He brushed off her worry, “Come, we have to leave to make good time.”
 
Midoriko walked up to him, and Teijo began leading the way, followed closely by Midoriko. Silence followed shortly after, she slowly realized that they didn't share much words, but she had never know more about a person then any other before him. Something about him was so alluring it was almost intoxicating her.
 
Smelling the scent he wafted to her, she sighed happily and kept her footing as to not trip clumsily and slow the trip back home.
 
Home. After one night with the youkai, she found herself not looking forward to returning. Knowing she would have to continue with her dutiful task of priestess'. However, what depressed her the most was the fact that that was where she and Teijo would part ways, without so much as a good bye.
 
For some reason that pained her the most, even more then returning home and beginning her tasks and assignments.
 
“Stay close.” He commanded suddenly. Midoriko frowned when she too felt something strange in the area. Now, she was no weak human, being one of super spiritual powers, she was capable of much more then most priestess' from her family line of religious members.
 
“Youkai?” She whispered to Teijo, who just grunted in response and grabbed her hand with a tight hand.
 
“Come out.” He yelled, but controlled his voice with a demeanor she had not witnessed before.
 
Suddenly, a large youkai came stomping over the trees, a large sword in his hands. Midoriko shifted her weight and squeezed Teijo's hand.
 
Squeezing back in reassurance, he yelled, “Let us pass.”
 
His only answer was a low rumble and a swing of his sword. Teijo grabbed Midoriko and jumped out of view of the youkai and into the trees, “I want you to stay here.”
 
“No, I want to help, I've killed youkai before.” Midoriko growled.
 
He sighed, “I'll be in and out with this youkai, please, it would be better if you stayed here.”
 
“No, if I can help, I will, I'm not some weak human you can go around defending all day long, I can fight.” Midoriko yelled.
 
Teijo looked up and noticed the youkai had spotted them, sighing he looked back to the girl who continued to rant, “Please…stay here.” He whispered, pulling her into a tight hug then as he let go, left a kiss on top of her lips, “Please.”
 
Leaping off, Midoriko was too stunned to notice she had willingly listened to the youkai. Raising her hand up to her mouth as to reflect on the small but delicate kiss, she blushed. No one had ever kissed her before, and especially no youkai.
 
Shaking herself from her daze, she turned to witness the large youkai fall. Teijo was lying on the ground, she froze.
 
Running out into the clearing, she kneeled in front of Teijo, he was unconscious but his breathing was heavy. Pulling her jacket off, she put it under his head for cushion then went off to find some herbs to clean his wounds and bind them to stop the bleeding.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
A sweet smell wafted through the air, almost sugary to the bitter smell of his blood.
 
His legs were numb from the cold, but his arms and chest were rather warm. Opening his eyes he noticed someone was lying on him, to be more specific, Midoriko was lying across his chest, utterly exhausted.
 
Looking down his arms and legs, he noticed all his wounds were bandaged and cleaned. Memories from the previous battle rushed through his head and he smelt for any injuries on the girl above him.
 
Nothing. Good. However, what was she doing on him? What time was is it? How long was he out for?
 
Giving the girl a nudge, he sat up, holding the girl in his lap as he watched her sleep. Midoriko had saved him, helped his injuries and stayed with him instead of running home and leaving him to die.
 
She flinched and looked up at him, “You're awake.” She whispered, sitting up and stretching.
 
He stared at her back as she stretched her arms, “Why'd you help me?”
 
She paused and stared at him, “Because you helped me and brought me into the cave, you helped me then so I thought it would only be right if I helped you.” She smiled, “Are you alright to travel now?”
 
Teijo continued to stare at her; confusing emotions were circling his head, “Midoriko.”
 
She smiled again, “Yes?”
 
Suddenly he pulled her close, close to him, touching their lips together in a harmonizing motion. Midoriko gasped at the sudden movement and only melted into the kiss, her second for the day.
 
Pulling her in for more, he pushed her to the ground, ignoring the stinging pain in his stomach from the unwelcome movement. Lying on top of her, his lips explored hers in a dominated kiss.
 
Teijo smirked as he pulled away, staring down at her with need in his eyes. Midoriko gasped at the glowing emotion in his golden orbs, the need and want the came and swirled through with red glimmer.
 
“Please.” He whispered. Midoriko's heart fluttered at the pleading tone that he whimpered. The meaning of his words was all too much for her as tears stung her eyes, “Midoriko…did I hurt you?”
 
She smiled, “No it's…I don't understand.”
 
He smiled in relief, “I…I need you.”
 
Midoriko gasped, “Why so soon?” Her question was innocent but only stung at his heart. He sat up, pulling her up with him.
 
“Let's go.” He mumbled, hissing with pain as he stood.
 
“You're too weak, let me he--” Midoriko was cut off as the youkai trudged off, not even looking back to see if she would follow. She frowned, forcing the tears to halt as she jogged up to Teijo. Her heart broken.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Four days.
 
Four long days since she had arrived in the village. Midoriko was thankful for all the warm celebrations of her return. Her normal duties already begun to pile on as she dragged herself through each day.
 
Staring at the fire, only bringing back bad memories of another fire, far in a cave with a certain pair of golden eyes staring at her.
 
It was no use. She missed him. Not even caring that her tasks for the day were going undone, Midoriko lie in her futon, wondering where Teijo had left to; probably on with his life, forgetting about her.
 
A tear trailed down her cheek at the thought. Her heart was aching, and with that came the sad reminder that she had given her heart to the youkai. The strong, handsome youkai who had saved her in more ways then one.
 
“Priestess, another youkai attack, please, come quickly.” Midoriko heard a village man speak outside her hut.
 
Sitting up and rubbing her tears away, she ran out the hut door, coming face to face with a large bear youkai terrorizing the town.
 
Not missing a step, the priestess grabbed her bow and arrows and rushed to the outside of the village and began shooting at the bear. Her purifying arrows whistled through the air, taking off body parts but never getting the attention of the bear as he destroyed each and every hut.
 
Her eyes stung with useless tears as her arrows only irritated the youkai. Finally hitting his head, the bear yelled in a bloodcurdling cry and turned to her, ready to kill. With a gasp, Midoriko tugged at another arrow only to have it swiped away by the large paw.
 
“Priestess!” he heard a young child cry as the bear youkai started for her. Midoriko wasted no time as she ran in the opposite direction of the village as to make sure no one else got hurt from her deadly mistake.
 
Her breaths grew short and loud as she ran into the forest. Her mind set on one thing, to get the youkai as far away from the village as possible, whether she lived or not it would be done.
 
Tears pooled at her brown orbs, she felt like crying at the thought of how easy it felt to kill herself. Once she would've died fighting, as of now, she would willingly give herself up.
 
She stopped, her breath stung in her lungs. Midoriko turned back around watching the bear youkai catch up to her with his weakened legs and paws. Closing her eyes she awaited the dreaded end.
 
Nothing.
 
Midoriko let out a gasp when a pair of strong arms grabbed her, pulling her up and out of harms way.
 
Opening her eyes, she gasped once more when she witnessed the bear youkai attack, but only at the tree which she stood before.
 
“What the hell is wrong with you?” She heard someone yell.
 
Looking up, her heart soared, “Teijo.” She let out a little laugh with his name.
 
The youkai full of frustration at the girl for almost getting herself killed, suddenly turned into a smiling fool, “What were you planning on doing?”
 
She shook her head, savoring the feel of his arms around her, “I…I can't believe you came back.”
 
Teijo stared at the priestess in his arms, “If I didn't you would've died.
 
The bear youkai, completely forgotten, stalked up behind the couple, slamming his paw down. Teijo grabbed Midoriko and threw her into the air, successfully getting her safe.
 
Shooting up, he slashed at the bear and blinded the beast as he landed softly on the ground.
 
Midoriko watched in wonder as Teijo walk back to her, his claws stained in the youkai's blood.
 
The two stared at each other, standing only feet away as their loss of words. Brown met golden as Teijo slowly walked up to her, pausing as to make sure she wouldn't run, as if she were a porcelain doll ready to fall of a shelf and shatter into millions of pieces.
 
“Midor--” As soon as he began to say he name, she ran into his arms, forgetting about the blood on him.
 
“Oh Teijo,” She sighed happily as if she were in a dream.
 
Teijo stared down at the woman in his arms before he too, finally wrapped his arms around her in an effort to cam her, “What happened?”
 
Midoriko pulled away just enough as to look into his golden eyes, “Another youkai attacked, my plan was to lead it out of the village.”
 
“And die?” He growled, “I don't get you, you would rather die for the village people hen live?”
 
“Yes, I would've easily given myself up.” Tears stung her eyes once more.
 
Teijo stared down at her, skewing her soul. It only sent shivers down Midoriko's spine when eh finally pulled her back into a hug, only to run off, bringing her back to her home.
 
“Please…stay?” She whispered as they both stood in front of her lonely hut.
 
“Why?” He stated, his voice never showing the emotion he felt, “Why do you want me here? I'm youkai, the very thing you kill. How can I trust you?”
 
Midoriko turned around, showing her back to the youkai, “I missed you all these days, I wondered if you forgot about me…”
 
Then it came to her, her eyes wide. “I…I don't know why but…I love you. I can't control it, I can't stop it, and it hurts each time you leave.”
 
Teijo's stared at the girl, her eyes out of focus as his thoughts waged out. How could she love him? He was only a youkai, she was a human, it would be a horror to the world if they were together. However, he was still thinking of them being together, was he to in love with her? A human priestess?
 
“I…I--”
 
“Just go, if you don't want to stay.” Midoriko cut him off, walking into her hut.
 
Teijo paused, before running in there, “Listen to me woman, I--”
 
Midoriko pulled him into a hug, tight and possessive, “I love you…”
 
Teijo gasped when she kissed him, but soon felt himself taking control of the kiss as the two shared their feelings.
 
Pulling away, Teijo smiled. Finally smiling for once, “I…I love you…Midoriko.”
 
Days and nights were spent in each other's arms, together and happy. Ignoring the pained thoughts and comments of other people, the two lived their lives in happy matrimony.
 
Soon another battle waged. One that would be the end of priestess Midoriko. However, Teijo made a wish. Now, it wasn't any old wish you make to yourself quietly, but he had made one, and just as he had, a special and magical thing happened.
 
It came true.
 
Do you know how I know that? Why, his special wish was, to be there to protect his love, Midoriko, in whichever form she may choose to be in.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
It was a cold night, not because of the weather, but because of the grand and `evil' event taking place.
 
Tonight, some say a `monster' was born. Others, very little though, say it was just another birth, nothing special or magical taking place.
 
A woman sat in a small forest, away from the world holding her precious baby boy. Her only present left from her beloved husband and mate and lover.
 
“My little…Inuyasha.”
 
 
 
 
Oh my god, that was a hard one to write. However, I know some people won't get it right away but…Inuyasha is Teijo's reincarnation, the youkai who `supposedly' fell in love with Midoriko. Teijo's wish stated that he would be there to protect Midoriko in the future, as in her own reincarnation, which I made it out to be Kagome. Get it? Inuyasha protects Kagome unconsciously.
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the Inuyasha characters, anime or manga. Rumiko Takahashi does and I'm glad she had the imagination to create such amazing characters to play with.