InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 5 - The Aid of a Priestess ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I do this for free. I'm not affiliated with Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha, and only write free fanfiction for my love of twisting her character's to my dark, demented will. May the smut live on.

This whole story, especially the beginning chapters, will be wrapped around warped acts of sex, including N/C Yaoi. I will not be warning for lemons, because there will be so many places to mark that it would only serve to disrupt the story.

I do not condone the reading of this fic by anyone 17 years old or younger.

 

Chapter 5 - The Aid of a Priestess

A/N: To answer a question by a reader....

amy from AFF.net wrote: "please tell me that this fic has a happy ending. I almost cried with what sess and chisumi has gone through already...update again soon!"

Dear amy: I always end my stories with a happy ending. That is one thing that you can count on in every one of my stories. I always have a happy ending. I refuse to change that, because when I read a story I like to leave it with a warm feeling, and I want people to leave my stories with that same sense of warmth. So don't worry, no matter how bad things get, there will be a smile at the end.

About This Story: I've grown a little concerned about the amount of people begging for me not to do Sesshomaru too badly in this fic, but I've got to tell ya, I've already planned this story out to the very last, and things are going to get much worse for our characters before they get better. Especially for Sesshomaru. I'm taking this one a step further than I've ever taken one of my fics. It may not please some of you, and I understand, but try to stick with me, even if you have to skip some of the more sexually traumatic parts. The real story between Kagome and Sesshomaru will come after Sesshomaru leaves the dungeon. This is going to be a long story if everything goes as planned. These beginning chapters are just the tip of the iceberg. There is much, much, more to come.

Thanks for all of your witty and wonderful reviews! You guys are great!

 

Happy Holidays!

 

   


 

Kagome staggered back in the face of so much death. She looked around, aghast at what her fellow humans were capable of. This was no town persecuted by youkai monsters out for blood. No, this was the work of swords and hatchets. Arrows, knives, guns and fists. Men lay about the perimeter of the village where they had fallen in their failed attempt to hold back the invasion of an impossible army bent on destruction. The townspeople here were primarily Buddhist worshipers, and loyal to the Asai Clan, which together, cost them all their lives.

Oda Nobunaga was relentless in his campaign to ensure the total rule of the Oda clan. The Daimyo had many enemies who attempted to thwart his goals, but a particular thorn in his side was the warrior monks from the Honganji, Enryakuji of Mt. Hiei. If she remembered her history correctly, Nobunaga's army attacked Mt. Hiei in 1571, and during the quest to extinguish the monks' threat thousands of men, women, and children, were slaughtered. It was said that every monk, young and old, innocent or not, was hunted down and killed.

It was the year 1571, but so far, Mt. Hiei was still standing strong, and Kagome was the only one alive that knew of its future ruin.

Sometimes she really hated knowing what was going to happen, and being unable to stop it, for fear of changing the fabric of time.

The 'history' was somewhat sad and interesting in class, as a historical fact, but utterly terrifying in reality. Faintly, she remembered the time her teacher reviewed Nobunaga's triumphs, and she had chalked him up to just another Feudal Era tyrant, but here, she had a clear view of just what this tyrant was capable of.

Both the village meeting hall, and temple, were burned to the ground with hundreds of dead, charred, bodies lying within the crackling embers. They would have been mostly women and children, because the men were all hacked, shot, and stabbed on the outskirts. What women were not burned alive were scattered about with skirts lifted and necks cut. Their rape was only a brutal prelude to their ultimate end. Kagome winced at the sight of several dead children and infants, their short lives ended in a war that had no meaning to them. Altogether the devastation was the making of many nightmares to come.

The stench of blood and death mingled with the acrid smell of the soot and lingering smoke from the burned huts and homes. Here was a truly morbid sight for a young woman born in a future time of peace and prosperity. She had seen a lot of death since falling in the well five years ago, but nothing compared to this. Not even Sango's demon slayer village came close to this level of carnage.

With a heavy heart the young miko sighed and dropped to her knees. The tears would fall, and there was nothing that could hold them back. Man's inhumanity to man was plainly evident in this horror scene, and Kagome could do nothing except pray to the Kami that the souls of the people here would find peace in the after life.

It was times like this that she really, really, wanted to go home.

"Get up Kagome. It's not safe here. The demons will be coming soon. The blood will draw them here for a feast. Disgusting bastards."

Kagome looked up and wiped her tears with the back of one dirty hand. "I know, Shippo. I know. It's just so..."

Shippo sighed and walked over to Kagome. Her heart was kind, and things like this were hard on those born to it, much less those who were not. He put his arm around her shoulders, and patted her, trying to comfort his friend. "Please don't cry Kagome."

"I'm sorry, Shippo. I'm okay," she sniffed then moved to stand. Shippo stood by her side and offered his support. That was all he could do, really. He looked around at the mess that had once been a thriving village - the second human village in this area that had been completely wiped out by the passing army. Sometimes he wondered why? Why would humans do such horrible things to those of their own kind? The stench in the air made his eyes burn and his gut wrench. Blood, smoke, charred flesh, spilled semen, tears, and terror poisoned the air here and would continue to taint the earth for a long time afterward.

He hated that Kagome had to see these things. She came from a time where people mostly treated each other as equals. Violence and rape were not tolerated, and people were not killed for their religious beliefs. There were flying machines and tall shiny buildings that touched the sky. Children went to school and played in places called parks. All the stories Kagome had told him through the years painted a bright picture for the future. He often wished that he could have seen it all. Then again, when faced with a cruel world full of death, would ignorance of the future wonders have been best? Maybe. Then again, the knowledge did allow for hope, and sometimes that is the only thing that gets a soul through the day.

It wasn't better for Kagome. She was stuck here now, in a place that she didn't truly belong. Visiting a past time was nothing compared to being stuck in it. She was adjusting well, but it was pretty hard on her. She missed her family, friends, and all of the conveniences of her time. She also missed the freedom. Women were treated much differently here than in Kagome's time. The only thing that saved her from the full brunt of discrimination was her position as village priestess and protector of the Shikon no Tama. Still, it was little consolation, considering the backward ways of the humans in this century.

Shippo watched Kagome walk over to the remains of the meeting hall and temple. In the dirt, before what was once the main doorway, she bowed in prayer, and began chanting her blessings over the mass grave of dead. Soon she uttered the closing phrases and stood up. She straightened to her full height, squared her shoulders and pulled on her everlasting determination.

"Come on Shippo. Let's go. I want to be in YoKaishi in three days. Madam Seto is expecting me and I really need that herb."

Shippo smiled a little and nodded before hurrying to catch up. They had flown the entire day before, until it became hard to see where they were going, so that morning Kagome insisted that they walk until noon. She was worried that using his jaki to stay transformed too long would wear him out and make him sick. Of course, being a demon, he couldn't get sick, but he didn't bother to tell her that. It was nice that she cared about his health. Kagome was as close to him as his own mother had been, but Kagome was more. She was also his greatest friend. She always had his best interest at heart.

Kagome interrupted Shippo's fond thoughts with an absent-minded mutter. "While we're there, remind me to ask her about a foot tonic for Inuyasha's feet. Peew-wweee. That's some serious foot odor he's had lately." Shippo snickered knowingly and said, "Sure thing Kagome."

He could always count on Kagome. She was as practical as she was compassionate.

It was her strength of character that put her through the hard times. Even now, traveling in dangerous lands, when Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango were weeks away on a mission to save Shodo-shima Island from Ogre's. Since Kaede passed on a year ago, Kagome was the sole priestess of their village near Edo, so it was her responsibility to stay and protect the village. The only other likely candidate was Oichi, Kagome's young apprentice, who had barely seen twelve summers. Oichi was strong and learning fast, but not nearly ready to protect such a large village. Even though Kagome wanted to go with her friends and be by their side in the battle, she accepted her duty and stayed behind where she was needed most.

Everything had been going fine until the village headmaster's wife began to suffer from a lung sickness. It spread quickly to the headman and their two sons, and soon three more families suffered the same ailment. Kagome had done everything in her power to heal them, but she was in need of a rare herb that even Jinenji did not have in his vast garden. So, together they had set out to YoKaishi two days ago. If they kept up their current pace, they should complete their mission and be back home in a total of eight days, unless Kagome chose to stay overnight in YoKaishi. He didn't want to mention it, but Shippo was really hoping that they would stay the night. He could use some rest under a roof without having to sleep with one eye opened in case of attack.

Thankfully, the remainder of the journey to YoKaishi consisted of little more than trees, dirt and more trees. They camped under the stars, but there was no ramen, and no Inuyasha to slurp it all up like a selfish idiot. Shippo sighed. He really missed the ramen.

The bustle of activity on the road was evidence that they were nearing their destination. YoKaishi was much like any other human village in the area with the exception of a few youkai mingling easily with the humans. Shippo had been to many villages with Kagome and Inuyasha, most of which shunned them because of their youkai heritage. It was a rare treat to visit a bustling village where the youkai seemed to be welcomed, if not actually liked. Kagome looked down at him with a smile. She was surprised too. It felt good, for a change, to be accepted instead of chased out of town with pitchforks.

Kagome stopped by a merchant-stand selling beaded jewelry, and Shippo watched her face light up as she admired the craftsmanship and designs. The merchant greeted her with a smile, which Kagome happily returned.

"The jade would look lovely with your skin coloring, my dear."

Kagome held up the intricately patterned beads and gently traced the tiny grooves that were so lovingly carved into the hard surface. "They are so pretty. Did you make them?"

The elder woman nodded proudly and turned to a young woman sitting behind her. "I am teaching the trade to my young granddaughter, now. She shows much promise in the art."

Kagome could tell that the woman held high hopes for her granddaughter's future. For some reason, it made Kagome sad, and reminiscent of her grandfather, who had always dreamed that she would grow up and take over his position at their shrine. I took over your position, Gramps, but it was way before you are ever born.

Feeling a little homesick, and suddenly melancholy, Kagome put the necklace back, and patted the old woman's wrinkled hands. "It's lovely, and I'm sure your granddaughter will do you proud." Recovering a little of her composure, Kagome stepped back, and shifted her bow to a more comfortable position. "I hope that you can help me. I am looking for Madam Seto."

The old woman smiled brightly and nodded with enthusiasm. "Yes, priestess. I can tell you where to find her."

Shippo stood back, watching and listening to everything around him. Several huts down, the butcher was yelling at a stray cat that stole a sliver of his finest meat. There were men working iron somewhere beyond that. He could hear the laughter of children playing a game of chase, and an angry husband shouting at his wife.

The streets here were bustling with activity, and he was excited to be there. Their own village was ever growing and changing, but it was always fun to visit a different place.

"Come on Shippo. Let's get going," Kagome said.

Shippo looked up and smiled cheerfully. "Can we get some fried sweet bread before we go?"

Kagome laughed. "Of course. Just remind me, before we leave." Shippo nodded, satisfied that his sweet tooth would be fed before heading back home. Pocky and Lollipops were the only things he missed about Kagome's home in the future.

Well, that and Ramen.

They continued walking down the middle of town, and though the people here seemed to accept youkai, there were still those who took the long way around when they walked by. It didn't really hurt his feelings anymore. Youkai sometimes treated humans like that too. Kagome said that it was their ignorance that made them that way. He supposed that she was right about that.

Madam Seto greeted them at the door, and joyfully shuffled them both inside her little home. Shippo looked around in amazement, taking in the massive varieties of drying herbs and wooden bowls filled all sorts of roots. It all combined to create a spicy medicinal odor in the room. The smell was beginning to make him dizzy, and he quickly tapped Kagome on the arm.

"Yes, Shippo?" Kagome took one look at her little friend and knew that he was close to passing out. She giggled good-naturedly and gave him a gentle push toward the door. "It might be a good idea if you wait outside for me." Shippo didn't argue with her for once, and when she knew that he was safely outside, and away from the strong smells that went straight to his head, she turned her full attention back on the old woman. "Forgive me. He's a little sensitive to strong smells."

"Interesting companion you have there. Does he belong to you?" the ancient woman asked in a voice that matched the aged look of her wrinkled, spotted skin.

Kagome laughed softly and shook her head. "Shippo? No. He's like... like... a younger brother." Again, she was accosted by images of her family. The smiling face of her brother, Sota, as she chased him up the shrine steps. When he was little, she would always let him win, and once he reached the top he would jump up and down cheering that he was the champion.

"I see sadness in your eyes, young priestess," Madam Seto carefully observed. "Yet, I fear that your journey has only just begun."

"Excuse me?" Kagome asked. She wondered if the old woman were senile or something? What did she mean by that?

With a heavy sigh Madam turned and scuffled away. Kagome watched her disappear into the back room, only to return moments later with a small cloth bag, which she held out to her with a troubled smile.

"What's this?" Kagome asked.

"It's the herb that you came for. Just grind it into a fine powder, mix it into a paste and rub a thin layer on their chests. It'll clear that lung sickness right up, and they should be up and about in around six or seven days." Then Seto's thinning gray brows sunk low, and she caught Kagome's arm with her gnarled hand, before meeting her eyes. "Don't blame yourself, girl, if things go bad. Trust your heart. It will save you." She sounded sad, and her voice carried a strange note of concern that made Kagome blink twice.

Woa...That sounded pretty ominous. Gee, just what I needed today.</i> Kagome nodded, and felt like she should say something, but darned if anything would come to mind. She was too busy trying to figure out if the creepy - albeit very nice - woman was reading her mind. And what was that she said about things going bad? <i>Oh crap. Why do these things always happen to me?

When Madam Seto finally looked away, releasing the firm hold that she had on her forearm, it snapped Kagome out of her self-induced moment of hysteria. She was just being silly. Shaking her head and hiding the smile that wanted to break out so badly that it hurt, Kagome put the 'doom and gloom' words out of her mind. Those old timers could really be superstitious sometimes. Madam Seto would probably get along real well with her Grampa.

Still, though, Madam Seto had known exactly what she came here for without one word from her about it.

Weird.

Kagome got the creeps from the implications and decided that it was high time to take her leave. She bowed graciously to Madam Seto and asked about the price. The sick families had given her some coin, but it wasn't much. No one in her village was very wealthy. Simple farmers and hunters were the only families that made up her village. There were a few craftsmen that specialized in ironwork and other specialty needs, but that was about it.

"No charge, Dearie," Madam replied, with a grandmotherly shake of her head. She then tossed Kagome a second, smaller, sack, almost as an afterthought. "And tell your friend to soak his feet twice a day in a solution of that mixed with fresh water."

Kagome gasped in surprise. How did she know?

Realizing that she was staring with an open mouth, Kagome finally gathered her wits and asked, "Are you sure? I have money to pay."

Madam only shook her head, again giving her a look that held sadness. "No child. I would never charge a priestess for my wares."

Kagome smiled gratefully. "Thank you. That's very nice of you." She bowed in respect and then pushed the mat aside to step out onto the small porch where Shippo sat waiting. As she moved the door flap aside, she could have sworn that she heard Madam mutter, 'Besides, it will never be used.'

Kagome almost stopped to ask her what she meant, but then thought better of it, figuring that she probably just misunderstood the elderly woman's mutterings.

"Let's go find somewhere to stay the night, Shippo, Kagome said, I brought along a few coins of my own. I think that we deserve a good night's rest with a warm meal and a roof over our heads. We'll get an early start in the morning."

"Sounds great to me, Kagome," Shippo replied anxiously. "I'm starving."

Kagome laughed. "You're always starving. Between you and Inuyasha there's never anything to eat at home."

Shippo gave her a big cheesy grin, agreeing completely. Since he started growing taller, his appetite had really increased quite a lot.

After grabbing a room at the local inn, Kagome and Shippo cleaned up and ordered a nice hot meal. They both savored the succulent strips of steamed fish, and Kagome ended up forfeiting the last piece to Shippo-the-eating-machine. After they had their tummies full, they retired a little early, so that they could get up and head back home at dawn.  


 

I really hate rooster's, Kagome groaned, after one with a huge set of lungs had let loose right below the window where she slept. The fact that the windows contained no glass, and the only thing muffling the screeching trumpet was a thin flap of cloth, caused her to jerk awake in terror, expecting to be attacked by some horrible beast.

She saw Shippo laying on his mat curled in a fetal position and holding his hands over his ears while scrunching up his face. "Make it stop," he groaned miserably. She rubbed her hand over her sleepy eyes, and mumbled. "Where's a sling shot when you need one?"

Considering they had their own - albeit, living and annoyingly loud - alarm clock at the inn, Kagome and Shippo were heading out of the village by the time the sun was beginning to spread its peachy morning glow. Even though the morning wakeup call had been a little rough, the day promised to be beautiful. Birds were chirping happily in the trees all around them, and occasionally a furry animal would dart across the misty path in front of them.

That evening they camped near a creek of water than ran slow and had a nice sloping sandbar where they could enjoy a dip and wash the dirt from their bodies in peace. Kagome rinsed her hair and looked down at her threadbare bathing suit, thinking that it was too bad spandex wasn't invented for many centuries to come. It didn't look like she was going to be able to replace it. With a heavy sigh, she shook off the onslaught of gloominess and finished rinsing the harsh soap from her skin. She was still learning how to make the soap, but when she got better, she hoped to add some rose petals or gardenia for fragrance.

Sometimes she really missed her loofah and wonderful smelling liquid soaps full of skin softening conditioners.

She waited for Shippo to get out and dressed. He then went off to gather some firewood to keep them warm through the night. Kagome got out and dressed, pulling on the heavy priestess garb that she wore most all of the time now. She still had one pair of jeans, a tee-shirt and a sundress from her time, but she considered those 'special occasion clothing', and almost never wore them, so that they would last longer.

It really sucked that there were no malls in the feudal era.

While Shippo was out, he ran across a rabbit, which was now roasting deliciously on a spit over the coals of their fire. Kagome watched the flames jumping around in a hypnotic dance while Shippo sat nearby twirling his toy top as was his habit.

"So what do you think Inuyasha, Sango, Kirara, and Miroku are doing right now?" Shippo asked quietly.

Kagome shrugged, "I don't know. Do you suppose they have made it to the ferryboat yet?"

"Maybe," Shippo said, "If nothing got in their way on the trip there."

Kagome never looked away from the dancing flames. Her knees were pulled up close and her arms were wrapped around herself comfortably. "I miss them already," she whispered.

"Me too," Shippo quietly agreed.

After finishing off the rabbit, and a few wild berries that Kagome picked before dark, they settled down for the night, completely unaware of how terribly wrong everything would go tomorrow.  


 

The battle raged on and blood coated the ground in pools of gritty black. Swords clashing and men shouting did little to cover the sounds of the men wounded and dying. Nobunaga pushed forward, impaling his sword deep into an enemy soldiers' chest, then snatched it out with a grunt of pain. He was wounded, and it was bleeding pretty damned bad. He looked around for any of the men fighting by his side. "You there, fetch my healer, and be quick about it!"

He had taken a pretty good hit to his midsection, but he was almost sure that it missed his major organs. Unfortunately, that wouldn't stop him from bleeding to death if he didn't get help soon. Nobunaga stumbled a little and one of his other men caught his arm. He looked at him with a glare, but wasn't stupid enough to refuse his help. They retreated from the dying battle, and found a riderless horse that they used to heft him up on. The soldier leading him was limping a little, worn out and bloody, but seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Once they made it to his tent, Nobunaga pulled himself off of the horse, with a little help, and made it inside to collapse on his pallet.

Damn, he hurt.

In minutes he was disturbed by a frantic herd of men who finally settled on confronting him with the problem, instead of standing outside debating about the consequences. Of course, learning that his healer had been injured badly, hardly made him feel any better about his current bleeding situation.

That half-witted bastard should have stayed out of the fight, he mumbled angrily, because according to the bumbling idiot who was, even now, bowing his deepest apologies, his personal healer was currently unconscious and would probably stay that way for awhile.

Fuck.

From what he could see, the fools running around him were going to cluck like chickens, while they let him lay there and bleed to death. He managed to push himself up, which disturbingly resulted in a gush of blood from the wound, then shouted an order that should have been plain common sense.

"Find somebody to heal me, and find them NOW!"

   


 

Kagome and Shippo walked into the village and warily looked around. From the looks of things the army of soldiers that came through here had spared them their worst. Kagome had seen their worst, and the people here had gotten away mostly intact. There were a few women and children kneeling by the bodies of their husbands, fathers and brothers, who had attempted to turn the soldiers away. It was a minor death toll compared to the carnage of the Buddhist village they passed the other day.

The town meeting hall was burned down, a few huts, as well as a barn, but there were people wandering around, so that was a really good sign.

Shippo had just leaned down to comfort a little girl sitting in the street alone, when a young boy came out of the woods shouting a warning at the top of his lungs for everyone to hide. Kagome reached down, swooped the girl up, and rushed her to a woman shuffling two other children along. The woman took the girl and once they were safely hidden Kagome took Shippo's hand and they ducked behind a portion of half-burnt wall.

The sound of a dozen horses beating a path toward them thundered in their ears, while they peeked around the corner to see what was going on. An old man, who Kagome guessed was the headman of the small village, came out to meet the soldiers, even though his small, thin, body was shaking with terror. Several of the soldiers dismounted, as the two in front issued orders before barking out a question to the old man.

As a result of the distance, and all the noise from the horses, Kagome couldn't hear what exactly they were saying, so she looked down at Shippo who was squatting beneath her. He shook his head, instead of telling her, and she glared at him, but had no time to force the issue, before one of the soldiers grabbed the old man up and shook him hard.

Kagome started to move from her hiding spot to try and help, but Shippo grabbed her arm and stopped her. When the sound of more shuffling and shouts distracted her she peeked around the corner again. A scared young girl wearing much the same type of garments that she had on was coming out to meet the soldiers.

A priestess?

She was a really young one if she was. Kagome guessed she was no more than ten or so. When one of the soldiers grabbed the girl, Kagome couldn't stand it anymore. She leaned down and whispered a fierce demand in Shippo's ear, "Tell me what's going on. Now."

"They need a healer."

The look in Shippo's eyes said it all. He knew that Kagome wouldn't let these people suffer when she could help. Kagome gave him a resigned nod, and patted his shoulder. "Stay here."

"No, Kagome, wait!"

But it was too late, Kagome stepped out and the soldiers saw her right away. The one holding the young girl released her just as roughly as he had grabbed her, sending her sprawling to the ground. Kagome tried not to think about what she was getting into, and instead focused on the fact that she was saving that young priestess from being dragged off by a bunch of barbaric men.

Never mind that she was sacrificing herself to the same barbaric men.

"I'm a healer, and I will go with you peacefully." Thankfully, her voice didn't shake, revealing how scared she really was, but when the man in front grunted, leaned down, and snatched her up on the horse to ride behind him, she released a squeal of surprise.

Just like that, the path of her life had changed.

Shippo wasted no time transforming to follow behind. He had no intention of letting them take Kagome, while he just sat back and waited for her to return. Anything could happen, and he didn't want to lose sight of her.

It was nearly an hour before they came upon the battlefield. Shippo popped back to his normally foxy self and looked around, while trying to cover his nose. The stench was atrocious. There were bodies everywhere. Men from both sides. Lone horses, having lost their riders in battle, milled around like lost souls. Death was everywhere, and it made him really nervous.

This was one of those times when he really, really, wished that Inuyasha was near.

Kagome slid off the horse, and rubbed her sore behind, while the man that had grabbed her forced her along. The trip hadn't given her any clues as to who these guys took their orders from, and no one had mentioned what they wanted her to do. When they reached a large white tented area, she was held outside, while the guard standing at the door ducked in. He then came back out and held the flap for them to enter. Kagome was shoved one more time, but that was the final straw.

She whirled around with her finger pointing accusingly, "Look buddy, I don't know where you got your manners, but didn't your mama tell you not to shove girls?!"

By the look on his face, he was less than pleased with her comment. Me and my big mouth. The only thing her comment succeeded in doing was getting her shoved again. That time, she fell into a heap at the foot of an injured man's bedroll.

"You will heal Nobunaga-sama, or you will die."

Kagome huffed and turned away from the jerk. "You could have just asked, you know," she grumbled. When she turned to her patient it clicked.

There, lying before her, was the Oda Nobunaga.