InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 26 - Enemies, Lovers and Allies ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I do this for free. I'm not affiliated with Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha, and only write free fanfiction for my love of twisting her character's to my dark, demented will. May the smut live on.

Chapter 26 - Enemies, Lovers and Allies

A/N: Thank you for all the nice reviews; although, a few of you had me a little perplexed. Please read the A/N's. They are posted to keep you informed. I'd like to mention that THIS STORY IS FAR FROM OVER. Heck, the good stuff is just getting started! Don't worry, I will let you know when the end is near.  


 

Uchuu shifted in his seat for the hundredth time. It was a pain to be stuck riding in a carriage. Hell, he wasn't even sure where Hyuuga had procured such a vehicle, but he supposed it had its uses. One being that his mate could travel with him in comfort. Uchuu turned to meet Sumiho's eyes and her blush made him smile. Since he had taken her on their mating night, he could hardly think of anything except sinking into her warm welcoming body once again.

With a grunt he turned away from his lovely mate and glanced at the reason that he could not enjoy her favors within the damnable carriage. Why had Hyuuga sent these two along? He had no need of a personal guard, yet Hyuuga had gifted him with one nonetheless.

"Tell me Saburo-san, how you gained your fighting skills?"

Saburo shifted uncomfortably, and glanced to his side meeting Yumiko's curious eyes. The whole trip was turning out to be a hugely uncomfortable experience. Fortunately, he was still alive to complain. Lord Hyuuga had come to him two nights ago and made him an offer that he could not refuse. It was either imprisonment for five years or the position of personal guard to Prince Uchuu. The official position had not greatly appealed to him, and he suspected that Lord Hyuuga could sense his inner discord. That was when Hyuuga had upped the ante, offering the hand of the lovely Yumiko as his bride in exchange for his service. Saburo could hardly turn the offer down.

Now he found himself traveling across the countryside with the prince and his new mortal bride, not to mention the one who had inadvertently captured his own wily heart. Saburo was unsure how he had managed to come into such prosperity, but he would not question the Gods. He had been drawn to Yumiko from the start, and now she was his—whether she liked it or not.

In answer to his new liege's question, Saburo offered his answer, hoping that it did not offend. "In my journeys I happened across a human samurai that had forsaken his sovereign lord. His daughter..." Saburo nervously glanced to Yumiko, hoping to see some reaction to his words, but was disappointed when he found her looking out the window with disinterest. "Well," Saburo continued, "suffice it to say that the Samurai had a very tempting reason for me to stay. While visiting, the man taught me everything that he knew. I have found that the lessons are productive in battle; although, he could only offer mortal skills."

Yumiko listened to her new husband yammering on about his combat prowess while hinting at his sexual prowess as well. Did he truly think that would turn her head? She could care less for stories of his youth. She was still angry. Very, very, angry.

If only she had not ran into the battle and attacked Asuza, then this would never have happened. She would not have been forced into marriage with a youkai that she did not even know. She could have been sitting by the fireside with her father and enjoying his tales of old. Yumiko sighed. It was folly to think that way. Had she not intervened in Lord Hyuuga's struggle against Asuza's mind control, then the enemy would most likely have killed her father. There would not have been a home to return to.

It was still unfair. She had done nothing but offer her life in exchange for Lord Hyuuga's chance to stop Asuza, but in return what did he offer her? Eternally wed to a youkai that was originally an enemy. It made her want to growl.

She had worried that the monkey king would think her a danger to him and his people since she held the ability to hypnotize ones mind. She had even feared that he would put her to death, but instead he had chained her to Saburo. Yumiko turned her head and glanced at her new husband. He seemed uncomfortable beneath her scrutiny and finally looked away. It was just as well, for she had no urge to build a relationship with the man as of yet. She was still too mad.

He was a handsome devil though. Yumiko could not deny that. His dark violet hair fell about his face in perpetual disarray, full of misbehaving curls that teased his brow and brushed his broad shoulders. Not for the first time, Yumiko wondered what it would feel like to touch those shoulders without the hindrance of clothing in between. She wondered if his skin was hot and if he would enjoy her touch.

Yumiko blinked and quickly turned away, blushing at her own naughty thoughts. She had refused him admittance to her bed so far, and he had not pushed the mating—for which she was grateful. They were practically strangers after all, but she could not put him off forever. She could sense his acute interest in her; his longing to touch her—she could see it in his eyes.

Why? That was the question of the hour. Why did he feel so drawn to her? Could it be a side effect of her power? Had she inadvertently bound him to her in some magical way? That was the crux of the matter. She longed to be loved for who she was. She did not want a husband that loved her because she had cast a spell on him and certainly not one that was forced to marry her because some arrogant monkey king decreed it as Saburo’s only option. It was most degrading.

"My sweet? Are you well? Would you like a drink?" Saburo asked her softly.

Yumiko turned to him and tried to force the painful fears away for the moment. He was trying so hard to please her, yet she couldn't stop the anger that still lingered. She had been forced to marry. Gods. As a hanyou, she had come to accept the lonely position of solitude within her village. Mortal men never approached her and youkai usually snubbed her as well. She had grown up ridiculed and feared, yet she and her father had managed to make a place for her there. Together they had honed her talent and proposed her usefulness to the village elders. For once, they saw something in her other than an abomination. They saw a usefulness and Yumiko had at last found a way to fit in.

It was all ruined now. Her quiet existence was shattered and nothing would ever be the same. Her father had been surprised and pleased when she told him of her nuptials, but she could see the deeper questions in his eyes. Unfortunately, with her new husband standing beside her, she could not explain. She had departed her father with a kiss and headed out on this unexpected journey with three people that she did not know—one, being her husband.

"No, thank-you," Yumiko replied, then turned her head to stare out of the tiny window some more. She wanted to ask him questions. She needed to know him, yet now was not the time. He was a stranger to her, but she would be foolish to think that he would stay that way.

"Lady Sumiho?" Saburo asked.

Sumiho smiled and shook her head. "Thank-you, but I am fine."

"I'm glad you are," Uchuu growled. "This damned trip is getting on my nerves. I could have carried you and we would have been there by now."

Sumiho laughed at her mate's impatience. "Yes dearest, but then we would not have arrived in such lavish style."

"Humph," Uchuu grunted. "Style. Who cares?"

"Lord Sesshomaru would think us less than respectable had we all arrived filthy and wind blown. This way we can arrive somewhat neatly."

"Like he cares. Besides, from what Hyuuga told me about him, the ass is more likely to attack us than welcome us."

"You've never met him?" Saburo asked. He didn't like the implications of Uchuu's statement. "How could Hyuuga send us into a dangerous situation with our wives?"

Yumiko turned her head curiously, and studied her new husband. He seemed truly concerned for her. For some reason it made her feel...warm.

Uchuu waved a clawed hand carelessly and slumped into a very un-prince-like position. "Bah, Hyuuga assured me that the inu lord is fair and would not attack unless provoked. Personally, I wasn't very comfortable with that. I wanted to leave Sumiho within the safety of the clan, but Hyuuga insisted she come. Apparently this demon we are approaching has a human ward, and Hyuuga believes that with Sumiho accompanying us, he will be less volatile at our unannounced arrival."

Saburo turned and met the lovely emerald eyes of his wife. She was young and untouched. Brave and stubborn. He had not had a chance to know her and had many things that he wanted to learn. He could not stand the thought of losing her before that could happen. "What if he is wrong?"

Surprisingly, it wasn't Uchuu that answered, but Sumiho. She was adamant in her response and utterly confident in the king—even more so than his own brother. "Lord Hyuuga is a wise ruler and though we do not completely understand his reasoning, I am sure that he has thought this through. He would not send us on a doomed mission. I trust him, and so should you."

Yumiko blinked at the human woman and shook her head. "I trust no one."

Sumiho met the unusual eyes of the halfling and shook her head. "That is sad, but I would imagine that you have your reasons."

Yumiko turned to the passing countryside and whispered her reply, "More than you know."

Saburo realized then that his lovely young wife held many deep scars that would take years to scrub out. He was determined to wash away the pain that she harbored and introduce her to trust and love. It was obvious that her human-youkai heritage had been hard on her, but she was also beautiful and full of a unique power. It would be his pleasure to show her that.

Yumiko gasped softly when she felt Saburo take her hand in his much larger one. His flesh was so warm and his touch was gentle. He squeezed her hand gently, and she looked to him with a shy smile. She liked this feeling that he gave her through the simple act of holding her hand. It seemed intimate, somehow, and for the first time since she found herself married, the idea did not make her afraid.

Across from the couple, Uchuu pulled Sumiho closer and nuzzled her neck. He ignored her giggle of protest and shy response to his open display. It was driving him mad to be so close to her and not be able to roam his hands over her body. He had suffered this trip miserably and was tired of pretending to be in control. He was not. He was lusty and desired a tumble with his new wife.

Unfortunately they were not alone, and he would not dishonor her in front of Yumiko and Saburo, so Uchuu contented himself with cuddling her close and inhaling her addicting scent. He was just getting comfortable when the soldier heading up the entourage fell back to the window. "Sire, we will be arriving at the Citadel gates within minutes."

"Very well," Uchuu replied before sitting up and preparing to meet the infamous Lord Sesshomaru. "Well, Saburo, the time is upon us. Either we get our asses kicked or we get an entry. Just keep your eyes open and remember, protect the women at all cost."

"Hai, my lord," Saburo responded curtly.

As a deep mysterious horn echoed their arrival, Uchuu grew a bit more nervous. "Odd, don't you think, that the feared ruler did not intervene in our journey as soon as we crossed onto his lands?"

Saburo grunted his agreement. "It is true. From what I have heard of the Western Lord, he is not tolerant of trespassers."

Yumiko shifted a little nervously. "Perhaps he knew that we were coming to see him?"

Saburo raised a brow. "And how would he know that? Only Lord Hyuuga and Lord Umito were privy to the knowledge before we left."

Sumiho laughed softly at them all. "Do you think that a powerful ruler like this one would not know what transpires upon his lands? I would imagine that he knew of our intention as soon as we crossed into his territory."

Uchuu chuckled and squeezed his little wife affectionately. "To be so human you certainly seem to have a great insight into youkai nature."

Sumiho giggled and patted his broad hand. "Do you think that I spend all my time daydreaming of your handsome face?"

Uchuu grinned broadly and gave her a playful poke with the blunt end of his stunted tail. "I am disturbed to find that you do not."

The carriage rolled through the massive gates. The powerful magic wards that enforced the megalithic structure were so prominent, Sumiho, a mortal, could feel it. Dozens of curious youkai surrounded the carriage as it headed to the center of the fortress. They could hear the curious whispers among the residents of the Western Citadel. They were wondering who would visit in such a strange wagon. Some smelled a human aboard and others mentioned 'hanyou'. A few growls were discouraging as several men literally spat the word 'monkey'.

When the carriage finally rolled to a stop, their terrified footman quickly made way to open the small door. Saburo led the way, as it was his duty to ensure the safety of his prince as well the wives. Uchuu came next, grumbling about the damned height of the carriage roof after knocking his head when he stood up. Uchuu paused to escort his lady down the steps, and Saburo quickly stepped up behind him to offer his hand to Yumiko. The four of them turned to face the castle doors, and a gasp of recognition escaped Uchuu before he could stop it.

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes on the monkey prince and stepped out of the shadows. He had been made aware of their approach for some time now, and was curious of the visitors that dared verge upon his citadel. He was told that the group consisted of four visible monkey soldiers and several useless servants. The spies had also informed him of a hidden monkey of considerable power, as well as a wolf. He was told there was a hanyou amongst them and a mortal female. The clues had led him to suspect the arrival of Prince Uchuu, but he was not sure of it until the monkey crossed his gates.

Uchuu was here...and he knew all about the humiliation that Sesshomaru had recently suffered.

Jaken was quick to address the uninvited guests. "How dare you infiltrate Lord Sesshomaru's exalted home?!"

Sesshomaru gave Jaken a swift kick that sent the toad out of sight and then pointedly asked, "Why are you here?"

The crowd waited in anticipation, wondering who these odd visitors were and why they had come. A swarm of mutual surprise passed through them all when the monkey prince stepped forward and greeted the feared demon lord as if they were old friends.

"Gods! It's you!" Uchuu laughed then looked around adding, "I see that you won your battle."

Sesshomaru nodded. "As you obviously have"

"Well," Uchuu began, "it wasn't easy. That bitch, Asuza, is practically impossible to kill, though Hyuuga put forth considerable effort into trying."

Sesshomaru seemed surprised at this. His dark brows drew up and he asked, "He was not controlled?"

Uchuu chuckled as if the entire thing were a humorous affair instead of the bloody struggle that it actually had been. "Oh, he was controlled all right, but Asuza wasn't expecting our secret weapon."

His curiosity deepened and Sesshomaru took another step toward the monkey prince. "Weapon?"

Uchuu grunted and said, "I'll explain later. Aren't you going to invite us inside?"

The crowd waited, wondering if their lord would strike out at the presumptuous monkey, but amazingly, Lord Sesshomaru merely smirked then turned and led his guests into his castle. Once the massive doors slid closed behind them, Sesshomaru sent Uchuu a glare. "You will not speak of the things you know."

Uchuu was just a little put off that Sesshomaru thought he would spread gossip of their trials in the dungeon, but he shrugged it off. The inu was obviously concerned for his reputation and rightly so. He nodded his understanding and allowed Sesshomaru to lead them to his study, after the taiyoukai barked orders to his servants to carry their belongings to the guest chambers.

Uchuu was forced to part with Sumiho for the time being. He offered her a gentle kiss and smiled in assurance. She looked very nervous, but nodded her understanding. Yumiko, however, was less docile in her dismissal. She sent her husband a glare. "Since I happen to be the 'secret weapon', I think that I should stay."

Sesshomaru's eyes grew wide at her comment and then narrowed considerably. 'This female half-breed is the secret weapon that Uchuu spoke of? Impossible.'

Saburo could see that life would not be so easy with his new woman. She didn't seem to follow orders very well. "Yumiko, my sweet, it would please me if you would go with Lady Sumiho."

Yumiko snorted rather carelessly and tossed her mass of blond hair over her shoulder. "As if I care to please you."

Sesshomaru's brows rose in wonder at the female's impertinence toward her mate. It reminded him of another woman with the same aggravating trait....

Saburo growled with vexation. She could at least try to accept him as her husband. With her stubborn attitude, they would never come together as true mates! "Woman..."

"Fine," Yumiko growled at last. "But if you think I will bend to your every whim, Saburo, you had better think again." Not agreeing with her husband was no excuse for being rude, so she quickly turned to her mysterious host and bowed politely. "Arigato gozaimasu, Lord Sesshomaru, for welcoming us into your home."

Sesshomaru grunted with a nod, and the strange female then turned and left the room.

Uchuu chuckled and then nudged Saburo in the ribs. "You have got your hands full with that one. Obviously you haven't applied the proper solvent to ease the passage into wedded bliss." Saburo grumbled about surprise marriages and stubborn wenches, but the huff of irritation from the more intimidating demon lord cut off his mumbling tirade.

"You have not answered my question, monkey prince. Why are you here?"

Uchuu frowned at the demon. "Call me Uchuu. After all that we have been through together, it is the only acceptable way."

Sesshomaru was feeling many things at the moment and striving hard to keep his pretense of indifference in place. On one hand, he was shaken by the presence of his old cellmate. It disturbed him on a desperate level to see Uchuu again so soon after it all; however, he was gladdened that the monkey had survived his encounter with Asuza and her army. He had not expected him to do so. Obviously, he had underestimated Lord Hyuuga's power. He would keep that in mind for the future.

Seeing Uchuu again brought back painful memories, but also flooded him with visions of Kagome, her stubborn looks and embarrassed blushes. That time in the dungeon had been hell, but it had also brought him Kagome. He wished more than ever that she were here with him, standing by his side, supporting him in his everyday trials. With her, he would be able to lower his guard, toss away his mask and be free.

He sighed inwardly. It was a dream. Just a ridiculous dream. Kagome was further from his grasp now than ever. She told him that she hated him. Even now, the words were like a knife in his heart.

"Right to the point, eh my friend?" Uchuu grunted and found a seat, not bothering to wait for Sesshomaru to offer. "Fine then. I will be as blunt as I can. My brother, Lord Hyuuga, has appointed me ambassador of the clan." He ignored the incredulous snort offered up by Sesshomaru and continued, "He has sent me on a mission of grave importance. I have come to request your alliance in a battle. You see, Hyuuga has decided that it would be in our favor to take the fight to Asuza. He wants her dead." Uchuu narrowed his eyes knowingly on Sesshomaru, "And you do too."

'The monkey king wants an alliance? The world must be coming to an end.' Sesshomaru pushed his surprised thoughts aside and replied with a noncommittal, "Hn." He then lowered himself onto a large cushion, propped one knee up comfortably and draped his hand over it carelessly as he considered the offer. "You have other allies?" he asked of Uchuu.

Uchuu shrugged. "Honestly...no. It seems Hyuuga is not on friendly terms with many outsiders."

"Including this Sesshomaru," the taiyoukai added pointedly.

Uchuu chuckled nervously and met the dog demon's golden-eyed glare. "Yeah, he mentioned that. I think that is why he sent me in his stead. He figured that you would strike first and ask questions later if he were to come here."

"He was correct," Sesshomaru offered with a narrow-eyed glare.

Uchuu did not let this deter him. From the beginning of the trip, he was aware that it would be a difficult task persuading the western lord. Apparently, Hyuuga was not exaggerating the animosity between him and Sesshomaru. Uchuu could only hope that his own close connection to Sesshomaru would sway him to the cause.

"Look Sesshomaru, we both know what an evil bitch Asuza is, not to mention her fucking minions. They need to be slain, and we are the only ones strong enough to accomplish it. Alone, she will defeat us, but if we join forces, then we have a chance to finally kill the whore."

"Well put, my lord," Saburo added from where he stood by the door. Uchuu grinned at him, but then turned to see how Sesshomaru accepted his speech. The taiyoukai seemed deep in thought and Uchuu wondered what was going on inside the demon's head. Would he agree, or would he stay as far away from Asuza and Iku as he could get. Hell, if Sesshomaru did not want to join them, Uchuu could hardly blame him. Not after what they had put the inu through. Uchuu also found it difficult to consider facing them again, and he had not been through half the torment that Sesshomaru had.

Sesshomaru considered the offer. It was folly to go against Asuza, but there seemed to be little choice. Besides, he had unfinished business there. Within that castle was a young human girl that he owed a great favor. Sesshomaru had not forgotten Chisumi. At last he would have the opportunity to set the water girl free.

Uchuu was right--Asuza and Iku must die! To bring the battle to them would be a strategic maneuver that could turn in their favor. Unlike when he had traveled to Asuza's castle alone, but together the powerful demons would have a broader chance to break her concentration; therefore, acquiring a favored moment to attack. With Hyuuga and Uchuu, the odds were tipped more in their favor, but it was still not a guarantee.

If he, or Hyuuga, were associated with more potential allies, then they might actually be able to claim victory. Sesshomaru considered requesting the aid of the panther tribe, but that was out of the question. They had been released from his debt, and he was uninterested in rekindling an alliance that would place him in a position to owe Toran. Not only that, Toran had no connection to Asuza's twisted schemes, and would most likely laugh at him for asking for another alliance so soon—and they called him cold.

An idea came to him then. There was another person who had been misused by Asuza-if only inadvertently. A person who often took it upon herself to champion for a 'just cause'. Kagome. She had been appalled by Asuza's lust for power and her demented ways. Kagome had lived through the hell of Asuza's dungeon and knowing Inuyasha as well as he did, Sesshomaru had little doubt that the boy was itching to settle that score.

Of course, Inuyasha's lust to make Asuza pay for her ill-keeping of the miko had probably taken a second position behind his drive to seek revenge for the hole that Sesshomaru had recently burned in his gut. Sesshomaru sighed at the inconvenience. The timing could not have been worse. On the bright side, Inuyasha was always gnawing for a fight, and with the Tetsusaiga, he would be a valuable ally.

It became clear to Sesshomaru then, that his time in the dungeon had truly changed him beyond imagining. He was actually considering the assistance of Inuyasha. The implications troubled him greatly. Was he not capable of doing this on his own?

A memory came to Sesshomaru of him drinking tea with Asuza and Iku as the filthy bird eyed him with lust. The helplessness that Sesshomaru felt had led to his first true taste of fear. No, he had already tried to defeat Asuza on his own, and the effort cost him dearly. He needed all of the assistance that he could get. This, however, did not mean that Inuyasha had to know Sesshomaru was responsible for suggesting it. He would rather die than go to his half-brother for help.

Kagome was the key, and with her involvement, Sesshomaru might actually have the opportunity to speak to her and make amends. His pulse quickened with the notion of seeing her again. It would be the perfect ruse to get close to her once more. As an ally, Kagome would be forced to accept his presence without open hostility. Being near her might offer an open door to developing her trust. He was dying without her. Constantly her beautiful face tormented him. Her tears and angry words haunted him, and he had not slept in days. He would do anything to see her, even if it meant joining forces with Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru looked up from his contemplation and smirked at the monkey prince. "This Sesshomaru will join you in battle." Uchuu started to reach out to pat him on the shoulder, but Sesshomaru growled menacingly and Uchuu abruptly snatched his arm back. Sesshomaru continued as if nothing happened, offering a derisive snort, "And Hyuuga has appointed you ambassador, has he?" Uchuu nodded and Sesshomaru's smirk grew. "Well then, you will be interested to know that there is one other that would be a benefit to the cause. As rash and irresponsible as the whelp is, you would do well to procure the use of his sword."

Uchuu was intrigued and excited. "Who are you speaking of?"

Sesshomaru grunted and shook his head, unbelieving that he was actually considering this at all, but unwilling to pass up the opportunity to see Kagome again. "His name is Inuyasha. You will find him in the village of Edo amidst Inuyasha's Forest. When you arrive, you must first ask for Kagome."

Uchuu's eyes grew wide, and he sat up a little straighter. "The miko? Our miko?"

Sesshomaru shot a narrow-eyed glance toward the guard standing watch and found the young youkai male listening intently. He growled towards the wolf with a warning to mind his ears, then turned to Uchuu. "Not our miko. Her name is Kagome." His voice was filled with a non-verbalized threat. It had taken every ounce of his self-control not to call her his own. 'By the ancients'...No matter how much Sesshomaru wanted to proclaim Kagome as his, he could not do so at this time. One thing, however, was infinitely certain, she was not Uchuu's to claim. The mere thought made him see red. "Kagome belongs to no one."

Uchuu saw his mistake and immediately held up his hands in appeasement. "Sorry. I didn't mean to offend." The prince then chanced a glance to Saburo, found his guard to be gazing out into the hallway— as if he hadn’t heard a thing—and then quickly looked back to Sesshomaru. "You know what I mean. Is she the one?"

Sesshomaru nodded. "Hai. Seek her out by name, but I warn you, she knows not who I am, and I must insist that you keep it that way. Inuyasha is her protector. He will most likely attack you first before asking questions. The boy is a cretin, but he has a powerful sword and wields it with sufficient strength. Watch yourself, monkey. Do not underestimate him. Inuyasha may be a half-breed, but he carries the blood of my father in his veins."

Uchuu felt a nervous tingle at the warning, but shook his head in understanding. They needed solid allies in this fight to rid the world of Asuza and Iku. Sesshomaru was offering him the perfect opportunity to add another mighty sword, and he would be a fool to pass it up. The half-demon son of the famous Dog General would be a welcome ally, so it was decided...After leaving the Western Citadel, Uchuu would seek Kagome out.  


 

She was floating within a sea of black satin clouds. The sensuous softness enveloped her body, sliding erotically over her skin, brushing her bared breasts and tickling between her thighs. Kagome moaned and stretched her body, luxuriating in the lush feel of smooth, velveteen density all around her. She reached out, sliding her hand over warm hot flesh—skin not her own. It was delicious, making her pant for more, while the gentle whisper of long silky hair wisped over her heated, aching chest. "Oh...Gods," she groaned with wanton heaviness.

The male hovering above her nipped at her neck, sending chills of awareness down to wash her loins with welcome warmth. She arched into him and begged for more, "Please...", and he shifted his hips, grinding the evidence of his excitement against her core.

Kagome opened her eyes with the need to look into her lover's face...and finally he was revealed to her.

What she found was unexpected and terrifying. Crimson eyes looked back at her with long sharp fangs bared and sizzling with poison. Kagome came awake from the nightmare with a blood-curdling scream.

"Kagome!"

She sat up, blinking and frantically turning her head while trying to get her bearings. Her breaths were harshly drawn and ragged and sweat beaded her brow. Shippo was standing over her and Sango was by her side holding her hand reassuringly. Kagome dragged in a deep breath and released it with a relieved sigh. "Gods...it was just a bad dream."

"Are you okay, Kagome?" Shippo asked anxiously from the foot of her sleeping mat.

"Yes," Sango added with a worry-laden voice, "we heard you moaning. You were tossing and turning, then suddenly you screamed. It scared us half-to-death."

Kagome shook her head and looked away from the concerned faces of her friends. "I'm fine. It was so real." She glanced to Shippo and then met Sango's eyes, conveying how much she did not wish to discuss the particulars in front of their young fox friend. "I'd rather not talk about it now."

"I understand," Sango replied, but Shippo was too anxious to help and had not noticed the silent exchange between the females. He gallantly offered a solution to her turmoil. "Remember what you always tell me, Kagome. If you talk to someone about the nightmare, then it loses its power over you, and then you will be able to go right back to sleep."

Kagome smiled at Shippo, but shook her head. "Sorry Shippo, I hardly even remember it now." She hated to lie, but the truth was too embarrassing. "I'll be fine. It just frightened me awake is all." Shippo shrugged at her answer and waved a sleepy hand as he muttered, "Well, goodnight again."

Kagome whispered "Good night. Sorry I woke you."

Shippo crawled into his sleeping mat on the other side of the room that Kagome usually had all to herself. It made Kagome think of Inuyasha sleeping a healing sleep in the room that the guys usually shared. Turning to Sango, she asked, "How is Inuyasha?"

"He's still sleeping, but his breathing is more even now. I wouldn't be surprised if he were awake by tomorrow."

Kagome sent up a quick prayer of thanks and nodded to Sango. "That's good news. Why don't I take over now and you can head back to your hut and get some rest. I'm sure that Miroku misses you by his side."

Sango grinned and gave a feminine chuckle. "That monk whines horribly when I am not in the bed with him." She yawned and stretched, covering her mouth with the back of her hand. "I guess I could use some sleep. Are you sure?"

Kagome nodded and crawled out from beneath her blankets. "Yeah. That dream left my heart pounding. I couldn't sleep now if I tried. You go get some rest. I'll watch over Inuyasha."

Sango scrambled to her feet and grabbed her things before quietly exiting Kagome's home. Kagome watched her go while wrapping a warm shawl around her shoulders, and then went in to sit by her injured friend. After settling down comfortably by Inuyasha's side, Kagome stared into the candle flame and revisited the strange and frightening dream that woke her up.

The face of her lover was not at all what she expected. Why had it been him? Why, in the dream, had her mystery lover been Lord Sesshomaru?

She shivered and snuggled down into a ball. The dream had felt so real, but unlike anything that she had ever felt before. It had shifted from a sensual romantic tryst to a full-blown nightmare in seconds. It had to have been from their recently violent encounter with the taiyoukai. Obviously her subconscious was lingering on the horrible event while she slept. Those eyes—so red and angry—made her insides quake.

Why then had she dreamed of him lying above her, naked in seduction? Why had his touch aroused her body so intimately? Why him? Why Sesshomaru? The last part of the dream she could understand, but it was the first part that was the most disturbing. Never had she dreamed of Inuyasha's brother in such a scandalous way.

Lord Sesshomaru is an unbelievably handsome male, but looks are not everything. Though he is as close to beautiful as any male could get, Sesshomaru is a lethal combination of excellent battle skills and complete lack of tolerance. He is utterly cold and ruthless, uncaring of the pain that he brings to those who happen to get in the way of his personal desires. He treated Inuyasha abominably up until just a few years ago, and still he only seeks his brother out when he feels like a fight. Sesshomaru is, and always has been, a jerk.

So why had she dreamed of him in such a sexual way? Was she simply longing for her mysterious youkai's tender touch? Had her mind simply been playing tricks on her, twisting her wants and fears into a torrid scene of lust and terror? Kagome sighed deeply and rubbed her forehead against her drawn up knees. Gods...this was terrible. She felt as if she had committed some sort of sin.

'It was just a dream, silly. Just a dream.' Kagome groaned into her wrap then finally lifted her head. She glanced at Inuyasha sleeping so peacefully by her side and wondered what he would think of her dream. She chuckled at the thought. Inuyasha would probably tear out to find Sesshomaru with intentions of making him pay for invading her unconscious thoughts. He was likely going to wake up in a state of fury as it was.

Kagome shifted her eyes from the sleeping Inuyasha and looked out of the small window into the night. She missed her silent youkai. Where was he right now? Had he been successful in his battle? She could only pray that it was so, but if he were, then why had he not come for her? The questions were driving her crazy—the not knowing.

She felt so ignorant of him. She hardly knew anything about him at all. In fact, she knew more about Sesshomaru than she did her own lover. It was ridiculous when she thought about it that way. How could she explain her connection to him, her feelings for him? Why, she didn't even know his name.

But she knew his heart.

Or did she? Kagome relaxed her legs and stretched them out in front of her, crossing them at the ankles. Who was he, her silent lover? What was his name? He has to be someone that she knows or has met. It was the only explanation to his silence.

Someone that she knows...

Again, unbidden, Sesshomaru's face crept up into her mind. Could it be? Kagome had previously shrugged off the idea that her silent youkai could be the frigid ice prince. It was too fantastical to even consider, but here in the dead of night as she listened to the softly drawn breaths of her sleeping friend, Kagome allowed the forbidden thought to flourish. What if her silent youkai really was Lord Sesshomaru?

Just thinking it made her shiver. It took a considerable amount of imaginative coercion to conjure up the image of Sesshomaru as her silent lover. His arrogant high-and-mighty attitude was a vast barrier to overcome. Picturing him as attentive and doting was nearly impossible. Imagining him thrusting into her while vowing himself as hers was mind boggling. Did Lord Sesshomaru have that sort of passion? Could the ice be melted to leave behind an amazing, possessive lover?

She had to giggle at the idea. Just imagining it made her feel like she was committing a crime of mass proportions. Lord Sesshomaru hated Inuyasha because his mother was human. Their father had taken a mortal to his bed and produced a halfling son. Sesshomaru considered that a blight on his heritage because humans were considered beneath him. Inuyasha would feel horribly betrayed and Sesshomaru would probably be mortified to know that Kagome was picturing him as her lover.

It was a stupid idea. Wasn't it?

The candle sizzled and the flame grew minimally brighter before fading back to a solitary gleam of light. Kagome watched the flicker of it against the shadows and fought the urge to logically dismiss the crazy idea of Sesshomaru as being her lover. Maybe it was so crazy that it was true?

That was a very serious and very frightening thought. She tried to imagine what it would take for Sesshomaru to change so drastically from the stoic ice prince into a passionate and damaged lover. It would have to be a torment unlike no other. It would have to be something that shook his foundations and destroyed his illusions of grandeur—a sanity-shattering experience.

Suddenly, Kagome's wondering thoughts became focused and scary. She drew her knees up and wrapped her arms around them as she considered the possibility. Her youkai had been put through hell. She thought back to that unpleasant time and remembered his pain. He had suffered horribly at the hands of his captors. He had even been raped. Would such unimaginable violation alter the likes of Lord Sesshomaru?

Kagome gasped and shut her eyes tightly. 'By the Gods...that would change anybody. Why not Sesshomaru?' With an almost panic-like resolve Kagome pulled up recent memories and compared the two. According to Rin, an army had recently attacked Sesshomaru's castle—it was the reason that Jaken had sent her away. According to Madam Seto, Kagome's silent youkai had left her to go fight a battle for his home. Could the battles have been one and the same?

Her heart beat even faster. Her silent youkai had not been loving when they first met. He was angry and full of pain. She tried to imagine how a proud and fearless Sesshomaru would feel if he had been captured, tortured and raped. As hard as it was to picture the unbeatable taiyoukai in such a lowly position, Kagome could only come up with one answer. Sesshomaru would have been nearly mad with fury and in need for retribution. He would have been very much like her youkai had been in the beginning.

Panic was now coursing through her mind and body. Could it be? Could this crazy idea be true? 'Please don't let it be true.' She thought back to the battle so recently fought between the inu brothers. She looked beyond the obvious and tried to remember the minor details. The times in between the fighting. How had Sesshomaru looked at her? Had there been a clue that she had not seen?

It was so frustrating because, at the time, she was still blind. Her sight had been improved, but not enough to help. She remembered falling over Inuyasha's ravaged body and looking up to the pale, blurred vision of Lord Sesshomaru. Though she had not been able to see him clearly, she remembered the way that he had paused. He had reached out to snatch her out of his way so that he could finish off Inuyasha...or had he? When he reached out toward her, she saw only a threat, but could she have been wrong? Had it really been in regret?

"Oh Gods in Heaven..." Kagome murmured as the wild idea began to take root.

"Ka...gome?"

Inuyasha's broken voice snared her attention and Kagome jumped from the unexpected sound. Immediately she crawled to his side and grasped his much larger hand. "Inuyasha," Kagome soothed. "I'm here, just lie still. You were injured badly."

Inuyasha groaned and moved his free hand up to rub against his gut. Kagome quickly reached out to still his hand and fuss over the wound. "Stop that now. You could tear something loose."

Inuyasha blinked open his eyes, wincing at the faint light in his room. His stomach was burning on the inside, and he felt drained. "What happened..." he muttered, but then the memory came flooding back to him. Kagome jumped up to grab his shoulders when he suddenly moved to sit up. "Sesshomaru," he growled.

"Calm down, Inuyasha," Kagome urged, as she pushed against his unmoving chest. "Sesshomaru has gone."

She tried not to think of the implications left behind in his wake. Had she lashed out at Sesshomaru in anger and hatred, and actually been hurting her silent youkai? Had he come for her after all, but she sent him away with words of anger and loathing? She could hardly keep her mind straight and tears from her eyes. What if her crazy idea was true? What if she had spurned her lost lover?

"He better be—that rotten bastard," Inuyasha spat angrily, but groaned and grabbed his stomach when the movement upset his wound. Kagome gave a feminine growl of disapproval and pushed hard at his shoulders. "I mean it, Inuyasha, you have to lie down." Thankfully, he complied with her demand and settled back onto his sleeping mat. Kagome fussed with the blankets and offered him a sip of water, then settled back by his side.

"Go back to sleep, Inuyasha," Kagome urged. "Your body is healing, but it needs the rest. I'm glad that you are doing okay." Inuyasha grunted wearily and closed his eyes. He didn't say anything to Kagome; instead, he drifted back to sleep, leaving her alone with her new and terrifying thoughts.

++++++

Shin sat groggily upon the window frame and watched the miko carefully. She was acting rather strange. Her nightmare had awakened him from a pleasant dream, and he found that sleep was now evading him. He settled down when she took a seat by the sleeping half-breed's side and watched as an array of emotions played over her face.

Obviously the dream had upset her more than she let on. Her friend, the demon slayer had left to go back to her own hut while the fox slept in the other room. Shin's presence was all but forgotten in the aftermath of the miko's nightmare allowing him to view her unaware. At first she seemed relaxed if not contemplative, then something had changed. There was a shift in the air, one that alerted him to her growing distress. It was clear to him that Kagome was considering something painful and frightening. Her entire body had tensed up and she had released the strangest little whimper.

What was it that plagued the pretty priestess at this ungodly hour? He wondered if perhaps she relived her recent torment from the dungeon cell. She had been trapped there for many days. He had heard the one called Sango urging her to eat and regain her weight. Had she suffered terribly at the hands of the wicked? Shin would like to know. He had taken a liking to the priestess and did not wish to see her so terribly upset.

The tiny dragon had become considerably more concerned when he scented her growing panic and had just decided that it was time to intervene when the hanyou finally woke up.

It was about time. He had been out for quite a while and the women fussed over him horribly. Shin had to admit that he was a little jealous of Inuyasha for having the love and respect of those around him. He would have liked to have been so adored in his lifetime. The mortal man turned pixie-dragon considered his life up until then. At one time, he had been respected among his village, and a highly sought after suitor for the daughters of his tribesmen. He could have had his pick of the prettiest women. Hell, now he wasn't even human.

Shin's thoughts shifted to the smiling face of Rin and the tiny dragon sighed with regret. She was beautiful, though much too young for marriage. In a couple of years though, Rin would make a stunning bride. He imagined himself carrying her beyond the threshold of their sleeping chamber and lying her gently atop their marital bed. She would be magnificently naked and he would quickly join her.

Shin shook his tiny head to clear the image, sending the thin membranes running the length of his spine fluttering with motion. It was folly to dream of such things. He was not a man any longer. He was a dragon—a beast. The lovely young Rin would never want to marry a miniature beast. It was stupid of him to think so. She would probably marry a wealthy and solidly built man that could care for her as she deserved. Unless...she wed a youkai. Shin shivered at the thought.

Rin did not seem to see the differences between youkai and human. It was clear by the way that she fawned over the fox boy. In fact, a very dangerous and powerful demon lord protected her. Evidence of that was left behind when the taiyoukai had come to take her away. Shin had missed the whole thing—the fighting and the departure—because of the blasted hanyou. Had Inuyasha not locked him in the box, he would have been there to witness the demon lord's arrival.

It was clear by what was left behind—including one seriously wounded hanyou—that the demon protecting Rin should never be taken lightly. From what Shin had witnessed of youkai over the years, they were not to be trusted. If the one that injured Inuyasha was his very own brother, then it was obviously true. He was loath to fall in with such a dangerous fellow, but he would in order to stay with Rin.

Shin looked down at the sleeping half-breed and inwardly growled. It was his damned fault. Had Inuyasha not interfered when he had, Shin would have been there when Rin left with the demon. He could even be with her now. Sadly though, he had missed her departure and been left behind.

He considered trying to track her down, but then that would require him to traverse the forests alone. Shin hadn't been stupid as a human and he most certainly wasn't as a dragon, so that idea was out. Since the day that he was turned into a dragon, he had been locked somewhat safely inside a cage. To trek out into a world of dangerous giants and creepy hungry things would be insane. Shin resigned himself to his current fate and accepted that he would have to stay with Kagome and her friends for a time; however, one day he would reunite with the lovely young Rin. For Shin, that day could not come too soon.  


 

At just after dawn the following day....

Relieved to be leaving the Western Citadel behind, Uchuu climbed into the carriage with his lovely Sumiho. She smiled at him as he passed her within the close quarters and he returned it with a quick kiss that made her blush. Yumiko looked away from the tender moment and watched as Saburo climbed in behind him and then the footman shut the door.

As the carriage sped through the massive outer gate, Saburo reclined with a sigh. "Whew. I cannot say that I am not glad to be leaving that place."

Uchuu nodded in agreement, but made no comment. He watched out of the small window as the citadel was left behind. He was still in shock that Lord Sesshomaru was the same inuyoukai that had shared the dungeon with himself and the miko. It all made sense now. Most of his questions had been answered. It was obvious now why the inu had refused to give his name. It was also quite clear why Sesshomaru had not wished for Kagome to know anything about him.

Kagome's protector, Inuyasha, was Sesshomaru brother. During their time in the dungeon, Sesshomaru had said that she might recognize his voice. She most certainly would have had he spoke. It was most beneficial for Sesshomaru that she had been blind. Uchuu wondered if she were still that way. Her sight had been healing gradually during their time together, and he imagined that it had continued to do so. By now, Kagome could be completely healed. He certainly hoped so. It would be beneficial to add her, a miko, as an official ally.

Sesshomaru had assured him that Inuyasha would be swayed by the miko. Uchuu did not doubt that assessment at all. Kagome had a way about her that made a man want to be something better. She also had an inherent goodness deep within her soul and had vowed her life to extinguishing evil. Asuza and Iku were the epitome of evil. Uchuu was confident that Kagome would accept his offer and when she does, the half-breed Inuyasha would follow.

It was a shame that Sesshomaru and his brother were at odds. That was the only point that could drive them both away. Sesshomaru had relayed the status of their precarious relationship, revealing that he and Inuyasha were more enemy than kin. The taiyoukai had impressed upon him the need to garner their alliance before mentioning his own involvement. Obviously, he was concerned that Inuyasha would say no.

Though Sesshomaru had avoided his eyes when he spoke of Kagome, Uchuu had not been oblivious to the glimmer of longing in his voice. Sesshomaru missed Kagome, and the taiyoukai needed her by his side. So why were they not together? He wondered why Sesshomaru had not revealed the truth to her by now. Did he fear that her friendship with his hostile brother would forever keep them apart?

Uchuu turned his head from the passing scenery and put his hand out to gently graze Sumiho's soft cheek. She glanced up to him with a flush of awareness in her dark eyes. He could not imagine loving someone as much as he loved Sumiho and not being able to be by her side. After everything that Sesshomaru had suffered, he needed Kagome to help him heal. Uchuu knew how much it mattered because he had experienced it firsthand.

Memories of his wedding night came back to him, and Uchuu pulled Sumiho close. That night was amazing and filled with aching desire and unending need. He had come to her with no small amount of trepidation, highly aware of his recent shortcomings. His mutilated tail was a thing that shamed him greatly, and it had worried him that she would look away in disgust. The only thing that could have been worse than that would have been finding pity in her eyes.

Sumiho had surprised and comforted him that night. She took him in her arms and he found nothing but love and acceptance in her gaze. His misfortune had been an obstacle within his own mind, but Sumiho would not let it rule her heart. She had kissed the tip of his tortured tail and whispered of her love. He had never felt so much relief in all of his life.

Couldn't Sesshomaru see that he needed Kagome to help him work through his pain? Not as a crutch, but as a reliable source of untainted love. True, the demon was fierce and powerful, and while Uchuu was present, he gained a greater understanding of the reverence to which Sesshomaru's subjects paid him. The taiyoukai was a dignified and fearsome leader among his people. Unfortunately, the inu was suffering inside.

"How long until we arrive at our destination?" Saburo asked, cutting into Uchuu's thoughts.

"Lord Sesshomaru calculated our arrival at just after noon."

Sumiho cuddled up close and softly asked her husband a question that plagued her. "How is it that you know the demon lord? I was under the impression that you two had never met."

Uchuu grunted, feeling less jovial than usual and so less inclined to speak of his secrets. His answer was brief, "We fought a common enemy once." The monkey prince then fell silent in thought, and Sumiho did not continue to pry. She understood her husband's need for silence on occasion. He was deeply troubled in his heart, and she sensed that Lord Sesshomaru was involved somehow. She was curious about their unexpected acquaintance, but knew that Uchuu would reveal what he could in time.

She turned her attention from her brooding mate and studied the couple seated across from them. Yumiko and Saburo had been married on the same night as she and Uchuu, yet their relationship had not progressed much at all. She wondered why Lord Hyuuga had forced their union, but knew that the king had his reasons. She had learned quickly that Hyuuga was crafty and always planning things in the back of his mind. Apparently he thought that the joining of Saburo and Yumiko would be beneficial somehow.

From what she had witnessed, Saburo seemed to be attempting to make the transition easier on them both. Unfortunately, Yumiko was allowing her anger to stand in the way. Sumiho could hardly blame the woman for her feelings on the matter. Her own father had proclaimed that she would marry a village headman from the valley below their home. He had even gone so far as to invite the bounder into their home.

Sumiho winced as she remembered the disgusting way the man had stared at her while her father did not seem to care at all. He was only interested in making an alliance and bringing more fortune into his home. He did not care that his selfish desires would leave his daughter a miserable and ill-used woman.

Yumiko was lucky in the respect that Saburo was a handsome and youthful man. He seemed honorable and from what the gossiping clan members said, he had fought valiantly to keep Yumiko safe from the crazy witch, Asuza. Sumiho had caught Yumiko looking at Saburo when she thought that no one was aware. There was no disgust in her unusual emerald eyes, only quiet contemplation. Sumiho suspected that the young halfling only needed some time to adjust.

As the distance to Inuyasha's forest passed beneath the fast moving wheels, Sumiho began to consider ways that she could help the relationship along. Yumiko was young, perhaps her own age - even though she was half youkai. The two of them had grown closer on this journey, and she was sure that she could use their newfound friendship as her aid.

Perhaps all it would take is a well-placed word here and a little hint there? Maybe a discreet female discussion or two? From what Yumiko had implied, she and Saburo had not culminated their union as of yet, and Sumiho could only guess that the beautiful young half-breed was scared to do so. With a little help from her, maybe Sumiho could bring Yumiko around to accepting the affections of her husband. It would help to pass the time and work for the greater good.

Sumiho was startled from her thoughts when the carriage came to a sudden halt. "What the hell?" Uchuu snapped as he sat up from an interrupted nap. Immediately he sensed the danger and met the narrowed eyes of Saburo. "Do you feel that?"

"Of course I do," Saburo hissed. "My Lord," he added as an afterthought, forgetting momentarily who it was that he was speaking to. "Do you think that is him?"

Uchuu grunted and grabbed the hilt of his sword. "Not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say 'yes'. I do believe that we are about to get our first glimpse of Inuyasha."

Yumiko looked worriedly to her ladyship, Sumiho-sama. The human princess looked frightened to death, but determined to hide it. She had to admire the woman for her bravery. She wished that she could hide her fears so well. Right now her demon blood was crawling with the power of a foreign demon presence. It was not as strong as what she felt of Lord Sesshomaru or Lord Hyuuga, but it was nonetheless something that raised her hackles. Her instincts were screaming to run, or fight.

It was the human side of her that feared the confrontation. She could not forget about her new found friends—abandoning them to their fate. She suppressed the primitive instinct to flee and then dealt with the impulse to fight. Logic was a much more advantageous tool. Yumiko knew that what was approaching their carriage was more powerful than she was. Yumiko was also aware that she would not have to face this alone.

She looked first to her husband, Saburo, and found him watching her with anxious eyes. "You will stay in the carriage with Lady Sumiho. Prince Uchuu and I will take care of this."

'Why did he have to ruin the moment?,' Yumiko wondered incredulously. The suddenly gallant notion of her new husband had been quickly crushed beneath the weight of his arrogance. She opened her mouth to speak her mind, to inform him that she did not appreciate being ordered around, but a soft, gentle hand distracted her. Yumiko looked away from Saburo's stern face and met the pleading eyes of the princess.

"Please stay with me, Yumiko-san."

Yumiko could hardly say no to that. She immediately nodded her head and replied, "Of course I will."

Sumiho gave an inward smile upon managing to divert the couple from an unnecessary fight, but she didn't allow it to show on her face. It really wasn't a difficult feat since she was scared half out of her wits. Uchuu was acting aggressively and Saburo as well. It was obvious that they were concerned about a threat and that could mean a fight. She was frightened half out of her mind for Uchuu. She couldn't stop thinking about the first time that she saw him after the battle.

Uchuu had been unconscious with a terrible wound in his mid-section. Had he been human, she was positive that he would not have survived. In fact, when Sumiho got her first glimpse of his wounds she nearly became sick to her stomach. She remembered pulling the sheet down and being torn between the horror of his freshly gaping wound and the blunt end of his defaced tail. It was the most traumatizing moment of her life to realize what horrors her rogue prince had faced—the pain that he had suffered.

It was no wonder she was petrified for her husband's fate. Sumiho loved Uchuu beyond measure, and she never wanted him to be hurt again.

Uchuu stood in front with Saburo battle ready just behind. Two of his troops took up Saburo's rear while two more guarded Sumiho and Yumiko in the carriage. Their wait was short as the object of their concern soon came crashing angrily through the trees. Uchuu took in the red-clad figure of the half-demon and knew without a doubt that this had to be Inuyasha. The hair was nearly the same color as Sesshomaru's, yet it appeared to carry more of a silver tone. It was the eyes that truly gave him away. Inuyasha's eyes were nearly the same unusual golden tone as that of his brother’s. It was clear to Uchuu that this was the hanyou that he sought to make an ally.

"What the hell are you doing in my territory?" Inuyasha growled as he pulled Tetsusaiga. He watched the stranger's eyes follow his hand and then focus on the sword as it transformed. He narrowed his eyes with the promise of death and waited for them to explain. If they didn't, then they would die.  


 

A/N: I hope that you enjoyed the chapter! So what will happen between Inuyasha and Uchuu? Will they battle or will they accept one another as friends? How is Kagome going to handle her new suspicions of Sesshomaru? Check the next update to find out!

A Super Special Thanks to Risa, my beta, for the wonderful editing job! Folks, she has worked double time on this chapter and the last while suffering with recent neck and shoulder pain. She's a real trooper and I couldn't put out this kind of quality work without her. So when reviewing, please don't forget to send her a word of appreciation as well.