InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 27 - Enlightenment ( Chapter 27 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I do this for free. I'm not affiliated with Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha, and only write free fanfiction for my love of twisting her character's to my dark, demented will. May the smut live on.

 

Chapter 27 - Enlightenment

A/N: First let me thank all of you out there that took the time to review. I can't tell you how much I love to read your thoughts and feelings about each chapter addition. It is like receiving a special gift every single time I see that someone has added a review.

Now, please forgive me for the lateness of this chapter addition. My husband's mother passed away after a very short illness and as anyone that has dealt with the death of a loved one knows, it is an emotionally draining experience that wears on the family in many ways including time. She was a unique woman and we will all miss her, but rest assured that her final hours were not good ones, and her passing was a relief not only for her but for her family as well. Peace at last and no more suffering.

Enough of that. Now, on with 'Violation of Honor'....  


 

"You must be Inuyasha." Uchuu proclaimed.

Inuyasha wasn't surprised that the monkey knew his name. Lots of people did. "What of it?"

Uchuu chuckled at the pup's gruff answer then asked, "Is Kagome near?" He was rather surprised when dark energy began to swirl menacingly around the blade. It was suddenly clear where the heavy demonic aura was coming from. At first he thought that it was the hanyou himself, but now he realized that much of the power they felt upon their approach was from the sword that he possessed. His thoughts were abruptly cut off when Inuyasha released his aggression without warning, and Uchuu was barely able to avoid the unexpected blow.

"What the fuck do you want with Kagome?" Inuyasha questioned as he swiftly pulled back his sword and readied another strike.

"Easy, Inuyasha!" Uchuu cried as he flipped to the side, landing on his feet. Quickly he added, "I am Uchuu of the Snow Monkey Clan! Kagome is my..." Uchuu remembered one of the only warm moments that he spent in the dungeon cell. Kagome had been so upset by his suffering that she cried for him. When he asked her why, she replied "Because it hurts me when my friends are in pain." Kagome had called him 'friend' and he had accepted her bright offer amongst the darkness. With a confident voice, Uchuu finished his shout. "...Friend! Kagome is my friend!"

Inuyasha's sword halted in mid-downward stroke, but he did not sheath his weapon. "Friends, huh?" He huffed and then spat on the ground. This was no surprise to Inuyasha; Kagome was always picking up strays—hell, he was one of them. He could hardly forget Kagome's recent tales of Uchuu, the macaque. He also couldn't ignore that the monkey had treated Kagome kindly, even helping her to escape, but there was one problem that he couldn't quite set aside; Uchuu and his entourage reeked of Sesshomaru.

Why? That was the question on Inuyasha's mind. 'What the hell does the monkey have to do with Sesshomaru?' Never being one to beat around the bush, Inuyasha came right out and asked, "Before I take you to see Kagome, I think you better tell me why you stink of Sesshomaru." His half-brother's name came out in a growl that clearly announced his dislike. The monkey seemed surprised at the question, almost wincing at the mention of Sesshomaru, causing Inuyasha's curiosity to grow.

Behind Uchuu stood a slender youkai male dressed in shiny armor indicative of an upper guardsman. Inuyasha figured him to be some sort of body guard to the monkey, but why the hell a wolf would be guarding a monkey he had no idea and didn't really care—as long as the asshole stayed right where he was. There were two more soldiers just behind that one and another pair guarding the strange conveyance. Inside of it, Inuyasha smelled a female human or maybe two. He wasn't sure about the second female yet. He sensed jyaki, but it wasn't strong, leaving him to suspect a half-demon like him.

Uchuu couldn't believe his bad luck. He hadn't counted on the mutt catching Sesshomaru's scent so quickly. 'How the hell am I going to get a chance to speak to Kagome now?' With a lopsided grin, Uchuu sighed. "Damn. That nose of yours is pretty good. You can still smell him, huh?"

Inuyasha only narrowed his eyes further and motioned dangerously with his sword. "Ya' damned right I smell his stench, and I want to know why he sent you here." The last time he saw Sesshomaru, the bastard was putting a poison claw through his gut. The memory of it was still burning strong in his mind and the very real pain of it had not completely gone. Inuyasha couldn't figure out the connection between the monkey and Sesshomaru, but he damned sure didn't like it.

Uchuu knew that his chances to sway Inuyasha to his cause would be ruined if he revealed Sesshomaru's role as an ally before speaking with Kagome. He had to take his chances and demand to speak with her first. Uchuu called upon many years of regal authority that he possessed—but rarely used—and ordered, "Step aside, Inuyasha. I have business with Lady Kagome."

"You'll speak to Kagome when I say you will!" Inuyasha shouted while simultaneously drawing his sword back, producing a lightening slash through the air.

The strike came at him without warning, but Uchuu was prepared for the outburst and met the heavy power of Inuyasha's sword with a block from his own 'Kiba Shokkingu'. The shock of his tusk against the raw power of Tetsusaiga was enough to cause both men to grunt from the contained force of the electrifying blow. Inuyasha growled and shoved hard, finally pushing him away. Uchuu rounded out the momentum of the force, using it in a spinning move that arced through the air, and ultimately ending in a slash aimed for Inuyasha's exposed throat.

Inuyasha was impressed with the monkey's moves. The mid-air blast had come at him with fluid grace, but Inuyasha was a quick study and through the seemingly perfect motion, he noticed that the monkey's balance was slightly off center. Obviously, Uchuu had not adjusted to the stunted length of his tail. Inuyasha blocked the blow that could have ended his life with a nasty gash to the throat. He countered with a hard jab of his elbow up into Uchuu's ribs that resulted in a satisfying grunt of pain. Unfortunately, Uchuu recovered too damned fast and returned the favor by biting him on the fucking arm!

"God damned monkey!" Inuyasha shouted as he jumped back. He took a quick look down at the bleeding wound then back to his opponent. "You're gonna pay for that, asshole!"

Uchuu leaned over slightly, making a show of spitting Inuyasha's blood from his mouth. He then grinned, baring his soiled fangs. "Yeah? Well, come and get me, pup."

The Wind Scar began to build with minimal thought from its master. Inuyasha was one with his sword and his fury was now manifesting through the terrible demonic swirling of the dark winds winding around his blade. He felt a moment of satisfaction as Uchuu's cold blue eyes widened in surprise before he lifted Tetsusaiga in preparation to release the full blast of power on his newest enemy.

"INUYASHA!!! SIT BOY!!!"

The sound of Kagome's voice rang from above and Inuyasha felt the awful spell of the subjugation beads around his neck flare to life sending him face first into the ground.

Uchuu couldn't believe his eyes! At Kagome's command Inuyasha was brought to heal in a very dramatic manner. Uchuu immediately looked up to wave at her but the sight that greeted him sent his stomach leaping into his throat. The miko was sitting astride a demon firecat and she held an angry look of determination on her face as she released a flaming pink arrow of purification directly at him!

Saburo had taken in the entire scene like an entranced spectator right up to the moment that his sovereign lord was in grave danger of being purified out of existence. He reacted with lightening speed, barreling forward and tackling Uchuu from behind with enough force to send them both rolling hard to the ground. The arrow that would have killed Uchuu then plunged into the well-worn road harmlessly where his lord had stood moments before.

They each scrambled to their feet, but just as quickly, a massive weapon came flying at them from the trees followed by a feminine shout of "Hiraikotsu!". This time it was Uchuu that saved their necks by shoving Saburo hard to the ground. The boomerang swept overhead, arcing around before returning to its taijia mistress.

Uchuu's troops were quick to come to their defense, surrounding him and Saburo until they could get their bearings, but this was not what the new ambassador wanted at all. He had come here to speak to Kagome in hopes to gain an ally—not add to his list of enemies. This had to stop!

"Kagome!!! Please! It is I, Uchuu!"

Kagome was drawing back on a second arrow when a very familiar voice unexpectedly called out her name. 'Could it be?' She released the tension on her bowstring and shouted down, "Uchuu, is that really you?"

"Yes! Please call off your friends! I wish to speak to you!"

"Uchuu!" Kagome shouted happily. She then realized that she had almost killed her friend and, as an after-thought, shouted down with an embarrassing blush, "Sorry about that!" Kagome quickly turned to everyone below, even spotting Miroku and Shippo approaching from the far end of the village. She leaned in to Kirara and soothed her big firecat friend with a stroke to her luxuriously thick fur. "It's okay Kirara, they are friends. Make a low pass so that I can tell the others."

Kirara was quick to comply, and Kagome gave her friends the signal that all was well before returning to the sight of Inuyasha's grumbling and grounded form. They landed nearby, and she slid from Kirara's back giving a word of assurance that resulted in Kirara's transformation before the small feline scurried off to hop onto Sango's shoulder.

"Why, Kagome? Why'd you do it? That asshole deserved everything he got!" Inuyasha griped through a mouthful of dirt before he spat it on the ground.

Kagome growled angrily and stomped her foot at the dusty, red-clad figure trying desperately to pull himself up from the ground. "You know why, Inuyasha! We have all been worried sick over you for days! You have been unconscious until last night and you have no business out here picking a fight when you are not completely healed!"

"You stupid woman! How many times do I have to tell you! I'm not like you. My body heals faster than yours!" Inuyasha grunted, finally able to sit up and give Kagome the full extent of an angry amber glare. "I told you I'm fine now!"

"Besides that nasty bite on your arm," Uchuu added with a panting sneer toward his equally worn-out opponent.

Inuyasha was quick to leap from the settling dust into a defensive stance, eager once again to engage Uchuu in a fight.

"Don't make me say it again!" Kagome warned in a voice nearly boiling with anger.

Suddenly, a large pink ball that had, until that moment, been hovering silently above the group, 'popped' and Shippo landed gracefully on the ground. "If I were you Inuyasha, I would keep my mouth shut."

Miroku walked up next to Shippo and nodded knowingly. "I must agree with Shippo, Inuyasha. Kagome has been very worried over you. It is a complete disregard of her feelings to rush out into a needless battle."

"Needless!" Inuyasha yelled in his defense. "Somebody's got to protect this village!"

"Knock it off, Inuyasha," Sango scolded as she joined Kagome. "You know we could have handled any threat."

"Oh yeah?" Inuyasha growled back angrily.

"Can it, Inuyasha!" Kagome practically screamed. "I am sick of your excuses!"

While the group of old friends and comrades fought amongst themselves, Uchuu and his entourage listened and watched with a mixture of humor and amazement. Yumiko and Sumiho had finally come out of the carriage to join their husbands and even the soldiers were shaking their heads at the bizarre behavior of the strangers. It seemed as if they had completely forgotten their presence.

Suddenly, Kagome shook her head at Inuyasha and stated firmly, "That's it, Inuyasha. I'm not arguing about this anymore." She then turned away from her friend and the angry scowl on her face transformed into a brilliant smile as her big blue eyes fell upon Uchuu. "It's really you! Oh Uchuu, I'm so happy that you've come." She held out her hands and Uchuu stepped away from his wife and graciously enveloped them in his own.

"By the Gods, Kagome, it is good to see you again, and I am glad to see that your sight has returned."

Kagome nodded and blushed lightly. "It's good to see you...finally, and thanks. You know, I'm really sorry about the arrow earlier. I didn't recognize you."

Uchuu chuckled. "I must admit that it was not at all what I envisioned of our reunion."

Kagome laughed and looked over her shoulder. "Please, let me introduce you to my friends." She released his much larger hands and walked over to stand beside Inuyasha. "As you know already, this is Inuyasha. I hope that you can forgive his hasty actions." When Inuyasha growled and began to bark out a protest, Kagome cut him off by stomping on his foot. He released a sharp yelp, but shut his mouth and let her continue. She walked over to the others and said, "You've heard me talk about them all, but now you can meet them in person. This is Shippo, Miroku, Sango, and Kirara."

Uchuu nodded respectfully to each of Kagome's friends, but smiled when she introduced the demon slayer. "Ah yes, the 'sister' taijiya. I must say, Lady Sango, that your weapon is most formidable. It damned near took off my head."

Sango blushed and pulled her massive boomerang up higher upon her shoulder. "Yeah, sorry about that."

Uchuu chuckled. "No problem. My head is still attached thanks to Saburo here. Folks, I would like to introduce my personal guard." Uchuu patted Saburo firmly on his shoulder. "Without Saburo, I'm afraid Lady Sango might have added another youkai life to her tally."

Sango was quick to shake her head and add, "Oh, but I quit counting long ago."

Everyone laughed and Uchuu silently thought himself lucky to have escaped by the skin of his neck. He reached out and took his lovely wife in his arms and pulled her up beside of him. "I would like to introduce my beautiful new wife, Lady Sumiho."

Kagome squealed and her feet pranced happily as she clapped her hands. "I am so happy for you both! That is wonderful news." She reached out and took Sumiho's hand warmly. "I have heard so much about you. I could tell that Uchuu-kun loves you very much!"

Sumiho turned a brilliant shade of red but smiled warmly in return. She decided that she liked this woman named Kagome very much. Her open attitude and air of sweet acceptance made it hard not too. She had been worried when she heard the battle going on outside of the carriage and her fear doubled as soon as she looked out of the small window to witness Uchuu nearly being hit by a purifying arrow.

Miko's were not known to be friendly with youkai, but this one had turned out to be her husband's friend from that awful time he spent in the dungeon. She was thankful that the young woman had recognized Uchuu when she had or none of them might have survived the encounter. "Thank you, Kagome-sama. It is a great pleasure to meet you at last."

Uchuu then turned to Yumiko who had, until then, been standing silently behind Sumiho. "This is Yumiko-san, she is the new wife of Saburo." Yumiko looked somewhat wary but bowed respectfully to the group. Saburo then stepped up beside his young wife and possessively placed his arm around her waist. Uchuu wondered if it was because the strange monk named Miroku seemed to be finding the half-demon unusually interesting. He recalled Kagome's tales of the monk's wondering hands and hoped that the idiot wouldn't temp fate by pushing his luck against Saburo.

After a quick introduction of Uchuu's remaining guardsmen, Kagome invited them back to the village for tea and refreshments. She ignored Inuyasha's grumbling protest and together they all walked the distance to her home. After settling everyone in, Sango brought in the tea and Kagome poured a refreshing cup for everyone. Shippo brought in a bowl of small sweet rice balls and a few of the newcomers took one. Miroku stoked the dying embers in the fire pit adding a few pieces of oak to ward off the growing chill of the late afternoon, and although Inuyasha was ready to go hunt for their evening meal, he instead stayed by Kagome's side. No way was he leaving her with those assholes.

Shippo was propped against the far wall of the cabin watching the interaction between Kagome and the monkey. Obviously, Uchuu was royalty within his clan, but he didn't seem to put on the 'airs' of most other aristocrats that he had met in the past and for that he was grateful. He also seemed to truly care for Kagome and looked comfortable in her presence while Kagome was the same. The rest of the group still seemed slightly on edge, especially the guardsmen, but he figured that was part of their job.

The half-demon woman twitched in her seat, back straight and delicate pointed ears atop her head clearly alert. She was the most unusual one of the group and Shippo was dying to know more about her, but the main question on his mind was why they all smelled like Sesshomaru. It was driving him crazy listening to them all babbling about this and that while all he wanted was to ask if they had seen Rin and how she was doing. He suspected that Sesshomaru's scent was also the reason that Inuyasha attacked the group without provocation, but he wasn't going to ask and get the half-demon all riled up again.

Inuyasha listened with a look of disinterest as Kagome and Uchuu began recounting the moments of their escape from the dungeon. To anyone that may have glanced in his direction, it would have appeared that the dog-eared half-demon couldn't have cared less what was being said, but in truth, Inuyasha was listening intently to the excited banter between the miko and macaque youkai. Inuyasha was surprised at the level of violence that his Kagome had been put through in those final moments before their escape, but his main concern at the moment was the other youkai.

There were details being told that Kagome had not mentioned before; interesting things that could have been attributed to her blindness—or had she simply omitted the details intentionally? Was Kagome keeping something from him? For the first time since her return, Inuyasha began to wonder about her true involvement with the mystery demon that helped her escape. The damned guy had carried her on his back and that alone was enough to make Inuyasha's blood boil, but he soothed the stir of anger with the knowledge that it had been necessary. Kagome had been blinded and would have slowed them down otherwise. Unfortunately, Inuyasha couldn't quite dismiss his wariness completely. He was left to wonder why Uchuu had not carried her instead.

Why, if Kagome and Uchuu were friends, had the nameless youkai carried Kagome?

The questions continued to accumulate as he silently listened. Uchuu mentioned a moment during the battle when the youkai had lashed out, as if he possessed some form of power; one that had not materialized as he had expected. Uchuu laughed it off with admiration for the way the guy quickly recovered his surprise when Uchuu jumped ahead of them and finishing off the enemy with extended claws. Kagome retold the moment that the three of them had finally blasted through the main door of the castle, only to be shot at by human firearms. Inuyasha felt his stomach tie up in knots as she recounted how closely the bullets had whizzed passed her head. There again the nameless youkai protected her by taking the slugs himself and ultimately saving her from harm.

It was during the retelling of the moment that Uchuu and Kagome had parted ways when Inuyasha began to suspect that something much more disturbing might have occurred between the youkai and his cherished friend. Kagome trailed off from the story with a vague description of her journey that somehow ended at the village of YoKaishi. The details of her trip from the moment that Uchuu left her company were lax. She didn't mention stopping for the night or obtaining needed supplies. Inuyasha couldn't help feeling like she was deliberately leaving stuff out.

But why?

'Why would Kagome hide details of her time alone with that youkai?' Inuyasha silently wondered with growing frustration. He opened his eyes and noticed an unusual look on Sango's face. Was that a smirk? 'Damn! Those two women are always gabbing about girl stuff. Does Sango know something that I don't?' Inuyasha vowed right then to catch her alone later and find out.

When Uchuu finished telling them about his run-in with Asuza and her army, Inuyasha's patience was at an end. The monkey still had not answered his first question and he had not forgotten it by far. "Feh, so now you can tell me what the hell I really want know, monkey. You said you wanted to talk to Kagome first. Well, you've talked. Now, tell me what the fuck you were doing with Sesshomaru before you came here."

Kagome gasped at the unexpected mention of Sesshomaru and turned a questioning look toward Inuyasha but found him solely focused on gaining his answer from Uchuu. When her newest friend cleared his throat uncomfortably, she began to feel a tightening of anticipation grow in her stomach. What was Inuyasha talking about? Did Uchuu really know Sesshomaru? Considering her recent concerns and suspicions, the implications of a connection between Uchuu and Sesshomaru left her feeling positively light-headed.

Noticing that her friend suddenly seemed to have gone a little pale, Sango leaned over and placed a gentle hand on Kagome's shoulder. "Are you okay, Kagome-chan?" Sango quietly asked.

Kagome was forced to push the feeling of panic aside and face her friend, who had inadvertently drawn the attention of the entire group. Kagome nodded her head and gave a weak smile that she hoped would quell Sango's sudden concern for her obviously ashen pallor. Sango seemed to consider her answer but released her nonetheless to sit back and return her attention to Uchuu. A quick glance from the corner of her eye proved that Inuyasha had not missed the episode, and Kagome feared that she would have to come up with an explanation later. He wasn't likely to leave such an incident alone.

As an attempt to divert the sudden and unwanted attention, Kagome turned to Uchuu and asked, "What does Inuyasha mean, Uchuu-kun? Have you seen Lord Sesshomaru?"

Uchuu felt the comforting hand of his wife squeezing his arm, and he offered her a reassuring smile. He had hoped to bring this up himself, but obviously Inuyasha was not going to give him the chance. It was now or never. During their short skirmish, Uchuu had witnessed a taste of Inuyasha's power and the skill of his fighting comrades. Sesshomaru had been correct in sending him to them for assistance and it was up to him to convince them to help.

He took a deep breath and answered Inuyasha's question as truthfully as he was able. "As you all know, the demoness, Asuza is bent on a violent mission to take over the lands of her past enemies. She has already claimed the lands of the east by ruthlessly killing the eastern lord and his family. Her remaining goal is to take over the North, which has been held for endless centuries by the Clan Macaque, as well as the lands of the West, held by Lord Sesshomaru. Her control of the strange amulet that she wears around her neck makes her nearly invincible..."

Inuyasha cut Uchuu off with a "Feh, I doubt that."

Uchuu gave them all a grave look and continued, "It's true. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. She has the power to control minds. She used it against my brother, Lord Hyuuga, King of the monkey clan, and she will use it against you if you go against her." He ignored Inuyasha's snort of disbelief and relayed his mission. "My king has sent me as ambassador to gather allies to fight against Asuza. We need strong warriors to go against her. Her power is too strong to attempt this alone and despite my brother's pride, he accepts this fact. Although Hyuuga and Sesshomaru are virtually enemies, he sent me to your brother to request his aid."

"Half-brother," Inuyasha quickly corrected.

Uchuu ignored Inuyasha and turned to focus on convincing Kagome. He had a feeling that she was the only way that he would get Inuyasha to agree. "You know how evil she is, Kagome. Unfortunately, you've witnessed her minion's twisted regard. If her reign of terror spreads over these lands, there will be nothing standing in her way of complete domination. We have to stop the bitch before it's too late!"

Kagome was considering the significance of Uchuu's words when Inuyasha interrupted with a snarl. "So what was his answer? I can't imagine Sesshomaru bothering to ally himself with the likes of you. That bastard thinks he's a god. If he wants to fight Asuza, Sesshomaru would most likely go after her all by himself."

"That would be a big fucking mistake," Uchuu answered with the utmost honesty. In fact, Inuyasha couldn't begin to understand how much of a mistake it had been for the demon lord who had done exactly that. "Lord Sesshomaru has agreed to an alliance."

The group gave a collective gasp of surprise, never having expected Lord Sesshomaru to agree. Inuyasha snorted as if it didn't really concern him one way or the other, but in truth, he was shocked. 'Is Asuza really that powerful or did Sesshomaru agree for some other purpose?' Either way, it didn't matter one way or another to him. "This ain't my fight. She's not after me and as long as she stays out of my way I don't give a fuck what she does."

Kagome turned angry eyes on Inuyasha. "How can you say that? She's an evil youkai!"

Miroku cleared his throat. After listening to everything that the monkey prince had to say, he decided that it would be in the overall best interest to reason with Inuyasha. "Inuyasha, let's not be hasty. I think that if the demoness is causing such turmoil over the lands then we should consider this more carefully."

Sango was quick to agree. "Yes, Inuyasha. Who is to say that she will stop after taking the North and South? Will she be satisfied with that? It sounds to me like she is just another power hungry youkai out there harming innocents."

"You call Sesshomaru innocent?" Inuyasha growled angrily. "I don't give a rat's ass if she takes his lands!"

Kagome gave Inuyasha a narrow, angry glare, "How can you be so selfish, Inuyasha? It's not just Sesshomaru that we have to think of. Uchuu's clan is in danger, too. Asuza is in league with Oda Nobunaga and together they could literally take over Japan! The last thing we need is a crazy she-demon in control of the whole country."

Shippo watched and listened intently as his friends debated the issue while Inuyasha stubbornly refused to become involved. He suspected that it had more to do with Sesshomaru’s agreement to an alliance than anything else, and knowing Inuyasha's pride, it would be hard to change his mind. If they wanted Inuyasha to join the fight against Asuza, they would have to hit him where it hurts.

"Besides, Inuyasha, don't forget what they did to Kagome."

Inuyasha's bull-headed look quickly turned to pinched contemplation. Shippo knew that he had Inuyasha's attention and it was time to lure him in. "They starved her and—from what Uchuu told us—that demon, Iku, is still out to get her. Don't you want to protect Kagome?!"

Shippo was forced to hide a smirk of satisfaction when Inuyasha leapt to his feet with a growl. "Nobody threatens Kagome and gets away with it!"

Kagome sent Shippo a knowing smile of satisfaction and clapped her hands twice. "It's settled then! You can count on us to help."

Uchuu gave a broad smile and said, "Great!"

Inuyasha gave a grunt as the reality of what had just occurred began to settle in. He didn't like joining forces. Hell, he could kick the bitch's ass all on his own. He didn't like the damned monkey and he sure as fuck didn't like Sesshomaru. Somehow he had managed to be wrangled into fighting with them instead of against them and that really pissed him off. He sauntered over to stand with cocky arrogance in front of Uchuu. He needed to make a couple of things clear and now was the perfect time. "Keh, when this shit's over, all bets are off with you and Sesshomaru. I'm gonna kill that bastard and if you don't stay out of my way, I'll kill you too."

Uchuu opened his mouth to snap out a reply, but Sumiho was quick to grab his hand. He looked away from the inu-punk and met the soft eyes of his wife. She shook her head with a pleading look and it took all of Uchuu's control to leash the outburst that threatened to spill. It would have been a mistake to risk losing the alliance that he had so recently made. For the sake of his clan he would have to keep his mouth shut...for now.

Saburo, who had been quietly listening to the group discussion, decided that now would be the perfect time to mention the talents of his lovely young wife. "As our allies, you should all be aware that we have a secret weapon against Asuza's mind control."

Inuyasha turned away from Uchuu's scowling face and raised a dark brow. "Oh yeah? What's that?"

Yumiko stepped forward a little shyly and said, "Me."

"You?" Inuyasha scoffed. "What can you do? You're just a girl."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome and Sango yelled causing the half-demon to wince at his mistake.

From just over Shippo's shoulder, Shin sat perched upon a woven tapestry while silently listening to the group talk of going into battle. Inuyasha's remark about the female hanyou had not garnered the baka much favor, and Shin took the opportunity to speak his mind. "Dumb dog. I can only imagine that you constantly carry a foul taste in your mouth since the shit that comes out of it is always so thick and putrid."

"What was that you little squirt?" Inuyasha growled angrily as he stalked over toward the tiny dragon. The demons and humans in the room had not noticed the little dragon until that moment, and they each stood in fascination watching as the scene played out.

"I'll squeeze you until your eyes pop!" Inuyasha snarled before he reached out to swipe the tiny beast from his perch. Unfortunately, he wasn't quite as quick as Shippo, who plucked Shin from imminent danger and settled him on his shoulder.

"Shut it, Shin, before Inuyasha makes dragon soup out of you," Shippo scolded while easily dodging a swipe of Inuyasha's claws.

"Well, it is true," Shin added, unable to resist taunting the half-breed, though he was surprised Shippo was the one to come to his rescue.

"Why you!" Inuyasha barked as he attempted another swipe at the offending creature perched arrogantly on Shippo's shoulder.

Kagome rolled her eyes and sighed deeply. This was beginning to grate on her nerves. "Inuyasha, Shin, both of you settle down! We would all like to hear what Yumiko-san has to say."

Reluctantly Inuyasha gave up on his small quarry and gave his attention back to the girl. "So spill it. What's your power?"

Yumiko was very uncomfortable discussing such a private matter openly with the large group of people, especially ones that she had only just met. For years she was told that her power was a bad thing and that the mere fact that she had it could endanger her life. Within her village she had only practiced it in the privacy of her father's small hut and used it against an actual enemy three or four times. Now she was expected to openly reveal everything to these new people.

Slowly looking around at the faces awaiting her answer, Yumiko felt slightly more comforted. She was sure that the priestess was a kind soul and though the demon slayer was scary, the woman seemed to have an understanding heart. The monk looked wise beyond his years and the young fox appeared to be dedicated solely to his friends. Something told her to trust these people and that she would never regret her decision.

With a nod of her head, Yumiko began her story. She told them of her life and her power. They listened quietly and she never once detected scorn or fear on their faces. In fact, when she spoke of her attempt to save King Hyuuga, she was sure that there was admiration in their eyes.

When Yumiko finished revealing her secret, Kagome stood up and walked over to her. "You must have been terrified. You have my promise that if we need you to go against Asuza, then we will do everything in our power to protect you during the battle."

Yumiko smiled at the miko's warm offer of protection. "Arigatou gozaimasu, Kagome-sama."

As the group filed out of Kagome's home to get some fresh air and attend to the arrangements for the evening meal, Kagome pulled Uchuu to the side. "Can I talk to you a minute?"

"Sure, Kagome. What's bothering you?"

Kagome shook her head. "Not here." Uchuu nodded and whispered his intentions to his wife. Sumiho was understanding and smiled warmly, and Uchuu responded by giving her a swift affectionate kiss on the cheek. He then followed Kagome after waving his guardsmen away, even though they did not appear to be happy about it. She led him further out of the village and then down a path that finally opened into a clearing.

The light from the sun was beginning to fade, causing the dry grasses of the meadow to appear gold in the dimming light. Uchuu thought that it was a welcome but solitary place and was silently wondering why Kagome brought him there when she walked over to an old wooden structure that Uchuu quickly recognized as an abandoned well.

Kagome settled down in the familiar nook of her favorite thinking spot and patted the dead grass next to her. Once Uchuu had settled, she leaned back and sighed. "Uchuu-kun, I have some questions that I need to ask you."

Uchuu sighed heavily and prepared himself. He knew that this moment would come, but he still wasn't quite sure what to say. He owed it to Sesshomaru to keep the white dog's secret, but as a friend, it would be hard to keep everything from Kagome.

"I want to know about him." Kagome looked away from the setting sun and gave Uchuu a pleading look. "I need to know who he really is."

"By 'he', I take it that you are referring to our companion back in the dungeon?"

Kagome huffed. "You know that I am. I can't stand the not knowing. Everywhere I look, I see him. I am constantly wondering if it was this youkai or that one. It's driving me crazy. I have to know."

"It's not that easy, Kagome. You know that I would tell you if I could."

"But you can't."

Uchuu sighed dejectedly. He wanted to tell her so badly. He wanted to bring Kagome and Sesshomaru together once and for all, but it was not his place. Sesshomaru had to come to her of his own accord. "No, Kagome, I cannot. I have been sworn to secrecy." Her gloomy look made him feel like an ass, and he wished that he could do something to make her feel better, but then she surprised him by saying, "I'm really not surprised. I figured you wouldn't tell me. Besides, I have my suspicions—as crazy as they might be—and your visit today only strengthened them. If he is the one that I think he is, then I can understand your reluctance to tell me."

Uchuu's blue eyes were wide with astonishment. 'Does she know?' He looked for some sign to confirm that Kagome had guessed correctly, but she effectively kept the secret to herself. "Can you tell me who it is that you suspect?"

Kagome gave a half-hearted laugh that was drenched with sadness. "No, but if I am right about this, then things are going to get very complicated for me in the near future."

Uchuu leaned back more comfortably against the wall of the old well and watched as the brilliant colors of the evening sky slowly melted away. With a shake of his head, Uchuu offered a little sagely advice. "Keep your chin up Kagome-san. Things aren't always as bad as they seem."

Kagome closed her eyes and released a deep, resigned sigh. "No, if I'm right, then they are much worse."  


 

Sesshomaru listened from the next room as Rin administered a soothing potion to the aching joints of an elderly youkai named Chiyoko. "You should take better care of yourself, Chiyoko-sama," Rin admonished. "Why don't you let one of your grandchildren lift those heavy crates?"

"Pah! Those children are useless! They want nothing to do with real work," old Chiyoko grumbled.

"That is not true, grandmother," young Emi said with a smile. "You are simply impatient, and do not wish to wait for us to help."

Rin 'tsked' at the elder youkai as the ancient woman continued to mumble beneath her breath. "This salve will soothe the pulled muscle in your shoulder, Chiyoko-sama, and together with your healing abilities, you should be back to normal real soon."

"My old blood doesn't heal like it used to," Chiyoko continued to complain, but Rin ignored her cranky attitude and helped the old woman settle her clothing back in place. Sesshomaru could hear Rin gathering her supplies together, and he prepared for them to take their leave. When she reached the door, she turned back with a respectful bow to her elder. "I will bring you a nice bowl of miso soup for supper, Chiyoko-sama. I know that is your favorite and maybe that will make you feel better."

"Such a sweet, thoughtful child you are, Rin-chan!" Chiyoko called as Rin waved goodbye. She then followed Sesshomaru out into the village square and down the main street.

"Just one more stop, Sesshomaru-sama, and that will be all for the day."

Sesshomaru did not reply; he simply nodded and allowed Rin to lead the way. He followed her around the corner and back toward the barracks where his soldiers took their rest. There were several men walking by as they passed and each of them was quick to go down to their knee in respect of their passing lord. Rin cheerfully waved to each of them and even spoke a couple of their names.

At the back of one long hut, Rin paused and knocked on the wall beside of a mat covered opening. From inside a male voice called out for her to enter. Sesshomaru nodded his approval but elected to remain outdoors. His senses were on high alert here, aware that there were certain dangers. Not all youkai were as accepting of mortals in their domain as old Chiyoko and her family. Here, in the male dominated barracks, where the warriors made their homes, were many demons that held a very distinct hatred of humans.

Rin stepped into a small room and glanced around. It was dark, with only one candle lit and the window covered completely. The walls and floor were empty of adornment and stacked neatly in one corner was a suit of armor with a sword. There seemed to be nothing to this youkai's small dwelling except the grass sleeping mat that he now occupied.

"Why are you here, wench?"

Rin cleared her throat nervously and quickly kneeled. "My name is Rin, and I was told that you have a wound that is not healing properly. If it would please you, I would like to tend your injury."

The youkai grunted irritably and rolled onto his side away from her. "Well, it would not please me, mortal. Leave me be. I do not need your puny help."

Outside the door, some distance away, but well within range to hear every word spoken, Sesshomaru felt a twinge of irritation start. The youkai's callous disregard of his ward's offer for assistance rubbed his nerves like never before, especially considering the state of the injury of which she inquired. Even from this distance, he could smell the stench of poison and rot. The fool would deny assistance that he obviously needed just because Rin was human. Sesshomaru had just decided to intervene and insist that the stubborn baka receive healing care when Rin's voice halted his sudden determination.

"Do you think that you are greater than our Sesshomaru-sama?"

Sesshomaru was stunned at her question and could not see the relevance for a moment. He was curious as to the youkai's response; however, and stopped his progression to hear what the male would say.

"Of course not, little fool! Just leave me alone!"

Rin was persistent though and refused to give up so easily. In a matter-of-fact voice that was both chiding and soft, Rin said, "I can only believe that you must think yourself far greater than our lord if you would turn away my offer. Even Sesshomaru-sama has allowed me to tend to his wounds on occasion. Besides, why would you want to sit around in this dark room that smells so bad? Do you want to die?"

Rin wasn't sure what the youkai would do or say, and hoped that he would not try to kill her. When he suddenly rolled back over with a growl of anger, she couldn't help but cringe. He looked angry, but she could see how weak he really was when he attempted to sit up. She reached out instinctively to help, but quickly pulled back with the understanding that he would not appreciate her offer due to his pride.

"Why do you bother me, filthy human? You say it stinks in here? Well, it does! It stinks of your human body. Now go away! I don't care who you are or that Sesshomaru-sama finds amusement in keeping you as his little pet!"

At this point, Sesshomaru's anger was hitting a peak, and he fully intended to intervene. The youkai was being completely derogatory towards his ward and in so doing was being disrespectful toward him. He was halfway to the doorway when Rin's voice stopped him again.

"I've heard enough out of you, youkai! You can talk about me all you want, but I will not listen to you saying one bad thing about Sesshomaru-sama. You are the one that is smelly! Your wound is disgusting and I have not even seen it yet! Your fellow soldiers asked me to come here because they are sick of your stench, not because they care about you. I came because I want to help you and make you feel better! Now quit being so mean and just let me look at your wound!"

The guard, Nobuo, regarded the young mortal girl with a look of curious amazement. He could not believe that she was still standing there arguing with him as if she was his equal, yet there she was. Mortals were weak, cowardly creatures, yet this one stood before him unarmed and completely unafraid. Her determination was solid and her defense of Sesshomaru even greater. He had always wondered why such a great and powerful demon as Lord Sesshomaru would choose to allow a ridiculous mortal girl to sully his presence, but he was beginning to see that there was more to this one that meets the eye.

Whether it was curiosity or simply the pain and poison going to his head, Nobuo finally acquiesced. He nodded and lay fully back, giving the girl permission to tend to the damnable wound that had plagued him since the night the castle had first fell under attack.

Rin couldn't believe that he was giving in, but she decided not to ponder the youkai's sudden acceptance right then. She went to his side and began to study her task. When she lifted the blanket from the youkai's body, she was hit by the full stink of the festering wound. It made her stomach roll, and she was forced to take small breaths in order not to loose her last meal. The left leg was swollen and purple around a gaping, seeping wound. The cloth was shredded around it and sticking to dried blood and muck. Branching from the wound itself, she could see every vein in his leg through the pale color of his skin; the spreading poison causing them to appear a strange bright green.

Had he been a human, she would have been sure that he would lose his leg—if not his life. "Why have you not gone to the healer with this wound? It must be terribly painful."

Nobuo sighed and shook his head. "The healer is the mate of my dead brother, and she harbors a great dislike for me and my family. Had I gone to her, she would have chopped my leg off—or worse."

Rin looked at him with curious disbelief. "You mean Nana-sama? She is the sweetest youkai that I have ever met. I can't believe that she would do such a terrible thing."

Nobuo huffed and then grunted from the resulting pain. "That one harbors a great hatred of me. Believe me, girl, she would love nothing better than to cause me pain."

Rin scoffed and then shrugged. "Well, I can hardly see how it could have been much worse than what you are dealing with now." She spread out her supplies and gathered a pair of snips that she used to cut away the damaged and torn cloth from around the wound. "First let me get this cleaned up, and then I can get a better look at what we are dealing with."

It was sometime later when Rin finally emerged from that small room, leaving Nobuo sleeping peacefully for the first time in many days. The poison from the youkai that struck him was going to be a problem, and it could take some time before it was cleared from his system completely. She administered to the wound as best she could and wrapped it securely in fresh clean strips of cloth just as Kagome-sama had taught her. After making the stubborn youkai drink a cup of tea containing a sleeping draught with an aid for the pain, she left him to begin healing on his own.

She did not expect Sesshomaru-sama to still be outside waiting for her, but she found him there anyway. She smiled at him as he joined her and together they made their way back toward the castle proper. "I definitely need a bath," Rin remarked as they threaded their way through the bustling streets.

Rin was surprised when her lord looked down at her with a slight smile turning one corner of his mouth and replied, "Indeed."

Sesshomaru had always known that there was something special about Rin. At first he simply enjoyed her fresh company, and the amusing banter between the bold young girl and Jaken. As she continued to travel by his side, her unwavering loyalty and unquestioning affection gradually endeared her to him in more ways than one.

Now, as Sesshomaru spent a few hours of his busy day walking with Rin while she offered help to those in need, he was enlightened to the intelligent and crafty young woman that Rin had become. Through their years together, Sesshomaru's appreciation of Rin's character continued to grow, and her importance to him was more than he would have ever imagined.

Perhaps it was time that he told her so.

"Rin."

"Hai, Sesshomaru-sama?"

"You have made this Sesshomaru proud."

Rin quickly beamed a wide smile of adoration up at him, and Sesshomaru never felt so relieved to see anything in his long life.  


 

"Pssft, monkey!"

Uchuu looked around for the voice calling out to him, but saw nobody there. Then he heard it again. "Over here!" The voice was familiar, however, and Uchuu quickly figured out that it was the odd little dragon, Shin, calling out to him. Once he realized who—or what—he was looking for, Uchuu spotted the miniature lizard sitting atop a rotting fence post.

"Yes?" Uchuu asked, curious as to what the strange creature wanted of him.

"I was there when you spoke of visiting the demon lord Sesshomaru's home. Did you stay there long?"

Uchuu was, at first, suspicious of the purpose behind the dragon's questioning. It was obvious that despite his small stature the creature was as intelligent as any mortal or even youkai. Could he be a spy? Kagome had not mentioned the dragon back in the dungeon, instead introducing him as practically an afterthought earlier in her home. He decided to keep his guard up just in case. "We remained with Sesshomaru-sama for one night.

"Did you meet a girl named Rin?"

'Sesshomaru's human ward?' What did the dragon want with her?' "I was briefly introduced to the girl, yes, but my wife spoke with her longer than I did. Why? What concern is it of yours?" Uchuu asked curiously.

Shin was excited to hear word of Rin and immediately decided to seek out the human wife of the monkey youkai. He could not resist one more question before he went in search of her, however. "Did she seem well?"

"You mean healthy?" Uchuu asked, finding it very odd that the dragon would ask after the health of a mortal girl in the care of a demon lord.

Shin grunted with irritation. Not exactly sure how to phrase the question without sounding too strange. "No, well, yes...I mean..." 'Damn!' This was getting him nowhere. "Did she appear...happy?"

"Happy?" Uchuu asked with surprise. 'What a stupid thing for a dragon to be concerned about!' "How should I know? She smiled and went on her way. If you want to know more, then go ask Sumiho."

The dragon puffed a tiny cloud of smoke from one nostril and flapped his paper-thin wings until he took flight. Uchuu watched the miniature beast's departure while wondering how often the dragon was accosted by hunting sparrows. He chuckled at the mental image and headed off to find Saburo in order to make preparations for the night.

Shin began his search for the lovely human woman that was wed to a youkai by passing through the window of Kagome-sama's home. He watched as the pretty young priestess busily prepared her dwelling for the unexpected guests that would be staying overnight. While she plundered through a bamboo chest filled with extra blankets, Kagome was chatting with Shippo about her meeting with the monkey prince.

Shin dropped down to her eye level and cleared his throat to better garner her attention. "Lady Kagome, do you know where I might find Lady Sumiho?"

Kagome looked up from her task with curiously raised brows, obviously wondering why he was seeking out Uchuu's wife. Shin was relieved when she politely answered his question without prying because he really didn't want to explain his intentions in front of Shippo. "She and Yumiko-san left with Sango over an hour ago. They haven't come back yet."

"What are you up to?" Shippo asked, stepping over to stand above the hovering dragon.

Shin rolled his bulbous eyes and shook his tiny elongated head. "It is no concern of yours, fox."

Shippo narrowed his eyes and leaned down with an intimidating stare. "You are up to something and I really don't care what, but you better stay out of trouble; you got that? Inuyasha is in a foul mood and I can't keep saving your little ass!"

Shin released a puff of smoke in irritation before turning back toward the window from whence he came. As he exited the portal, he tossed a remark back to the impertinent fox boy. "I never requested your aid as I do not need it, kit."

"I only did it because Rin would want me too!" Shippo called out angrily behind him. Shin ignored the audacious fox and headed toward the hut where the demon slayer and her husband made their home. He was grateful that the miko and slayer did not reside within the main crush of the village, choosing instead to live on the far outskirts. The mortals within the village did not look at him too kindly, and he had to admit that they made him a bit nervous. The previous day, one old woman had even swatted at him with a broom! It was most disgraceful.

Shin reached the home of Sango and Miroku and found the door barred against entry so he made a beeline around to the side where he was able to slip beneath a heavy grass mat covering an open window. Inside, he quickly discovered that Lady Sumiho was obviously not in residence, but what he did find nearly sent him hurling to the floor in shock.

The slayer was fully clothed in her black fighting suit and carrying an angry scowl on her pretty heart-shaped face. In font of her, on his knees and completely naked, was her husband, the monk. Miroku sat prostrate before his wife with his head lowered in shame. Lady Sango walked around him, wielding a strip of leather, which was probably used to sharpen her weapons.

"You've been at it again, haven't you Miroku?" Sango questioned as she periodically tapped the leather strap against her hand.

With a voice clearly riddled with nervousness, Miroku answered, "No...yes...," Then he sighed, " Oh Sango, please forgive me."

Sango laughed and Shin found the sound rather chilling. His first instinct was to flee, but he was too mesmerized by what was happening.

"There is no forgiveness, Miroku. Not anymore. I've forgiven you too many times and it does me no good. You simply go out and do it again."

"I know... and I am sor...," Miroku began but Sango quickly cut him off.

"Quiet! I've heard enough of your apologies to last me a lifetime. Now, I am going to handle this matter in a different way. You've been a bad boy, Miroku and you will have to be punished."

Shin was surprised when he actually heard the monk whimper.

"On your hands and knees, like the dog you are," Sango ordered.

Miroku was quick to comply, and cast his very scary wife a fearful glance. Shin was amazed that the monk would give in so easily as he was clearly a strong man, but in seconds, Miroku was kneeling on his hands and knees literally shivering before his beautiful young wife.

The first blow fell on the monk's tender backside causing the man to tense and clench his teeth. Shin thought this exhibition to be the oddest that he had ever seen. Again the flogger fell on the monk, this time burning a path over his shoulder. Lady Sango then stepped back and gave the monk a rather wicked smile.

"Each time this strap falls on you, Miroku, you will repeat this phrase. "I belong to Sango and I will never touch the backside of another woman."

Shin nearly laughed out loud, thus ruining his fun. He managed to contain his mirth and continued to watch as the slayer delivered an array of stinging pelts over the toned skin of her shivering husband. Shin was surprised not only that the warrior monk would allow such indulgences by his wife, but that his wife—who normally had such a sweet and charming demeanor—could be so cruel. However, when the lady moved around to the other side, and the monk shifted just a little to the right, Shin was given obvious proof of the man's excitement. Miroku's erection was thick and heavy, dangling between his thighs, and Shin began to understand the strange acquiescence a little better.

The monk liked to be beaten by his beautiful wife.

Shin shook his head at the outlandish relationship between the two and decided that it was time to take his leave before the monk put that monstrous tool dangling between his legs to good use. The dragon turned and scooted back through the opening and out in to the night.

It took only a little more time before Shin finally found his quarry. Lady Sumiho and the half-demon female were coming back toward the village from the ponds. Both were shivering and pulling their robes tight while rubbing at their long, wet hair. Shin swooped down in front of the women, stopping them in their tracks. Sumiho appropriately gasped at the sudden appearance of a flying dragon, but Shin's ego took a sudden plunge when the one called Yumiko easily plucked him from the air by his tail.

"Look at this, my lady," Yumiko giggled. "We have a fearsome visitor."

"Release me you filthy half-breed!" Shin growled while tiny streams of smoke poured from his nostrils.

Yumiko paid his tantrum little heed and flipped her palm over, leaving Shin to perch there. "Calm yourself, tiny dragon. You startled us, is all."

Shin snorted and a spark of orange flame sizzled minutely before fading into smoke. "Next time you should keep your paws to yourself."

Lady Sumiho had heard enough from the crude dragon and stepped up beside of her friend. "You will hold your tongue, dragon. I will not hear of you speaking ill of Yumiko-san."

Shin considered giving her a piece of his mind, after-all, she was a mortal wed to a youkai. Her defense of the half-breed would no doubt one day extend to her own little half-monkey children. Shin thought it rather absurd, but in light of his mission to discover more about Rin, he held his forked tongue.

"Why are you here?" Sumiho asked.

Shin settled more comfortably upon the palm of the half-demon's hand, thinking it rather nice despite the fact that she was of mixed blood. She was pretty, too, with long pale yellow hair and brilliant green eyes. He had not missed that fact, but his distrust of youkai was mightier than a lovely face, and so he got straight to the point.

"My name is Shin, and I recently traveled with Lord Sesshomaru's human ward, Rin. Your husband said that you spoke to the girl, and I would like to ask after her health."

Sumiho smiled warmly and nodded her head. "Hai, Yumiko-san and I both spoke with young Rin. She is a pleasant girl and seemed to be well."

Shin shifted a little anxiously and cocked his long neck, bending his head at an odd angle. "This may sound strange to you, but...did she appear happy? Did she mention me at all?"

Sumiho's smile broadened as understanding took place. The tiny dragon had strong feelings for Sesshomaru's ward. "To be honest, Shin, we did not speak in length and certainly not on an intimate level. Rin-chan merely came to welcome us to her home and to make sure that we had everything that we needed. I did not notice anything unusual in her visit."

Yumiko suddenly spoke up and softly added, "She was sad. I could smell it."

Both Shin and Sumiho turned surprised eyes to Yumiko, who merely shrugged her shoulders and said, "I could sense a sadness there, but I didn't pry. Rin-chan seemed well cared for and content, so I saw no reason to interfere."

Shin lowered his bony head in consideration and took in a resigned breath. "I hope to return to her soon, but I am unsure of when I will have the chance."

Sumiho cooed and leaned in to Shin, "Do not worry, Shin. Rin-chan is safe and well kept. And Lord Hyuuga has ordained that all of the allies will meet before the battle against Asuza. Perhaps then you can be reunited with young Rin."

Shin looked up and a smile began to turn the corners of his long narrow mouth exposing minute white fangs. "Yes. I will hope for that." He then flapped his wings and much like a dragonfly took off into the night.

++++

"So what's the big secret, monkey?" Inuyasha boldly asked.

Uchuu, who had just come from washing his face in the stream behind the village, stopped mid-stride and turned to the aggravating half-demon. "I don't know what you're talking about, Inuyasha, and I don't have time to waste with you this morning. I have to make sure all is prepared for our departure. Hyuuga is expecting me."

Inuyasha smirked and gave the monkey a rude once-over that clearly showed his disdain. "You know what I mean. Why won't you tell us who the youkai was sharing her cell. She has a right to know."

Uchuu shifted uncomfortably and sighed. "Look, Inuyasha, I have already spoken with Kagome about this and she understands."

"Oh yeah?" Inuyasha growled, "Well, I don't. Besides, Kagome is too nice to insist—I'm not. You are hiding something besides that asshole's name and I think that it's time you came clean."

"I don't want to fight with you, Inuyasha. Kagome would not be happy with that. This thing that you ask is between Kagome and I. It's none of your concern."

Inuyasha palmed the hilt of his sword threateningly and assured Uchuu of how wrong he was. "Anything that threatens to hurt Kagome is my business. Now, why don't you just tell me the guy's name."

Uchuu shook his head and fought the urge to lash out. He tried to put himself in Inuyasha's place and knew that the hanyou was acting out of loyalty—and possibly even love. "Do you love her, Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha was taken aback by the question and his warm amber eyes grew wide with surprise. He stuttered around the answer, saying instead, "Mind your own business! This has nothing to do with that!"

Uchuu then wondered how deeply Inuyasha's feeling truly ran for Kagome. Did he love her but was afraid to show it? Sesshomaru was not going to find this road an easy path, and Uchuu felt a bit of pity for the powerful demon. Sesshomaru's own brother would stand like an impenetrable wall in the way of his happiness, and in doing so would doom Kagome to a dark future, as well. "If you love her, Inuyasha...if you have any love in your heart for Kagome at all, then you must release her to find her own happiness."

Inuyasha grunted roughly and stuck his nose in the air. "Feh! That's stupid. I protect Kagome and nothing you can say will change that."

Uchuu shrugged his shoulders and stepped around the stubborn half-demon. "Loving and protecting are not the same thing, baka. You can protect someone and not love them, but if you love someone you would die to protect them."

Inuyasha's next words were issued much more softly but still managed to stop Uchuu cold in his tracks. "I would do anything for Kagome—she means everything to me."

Uchuu turned back and faced Inuyasha, determining then that there was much more to the mouthy half-demon than he first thought. Knowing that it would hurt him to hear it, but resolved that it was the best thing to say, Uchuu told him what he thought. "Inuyasha, maybe the best thing that you can do for Kagome is give her a chance to live, love, and be loved in return."

He didn't wait to see Inuyasha's saddened features; Uchuu simply turned and headed back to gather his entourage. It was time for them to depart and return to the clan.  


 

A/N: I hope that you enjoyed this last chapter. The next one will be an exciting coming together of allies, and yes, Sesshomaru and Kagome will come face to face! The battle with Asuza lies just over the horizon and our friends will be risking their lives to make the world a safer place!

A special thinks to Risa for all of her hard work and inspiration! She continues to astound me with her editing expertise!

'Violation of Honor' has been recently nominated (and seconded) in the 1st qtr. 2008 Dokuga Awards in 3 different categories! Best Dark fic/Horror, Best Characterization: Sesshomaru, and Best Characterization: Kagome. Wow! That is so awesome! Risa and I send our thanks to everyone responsible! We would also like to congratulate all of the other authors out there who were nominated! We wish you the best of luck in the polls!

By the way... I have recently found the banner for the 'Violation of Honor' 3rd Qtr 2007 Inuyasha FanGuild Awards 2nd place win for Best Original Character: Uchuu, and I've got to tell you guys, it is very impressive! I want to send a special thanks to always_forthright for creating the pic and banner. It is beautiful and I totally LOVE IT! If anyone wants to check the banner out and get a glimpse of Uchuu face to face, you can see it on my Myspace account homepage at www.myspace.com/rinseternalsoul