InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 33 - Personal Battles ( Chapter 33 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I can only dream of having the money that Rumiko Takahashi makes off of her anime, Inuyasha. Me? I’m just a non-profit fanfiction author who adores the show and loves to write smut.

 

Chapter 33 - Personal Battles

A/N: I would like to thank CherieElizabeth for her rendition of the characters involved in Violation of Honor. I am tickled pink with her work and honored that VoH inspired her to gift us with these drawings. If you would like to stop by and check them out you can find her at: http://cherieosaurus.deviantart.com Thanks girl!

Thanks to everyone that voted for Violation of Honor in the A Single Spark Annual Awards www.sesskag.com! It came in Second Place for Best Angst/Drama! I was so proud! Also I send my Congratulations to all the other authors that won and placed in the awards! You all deserve them and I am proud to be counted amongst you!

A special thanks to everyone that voted for Violation of Honor in the 2nd Qtr. Dokuga Awards! VoH won 1st Place!!! I am so excited with this wonderful news! I would also thank TheWeimarClassicist and anyone else that nominated it. My deepest Congratulations to all the other authors that were also honored in the awards!

I also would like to thank everyone that nominated and seconded Violation of Honor in the 1st Qtr. 2008 InuYasha Fanguild Awards. Your support means so much to me!

Thanks to Risa for all you do! Even when you are overwhelmed with your own life you find the time to work with me and make my world a brighter place.

***This chapter is dedicated to my loyal reader Tana-san in hopes that it will cheer her up in these trying times. You are frequently in our thoughts!

   


 

The village was in sight, causing Inuyasha to breathe a sigh of relief. He looked down and saw that Sango had fallen asleep. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, considering how much blood she'd already lost. He was tempted to shake her awake, but decided against it, since they would soon arrive at Oichi's hut.

He prayed to whatever gods might be listening that she would not die—Miroku would kill him if he let Sango die. If he was honest with himself, it wasn't Miroku that he was worried about. Inuyasha cared deeply for Sango. She was more than a mere friend. Sango was as good as blood. She was his companion, his comrade, and often his conscience. Sango was the closest thing to a sister he was likely to ever have.

Even Kagome did not have the same connection that he felt with Sango. Kagome did not share the same beginnings. Kagome came from a place so different than his world that it was nearly impossible to believe without seeing it with his own eyes. Sango was born to his world. She was born fighting. Her hardships, while different than his, were still equally as hard. They had been forced to fight just to be given the chance to live, and while he didn't think any less of Kagome for growing up in a place where everything was made easy, he felt a kinship with Sango for the suffering they both shared.

"Hang on, Sango. You will be okay," he whispered, more to himself than the woman in his arms.

How could this have happened? Just hours before they had battled youkai against the odds, yet she had let a stupid human best her! It made him angry with her but more so than that...afraid. He couldn't stand to lose her.

The first thing Inuyasha noticed upon entering their village was the lack of people outside of their homes. There were only a few people out, and even though it was almost dark, the farmers would have been wrapping up for the day. There would have been loads of rice being hauled and tools being carted back to their homes. The stable master would have been feeding the animals before turning in for the night. Usually there were children still playing games up until that final moment when their mamas’ called them home.

Something was wrong.

That something came to him in the unwelcome stench of days old blood. His progression through the familiar pathway suddenly slowed to a walk. The smell of blood was unmistakable. Someone had died nearby. That much blood loss would have been fatal. His heart was pounding as he tried to figure out what was going on. He was ready to fight if it was needed, but first he would have to put Sango down, and he did not want to do that until he reached Oichi.

Shippo quickly picked up on the scent of spilled human blood and noticed Inuyasha's wariness. Something terrible had happened in their quiet little village. Something that had caused the people here to hide away in their homes. "Inuyasha, what is going on?"

"Shut it, kid. I'm still trying to figure that out."

Saya felt Shippo's muscles tighten as soon as they entered the village. The two youkai were intensely alert as they made their way past huts and buildings unfamiliar to her. She had wondered at their behavior, but after Shippo's question and Inuyasha's snappy answer, she was sure something bad was happening. "Put me down, Shippo," she whispered against his pointed ear.

Shippo paused just long enough to let Saya slip from his back, but he refused to let her move far from his side. "Stay close," he ordered in a low voice. "Something is out of place. There has been blood spilled here."

"Oh," Saya replied with concern. Their sense of smell was amazing. Youkai had so many abilities that humans did not. Without them she would never have known of the danger.

Inuyasha caught the scent of a human male approaching. He could detect sweat and a recently eaten meal, mingled with the smell of horseflesh. Horses were uncommon in his village. The only livestock kept in the stables were a few valued cattle and a several pigs locked up safely from predators at night.

The metallic sound of a blade being stealthily drawn was soon followed by another to his far right. 'So there are two of you, huh? Fine by me.' Inuyasha stopped and turned to Shippo, "Here, take Sango to Oichi. I'll deal with these guys."

"You sure, Inuyasha? I can help."

"Just do as I said, squirt."

"You know I hate it when you call me that."

"Whatever."

Suddenly, the closest man stepped out from behind the hut he thought had been shielding him from notice. Inuyasha wasn't pleased to see another damn soldier from the Oda clan so soon after the last bunch of assholes. Obviously Miroku had been right. They were here searching for Kagome. Since there were only two of them, it had to be the reason they had come. If they were attempting to take over the village, there would have been more.

"You there! Are you the demon that left with the miko called Kagome?"

Inuyasha put his hand on the hilt of his sword and arrogantly asked, "What's it to ya?"

The soldier, dressed in the traditional samurai armor, minus a helmet, sent a quick glance over the two women. His eyes did not linger long on Sango, as it was clear by her clothing that she was a demon slayer. He did, however, take a long look at Saya, which raised Inuyasha's hackles. He stepped over in order to block the man's sight.

"Is that the miko?"

"Hell no. Not that it's any of your business. Now how about you answer some of my questions, like....what the hell are you doing in my village?"

The second soldier chose that moment to appear, and Inuyasha gave him a quick once over, finding nothing special—just a copy of the first one less the height.

"We are soldiers of the Daimyo, Oda Nobunaga," the man stated as if it were a vast honor. "Watch your mouth demon, lest you lose your tongue."

"Oh, I'm shaking in fear," Inuyasha taunted. "If anybody sheds blood here, it'll be me. I protect this village, and you aren't welcome in it. So why don't you get on those horses of yours and get the hell out of here before I have to kill you."

The second soldier seemed to have a bit more sense than his partner. He leaned over and whispered, "Maybe we should do as he says. There are two demons."

"I can count, fool. Besides, one of them is just a boy. We were ordered to maintain a vigil here. Do you want to risk Lieutenant Itou's wrath?"

Inuyasha gave a dark chuckle. "If you mean one of those fuckers that tried to ambush us, well, I've already sharpened my claws on their bones. Maybe you will be next?"

The second soldier's eyes grew wide with obvious fright, but the first’s narrowed with anger. Inuyasha knew then that he was going to have to kill that one. It was still possible that the shorter guy would run. He took a menacing step forward. "I'm tired of waiting. Either get your horses and go, or you'll regret it."

That was all it took for the little guy to flee. The taller soldier shouted expletives at the deserter but stood his ground. Inuyasha gave a quick glance over his shoulder. "Saya, go with Shippo to Oichi's hut. I'll be there in a minute."

Shippo nodded in understanding and skirted around the ensuing fight. Saya ran closely by his side. Assured of their safety, Inuyasha turned his full attention on the man he was going to have to kill. "Last chance, asshole."

The samurai's answer came with a guttural cry as he ran toward Inuyasha with his sword raised, intent on striking his opponent down. Inuyasha deftly twisted to the side, easily avoiding the strike and plunged his claws into the man's side. He wasn't even worth the honor of being slain by Tetsusaiga. The human grunted with a final breath before Inuyasha let him fall to the ground.

The drum of horse's hooves alerted him to the departure of the smarter soldier. Inuyasha glared at him as he passed while standing over his kill. The message was clear: trespass on his territory and die.

Inuyasha bent down and hefted the dead man over his shoulder. He would quickly dispose of the corpse and then return.

Oichi was both relieved and fearful when Shippo entered her hut carrying the bloody body of Sango. She ran forward to meet him halfway. "Is she alright?"

"We don't know. There was a battle in the golden leaf forest and she was injured by a samurai's blade."

"Put her over here," Oichi said, motioning to a pallet kept available for those sick or injured that visited her hut.

When Shippo shifted and knelt down, Sango moaned, but it did not sound terribly pained. He then stepped back beside of Saya so that Oichi could work on Sango's arm.

"I will need water boiled!"

Shippo grabbed up a pail and said, "I'll be right back!"

Oichi then glanced at the pretty woman standing rather uncomfortably just inside of her door. "Please come in. My name is Oichi. I am the apprentice miko of this village."

Saya bowed respectfully. "It is a pleasure to meet you. I am called Saya."

"Oh! You are the silk spinner that helped Lady Kagome."

Saya smiled. "Hai. I am."

"Where is Lady Kagome? Did she come back as well?"

"Actually, no. Kagome-sama went with the monk." Saya then explained what happened while Oichi carefully peeled away the cloth from Sango's injury. As Saya was finishing up the shortened version, Shippo returned with the pail of fresh water. Without being told, Saya grabbed the pail and found a kettle to boil the water in. She had just stoked the fire and settled it in place when Inuyasha entered the hut.

"How is she?"

Oichi looked up and smiled. "She will be fine, I think. The wound is not so bad."

Inuyasha leaned over and took a closer look at the wound. "That's...strange."

"What?" Shippo asked curiously as he bent over Inuyasha's shoulder for a better look.

"The wound...I could have sworn when it first happened that it went bone deep."

"You must have been mistaken, Inuyasha," Oichi soothed. "As you can see, it is not even deep enough that I need sew it."

Inuyasha leaned back and felt the glory of relief spread through him. "That's good. Well then, get her fixed up and I'll carry her to her hut. I'm sure after the day she's had, she will be happy to sleep in her own bed tonight." He turned to Saya and a little blush shaded his cheek. "You can sleep in our hut if you like. Kagome's futon is free."

Saya smiled and returned the blush with one of her own. "Shouldn't I stay with Sango tonight—to make sure that she is well?"

"I'll keep an eye on her," Inuyasha said. "I don't sleep much anyway."

Saya nodded. "Thank you. I would like that very much."

Inuyasha then turned serious and asked Oichi the question that had been bothering him since they entered the village. "Who was killed a few days ago?"

Oichi looked up from her task with a sad expression. "It was Fuki-chan. Her poor son is so distraught. He cries continuously and the nightmares are strong. He saw the whole thing." She sighed heavily. "Since he is an orphan now, he is staying with Akiyori-san and his family, but I do not know for how long they will be able to keep him there. They are a poor family, as most are here in our village. They can ill afford another mouth to feed."

The fury Inuyasha felt in that moment was enough to rip a deep guttural growl from his chest. "Those bastards!" Saya suddenly placed a sympathetic hand on his arm, causing him to look down. He was startled to find her dark eyes shimmering with tears.

"Inuyasha, perhaps the boy can stay with me? I know how it feels to be alone in the world."

His anger dissipated and a soft look entered his amber eyes. "You would do that?"

"Of course. I am, after all, an orphan myself."

Inuyasha nodded. "I understand." In fact, he understood completely.

In that moment, she could see a depth to the half-demon that she had not realized before. There was old pain in his eyes. He too, had been left on his own.

"We will talk to the boy tomorrow. If he wants to stay with us, then I'll protect you both."

From across the room, Oichi looked up curiously. Inuyasha had sounded...gentle. She found him looking down at Saya with warmth in his eyes. It was something she only saw when he sometimes gazed at Kagome and only when she wasn't looking. The difference here was that Saya was returning that same look and neither of them was turning away.  


 

"Shin?"

His head was splitting. It felt as if a herd of demons were having a stomping good time in his brain. He brought his hands up and grabbed the sides of his head in an attempt to subdue the agony, but it didn't work. In fact, all he succeeded in doing was cutting his face. The sharp sting brought him to his senses, and he pulled his hand away. His eyesight was strange. Clear on one side, but blended with a greenish tint. He blinked. The green hue was still there, but it seemed to be coming from his left eye and not his right.

Shin pulled his hand up for inspection, wondering what was so sharp that it had cut him. What he found sent his heart into a frantic rhythm.

Three of his fingers... "Oh, Gods."

"Shin?"

Shin looked away from the horrible proof that the spell had not worked to completely restore his humanity. He found the beautiful face of Rin peering down at him with concern. In her hands, she held out an unfolded blanket for him. He gratefully took it, as she politely averted her eyes. He looked down at his human body, expecting to see more disfigurement, but was relieved to discover that there appeared to be none. His legs were whole and his feet back to normal, even down to the last toe.

After covering himself, Shin sat up fully and once again looked at his left hand. From his middle finger to the smallest, including some of his wrist and forearm, was still the green scaly skin of his dragon form. His fingers were abnormally long with thick knobby knuckles and sharp, bone colored claws instead of human fingernails. His normal human thumb and pointer finger looked bizarre next to the dragon claws.

Thankfully, his other hand was completely normal. It looked exactly like it had before the curse. With it, Shin reached up and traced over his face, feeling the familiar shape of it beneath his fingertips. It felt normal. Everything about it felt normal. The relief he experienced at that discovery was nearly overwhelming.

Shin ran his hands through his unruly hair, noticing the length brushing against his bare shoulders. He had hair again. That was a miracle in itself.

"Are you well, Shin-kun?"

Shin glanced up. Rin was looking at him expectantly, and he could clearly see the worry in her eyes. He nodded and she smiled.

"I am sorry that the spell didn't work completely, but you are mostly back to your normal self."

Shin nodded again, not trusting his voice at the moment. He had been stuck as a tiny dragon for so very long. He shifted his legs and felt the muscles pull. Suddenly he twisted and looked behind him. No tail. He felt like crying with glee. He blinked away the moisture and looked once more at the dragon fingers. They were ugly and not human in appearance at all. They would be a problem, but at least it was something that he could try to hide.

He looked up and sent a grin to the girl that made it all possible. "Rin! You did it!"

Jaken had been quietly observing the dragon-turned-human until that moment. "I beg your pardon? Rin didn't do anything! I am the one you should be thanking, human!"

Shin bowed his head and gave credit where credit was due. "Yes, Jaken-sama, you have proven your abilities to reverse the spell. Thank you for giving me back my life."

"Stupid mortal. I did not do this for you! I did this as proof to Rin!" Jaken turned to Rin and pointed at Shin. "You see, Rin? I told you that I could change him back, didn't I? You owe me an apology."

Rin grinned at Shin and turned toward Jaken. Obediently she kneeled and bowed low in reverence. "Thank you, Master Jaken. You are, indeed, a powerful youkai and knowledgeable mahoutsukai." Rin then sat up and peeked back at Shin warily. "But Master Jaken, what about his hand and eye?"

"Eye?" Shin murmured with surprise. His left hand automatically went up to the eye that seemed to have a strange green hue infused within his vision. "What is wrong with my eye?"

Rin turned and reached out, gently taking hold of his deformed hand and pulling it away from his face. Her eyes held sympathy and an offer of comfort that Shin was extremely grateful for.

"Hai. I am sorry to tell you this, Shin-kun, but your left eye...it is...different."

His heart started pounding with the anxiety he felt over her answer. What had happened? What did his eye look like?

Rin saw the worry and question on Shin's remarkably handsome face. "It looks much like it did when you were still a dragon." When his body jerked as if an invisible hand had struck him, Rin reached out and gently cupped his cheek. She smiled warmly and said, "Please don't be upset. It is a handsome eye."

Despite her compliment, Shin shook his head and scooted back. "You mean...it is not human?"

Rin gave him a saddened shake of her head. "It is the same as when you were a dragon, just larger."

"Do you have a looking glass?" Even as he asked the question, he felt dread settle in his gut. Did he really wish to see it? Did he really want his handicap to stare back at him? With a resigned nod, he repeated the question. "I must see for myself, Rin-chan. Please, do you have a looking glass?"

Rin nodded and reached for her saddlebag where she rummaged around until she found the small piece of shiny metal that she used as a mirror. She pulled it out and offered it to Shin.

Shin took the polished metal and held it for a second with his eyes closed. He prayed that it wasn't as bad as Rin made it sound. Finally, he pulled it up and opened his eyes.

"By the Gods..."

It was just as Rin had described it. His right eye was very much the dark brown of a human, but his left eye was hideous. It was yellow with a black vertical slit for a pupil. It was nothing at all like his human eye. Nothing. "How can this be?"

Feeling anger and disappointment welling up thickly within his chest, Shin turned to the toad, snatching Jaken up by the cuff of his haori. "How can this be?" Shin shouted in the toad's beak-like face while shaking him until his eyes began to roll.

"Shin! Please let Master Jaken go!"

Shin turned to Rin and saw the pleading fear in her big brown human eyes. He sighed and regrettably released the irritating imp. "My apologies."

"How dare you touch me, you filthy human! After all that I have done for you?"

Shin turned on him again and growled, "You mean after you made me an even bigger freak?"

Jaken gasped with indignation and replied, "There are no guarantees with spells like this! You were warned of the possible outcome!"

"You told me that it might not work, you said nothing of it leaving me less than human!"

"That is enough, Shin!"

Shin turned to Rin, who was grinding her teeth in barely restrained anger. "You asked for Master Jaken's help. You knew that the spell could go wrong. Be thankful that it worked as well as it did, instead of being angry over the fact that small pieces did not change."

Rin took a calming breath and turned to Jaken. "Is there a way to fix this, Master Jaken? Surely there is something that you can do?"

Jaken shook his head. "The risk in a second attempt is great, Rin. The original spell cast on the human was wrought with powerful dark magic. If we tried again to reverse it, the mortal could possibly die."

"Oh no," Rin whispered. She turned to Shin, pleading, "I do not want you to die, Shin-kun."

Shin considered his life for a moment. Before Rin, he had been imprisoned as a miniature pet by an evil witch. Rin had liberated him, becoming his friend and finding a way to reverse the spell—even though it didn't work completely. Could he live like this, half human and half something else?

Finally, Shin lifted his head and gave Rin a wry grin. "I do not wish to die, Rin-chan. I will not try the spell again."

Rin sighed with relief and gave Shin a happy smile. "I like your eye. It makes you look exotic."

Shin could not help the laugh that followed. And as he tossed his head back against the candlelight, Rin leaned a little closer with curious eyes. His amusement ended rather quickly when she reached out and plucked the wax candle from its perch and pulled it closer to his face. Her mouth fell open, and he could tell that his troubles were far from over. "What now?"

"Your hair...it appears black when one first glances at it, but when the light hits it just right, I can see the most amazing highlights. Dark greens, burgundies, and blues. Shin-chan, your hair is magnificent."

Shin watched her eyes swell in appreciation while his mind raced with more disturbing thoughts. Magnificent? Hardly! It seemed that now he had one more thing to label him as a freak.

Shin reached up and pulled his hand through his thick head of hair. The texture was soft and full of loose waves that formed large looping curls that never quite made it. Instead, they curved in silky strands that probably made him look tousled and unkempt. Hell, he felt unkempt. How could he feel anything but? He had hoped to end this day as a man, and instead, he was still partly dragon.

"I will go out and purchase you some clothes."

"I will accompany you, Rin," Jaken volunteered. He grimaced at the offer, but Jaken did not want to be left in the room alone with the human male. After the display of temper he observed earlier, it would be best to stay away from the mortal for a while.

"Thank you, Master Jaken."

Shin watched them leave and once he was sure that he was alone he stood up on shaky legs, then dropped the towel. He had to look at himself. He needed to be sure that there was nothing else wrong with him. He looked over his chest, satisfied that it was the same as when he was human. His legs appeared the same and even his manhood hung the same way. 'Thank the Gods for that.'

He twisted and looked at the back of his feet and then his calves. They looked normal. His buttocks swelled out nicely. That was the same, but immediately he noticed a shading of green just above the crack of his ass. He ran his hand over it and cursed. There was no mistaking the texture of scales in the small shallow dip of his lower back. The area was no bigger than his palm and trickled down toward the crevice between his beefy butt cheeks. It was almost as if his tail had refused to leave him completely.

Though the patch was flat and unnoticeable to anyone but him, Shin felt his heart clench with the knowledge. Another spot of deformation. It seemed the list was now complete. He was human, except for three fingers, an eye, his hair, and the patch of green scales right above the crack of his ass.

Just fucking great.

If that damned witch wasn't already dead, he would happily hunt her down and slowly strangle the life out of her.  


 

Miroku was sitting at the low table along with a room full of sohei warrior monks. Most of them were now drunk on very fine sake and growing rowdier by the moment. Several of them were openly flirting with the women serving the drinks while a few had their own cherished concubines to cater to their needs. As far as the monkhood goes, Miroku was deeply impressed.

This is the life.

Head Priest Konatsu was sitting at the end of the table, regaling the boisterous group with tales from his youthful battling days. His apprentice sat by his side, laughing and joining in as if they were old time friends instead of master and assistant. All together, the atmosphere was joyous and easy. The food and sake were excellent, and Miroku couldn't have been happier.

"Houshi-sama? I wonder if you might like some company tonight?"

Miroku twisted around to the vision of loveliness bowed so serenely before him. Old habits die hard, and for a moment he was tempted to give her a lecherous grin and usher her straight to his room. Some temptations are so very hard to resist. Finally, he placed his hand on the back of his neck and laughed uncomfortably. "Heh, I uh, appreciate your offer, beautiful lady, but I must, regretfully, decline."

There was a time in his life when he would rather have chopped off his left foot than turn this pretty woman—so soft and sweet, offering her divine feminine comfort—away.

He was definitely a changed man.

"You see, I am a married man."

The woman looked at him curiously. "Married? Is that not against your vows?"

Miroku smiled, acknowledging her question as it was a valid one. "I am not a monk of this particular Buddhist sect."

"Oh, I see. Then it is allowed in your following?"

"It is. We may marry and have children."

The young lady did not seem put off by his answers, and Miroku was beginning to wonder where this conversation was going. He was completely surprised when she leaned forward and said in a husky voice, "You are most handsome, Monk Miroku. Is it against your sect's teaching to take a lover?"

Miroku was pretty sure his face had just turned several shades of red, and the bad thing about it was that he actually considered her proposition for a moment. It would be so easy to say yes...so easy to slip off and get naked. He reached out for the woman's hand but was suddenly struck with a vision—one of Sango beating him into a bloody pulp. He let his hands fall without making contact.

"Heh, as flattered by your offer as I am, I must decline. I expect my wife to be faithful to me, and I will do the same for her. I hope you understand."

The pretty girl bowed once more and said, "It is a shame, but I do understand. You are a good man, Miroku-sama."

"Shaji," Miroku offered in thanks and watched as the woman left his side, walked to another table, and knelt to offer those same services to another monk. He shook his head and turned back to his sake. 'Whew. That was a close call.'

"Miroku-san!" Priest Konatsu called. "Tomorrow I shall join you in the courtyard, and we shall discuss this new amazing power that you hold."

Miroku was a little embarrassed that the elder monk announced his newest oddity to the room full of people. He would rather have kept it quiet, but there was no hope of that now.

"What sort of power is it, Miroku-san?" Several of the monks sitting nearby asked.

Miroku held up his hands in a placating manner and shook his head with a smile. "Now, now, I wouldn't want to give up all my secrets." Thankfully, the room erupted in laughter, and the inebriated state of its occupants helped to deter further questioning. Not long after that, Miroku decided to call it a night. Besides, he really needed to get back and check on Kagome. He would hate for her to wake up alone and wondering where she was.

It took nearly twenty minutes of leisurely walking for Miroku to make it back to their rooms. Before he went in and settled for the night, he opened the adjoining door and peeked in on the still sleeping Kagome. She had shifted and the blanket had fallen away, exposing her to the chill night air. He walked in and quietly pulled the warm sheet back over her. His hand hovered near her cheek and he felt an overwhelming curiosity hit when she moaned out something that sounded like a name.

Should he touch her? Would his new powers still work? Would Kagome wake up and smack him?

Despite the risk, the temptation was too strong. He was so curious about the shift in his power. Where had it come from and why? What was the Amulet of Coactum and how had it been crafted? There were so many unanswered questions racing about in his mind. The stone had obviously been a source of unbridled power, and the destruction of it had released a gale force that could only have come from the Gods. Was that it, then? Had this new power been a gift from the Gods?

As soon as his hand touched the warm flesh of Kagome's cheek, Miroku stiffened. He was bombarded with a rush of feelings, emotions that barreled through the connection and over him like a coating of thick honey. Miroku gasped, as Kagome's dream became real for him. It did not bring visions from her mind, but senses reacting to the imagery that only she could see.

He was hot. His body was burning for something familiar yet unknown. He felt cherished yet betrayed. Love and excitement warred with fear. Altogether it left him aroused to unbelievable lengths, and Miroku did not hesitate in snatching his hand away.

"My, my, Kagome-sama. Your dreams are indeed interesting."

Miroku shifted his now uncomfortable hardness and decided that it was time to head back to his room. He had many answers given to him in that moment, but there were so many more questions remaining. The power he now held was incredible, but it made him very uneasy. It was not for a man to know the turmoil of another without being given the knowledge in trust. Just by touching a person, he could now discern truths and falsehoods as well as desires. It was a daunting gift, if it was one at all.

Miroku sighed and settled onto his sleeping mat. More likely, this gift was just another curse. How had he escaped one curse only to fall into another? Was it his fate to always carry such a burden? As Miroku drifted off to sleep his last thoughts were of his wife and the future they had planned.

Sango had refused to give him children as long as he persisted in his lecherous ways. Recently, his life had taken a new and pleasant turn in relation to his lovely wife. For the first time since he crashed into puberty, Miroku could actually vow complete fidelity to one woman.

No, he had never cheated on Sango in the true sense of the word, but the flirting and the temptations were always strong. It was almost as if he were predestined to be a womanizer for all of his days. To walk past a beautiful lady without stopping to say hello—and possibly sneaking a grab at her delicious backside—was almost incomprehensible. The pull was just too strong. His hot blood ran with decades of lecherous ancestors directing its path. He could hardly blame Sango for her reservations. Why would she saddle herself with a house full of children when she was unsure of her husband's faithfulness?

After all these years, things were changing. Sango's role as a dominant lover excited him beyond measure. Her powerful tone and the impenetrable stance of her sexy body standing over him were as close to heaven as he had ever come. There were so many games they could play and so many joys they could share. Her new role in their sex life had opened doors for him that he never imagined possible.

In opening those doors, Sango had closed others. By offering herself as his sexual dominant, Sango had eliminated his urge to seek out other feminine charms. Only his magnificent wife could have accomplished such a complex task.

The thought of Sango growing round with his child made Miroku smile. He had always dreamed of a large family, and now he was close to having his chance. Unfortunately, with the destruction of Asuza and her ensorcelled amulet, things had suddenly taken a rather unsettling turn. Clearly the red powder from the jewel had changed him, but it was as of yet undecided whether this change would be beneficial or a calamity.

Until he knew more, his dream of a family would have to wait just a little longer.  


 

Sesshomaru was uncaring of the requests for his presence. At the moment the only thing he wanted was to go gather up his ward and seek out Kagome. Despite the tongues wagging in protest, he walked through the Citadel gates and headed for YoKaishi. Business within the castle would simply have to wait.

Many years ago he had sought only to gain power. His goal was simple: prevail over the strongest beings on earth and build an empire founded upon his strength. Life had been so simple then. One battle led to another and finally there were no opponents left worthy to oppose him. He had conquered with relative ease. Only a few had even caused him pause.

The Western Citadel was fortified with his power. In the wake of his father's demeaning death, Sesshomaru had established order and began rebuilding his ancestor's home into the magnificent fortress that it once was. Every day had been dedicated to protecting his domain, establishing dominance and reassuring those beneath him of his right to call himself alpha.

Strangely, those things meant little to him now. His entire world had been tilted with the impromptu appearance of a small human miko. Everything had changed. What was once his sole importance had now become a secondary concern. The Western Citadel, his lands and his people were nothing compared to his miko. How could one person alter the destiny of another so completely? Kagome had, inadvertently, forever changed his direction in life.

Power meant little without Kagome by his side to share it.

What would happen when he brought Kagome home? How would his people react to his acquisition of a human mate? Izayoi had certainly not been welcomed when his father attempted to settle her into the Western Citadel. It had taken one failed attempt to poison the human hime and a considerable rising of angry demon followers to convince the Inu no Taisho to move his cherished lover. It was perilous to leave the weak mortal female unprotected for even an hour, and the great dog general could trust no one but himself to keep her safe—not even his own son.

Sesshomaru could only hope that after Rin's constant presence in his home, the opinions concerning humans had altered enough to eventually bring acceptance. He had hoped to have more time to conform his youkai followers to the miko's presence but no longer. He was impatient for his intended mate to settle in his household and be damned to any who would oppose him.

The death of Asuza freed him from a vast load of insecurities. Knowing for a fact that she was dead and her cursed amulet destroyed had lifted the veil of darkness that had settled over his heart and mind. Revisiting and destroying the place where his nightmares clustered was instrumental in freeing him from the prison of doubt.

Without warning, Sesshomaru stumbled slightly in his stride. The uncommon clumsiness brought to light something that he had been avoiding with fervor. He had yet to sleep. It had been days since he took rest—too many days.

What would happen when he closed his eyes? Would welcome darkness take him to peaceful oblivion? Or would old sores open and spew forth renewed venom? Were the nightmares over? Was Asuza's death the precursor for restful nights ahead?

A low growl escaped him with the troubled thoughts. It was doubtful that bliss was so closely within his reach. Knowing that Asuza was dead and the amulet destroyed did not negate all of the past horrors that he had succumbed to. Just thinking of his weakness in those moments made his blood stir with demonic rage. How had he allowed himself to be used in such a humiliating way?

The true depth of his failure was unknown to most. Only a few held the knowledge of his undignified role as sex slave. Uchuu the snow monkey had proven himself a trustworthy ally. Ultimately, Sesshomaru felt that his secret would be safe in his hands. Many times the prince could have revealed the terrible truth, but his loyalty had been proven with his silence and his sword. Kagome was another, and she would never betray him. He was completely confident of that. The bird, Iku, was the last, and his voice was far from loyal. The twisted fowl would love to bring about his ruin. Sesshomaru's ignominious secrets could herald his ultimate downfall, for what worth was an alpha that allowed himself to be dominated by another male?

It was imperative. Second to retrieving Kagome, was the slaying of Iku. He would hunt him to the ends of the earth if that was what was required. The bird was a loose end that needed tying. To ensure Sesshomaru's status, he needed to eliminate that threat once and for all.

Iku was, indeed, a perilous threat—not only to Sesshomaru, but to Kagome as well. The thought of that demented bird loose in the world and free to stalk Kagome was more unsettling than worry over his own downfall. Kagome's safety was paramount. She was his final link to sanity and his unwavering strength to move on. She had offered him a light within the darkness and for that he owed her everything.

For Kagome he would move mountains.

His pack will accept her. He will offer them no choice. Kagome is a powerful miko, not a defenseless human hime. His people will feel her strength and if they turn on him, then they are not worthy of his protection as their lord. All who oppose their union will suffer his wrath. He is the alpha and he bows to no one. Ultimately, it is his decision to take a human as his mate, and if it leads to the end of his reign, then so be it. He will not give up Kagome for anyone or anything.  


 

Oh, how he hated this human. If it were not beyond his capability of reaching the miko, then Iku would have cut him down where he so arrogantly stood. Oda Nobunage was two heads shorter than himself, but the mortal carried himself like a god.

"What use are you to me, youkai? By your own account your mistress is dead and her amulet destroyed. Without her power, I am forced to seek other ways to obtain the goals that I desire. What use will you be in the realization of my dream to unite the providences of this land under one rule?"

Iku positively itched to rip the man apart with his claws. What care had he for this pathetic wretch’s fantastic goals? Humans would always fight over who ruled what. This mortal had only been a tool in Asuza's plan for revenge. He meant nothing to Iku at all. Nothing other than a means to an end. Iku held his temper and said, "My lord, I have not come to seek a position within your clan. I merely come to offer a bit of information as well as a solution to several of your problems."

This caught Nobunaga's attention, and finally, the insidious little man swept his arm out and motioned for Iku to take a seat. Iku looked up as the human took his place on the raised dais, placing him several levels above the others in the room.

"Go ahead. I am listening."

Iku began to unfold his plan. "I understand that you have been warring against the Tendai sect of Buddhist monks, in particular those residing in the monastery of Mt. Hiei."

Nobunaga considered the youkai for a moment, trying to figure out what was going on inside of that deranged yet strategically minded brain. What was the bird's true purpose here? What concern did Iku have for the Oda clan's ongoing struggle against the sohei warrior monks? In order to find out, he would be forced to play along. "It is no secret that I intend to crush them. I have given the order to lay siege upon their mountain nearly one full moon ago, yet they continue to hold strong. It is suspected they have secret passages out of the mountain where they are able to escape and procure food items that they have no access to otherwise."

Iku stared right into the human's eyes. As a mortal, Nobunaga was to be commended for his tactile maneuvers and his ruthlessness in achieving his goals. It seemed the mortal would stop at nothing to see the culmination of his vision. He was eager to see what the man had to say when he offered a bit of incentive for reaching the top of Mt. Hiei.

"Perhaps I have been witness to one of these passages that you speak of?" Iku droned. "In fact, I have recently seen a monk approaching the mountain in a region completely devoid of your men."

"Impossible!" Nobunaga snarled. General Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who was in attendance, reiterated his response.

Iku allowed a knowing smirk to appear on his face. "Oh, it is all too true, my lord. The path exists as surely as I am sitting here before you."

Immediately Nobunaga's eyes lowered into a look of serious consideration. Could he trust him? Was he lying? If not, why had he come to him with this information? Finally, Oda Nobunaga sat up straight. His decision was made. It was worth checking out. He was unsure of the bird's purpose but entirely too eager to crush the monks to care. "And where would I find this weakness?"

Iku described the location where he spotted the monk entering the spiritual barrier and watched as Nobunaga's eyes grew wider in understanding. To polish off his deliverance, Iku added as a bit of consolation that he did not feel, "It would be an easy area to miss, my lord, unless you had visual means from above."

Nobunaga grunted and placed his fingers on his chin as he considered the possibilities. He was just about to toss the youkai a coin in payment for his information when the bird added to the Tendai monk's already hefty insult against the Oda clan.

"The monk that entered the pathway was carrying a miko." As Iku expected, Nobunaga's eyes grew much more interested. The man even leaned forward a bit when he asked, "Was it her?"

A smirk curved Iku's lip when he replied, "Absolutely."

Oda Nobunaga smacked his hand down, hitting the platform where he sat. "This is the last straw!"

Nobunaga turned from the bird and sighted his two residing generals. Until then they had been quietly waiting in the background, listening but not interfering. "I can't take this," he said to Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Akechi Mitsuhide. "The warrior-monks are taking shelter behind the privileges that their forefathers have earned, but which they never even care to substantiate. My enemy is not the mountain. It's not Buddhism, it's not Buddha. It is the privileges that those people are taking for granted, and the way they set themselves against me. If I don't do it, no one ever will, and from one generation to another, we'll still get killed by those monks. Get ready for a fire attack. Spare no one. And I mean no one. Hunt them all down and burn their lair. Then maybe the blaze will purify the religion anew." *

Oda Nobunaga smiled wickedly as he rose from his perch. "Only one will remain alive when the flames of purification cease to burn. The miko known as Kagome will be by my side." Nobunaga felt the bloodlust of his warrior heritage heating his veins. This was a fight that he would not lose. He fully intended to lead the raid, and once at the top, he would take the ultimate prize.

Kagome.

Oda missed the suddenly uncharacteristic swoon of General Akechi Mitsuhide as the reality of Nobunaga's declaration set in. Toyotami managed to maintain a passive facade but inwardly cringed at the announcement. It would be an unprecedented battle, one where not only the monks themselves were attacked, but the shrines and temples as well.

In order to set his plan into stone, Iku goaded the warlord just a bit more. "Are you sure, my lord? No one has ever dared to question, let alone challenge, the special rights of the Buddhist monks at Mr. Hiei. Not even Emperors. Reverence towards Buddhist monks of Mt. Hiei is the Japanese commonsense." *

As he knew it would, Iku's statement fired a powerful fury within Nobunaga. The daimyo held up his fist and thundered to the room, "What's the use of commonsense?! You have been using commonsense for a thousand years and THIS is what it all amounts to: we have to fight unnecessary battles against these so-called Buddhist busybodies! Enough is enough!" *

Iku inwardly smiled in triumph. He had successfully fanned the flames of a fire that had been smoldering between the Oda clan and the monks for years. Now Iku could stand back as the product of his instigation becomes a blazing inferno that will not only bring about the annihilation of the monks but also their spiritual barrier that keeps the miko safe.

Yes...Oda Nobunaga would be Iku's path to capturing Sesshomaru's miko. It was the perfect plan.  


 

"You look fine. Quit worrying."

Shin scowled at Rin and looked away. He did not 'look fine'. She was obviously lying to save his feelings. How could he look good when he was such a freak. People were staring at him. It was worse now than when he was a petite dragon. At least then he could crawl down into Rin's warm, soft bosom and hide. He cursed, as he no longer had that luxury.

While he was grateful to be walking upright, it was still not enough. Shin spotted several young women huddled together staring at him and whispering. He couldn't hear what they were saying over the crush of voices all around the marketplace, but he could very easily guess. Gods, now they were giggling behind their hands. With a frustrated growl, he turned away.

This was not good. He had gone from being laughed at because of his minute dragon size to being laughed at because he was a monstrosity. Any hopes that he had of returning to his home and picking up his old life were crushed beneath the gawking eyes of every human that he passed.

Were not these people in YoKaishi supposed to be tolerant of youkai? A disgruntled snort escaped as the thought fled his mind. He was not youkai. That was the reason. He was not human, yet he was not youkai either. He was an abomination.

"Hello, handsome."

Shin turned to find a street whore attempting to get close to him. The stench of her sex made his nose wrinkle in disgust. Her eyes grew wide when he looked down at her, openly baring the fury of his soul for her to see. She immediately stumbled back and turned to hurry away.

"You should be nicer, Shin. You scared that poor woman half to death."

"As if I care," he drawled. Rin was innocent and human. She couldn't smell the foul odor of a dozen spent men between that nasty woman's thighs. She had no idea of how revolting Shin found such a creature, and he was reluctant to tell her.

 

"She called you handsome. See, I told you that you were, but you wouldn't believe me."

"A woman like that would call a slug handsome if it meant coins to line her grimy pockets."

Rin came to a stop in front of a stand selling sweet cinnamon bread rolls. They smelled delightful. She paused to carefully look over the delicious smelling wares, and after pointing to a couple of delectable pieces that she wanted to purchase, she glanced over her shoulder. Shin was still frowning. Apparently, nothing had changed since last she looked.

Shin was so disturbed by his transformation that Rin wondered if he would not have been happier as a dragon. Since the spell, he had been brooding and irritable. She had tried several times to cheer him up, but the task was beginning to seem impossible.

Even the clothing that she bought for him did nothing to change his outlook. He still saw himself as ugly while he was anything but. The kuro tomosode that she purchased was splendid. The dark maroon color went beautifully with Shin's coloring and hair. The intricate stitching of bamboo and meandering golden dragons must have required tedious hours of labor from the seamstress, yet Shin had not seemed pleased at all. He had even commented that it was 'pretentious'. Rin couldn't understand it. With the matching plum hakama and the braided obi, he looked like a royal. She had been sure that he would love it. It had cost her a sizable portion of her personal pin money.

After hours of arguing and getting nowhere with her goal, Rin had finally given up—for now at least. The day was too nice to spend fretting over Shin's foul mood. The most she could hope for was that time would ease his anger and frustrations, allowing him to accept his new form and hopefully find some sort of happiness in life.

"Come on, Shin. I see someone doing landscape paintings up ahead!" Rin hurried along, squeezing agilely through the crowd and only stopping when she was in front of the artist’s booth. "Oh! Aren't they lovely?" She exclaimed with a dreamy expression. She turned and smiled to Shin who had just joined her. "Lord Sesshomaru allows me to paint, but I have no talent for it. I would love to be able to paint something this beautiful."

All Shin could do as he listened to Rin was think of how lovely she would be on canvas. The way she was looking at him now, with those huge brown eyes opened so wide and full of wonder, with her full pink lips tilted into a smile that would make a man's heart melt into a puddle at her feet. Gods, he would give anything to have her love him, but that was impossible for she loved another. A youkai.

Rin was probably the only woman in the entire world that would not turn away from him in disgust.

Shin cursed that damned fox, Shippo, for stealing her from him. Had he not been trapped as a miniature dragon, he could have had a chance to woo her before the fox stole her from him.

After Rin had looked her fill, the two of them strolled off, heading back to the inn to get a warm drink. Even though the snow was gone, the temperature had only risen a few degrees, and Rin was eager to get back to the warmth of the fire and perhaps enjoy a nice cup of aromatic tea. They decided that it would be easier to go around the back way and avoid the crush of pedestrians. Shin was just happy to avoid the stares of everyone that thought he was a freak of nature.

As they stepped around a stack of firewood and walked between a wooden wall and a stone one, the two of them were stopped by a vaguely familiar voice.

"Well look at who we have here. If it isn't that pretty little lady I met yesterday. Rin, wasn't it?"

Abruptly Rin turned around and nearly slammed into Shin's back. Shin had already turned, having sensed the beast approaching before Rin. With enhanced hearing as well as smell, Shin knew that the boar was following nearly as soon as they left the crowd. He had hoped the fool would lose interest and leave them alone. Unfortunately, the boar was too stupid for that.

"Leave us," Shin ordered.

The boar's beady eyes grew wide for a moment and then narrowed with obvious distaste. He looked Shin over with a long perusing stare. "A half-breed thinks to order this Tokujiro?"

Despite the boar's insolent attitude, Shin was taken aback. "Half-breed?" he muttered. The term was new to him. It was not that he had never before heard someone called half-breed. It was the fact that he had just been labeled as such. His dark, brows lowered as he considered the truth of it. His chest actually ached with the reality. Yes. He was, indeed, a half-breed.

As a rule the term was reserved for the offspring of a human and youkai mating. In rare cases it was a term tossed at those offspring resulting from a match between a native and someone from abroad. It didn't seem appropriate to call himself such, as he was born completely human. Shin shook his head in persistent denial. How could it be? But the truth was there, he had only to look. He carried the claw and eye of a beast. His senses were enhanced beyond humanity. Shin had to come to terms with the reality of his body. He was human, but he was also dragon.

'Gods...I am, truly, a half-breed.'

Shin's distraction was obvious, and Tokujiro's fascination with Rin persistent beyond control. The big boar moved with surprising speed for one so large and bulky. He had the girl in his beefy arms before her companion realized his error.

"Eeek!" Rin cried, shocked that the youkai had accosted her so suddenly. "Let me go!"

Tokujiro merely laughed and leaned into his prize, rooting against her soft neck and drawing in a deep breath that sounded stuttered through his thick, pig-like nose. "Little Rin smells nice. Tokujiro thinks that he will take her home with him." His voice then dropped to a revoltingly husky depth. "I would surely enjoy having you in my bed."

"Eww!" Rin shrieked in disgust, shaking her head fiercely in an attempt to escape the boar's disturbing ministrations against her skin.

"Release her now and I will consider letting you walk away from this."

Rin opened her tightly clenched eyes and gasped when she saw Shin. Not only had his voice changed, descending to a rough baritone, but his body had changed as well. Shimmering scales now covered over half of his face. The hand that possessed three claw-tipped fingers was now completely transformed into a dragon-like paw with five incredibly long curved talons. As if Rin were not shocked enough by Shin's unexpected transformation, he moved into a crouch that revealed a strong dragon tail behind him, slashing from side to side in agitation.

When he spoke again, Rin saw that even his teeth were remade into jagged points—his tongue long and forked. With his multi-hued hair whirling about his head, Shin made a frightening sight for any opponent.

"No more warnings! I will gut you for touching her!"

Tokujiro suddenly got over his own shock and tossed Rin to the side. "Do not go anywhere, pretty Rin. Tokujiro will only need a minute to take care of this fool!"

Shin's powerful legs launched him forward into the taller youkai. The impact sent them both tumbling and rolling to the ground. Tokujiro could barely keep the dragon's menacing claw from ripping through his fat belly. He pulled his hoofed feet up and kicked outward with all his might, sending the half-breed sailing through the air and crashing into a pile of firewood. The logs scattered this way and that but were no obstacle for the enraged Shin.

He scrambled out of the pile and growled at the beast that dared put his foul hands on Rin. Tokujiro realized that his attacker was not going to be easily defeated, and so he reached for his sword. Shin reacted without thought, breathing in a deep tumultuous breath that simmered with the fury of his emotions.

The exhalation came soon after.

The blast of fire that raged from Shin's open mouth hit the boar youkai, incinerating him on impact. The scream of pain and fury that Tokujiro released was cut short as his body violently turned to ash. Even Shin was not expecting that. When the reality of it hit, he clamped his steaming mouth shut and stumbled back until he fell, landing sprawled on his butt upon the ground.

"Wh...what..?" His voice was weak and filled with staggering confusion and self-disgust.

Rin stood in place, stunned from the scene. She stared at the spot where Tokujiro had just recently stood, hale and hearty. Now there was nothing but a charred spot on the ground. She finally managed to drag her eyes from the blackened stain and look at Shin. No longer was he the raging half-dragon, half-man. With the dragon receded, Shin was again in his previous form.

"Wow," Rin whispered in awe. "That was...amazing."

"Rin."

The familiar sound of that voice spun Rin around with excitement. "Lord Sesshomaru!"

Sesshomaru turned from his ward and silently studied her dazed companion. Rin had yet to introduce him, but Sesshomaru had a suspicion of who the man actually was. His scent was similar to the pixie dragon that had taken up with Rin—one that had once been human. Now the dragon appeared to be turned human once more. Human yet with an abundance of flaws. Obviously the reversal spell was not completely successful. It was the way of magic. Reversing a powerfully cast spell held certain risks.

"Did you see what Shin did?" Rin asked.

With his suspicion of the half-breed's identity confirmed, Sesshomaru answered. "The dragon fire has highly combustible properties. It would do him well to learn control."

"Hai, Sesshomaru-sama," Rin replied. "We will work on it together." She then turned a brilliant smile on Shin. "Won't we, Shin-kun?"

Shin looked ashamedly away from the youkai lord, feeling completely put in his place. While Rin seemed to believe the explosion of searing flame from his mouth a good thing, the youkai knew it to be what it really was...volatile and dangerous. He could easily have harmed Rin with his attack. It was foolish to turn such an explosive force on an enemy in such close quarters and even more stupid to do it with someone he cared for standing nearby.

The fact that he had actually mutated into something even less human than he was previously made Shin frightened and angry. It was so unfair! After years of being trapped in that tiny dragon body, he was finally free only to become trapped in something else entirely. Would the Gods never see fit to end his torment?

'That boar...' Shin couldn't help but to feel a sense of remorse over his actions. Had the beast deserved such a horrible death? To be burned alive? Incinerated? Lord Sesshomaru was right. The dragon flame is a deadly force and one that he must learn to control. Thinking back on all the times he tried so very hard to produce a flame from his tiny dragon nostrils made Shin curse beneath his breath. He had wanted the power so badly then, and now he only wished to be rid of it.

Sesshomaru considered the worth of allowing the half-dragon, half-human to follow him. He had little doubt that he would attempt to do so, after all, he seemed to be quite taken with Rin. It was that loyalty to his ward, which gave Sesshomaru pause. On one hand, the creature could offer Rin a more solid circle of protection in the event that he was unavailable. On the other, Sesshomaru was concerned that the obvious loyalty might evolve into obsession. It would not do to have a half-dragon pining after Rin.

As he watched the boy rise from the ground, Sesshomaru wondered if he might be too late. The way his unmatched eyes fell on her seemed to speak of more than mere loyalty. The way he walked toward her spoke of something akin to affection.

Sesshomaru turned his appraising eyes on Rin. She had grown into a lovely young woman. Her hair was mass of wavy brown highlighted by auburn and chestnut. Her eyes, large when she was a child, were still just as big, luminous, and kind. They displayed wisdom beyond her years. Those eyes alone were enough to make a man weak.

Again he studied the half mortal, Shin. Would it be in Rin's best interest to send him on his way? Would his presence put her at more risk than good? He thought back to the recent declaration of one particular fox youkai. Kagome's Shippo had made it clear that he wished to court Rin. He even proclaimed his love for her, and Rin had openly accepted his words and uttered ones of her own.

It was clear to him that while Shin may have feelings for Rin, she did not return them in the same way. As much as it pained Sesshomaru to consider her a maturing young woman, it was undeniable any longer. Rin's youthful days were trailing behind and adulthood was welcoming her with open arms. A mortal's life was too short.

Sesshomaru pushed aside the morbid thoughts that rose when thinking of Rin's mortality and instead focused on the issue at hand. Clearly, Rin's heart belonged to Shippo. This understanding released Sesshomaru from any concerns that he had for her heart being broken by the dragon. As for her safety, he had to admit the dragon had done a fine job of destroying that low-level boar youkai. He would never admit it, but he had been impressed with the strength of his fire.

With an imperceptible nod, Sesshomaru decided to allow the dragon's presence. He would have Jaken train him to control the dragon's flame.

"Come Rin. We are departing from this village."

Rin skipped up to him and smiled. "Are we going back home, Lord Sesshomaru?"

He looked down and shook his head. "No. We are going to find Kagome."

Rin's eyes brightened and a mischievous smile curled her lips as she quickly looked away. Lord Sesshomaru never spoke of anyone with such emotion in his voice. He had even called Kagome by name. It sent Rin's heart into a wild rhythm to think of the reason behind it. It could only be one thing.

Lord Sesshomaru had fallen in love!  


 

Miroku was taking a bite of the delicious stew and having a nice conversation with Monk Asahiko, who was in charge of the grounds around the temple Enryaku-ji. Miroku had been impressed with its beauty and hoped to emulate it at his own temple back in Edo village.

Suddenly the doors to the main room slipped open and two sohei monks came in. He could tell there was an air of anxiety about them. Several other monks looked up from their plates as well, obviously sensing the men's distress. They immediately bowed to the room and then approached Head Priest Konatsu going to their knees and bowing low.

Miroku was close enough that he could hear their voices, though they spoke low enough that most of the vast room could not.

"Honorable master. We have come with dire news of the siege."

Priest Konatsu pushed his half-eaten meal away and turned his full attention on his subordinates. "Speak. I would know of your concerns."

The warrior on the right shook his head. "Our fears have been realized, master. The hidden trail has been discovered. Soldiers of Nobunaga have increased in number, and it seems that they plan to soon attack."

Konatsu considered this for a moment and then shook his head. "Nobunaga would be foolish to attack the Tendai sect in such a manner. It is unfortunate that our hidden path has been uncovered. I must wonder if Monk Miroku and the miko were spotted entering it?" He made a disgusted sound. "Eh, it matters not. The Oda clan would have found it eventually. The siege is growing long and they are impatient for our surrender."

"Will we give it to them, master?" The second soldier asked. "Will we surrender to that tyrant?"

The face of Head Priest Konatsu twisted into a mask of determination and fury. "Absolutely not! The Tendai bend for no one but Buddha!"

Miroku had listened silently until now. His concern was growing with each word, building with each emotion, until he was frantically sucking in each breath. 'What siege? What soldiers?' His heart was beating madly in his chest, and the question came bursting from his mouth without reserve. "Mt. Hiei is under siege?"

Konotsu turned his attention on the young monk who seemed to be suddenly under a great deal of stress. "Monk Miroku? Are you saying that you were unaware of the current siege on Mt. Hiei?"

Miroku's mouth opened and closed, appearing much like a fish out of water. His eyes were bugging from his head. Over and over he heard the word siege echoing in his head. How had this happened? How had he missed the troop of soldiers? At last the answer stuttered out. "Yes, Konatsu-sama. I was completely unaware." He looked around the room where everyone was sitting in relative peace and then back to the head priest. "I had no idea. It appears as if you have no cares or worries. Why are your people not on alert?"

Head Priest Konatsu actually chuckled. "We are, young monk. Why should we overly concern ourselves? Oda Nobunaga has his head in the clouds. He reaches for a greatness that will never be his! Our soldiers are holding him at bay. He would not dare attack the sacred mountain!"

Miroku could not believe his ears. They knew that Nobunaga was bent on taking the mountain, yet they never said a word? Were they so confident in their safety here on Mt. Hiei?

Konatsu continued, "Your father was often a visitor to our home here on Mt. Hiei. The path where you approached was the path he always traveled. It was hidden from others. A secret path, if you will. Until now, that path was the only path free of Nobunaga's soldiers. It was our way of transporting necessary foodstuffs, as well as sending sohei to assist in our strikes against Nobunaga. It is unfortunate that he has discovered the opening. It will make the siege much more difficult to bear." His frown only held for a moment and then he cast a smile around the room. "Never fear, my people. Nobunaga will not hold out long. Our soldiers are strong, and he would not dare desecrate this sacred ground!"

Miroku didn't say a word. He simply bowed in respect and excused himself. This was unbelievable! He had escorted Kagome to the worst place possible! All this time he thought he was hiding her away in the safest of places, but now he discovered that Nobunaga was bent on taking the mountain!

Miroku stumbled into Kagome's small room, so engrossed in his frantic thoughts that he did not, at first, realize that its sole occupant was sitting up.

"Miroku?" Kagome uttered sleepily.

Immediately Miroku's eyes grew wide and a smile appeared on his face. "Lady Kagome! You are finally awake."

Kagome gave him a groggy, little laugh and rubbed her eyes. She looked around the unfamiliar room, drawing her gentle brow in confusion. "Where are we? Where is Inuyasha?"

Miroku's hand immediately went to the back of his neck and rubbed nervously. "Heh, I was afraid you were going to ask that."

"Why? What's wrong? Where are we, Miroku?"

Finally, he shook his head. "We are at the monastery atop Mt. Hiei."

At first Kagome just stared at him in confusion. Thoughts of how they had traveled so far while she was unaware passed through her mind. Also thoughts of familiarity. Something about Mt. Hiei....

Suddenly it came to her in a flood of grade school memory. The battle of Mt. Hiei!

"Oh Gods! We have to get out of here!"

   


 

A/N: I'd like to apologize for the lateness of this chapter. There are several reasons for it, which would only bore you, but made it impossible for me and Risa to get this out sooner. The next chapter is already half written, so the wait will not be nearly as long next time. Thanks for your patience. I hope this chapter made up for the wait!

Next chapter: Kagome finds herself trapped in a terrifying ancient battle from her modern day textbooks. Will Sesshomaru be able to save her from Nobunaga's clutches? Find out in Chapter 34!

I would like to note that although most of my historical facts concerning Mt. Hiei's monks and Oda Nobunaga are correct, I have taken some fictional privileges in order to suit my story.

I would like to thank the following sites for their wealth of information on Oda Nobunaga, Mt. Hiei and the sohei Buddhist warrior monks. I was really impressed with the azuchiwind/monks site. You can find anything and everything about Oda Nobunaga there. He was a fascinating man.

* This site includes actual quotes by Oda Nobunaga used in this chapter: http://www.geocities.com/azuchiwind/monks.htm

http://www.samurai-archives.com/nobunaga.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sohei

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hiei