InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 37 – Miko From the Future ( Chapter 37 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I can only dream of having the money that Rumiko Takahashi makes off of her anime, Inuyasha. Me? I’m just a non-profit fanfiction author who adores the show and loves to write smut.

 

Chapter 37 – Miko From the Future

A/N: Thanks to all of my wonderful readers! You are the best fanfiction fans on the net!

Thanks to my beta, Risa! I couldn't ask for a better editor or a better friend.

Well guys, this chapter was the longest yet. 16,400 words. I suppose I could have left it as one, since a couple of the previous chapters were over 15,000 words, but I decided to cut it in half. It will be easier to edit that way. So, don't freak out when you realize Chapter 37 is not quite 7,000 words. As you will see, Chapter 38 is over 9,400. It's a 2 for 1 deal—hope you enjoy!  


 

"What is this place?"

Kagome sniffed back a wayward tear and pushed away from the Bone Eater's Well. It was still empty and cold. There was no warm blue magic anymore. It was dark and creepy now, without hope and expectation to keep it warm. She sighed, remembering the lost feeling of stepping into her mother's home after a long trip in the Feudal Era. The cool air would surround her with familiar smells of mama's cooking and ojiisan's liniment. She could still remember hearing Souta's excited voice shouting her name as she pushed the back door open.

Sadly, they were all lost to her. The well was dead—the portal closed. She could never go home again.

Kagome turned away from the old well and met the curious eyes of her demon lover. It was strange how much she could see now when she gazed into those magnificent golden eyes. Where before they fell in love, she had seen only cold calculation, there was now concern. "It was once a portal to my home."

Sesshomaru took her hand in his much larger one and gently led her into the tall grass surrounding the well's clearing. There he sat down and urged her to join him. Kagome smiled and knelt, but then decided that she would like to look at the sky, so she shifted and lay on her back, resting her head on Sesshomaru's hard, but comforting thigh.

"Tell me about your home, Kagome."

Memories of her time in the future began flooding her mind. Walks in the park, eating ice cream and going to the mall with her friends, as well as long days of sitting in class listening to her teachers teaching things that would never be of use to her in the Feudal Era.

She was feeling sentimental today and didn't really understand why. For the first time in years her life was taking a turn for the better. There was hope for happiness and a family. She shouldn't be feeling so...sad.

"I don't know if you are aware of this, Sesshomaru, but I come from a place far, far away...in the future to be exact."

"Hn. Then it is as the witch said."

Kagome tilted her head and met his eyes. "Witch?"

"Hai. The witch from YoKaishi told me of your time travel."

"Wow. She really does have the sight," Kagome murmured. "The last time I saw her was dreadful. She had a stroke..." At his confused expression she explained, "A malady of the brain. It affects her motor skills—movements—and speech. She wanted to tell me something desperately, but the only thing that she could get out was 'banshi'. For a while, because of that premonition, I was terrified that I would die in the battle with Asuza. Now, I think she might have seen the aftermath of Mt. Hiei. I'm almost positive that she saw Miroku's death."

Kagome then eased back into her comfy position and continued. "You see, I come from the twenty-first century."

Sesshomaru threaded his fingers through Kagome's mass of tumbling raven hair, marveling at the silky texture even as he wondered over the astounding origins of his sweet miko. The twenty-first century seemed almost incomprehensible to him, but he was curious as to the changes that the world as he knows it would face.

"In the time that I come from, this entire area is called Tokyo. There the world is filled with amazing things such as running water and television."

"Terebi?" Sesshomaru repeated—the unfamiliar word sticking on his tongue.

"Hai, terebi. Television is amazing, Sesshomaru. It's like moving art, or theater, condensed into a small box with a glass screen. There are hundreds of different shows. You can check the weather for days in advance or watch people called actors perform all sorts of entertainment." She sighed heavily. "I really miss watching TV."

Sesshomaru did not respond. It was too fantastical to imagine. How could one fit an entire theatre into a small box? Why would one wish to do so in the first place?

Kagome continued reminiscing. "In the future, all young people go to school, which is where they go to gain the knowledge needed to get a good job in their future. I know that it's unheard of here, but women in the future have almost the same opportunities that men do. They go to school and then they can become teachers, lawyers and even engineers. In the future, anything is possible."

Sesshomaru was not sure that he liked the underlying message in her voice. She sounded as if she missed her future more than she liked the here and now. Was Kagome unhappy to be trapped in the past?

Kagome shook her head of the silly longing that she held for indoor plumbing and futuristic beliefs before turning her thoughts to family. "I miss my mama the most. She is so sweet, Sesshomaru. You would like her. She understood my reasons for coming here, though she was terribly worried about me."

"And your father," Sesshomaru prompted.

Kagome fell silent for a moment. "I miss him too, but to be honest I don't really remember much about him."

"I have often wondered what you meant when you said that he was killed in an 'elevator' accident."

Kagome giggled a little, as she remembered telling her silent youkai about her father's ill-fated accident in the elevator. It was still strange, knowing that she had been telling those things to Lord Sesshomaru the whole time. "In the future, there are so many people that the buildings are built upward. Instead of one level, they extend vertically into the sky. They tower above like metal mountains. Imagine a single level mansion, all constructed of metal and glass, and then imagine that same mansion with fifty three more identical mansions all sitting on top of it. It would be impossible for the hundreds of people working in those buildings to travel those heights by stairs everyday, so they use what is called an 'elevator'.

"Elevators are metal boxes built to lift groups of people up from floor to floor. My dad was on his way home from work one day when the pulley that held the elevator cable broke. He was trapped in there with ten other people for nearly an hour. The workers were close to freeing them when suddenly the entire assembly came apart. They crashed seventeen floors to the ground. Only two of the ten survived. Unfortunately, my father was not one of them."

Sesshomaru ached from the pain in Kagome's voice as if it was his own. It was clear that the subject was still upsetting for her. He stroked her cheek softly, transmitting his love for her with a gentle caress. "It must have been difficult for you."

"I was only six years old at the time, so I hardly remember him. What I remember most is the years after when my mama cried herself to sleep at night. She loved him dearly. It took her a long time to come to terms with it. She put up a brave face for me, but I could still tell how much she missed him. It was especially hard on her because Souta was just a baby."

"Souta is your brother?"

Kagome spent the next hour of her life telling Sesshomaru all about her brother, grandfather and even her friends. He listened to her prattle on, and though she suspected once or twice that his mind had roamed; he proved her wrong in the end by asking a question about something she had said. In fact, after telling him about her friends and their penchant for annoying her about Hojo, Sesshomaru interrupted when he asked, "This 'Hojo' was your beau?"

Kagome giggled and shook her head. "He wanted to be. I tried to like him, but he just wasn't for me." She then rolled up onto her side, sat up and put her arms around Sesshomaru, before leaning close to his ear. In a low, sensual voice she whispered, "Hojo was not a powerful demon lord with glorious white hair and magical golden eyes. How could an average human boy compare to you, my love?"

Sesshomaru released a low rumble of pleasure and pulled her fully into his lap. Kagome straddled him perfectly, bringing her woman's heat close to his intensely interested member. "This Sesshomaru would be forced to confront the mortal for your favor."

Kagome laughed, remembering a school play where Hojo bravely faced Inuyasha and his sword. Even though Hojo thought that it was part of the play, she had been impressed by his spirit. She wondered how he would have fared against Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru could see the contemplation in her eyes. It made him feel strange inside. Possessive. He growled. "The boy would not have lived to see another day."

Kagome laughed and hugged him closer. She leaned her head against his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. "There would have been no need. I only have eyes for you."

"Lord Sesshomaru!"

The gravelly voice abruptly squawked through their solitude causing Kagome to groan. "Why do you keep him around?"

Sesshomaru rubbed his hand affectionately over her soft hair. "At times, I am forced to ponder the same question."

"Lord Sesshomaru!" Jaken shouted once again. It seemed that their peaceful time together was at an end. Kagome sighed and began to pull back from the warmth of his chest, but Sesshomaru's arms slipped up to hold her in place. She looked up at him in confusion, but before she could ask what he was doing, Jaken burst through the trees once again screeching, "Lord Sesshomaru!"

"Jaken." That one word, snapped rather irritably, was enough to alert Jaken to his whereabouts. In seconds the green imp was pushing through the tall grass surrounding them. Much to Kagome's surprise, Jaken's bulbous eyes grew even wider upon finding them in such an intimately comfortable pose. Wisely, he held his tongue in front of his master.

"Oh, Lord Sesshomaru, here you are! I have been looking all over for you."

Unsurprisingly, Sesshomaru merely sat there, quietly waiting for Jaken to inform him of the matter so important as to interrupt his master's solitude. Jaken stammered for only a moment before getting to the point. "A missive has arrived from Prince Uchuu of the Snow Monkey clan."

That perked Sesshomaru's attention. "And?"

Jaken reached into his haori and pulled out the scroll, unrolled it, and began to read. " The item has been secured. You can expect our arrival two days hence. It is signed—rather impudently I might add—merely Uchuu." Jaken rolled the letter up and stuffed it back into the folds of his robe. "If you ask me, my lord, that ruffian prince is highly disrespectful. That message hardly makes a bit of sense."

It made perfect sense to Sesshomaru. Obviously Iku had been delivered to his dungeon. In truth, the idea of that bird anywhere near his estate made Sesshomaru's insides quiver. It was, however, just as he planned. Iku was now his prisoner to do with as he pleased.

He did not bother to elaborate for his servant, or his mate. Instead he informed them that it was time to take their leave. "Prince Uchuu and his mate will be paying us a visit. We shall depart immediately." He turned to Jaken and said, "Jaken, gather Rin and Ah-Un."

After Jaken had scrambled off, disappearing in the tall dried grass, Sesshomaru pulled Kagome up for a long tender kiss. She melted against him, giving rise to a budding desire that never seemed to completely dissipate—not where she was concerned. It took considerable willpower to end the embrace. Sesshomaru indulgently nibbled on her puckered bottom lip before pulling away. "Kagome, even now I wish to lay you down and make love to you, but I cannot. It is time that you said good-bye to your friends."

Kagome's heart skipped a beat. She knew this time was coming, but that had done little to ease her fear. Since coming to the Feudal Era so long ago, she has been with her friends, living here in this village. She knows the people here and is familiar with the area. There has hardly been a time when she was separated from Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku and Shippo. Now Sesshomaru expected to take her away from her second family—the only family she had left.

Sesshomaru could sense Kagome's sudden unease. He could smell the tiniest hint of fear. 'Is she afraid to come away with me?' "Do not be afraid, Kagome. No one will harm you at the Western Citadel."

Even the name of his home sounded ominous. A 'citadel' was built for protection. It was a place that housed many against invasion. It hardly sounded like 'home'. Kagome couldn't help thinking of the youkai that lived there. How would they greet her—a human miko—that shows up as mate to their youkai lord? Inuyasha's mother had not been welcomed there. That she knew for a fact. Myoga once told her the story of Inuyasha's father and his final attempt to keep Lady Izayoi safe from his enemies. Would that be the fate awaiting them? Would Sesshomaru's subjects reject her and turn against him?

"Calm yourself, Kagome. My home is yours. My people will accept you." Silently, Sesshomaru added, 'or I shall destroy them all.' To Kagome he said, "I will protect you." Kagome smiled and leaned in to lightly kiss his lips. The brush of her silky flesh against his own made him want more of the same, but he refrained from pursuing her delights—for now.

Resigning herself to the fact that she couldn't have Sesshomaru without accepting his status and responsibilities, Kagome put on a smile and crawled to her feet. Sesshomaru unfolded his long legs to join her and she took his hand. This was the beginning of her new life with her husband. All young women eventually leave their families in order to start a new life with their mate. She was going to do the same. There was no way for either of them to know what awaited them at the Western Citadel, so she would hold onto her fears until she had a reason to substantiate them.

"Well, let's get going then."

Sesshomaru found her irresistible when she was being brave. He was positive that it was this trait which had drawn him to her in the first place. Kagome had the innate ability to push aside her fears and walk into the unknown with determination. Strangely, that understanding gave him a sense of pride. It was odd for him to feel pride for another being. It made him want to ravish her all over again.

After once more gaining control of his desires, Sesshomaru pulled her toward the village. Together they retraced their steps, leaving Kagome's past behind. The Bone Eater's Well would always hold a special place for both of them; for Kagome, it was the gateway to her home, and for Sesshomaru, it delivered her to him. Without the well, they would never have come together. She would have lived out her life in the future and he, his life in her history long past.

How would his life have been if Kagome had never come through the well? Sesshomaru thought back to the day he met her—the very first time that he laid eyes on the miko Kagome. It was one of his more anomalous moments in life. Using the Un-mother against Inuyasha was in excess of his normally deviant nature. In fact, that trickery probably even surpassed the time when he made a pact with Naraku by using the fragment from the Shikon jewel.

Thinking back, Sesshomaru remembered Kagome's youthful face and her fierce support of Inuyasha. Even then, as he spoke ill of Inuyasha's being seen with a human woman, he had found her beautiful—though at the time he had been entirely too arrogant to acknowledge that fact. Now he felt that he had grown beyond such petty misconceptions, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with telling his woman what he thought. "You are very beautiful, Kagome." To his delight she blushed a becoming shade of pink as she smiled, blinking up at him.

"Domo," Sesshomaru. "I'm glad that you think so."

Oh, he definitely thought so.

Her beauty was so stunning that he could not believe he had missed the blinding truth of it from the start. Even in his father's tomb, he had thought her exceptionally pretty—for a mortal—but it was not enough to overcome him as now. Now she was incomparable. Her hair, so thick and lustrous, fell heavily down her back in rolling waves of ebony silk. The light from the afternoon sun cast streaming shimmers of blue highlights dancing through the healthy mass. With two big blue eyes—a color rarely seen in this land—she could bring any male happily to his knees. Even her nose was perfect—small and upturned just slightly at the tip—but none of it compared to the soft pink delicacy of her luscious lips. He could devour them for hours and never grow bored. Just thinking of all the delightful ways that he could take pleasure from them was enough to make him aroused.

Had she been this lovely all along?

Perhaps Kagome's beauty was magnified—made perfect—by his love for her?

Sesshomaru turned away from her entrancing face and forced his attention on the path ahead. While they walked, he held her hand in his own, though it was an unusual thing to do. Yes, it was strange, but it felt...right. As with all things before Kagome, the odd human custom took on new meaning now. Something that he once found foolish in others was coveted now simply because he had Kagome.

What would his life have been like without her? Sesshomaru knew the answer and he knew it well.

Desolate.

"Do you mind if Shippo comes with us?"

Kagome's unexpected question shook him from his thoughts. He considered the kitsune and the all too obvious problems that would come along with him. The boy thought himself in love with Rin, in fact, he had begun courting her rigorously. Would it be wise to allow his continued presence? On the other hand, Kagome would be feeling anxious about meeting his people. To Kagome, the fox was practically her son. She would want him near, and his presence would soothe her.

"The kitsune may accompany us if he wishes."

"Domo, Sesshomaru," Kagome chimed happily.

Already he could feel her tension ease. It was a good decision. He just hoped that he would not come to regret it.

Sesshomaru sniffed the air and fought the urge to curl his lip in distaste. It was not so easy giving up a centuries old aversion for Inuyasha, but he was determined—for Kagome's sake—to attempt an unspoken truce with his half-brother. As things stood, he had little left with which to support the thorough disgust that he used to harbor. It was ridiculous to despise Inuyasha for his tainted blood because one day in the future he, himself, would sire a child of mixed blood. And he was infinitely anticipating every moment of the procreation process.

Sesshomaru's lids lowered to half-mast as soon as a vision of hot steamy nights slipped through his mind. Inuyasha, who had so recently been the subject of his thoughts, was forgotten while he was flooded by stimulating nude images of his lovely new mate. As he was thoroughly distracted, Sesshomaru failed to alert Kagome of Inuyasha's presence, which resulted in her sudden squeal of fright when the baka jumped down from an overhanging tree limb, landing directly in her path, and just inches from her nose.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted. "You nearly scared me to death!"

"You're tougher than that, Kagome," Inuyasha teased, smirking from ear to ear because he was able to sneak up on her. Inuyasha looked up from her chastising and flushed face to meet the eyes of his brother. Strangely, he saw something less than hatred staring back at him. Inuyasha was a little stunned at the revelation and he went silent for several moments. This was something a little hard to digest. Sesshomaru had never looked at him like this. Never once in his whole life.

It was Kagome's influence, of course, that made it possible to witness such a thing. Anyone that knew her would never doubt her capability to turn a man's heart, but seeing it now in Sesshomaru's face was enough to leave him...dazed.

"Is there a problem, brother?"

Inuyasha's eyes suddenly widened with the shock of hearing Sesshomaru speak to him in such a...civilized way. There had been no animosity—no angry slur—in his question. It was almost like something a man would ask...his brother. Was this a trick? Inuyasha felt the familiar wall of self-protection slamming up around him, but the look in Sesshomaru's eyes stopped it from taking a firm hold. Was he seriously attempting to put their differences aside?

Inuyasha glanced quickly over to Kagome and she gave him a coaxing smile. She knew that this was strange for him. Kagome had always known him so well. It was clear that she wanted him to give Sesshomaru a chance. There was a soft plea smoldering in her eyes. She really wanted them to work this out.

Without a blink, Inuyasha turned back to Sesshomaru and offered a half-cocked smile. "No problem here. I was just wondering if Kagome could spare me a minute…alone."

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes in annoyance. He was not easily compelled to release her to Inuyasha for a private conference. This truce thing had grown tedious very fast.

"Sure, Inuyasha," Kagome said, before stepping up and taking his arm, not once thinking to seek permission from her mate.

Inuyasha smiled down at her as he allowed himself to be led away. He glanced up to see Sesshomaru's reaction and was humored by his expression. Looks like Sesshomaru is discovering just how much his new mate is different from other girls. He wanted to laugh, or at least wink just to annoy the bastard, but there was some small part of him that simply felt sorry for the guy. Kagome could be a hard one to handle. Sesshomaru had no idea what he was getting into.

Sesshomaru opened his mouth to say...something to his mate, but he wasn't exactly sure what. Should he chastise her, or at least make his displeasure over her abrupt dismissal known? Having a mate was completely new to him. His mother left when he was young, he barely remembered seeing his parents together in the same room, so he was totally ignorant of behavior acceptable from his bride.

A thought then occurred to him.

This was Kagome that he was thinking about. It hardly mattered what he said, as his saucy little mate was going to do it her way at any rate. She was a miko from the future and he would simply have to adjust. Instead of rubbing his temper the wrong way, as one expected, that realization merely made him smile. Life would never be boring again, not with Kagome by his side.

This newfound revelation did not, however, mean that Sesshomaru would completely bend to the hanyou. Inuyasha may have wanted to speak to Kagome alone, but that did not mean that Sesshomaru couldn't still listen. After all, Inuyasha and Kagome are alone—are they not? Unfortunately for Inuyasha, they simply were not far away enough for their conversation to remain confidential.

Sesshomaru smirked and leaned against a tree. This should prove interesting as he could practically smell Inuyasha's nervousness from here. What could have his brother in such a state?

"What's wrong, Inuyasha?" Kagome asked curiously after noticing that he seemed uncommonly nervous. Was that a blush on his cheeks? She blinked and leaned just a tiny bit closer. It sure did look like it. What could have brought this on? It was so unlike Inuyasha.

Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder, unsure if they were far enough from Sesshomaru and the others to be safe from prying youkai ears. Kagome tugged on his shoulder, growing impatient with his silence. He turned to look down at her face and at once knew that he could trust her to help him out with this. She would know what to do.

"Kagome, I need to ask you something," his face grew impossibly redder as he broached such a sensitive topic. "Kagome, I need your advice about...well, about Saya."

Kagome tried to calm the wide knowing smile that threatened to burst forth over her face. This was too cute! Inuyasha was asking her to help him out with Saya! Kagome promptly straightened and cleared her throat. She offered Inuyasha an encouraging smile after composing herself. It seemed to work because he soon continued.

"I was thinking about... You see, I want to...no, that's not right," he muttered in frustration. This idea was going sour fast. What if she laughed at him? 'Hold on, this is Kagome I'm talking to. She won't laugh. She will understand.' He took another deep breath and just let it all out. "I want to ask Saya to be my wife. I wanted to make it special and I was hoping that you, you know, could give me a few ideas, well, that girls...you know...would like."

Kagome's bubbling joy burst forth—no longer to be contained—and she squealed with happiness. Like a maniac, she started jumping up and down clapping her hands with glee. This reaction was not the answer he was looking for. Inuyasha wasn't sure what was happening—his question hadn't warranted this odd behavior—so he backed up a couple of paces and made a face that portrayed his confusion bordering on mortal horror. "Wh...what are you doing?" he croaked.

Spotting Inuyasha's expression, Kagome knew that she had to calm down or he would dart. This was obviously a hard topic for him to bring up.

But she was so happy for them!

'No! You've got to calm down, Kagome.' Now was not the time to flip out. 'Inuyasha is standing on a precipice and I've got to take it slow or he'll turn tail and run!' After getting a grip, she finally gave one last dreamy blink and said, "Sorry, Inuyasha. I'm just so happy for you both!"

The look of puzzlement on his face turned immediately into a frown. "I knew you would do this..." He grumbled and started to turn away.

Kagome was quick to step into his path, blocking him from escape. She crossed her arms and gave him a look. "You're not getting away that easily, mister. People have a right to be happy for you. You deserve to find someone to love and that loves you in return. How could I not be happy for you?!" She then gave him a determined feminine 'humph' and a pert nod of her chin. "You'll just have to get used to it."

Like night and day her expression suddenly softened. Kagome then reached out and affectionately rubbed Inuyasha's arm. "Why don't you tell me what you are having trouble with."

Inuyasha couldn't bear to look at her and say it. He was new to this romance stuff. He had spent his life fighting and that was all he really knew. "I want her to be my mate. I want to ask her in a special place—someplace that we can always go back to and remember."

"Aw, I had no idea you were such a romantic, Inuyasha." Kagome was impressed. Quickly realizing that her comments were not helping, she tried to think of the perfect place. "Oh, I know! Do you remember that little clearing near the lake on the far side of Inuyasha's Forest? There is a small stream running beside of it." She sighed happily in remembrance. "It was so pretty and peaceful there. That would be a beautiful place to ask Saya such an important question." Finding this easier as she went along, Kagome continued. "I think that a picnic there would be perfect—and don't eat everything before she gets any," Kagome reminded, as he was notorious for having bad manners. Although he had improved immensely through the years, he still had a long way to go.

"Just be yourself, Inuyasha. Everything will turn out fine."

Inuyasha hung his head for a moment and sighed. "I know, I'm just..."

"Nervous?"

"Yeah. What if she turns me down?"

Kagome couldn't believe that he would even worry over that! Hadn't he seen the way Saya looks at him? It's like she has magical stars in her eyes! "You know better than that, Inuyasha. I think that Saya really loves you."

"Well, I hope you're right about that. Otherwise, I'm going to look like an idiot."

Kagome laughed softly and rubbed her hand across his back. "Trust me, Inuyasha. You have nothing to worry about."

Sesshomaru shifted against the tree trunk. So his little brother was in love? Interesting. It would be easier on Inuyasha when he took Kagome away. Sesshomaru had experienced a smidgen of regret for his intention to take her. After all, Inuyasha had grown quite fond of Kagome through the years. Sesshomaru would not delusion himself into thinking that this was easy for him. He depended on Kagome for much of his strength, not to mention his reasoning.

The nervous clearing of Inuyasha's throat pulled Sesshomaru from his thoughts. He listened with rapt fascination to what his little brother said next.

"Um...Kagome, I have something else that I need to ask you."

Kagome happily urged him on. It was so adorable to watch him squirm. Inuyasha had always been uncomfortable discussing anything related to affection. That was one of the reasons their relationship just never really took off.

"You said that I could ask you anything, right?"

Kagome quirked a brow. "Of course. You know that."

Inuyasha shifted nervously, his face flushing a blazing red. He looked down at his feet and finally mumbled.

"Tellmehowtotouchherthatwillpleaseherthebest."

"Huh?" She had no idea what he just said.

 

With a gruff huff of air, Inuyasha said it again...slower this time.

"Tell me how to touch her that will please her the best!"

Sesshomaru's golden eyes popped open and he had to stamp down the urge to laugh. Now that he had not expected. His look of humor turned mischievously wicked. 'This should prove interesting.'

Kagome stood stiffly in place, her mouth hanging open and her cheeks flaming red. Had he really asked her that? 'Oh Gods, what should I say?' It took a moment to get a grip on herself and choke down the embarrassment. Inuyasha was her best friend. She was a miko. Mikos gave advice. She could do this. 'Yes! I can do this!'

She swallowed the Jupiter sized lump in her throat and took a steadying breath. "Well..." she cleared her throat again, realizing that the word had come out as a squeak. "...Speaking from experience.." She could not believe that she was saying this. "...I think you should begin slow. I mean, she is inexperienced, so she'll be a little nervous. Just try not to scare her away. And, um, kisses are good. Yeah, kisses are very nice. She'll like that. I, uh, also like it when...Sesshomaru… uh...nibbles my ear." She peeked up, braving a look to see if Inuyasha was laughing at her yet. Thankfully, he wasn't. He actually appeared to be listening.

With a little more confidence she continued. "Lots of touching is perfect. Rubbing is very nice. And don't forget her breasts. The tips are very sensitive."

Inuyasha positively glowed with embarrassment. No. He could never forget those. This advice was pretty good, but he just could not handle listening to Kagome talking about Saya's breasts one more minute. It was having a damning affect on him. Naughty images had somehow taken hold of his mind. He shook them away. He had to end this now before it was too late!

"That's...e...en...enough, Kagome!" Inuyasha frantically stuttered while waving his hands side to side. "I...I think...I can take it from there!"

Just as Kagome released a breath of relief, Sesshomaru nearly choked on his own laughter. The two of them were truly amusing. It had been long since he had laughed at anything—since he had found anything in life to laugh at. Perhaps this new relationship with his brother would be less trying than he first thought.

Kagome's approach forced the taiyoukai to gather his normally stoic facade and put his current amusement behind him. It would not do to let Kagome know that he had been eavesdropping. She would certainly give him a piece of her mind for such a perceived infraction.

Her cheeks were rosy red and her eyes dark and bright. His little miko was embarrassed by her advice. Sesshomaru, however, found it rather endearing. He also stored the information that he garnered away for future use in his bedchamber. The next encounter that he instigated with his luscious little mate would begin with a nibble of her soft, rounded ear.

'Thank you, brother.' Sesshomaru silently chuckled with delight.

He was looking forward to the occasion greatly.

As Sesshomaru and Kagome slowly approached the village, he spotted Inuyasha through the forest, smiling down at the pretty silk spinner. Would that woman be able to make his brother happy? If the look in Inuyasha's eyes was anything to judge by, Sesshomaru decided that Saya would indeed make him a happy man for many years.

"Lord Sesshomaru, is there something wrong?" He turned to Rin who had just stepped out of the slayer's hut. "Gather your things. We will depart very soon."

Kagome caught Shippo's look of despair from the corner of her eyes. He had just stepped from around a hut up ahead when Sesshomaru's gave Rin the order. Hating to see him so upset, Kagome hurried to his side. "Guess what, Shippo? Lord Sesshomaru has given permission for you to accompany me to the Western Citadel!"

"Really Kagome? You aren't bluffing?"

"Would I do that to you?"

Shippo grinned widely before scooping her up and bouncing her around. "That's great, Kagome!"

"Kitsune, you will put this Sesshomaru's mate down."

Still unused to considering Sesshomaru's feelings concerning Kagome, Shippo was, at first, surprised at the order. Realizing his mistake, and that Sesshomaru was deadly serious, he quickly helped Kagome slide to her feet. "Sorry," Shippo murmured in embarrassment. "I forgot."

Kagome laughed and turned an accusing finger on Sesshomaru. "You leave him alone. He wouldn't ever hurt me."

"Hn." It was the only comment suitable as a reply. How could he explain that it was not concern over injury that prompted him to speak out, but the strange pang that he always got whenever another male came too close. Was it jealousy? It was ridiculous of him, but despite his awareness of their harmless relationship, the odd pang was annoyingly persistent. Ridiculous or not, the irritation was real and it would take some time to gain control over it.

"Kagome? Rin said that you were leaving?"

Kagome turned to Sango and offered her a sad little smile. "Yes. Sesshomaru has guests arriving at the Western Citadel and needs to get back. He asked me to go with him."

Sango returned the smile with one of her own. "I understand, Kagome, I really do. I only hope that you are happy."

"Oh, I am, Sango." Kagome gave a joyful little sigh. "I've never been so happy in my life."

Sango reached out and pulled Kagome into a warm, sisterly hug. She squeezed her friend tightly and laughed. "I am truly glad. You deserve to be happy."

Hadn't she just been saying that same thing to Inuyasha? Kagome's smile broadened and she gave Sango one last hug. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

The two women—who held a sisterly bond that went far beyond mere blood—parted with a sparkle in their eyes. Kagome quickly swiped at the moisture threatening to spill and sniffed. "So, are you going to be okay? I know that you are busy with the children. I can always stay and help."

Leave it to Kagome. Only she would put her own happiness aside for a friend. "No. I'll be fine. It is just going to take some getting used to."

Miroku stepped out of their hut and joined them. "I was informed that you are leaving us, Lady Kagome."

Kagome smiled at Miroku and then looked down to offer a warm smile to the twins that clung to either side of Miroku's robes. It looked like Haru, or was it Hoshu, was getting along well with their newly adopted father. "Yes. We are leaving shortly. I'm going to miss you guys."

"We will miss you too, Lady Kagome."

Kagome turned to find Oichi standing behind her. The poor girl had a smile on her face, but Kagome could see the uncertainty in her eyes. "Oh, Oichi, I will definitely miss you. I know that you are worried about taking my place here, but I have faith in you. You are ready. You can do it, I know you can, and besides, if anything goes wrong and you need me, Inuyasha knows where to find me. Sesshomaru said that it isn't far from here at all."

A lone tear trickled down Oichi's pale cheek. She tried to muster up a happy smile, but it was difficult to do so. She loved Kagome and respected her guidance. Deep down, though, Oichi wanted to see Kagome happy. She deserves to be with the man—or youkai—that she loves. She pushed her own silly fears behind her and offered Kagome a smile. "I will be fine as long as you promise to come back often."

"Don't you worry about that. I still have a few things to teach before you can continue completely on your own. You are doing wonderfully and the villagers really look up to you."

"Domo arigatou gozaimasu," Oichi bowed in reverence. "I only hope to make you proud, sensei."

Kagome's heart warmed and she returned her student's respectful bow. Finally she stood and gave them all a friendly wave. "Bye everyone. I'm off to gather my things. Sesshomaru isn't too patient when he is ready to go." Beneath her breath she muttered, "Just like another dog that I know."

Sesshomaru awaited his mate near the edge of the forest. His ghostly figure making an impressive vision on the backdrop of dark shady trees. Shin studied the taiyoukai thoughtfully, trying to decide which way to go. Should he break his ties with Rin now and make his own way in the world? Or should he approach that steely demon and take another path altogether, one that could lead him into a new life filled with happiness or possibly pain? Either way would hold certain risks.

Dare he put his life in the hands of that demon? Even though Rin seemed to practically worship the ground the creature walked on, Shin was hesitant to do the same. He had been raised to distrust demons. A man could easily lose his life, his entire family, to a youkai. He had seen it time and again when governing his village. Youkai were not to be trusted.

Why then, did this particular youkai inspire him to think twice about his previous assessment? Was it the fact that Rin spoke so highly of him? Could it be because she was so obviously happy in his care? Even with the miko, the taiyoukai showed admirable qualities. So, was it safe to trust him?

"Dragon, you will stop your staring at this Sesshomaru."

The sudden and completely unexpected appearance of the tall powerful youkai startled Shin, causing him to stumble back. He glanced automatically to the spot where the white clad figure had, just a second previously, been standing, before glancing back to the imposing body looming over him. Shin swallowed nervously, realizing how fast the youkai could move. "C...can you teach me to move like that?"

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed, yet Shin could not begin to guess what the other was thinking. The look was stoically suspicious, showing neither anger nor nonchalance. For a minute Shin suspected the youkai would dismiss him and walk away, but he was surprised when he merely cocked his head just a little and replied, "Your body is limited. You will never achieve the speed of this Sesshomaru."

"B...But can you make me faster?"

"Hn."

"Is that a...yes?"

With resignation, Sesshomaru relented to the truth. It was difficult to agree so easily, as he knew that it would mean committing to a training regimen. Was this half-dragon, half-human male worth his time? Even more pressing is his concern over the dragon's powerful fire breath. After witnessing the destruction that could be wrought with its abuse, he was inclined to see that the boy was properly trained. He would hate to have to kill him for harming Rin or Kagome.

After a short internal debate, Sesshomaru made his decision. "Not only will your speed increase, but you will learn to control your fire and fight."

Shin immediately got on his knees and bowed. He recognized the honor being bestowed upon him by this lord of youkai. "Domo Arigato gozaimasu, Lord Sesshomaru. I will not let you down."

"Rise."

Shin hurried to his feet as his new sensei ordered. "Will we start now, master?"

To Shin's disappointment, Sesshomaru shook his head negatively. "In one weeks time we will begin. You will meet me at dawn near the Citadel's dojo."

Shin put his hands together and bowed once more. "I will be there."

As he watched Lord Sesshomaru walk away, Shin hoped that he made the right decision. Would he one day come to regret pledging his allegiance to Lord Sesshomaru? No—a gut instinct told him that he had chosen well. No matter what he had been brought up to believe, some youkai—though rare that may be—had honor. Shin was sure that Lord Sesshomaru was one of them.