InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walking Among the Living ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Me again! Chapter one is up with the prologue, than I’m going to update periodically. Enjoy!!!






Chapter One







- - - - 30 years earlier - - - -



“Miss! Miss! Come quick! Miss!” A young boy came up to a young girl who was helping someone with a sprained ankle. She was a healer. A savior. A goddess, to the people she met. A person so kind-hearted and compassionate that she cared for others before herself. They loved her. They adored her. They worshiped her.


“Coming Kiro (key-ro).” She replied in a soft, gentle voice that portrayed no emotion other than kindness. Such was her way; helping those that were in need whether they were dead or alive.


She walked, or slowly ran with the boy that had so hurriedly called for her. With every step he kept pressuring her to go faster, as if something were chasing them. They came to a fallen tree. It looked as if it had been struck by lightning, yet there had not been any rain for weeks, let alone a thunderstorm. It perplexed her greatly but she let it go. For who was she to question the ways of life, she certainly wasn’t living, so why should she wonder the mystery of it? She was dead. No longer living. A spirit. A ghost. A soul. Never would she breath among the living. Never would she sleep with the living. Never would she eat with the living. She was incapable of such things, for she was dead. Under the tree that had fallen it seemed, without much grace, was a middle-aged man. He had red hair, the hair though held more of an orangey color than a reddish color. This was quite peculiar to this part of the region, but she was not one to ask. He had gorgeous emerald eyes that sparkled mischievously even though you could tell he was in a great amount of pain. His long red hair was waving in the wind, despite that fact that it was in a high ponytail and caught on some of the branches of the tree.


“Please miss. Please help my father.” The little boy pleaded, he couldn’t have been less than ten. She finally looked over the boy. He also had the reddish-orangey hair of his father, though his was quite short, just reaching his ears. He looked tearfully at her, the brown pupils reflecting the light of the sun. She then looked at the man that was the father of the little boy. They had similar clothes, though the father’s were slightly torn. Brown pants with a tan, baggy shirt. The boy’s shirt was baggy, yes, clearly making it known that it was too big for such a small boy. On the other hand the father’s shirt fit perfectly, showing his well built muscles. She assumed that he was a house builder or a woodcutter, for he was strongly built and was collecting wood from the trees.


“I will do all that I can.” She said while looking at the man under the tree. “May I ask your name, sir?”


“Kaze (kaz – eh).” He replied in a smooth voice with playfulness underneath it.



- - - Kaze’s Point of View - - -



‘This young woman… She could be no more than 15 years of age. Why would she be helping this village? It’s strange, she seems so distant and cold, yet at the same time it’s like she’s loving and warm.’


He saw the young woman looking at him; it was like she was looking through him and into his soul. Searching the depths of his inner most being, deciding whether he was worthy of something that he didn’t know. The more he looked at her, the more time began to slow. Though with this thought he thought it was absolutely ridiculous to think such a thing, for who could stop time, let alone slow it. But the eyes of the beauty before him let him feel as if he could get lost in them. With a sudden sense of drowsiness, he felt as if he was surrounded in a warm blanket. With this last thought, that was that the she had found what she was looking for, he drifted to sleep.


“Daddy! Daddy! You need to wake up!”


‘Someone’s calling me … a boy … a child … my son?’


“Daddy! Come on!”


‘Yes my son. My Kiro.’ With this last thought he forced himself into the land of the conscious. Opening his eyes he came to look straight into a mass of brown. The brown of his son’s eyes. The eyes, the innocent eyes he loved so much.


“My Kiro, it is a pleasure to see you my son. Where am I and how long have I been sleeping?”


“Daddy, we’re home, you’ve been sleeping for a day now. The nice lady that helped you said you would wake up and you did!”


“How did I get home, the last thing I remember was falling asleep with a tree on top of me.”


“Don’t know Daddy. Came home and found you asleep in your bed, after I was told to leave, with a note saying when you would wake up. She even signed it. See!” He handed a delicately written note to his father, with utmost care, like he would break it if he didn’t.


“Kagome.” He said, though more to himself then to his son. The note was in fact a short description on what time he would wake up and how much in good health he was. Yet that was all, nothing else. No insight on her or her whereabouts, as his son had told him she had left a short time ago. She was simply gone.



It seemed as though it was hours before he moved. Though it could have been just in his mind or in reality, he didn’t know. What he did know was his son had left to go shopping with his mother. Yet he was still there. Still tying to figure out the mystery of the young girl. Tying to figure out ‘Kagome’.



- - - - Present - - - -



She was alone. All alone. Alone in the silence of the forest. She knew all too well. The same forest that she always took time to walk through. It was not as if she had no time, on the contrary she ad all the time in the world. This was her life. A life of a wandering soul. A life as a ghost.



She was thinking. Thinking of her past. Of the time in which she was still alive. Thinking of her friends. Thinking of how she was ripped from her warm home to a life that held practically no meaning to her. A cold life. No one to love. No one to be comforted by. No one. For she was alone. A ghost in a world of wars and disease. A world that was utterly known for its death and destruction.



Yet she continued, always untouched by the world and time. Always doing her duty. Helping the lost souls get to the afterlife. Allowing those who had no hope, gain some. Searching for Him.



‘Why must I continue this journey? Why can’t I just be free from my duty? Why must I continue?’ The young dead maiden questioned. She questioned the greater power. She questioned Fate. She questioned if it was all worth it.



Born in Japan. Died in Japan. Living as much as a ghost could live in Japan. Experiencing the Warning States Era of Japan. All the fighting. All the blood. All the death. So many died. So many lost. So many to guide. Such was her quest. The quest, which was both a burden and a blessing. For she was forever bound to this Earth, to watch those she cared for slip away. To guard the descendents of her family. To watch them be born. To watch them grow. To watch them die. She envied them, for their ability for a family. She hated them, for the ability of life. She loved them, for they were her dependents. Not directly, but by her family. She watched them, and protected them. Yet she could only do such a thing when she wasn’t doing her job. Her quest.



Her family, her descendents. They lived. They lived alive. They lived in a village just outside the forest. The forest. The forest she knew all to well. The forest that she would forever protect. The forest that was her grave.



‘My life, this is where it ended. This forest. It’s always been so quiet when I’m here. Is the forest mourning for me? Were the creatures of the forest mourning for me?’ She thought curiously, she had never really taken the time to think about this forest. It had always been too hurtful. Brought on harmful and grieving memories.



“Forest. Do you mourn for me? If you do, do not. I need no pity from you. It was my choice… My choice…” Her voice drifted into the wind. She looked down, down at her feet. Her memory. Drifted. Drifted to a time where she was known. Known by a name. Known by her real name, her family name.


Please Review!!!