InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Happened to Us? ❯ What Happened to Us? ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"What Happened to Us?"

August 15 2004

Anubis_Himura

'thoughts'

(*(*(*(* Flashback *)*)*)*)*)

~* Song Lyrics ~*

*

*

*



~* I thought it was too good to be true
I found somebody who understands me
Someone who would help me to get through
and fill an emptiness I had inside me ~*

Kagome glanced across the room . . . that boy had been staring at her most of the morning. It was now play time, so the children were free to talk. Kagome mustered up all her courage and walked over to the boy. He had bright silvery-white hair, the tiniest of dog ears, and even little miniature fangs. "Why are you staring at me?" the first grader asked defiently.

"Umm . . . " the boy replied hesitantly. "Well, it's my first day and I wanted to play with you."

"Oh." Kagome sat down next to the boy. "Why didn't you say so? My name is Kagome Higarashi. What is yours?"

"Inuyasha." he replied, quite proud of himself.

"I like your ears. Can I play with them?" the boy nodded and Kagome reached over to scratch them.

"Kagome?"

"Hai."

"Can we be best friends forever?"

"That sounds like fun."

The two young children played carelessly outside. When the clock struck two in the afternoon it was naptime. Kagome went over to her friends, leaving Inuyasha to go nap with the other boys.

"Who were you playing with?" they asked.

"His name is Inuyasha." she replied smiling brightly. "I'm gonna marry that boy"

~* but you kept inside and I just denied something that we should have both said
I knew it was too good to be true
'cause I'm the only one who understands me . . . ~*

~*~ Twelve years later ~*~

"Good bye" he kissed her lips softly, never wanting the night to end between them.

"There are never 'good' byes Hun." she replied, her voice shaking slightly, "I'll see you in a few months."

"Of course. Then we'll get a dog, and name her Iris, with a white-picket fence, and everything will just be perfect."

'So, this is where it ends . . . twelve years of being together . . . gone in the blink of an eye.'

"I love you." she whispered, but the love of her life was long gone, down the street and around the corner. The girl turned around and walked into the house, alone.

~*§¤~*

~* What happened to us? we used to be so perfect, now we're lost and lonely
what happened to us? and deep inside I wonder, did I lose my only? ~*

"Guess who?" that voice penetrated my ears, I knew who that gruff, manly voice belonged too, I simply chose to ignore it.

"I don't know. Tai? Oan? Jai maybe?" I joke, hoping he'll take the hint that I don't feel like talking.

"Kag. Duh, its me bitch."

"Oh, Kouga." I roll my eyes before turning around to face him. "How are you? Would you like some coffee?"

"Hai. And a de-caf for the boss."
"Coming right up."

"Yvonne, I need two coffees one regular, one de-caf." I call over my shoulder.

"You got it Kagome." I hear my co-worker call back.

"Thanks Hun."

"Geez, she gets more play than I do." Kouga comments off-hand.

"Shut up."

"Well, it is true." his voice becomes a whisper. If he realizes that this is a private conversation why is he even bringing it up?

"Shut up." I repeat, my voice hushed but demanding.

"Whatever."

"Here are your coffees Kouga." Yvonne comes over, thank God, no doubt stopping a fight from breaking out.

"Thanks Yvonne. Check ya later Kag."

"Bye Kouga." I watch him walk out the door with out much of a second thought. "Konnichiwa, welcome to 'Coffee Rendezvous' how may I help you?"

~*§¤~*

"Good bye Inuyasha." the girl wiped a tear from her eye.

"Don't cry Kikyou. I am sure . . . some day . . . "

"There is no point in lying to me. I may be naive but I am not stupid. I know you don't want to be with me anymore and I accept that. I . . .just wish I knew what was so great that you have to leave me for it." Kikyou started to walk away, attempting to leave Inuyasha alone on the cold dark street, with nothing but her words to keep him company.

"Kikyou . . . " he began "There is just something I got to do before I let myself give into us. Does that make sense?"

"No." she stated flatly. "But I'll take your word for it. Good bye."

"There are never really good byes." Inuyasha attempted a half-hearted smile and turned around, leaving Kikyou alone in the park, the opposite of how she had planned the evening.

Walking along the city streets, Inuyasha began thinking of what he was doing back in this town, with the same boring people, doing the same boring things they had always done. He knew that the only reason he came back to this one-horse town, was to see 'the one' who made him incapable of making decisions. 'The one' who fueled his every late night fantasy. 'The one' whose smile could light the night sky. 'The one' who was simply . . . the one. He hadn't spoken to her in four years. 'Will she even talk to me? I just need to know . . . does she love me too?' He wondered, looking at the ground beneath his feet as he followed the road to her house. He had the road memorized, long before this night, long before any night he could remember, it seemed (to him) as though he were born with it memorized. Born with everything about her memorized.

~*§¤~*

"Fuck! Where the fuck are my keys? FUCK!" Kagome stomped her feet angrily on the gravel. She once again returned to searching blindly into her overstuffed back pack. "Where are you? Keys . . . hello . . . here pretty keys . . . fuck!" Kagome sighed and leaned against the drivers side door of her car. "And no fucking spare. This night just fucking rocks. I'll just have to call Kouga and get triple A to fix it in the morning." Kagome hated asking people for help . . . especially obsessive roommates/boyfriends.

"Well lookey here." a sultry voice cooed from the shadows.

"Oh yes, a nice piece of meat we have. I think I want a taste of it." another voice joined.

Kagome decided not to panic. She was used to getting rude comments from men. Things like that just happened when you lived in her neighborhood. She did, however, speed up the process of finding her cell phone and dialing Kouga.

"Ooh, little whore calling for help."

"That is a 'no-no'."

"What do you want from me?" Kagome asked, trying to remain civil.

"I want all of you." the man stepped out of the shadows, followed by a second and a third man. The third had remained quiet until now. All three men were fairly tall. The first man had a goatee and a shaved head, he was wearing a wife-beater, black hole-filled jeans and a crimson baseball cap displaying his love for the Red Sox. The second man was slightly grungy. He was wearing a blue shirt with blue jeans, both with many stains on them and wreaked horribly as though the man hadn't washed them (or himself) in many months. He had thinning hair and a bald spot in the center. The third man was actually rather mysterious, he had dark eyes, dark hair, he was dressed in all black and was extremely fascinated with something on the ground.

"Look, you want my fucking wallet, fine, take it. I don't have any money anyway. You want the cell? It's all yours, I get lousy reception in the tunnel just to warn you." Kagome stated, throwing her wallet and cell phone (which had called Kougas cell but received only his voice mail) on to the ground.

"I don't want your possessions kitten. I want your body."

"Well too fucking bad, cause that I ain't givin’ ya."

"Ooh, naughty language. I'll have to spank you." the first man, grabbed Kagome by her wrists and licked up the side of her neck, leaving a wet trail of saliva along her flesh.

"What the fuck are you doing? Let me go!" Kagome tried to wiggle free of his clutches, but he was much stronger than she was. She tried to kick the man holding her but when she did the grungy man grabbed her legs and suspended her in the air. She was trapped.

"Oh, you want it rough?"

"We'll show ya rough."

"HELP! SOMEONE! HELP! CALL NINE ONE ONE! PARKING GARA-" Kagome was effectively silence when a hand was clasped over her mouth.

"Thanks Naraku. Her voice was driving me crazy."

"Your welcome." Kagome noticed it was the third man who had her mouth covered, the one they referred to as Naraku. When he opened his mouth to speak, Kagome noticed his teeth were fairly yellow, and many were missing.

Kagomes screams for help, now silenced, turned into silent sobs, giving up the fight she surrendered to her assailants. It wouldn't be the first time.

*(*(*(*(*(*(*( Flash Back *(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*(*

"Now be a good little girl."

"But I don't know how to play."

"Don't worry Kagome. It is very simple. You just take off your clothes, like bath time, and then I'll check you for bruises. Of course, then you get to be the doctor and check me."

"Okay Daddy."

*~

"Daddy no. That hurts. Daddy!!! Let me go!" the little girl, of only eight years old, lay on the floor of her room, crying to herself. "I don't want to play anymore. I don't want to play."

*)*)*)*)*)*)*)*)*) End Flash Back *)*)*)*)*)*)*)*)


~* Remember they thought we were too young
to really know what it takes to make it
but we had survived off what we had done
and we could show them all that they're mistaken ~*

"NO!" Kagome woke up. Somehow she had missed what was happening to her. She woke up in the same parking lot, her hands badly bruised from the force the man was using on her. Her clothes were torn to shreds, scattered randomly around her black dodge neon. There was blood seeping slowly around her, she wasn't sure if it was from the pain she felt in her head, or in her lower region, whichever wasn't good.

A loud scream from a familiar voice turned his head from the ground up to the parking garage. 'That sounded just like . . . ' Inuyasha used all of his strength to run up the many flights of the parking garage, toward the sound of Kagome's voice.

His senses seemed to heighten when he sensed her distress. In no time he found himself face to face with her. All alone, laying on the ground, crying. He had seen this picture before, he wasn't in a hurry to relive the memories they shared. Putting all thoughts of their past aside he ran to the girl, shredding his coat to put around her.

Kagome continued to stare at the ground, silently sobbing to herself. Her vision was cloudy as she saw someone running towards her. She tried to back away from him, but he was already next to her by the time her body responded to the stranger. "Just leave me alone." she choked out, trying to sound strong and determined. Six years of Tae Bo and three years of Karate did nothing for her as she returned to the state of the frightened eight year old girl she had always been.

Inuyasha noticed this about her, that she would never fully be her own person because of what had happened to her all those years ago. He gently placed his coat around her, buttoning the top button. Kagome vaguely realized she now had some clothing on, and as her brain caught up to the events around her she looked to her left to see Inuyasha kneeling beside her. He gently moved a piece of hair out of her eyes, and wiped away a few stray tears; concern and guilt evident in his honey eyes.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome questioned, not believing her own eyes to see the truth.

~*but who could have known, the lies that would grow, until we could see right through them
remember they knew we were too young
we still don't know what it takes to make it . . . ~*

"I am sorry Kagome. I am sorry I wasn't here sooner." he felt himself tearing up. Inuyasha hugged Kagome to him, cradling her in his strong, protective arms. Kagome didn't move, she allowed herself to be cradled, making no effort to stop it or accept it. "Come on, lets get you to the hospital." Inuyasha tried to help her up.

"NO!" Kagome seemed to regain all thought and function as she backed away and scrambled to get away from him; quickly being stopped by the garage wall.

"Yes. You could be hurt worse than you know."

"No." she repeated, closing her eyes as more tears fell from them.

"Okay. Okay no. Shhh." he took four long strides to her and hugged her again. This time she responded, she wrapped her arms around his waist, sobbing into his chest. "It's all right Kagome. I am not leaving you. I am here."

"When does it ever get better? Tell me. Tell me someday everything will be all right, and that everything will be better. Tell me my life will be perfect and none of this will matter."

"Things can't always be perfect. We can't always have a white picket fence, two kids and a dog Kagome. But things can get better, and things can turn around."

"That isn't good enough Inuyasha!" she angrily shoved him away. Suddenly, all their time together as kids seemed irrelevant. Suddenly, she hated the man in front of her, she didn't want to be his girlfriend, or even his friend. She despised him. "You have a white picket fence! You have a dog! You have a trophy wife! What do I have Inuyasha? I have an abusive, pedophile Father, a drug-addict prostitute Mother, a brother who thinks I am going to hell because I don't believe in God. And the only guy I -" Kagome felt herself break down and she slid down against the wall, crying into her hands. "Just leave me alone. Go back to Kikyou, go back to your perfect life, and leave me and my pitiful existence alone."

"Kagome. I came back to . . . I came back to be with you."

"I don't want to be your fucking charity case." her brief sadness dramatically changed back into anger. "Leave me the fuck alone!" she ran to her bag, praying her cell phone was still in it. She quickly dialed Kouga and waited for a response. "Kouga, I locked myself out of my car. Can you come pick me up? Thanks Hun."

"Boyfriend?" Inuyasha asked, attempting to match her anger.

"As a matter of fact, yes." Kagome began looking through her clothes, trying to find something she could put on so she could throw his jacket back to him. Finding that her skirt only had a small tear she pulled it on, her bra was missing and her shirt was beyond repair.

"Kagome." Inuyasha began, "I don't want you to be mad at me when you leave here tonight."

"Why did you come back? After all these years, you just decide 'hey I guess I kind of like Kagome, think I'll pay her a visit.'? Why couldn't you just stay gone?"

"Kagome, there are so many things you don't know about me 'perfect' life. The TV only tells you so much. My 'trophy wife' is a complete bitch. She controls me using guilt and dominance. She is a neat freak who treats me like I am five, and she never smiles. I missed your smile, more than I could ever miss anything. The way your lips curve up slowly, and your eyes dazzle, slowly getting brighter and rounder. I missed you."

"Well . . . after six years . . . you think you would have called. I haven't moved Inuyasha. I have been here, all along. You just didn't seem to care."

"I asked you -" the sound of a very loud, 'pimped out', viper broke through Inuyasha's voice, almost deliberately.

"Hey baby. Holy shit." Kouga jumped out of the car, after parking it, and ran to Kagome putting an arm around her. "What happened baby? What the fuck did you do to her?" Kouga turned angry eyes on Inuyasha.

"Hey I di-"

"He didn't do anything Kouga." Kagome defended. "Three guys. One named Naraku I know. The others never gave their name away. Can we just go home?"

"Hai sure baby. Who is this clown though?"

"I'm Inuyasha."

"We were friends. When we were little. A long time ago." Kagome shot an unreadable glance at Inuyasha.

"Hai. Ancient history. Not to mention the fact that we dated for six years, and were very much in lov-"

"Shut up Inuyasha. Go home. I don't need you." Kagome was gently helped into the car by Kouga and he closed the door getting into his own side and driving away.

Kagome's words cut through Inuyasha, worse than any knife could. He stood, for a long time, staring at the path the viper left, praying she would magically come back. 'You can't really think that she would have waited for you to figure your life out. You should have called . . . or written . . . visited. You are a fool.'

~*§¤*~

"Thank you Kouga."

"What were you doing with him?" Kouga replied, ignoring her appreciation.

"After the three guys left." she began, "He heard me and came to see what was wrong. I don't even know why he is back in town. He is suppose to be in Fiji on his second honey moon or something."

"Inuyasha . . . Inuyasha . . . OH! I know where I've seen him. He was the guy that played on that movie with the chick."

Kagome shook her head, rolling her eyes, "Hai Kouga, that's it."

"No, uhh, Firefly Field" he hit his hand on the steering wheel, proclaiming his victory, "that was it."

"Sure. I wouldn't know." Kagome turned her head out the window, watching the trees flash by on the highway.

"He is married to that cute chick, Kikyou, right? She is some famous singer?" Kouga asked, looking over to Kagome.

"I already said, I wouldn't know."

"But you two are friends. Could you introduce me to the cute chick?"

"I don't know her! We are not friends!"

"Whatever." the two were silent for a moment. "So you two dated? Did you sleep together?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"So you did?"

"I don't want to talk about it." she spoke again.

"Why can't you just talk to me? Your famous boyfriend from, what seems to be another life, comes back to reclaim you . . . and you 'don't want to talk about it'?"

"That is right. I don't. So shut up."

"I can't shut up about this. So are you just going to leave me, because he has more money? Well, he has a wife. And a like thirty million dollar mansion. What would he want with a whore like you?" Kagome turned her head to face Kouga, as his expression turned pale. "Baby, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant, Kikyou is clean and probably was untouched before him."

"Ooh good. Cause I thought you were implying something really mean! Let me out!"

"What? We're in the middle of the highway."

"LET ME OUT!"

~*§¤*~

Inuyasha ran wildly to her house. He knew now that she no longer lived there, but he had to start somewhere. He couldn't allow this to be the end. It just wasn't right. Finding that the lights were on he ran to the front door, knocking loudly and shouting for someone to answer.

"Greetings friend. What can I do for you?" a teenage boy smiled brilliantly at Inuyasha.

"Souta?" he asked, taking in the boys appearance. Last time he had seen Souta, he had spiked hair, chains with spikes, more piercing than one could count and an even more foul mouth than Inuyasha had.

"Yes Sir." he observed for a moment before realizing who it was. "Oh, Inuyasha. My good man, won't you please enter?" he stepped aside to allow Inuyasha to enter. Inuyasha bowed and walked in, standing in the hallway.

The house was amazing. It had been remodeled since he last saw it, there was a lovely mahogany theme, everything was its natural wood, all the paint and wallpaper removed. It smelled wonderfully of lemon pledge, and had a 'lived-in' feel.

"I find that the natural wood is so much easier to care for. It also provides a nice rustic feeling. Don't you agree?"

"Mmm hmm." Inuyasha agreed.

"Come, won't you have a spot of tea?"

"Thanks."

As Inuyasha sat, sipping his tea, he couldn't for the life of him understand why Kagome would leave this place. It was so . . . perfect. It was the life she had wanted. Minus the picket fence. It was homey, friendly, and the tea was amazing. Where was the flaw?

"Well Inuyasha. It has been lovely catching up with you. I fear you must leave now, I hate to be rude, but Father will be home soon."

'Father'.

"Is your Father still -"

"He isn't as bad as he seems. He just hasn't found the light. I've been trying to introduce him to Jesus, but he won't listen." Souta chuckled slightly. "Parents."

"What about your mother?" Inuyasha asked, becoming slightly more brave.

"She had to feed her addiction. She couldn't do that in this house, so she left. It is okay though, I understand, and I pray for her every night. I believe that is where Kagome gets her . . . problems from. Forgive me, I don't mean to speak ill of my sister. I do love her, and pray for her safety and well being." the sound of a car door slamming brought them back from their conversation. "Father. You must leave Inuyasha." he stood up and helped Inuyasha stand as well. "I apologize. Please come back some time, I'll whip up some cookies." he stated as he began to guide Inuyasha (with some force) toward the door. "But you must leave now. Through the back door, I am sorry."

"No. I am not leaving. You and I used to be friends, and I know I have been a lousy friend of late. Now that I am back, I am not leaving because of your psychotic Father. I am not eight anymore. I am not afraid of him anymore."

"Fine. But neither was Kagome; and look at her now." Souta brushed passed Inuyasha and started up the stair case "I am going to bed."

"Souta! You little BRAT! Get your ass down here! I see the lights on you little fucker! If you've got a sleazy girl in here I'll knock you out three ways from Sunday!"

"So, still beating your children Kyan?"

"Inuyasha . . . you little punk. When did you get back?"

"This afternoon. I came back for Kagome."

"Well the whore don't live here. She moved out some three years ago. So go find the fucking slut and get out of my house."

"You better not speak ill of her again. I need to know where she lives you moron."

"How the fuck should I know? I don't give a shit. Unless she wants to give me a piece of that ass." his merciless laugh echoed through the hallway, and Inuyasha could not control his anger.

With one swift movement Inuyasha had knocked Kyan to the ground. Kyan was putting up a good fight, but Inuyasha was slightly quicker, and far more intelligent, and managed only a few bruises. Inuyasha finally delivered a final blow to Kyan and he lay unconscious, sprawled out, in the middle of the entrance hall.

"I will pray for you." Souta said from the center of the stairs.

"Hai thanks." Inuyasha replied, "Now, please tell me where Kagome lives."

"With her boyfriend. Kouga. Some place downtown, I am not sure really where."

"Good enough. Thanks Souta. Sorry about your house."

"That is okay. Good bye Inuyasha."

"Later."

~*~*~*~*~

'Somewhere downtown . . . somewhere downtown . . . somewhere grrr this isn't helping me.' Inuyasha traveled all around the city streets, but he could not find Kouga's car. (Which was his only lead). Sighing he sat down on the side walk. Waiting for a sign, any thing that could help him in his quest to find Kagome. 'I was so close. God, but she won't even look at me. She hates me. I don't blame her. I left her, all alone, with her Father in this crappy town. How could I have left her? Why didn't I take her with me?'

Inuyasha heard a strange sound, like a bottle breaking, on the side walk. He lifted his head from his hands and looked down the street. What he saw was something he didn't expect. He saw Kagome's Father, apparently on a mission.

"Inuyasha." he growled, seeing Inuyasha sitting in the street light.

"I thought I was finished with you." he hollered back.

"I came to apologize." Inuyasha's face paled. "I was a horrible Father. I am a horrible Father. I also came to see Kagome, I have to set things right. It may be too late to fix what I've done to her, but I can trying and set it right. I guess Souta's teachings are paying off eh?"

"Kyan? Are - What -" Inuyasha was at a loss for words. This man was not normal. Something was very amiss here.

"I know. Seems odd that I am saying this. Seems odd coming from my mouth too." he chuckled slightly. "Maybe because . . . . It's a load of HORSE SHIT!" he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a relatively cheap handgun. Inuyasha wasn't in the mood to deal with firearms so he tried to cooperate.

"Ugh, why do people have to make so much noise in the middle of the night." Kagome rolled over and opened her eyes, staring at the red numbers on her digital clock. "One thirty. Lovely." she stated sarcastically as she got out of bed and walked to the window; with the intention of telling her neighbors to shut up till morning. She opened the window and looked down to see Inuyasha and . . . 'my Father'?

"Okay, hey Kyan. I don't want any trouble. I am sorry I beat you up. I just want to find Kagome and take her away from here okay?"

"NO! HA! I am not letting you take my only daughter away from me!"

"You don't even like her!"

"I love my daughter! You . . . you don't understand. The minute I saw her in the delivery room, the day she was born, I felt complete. I felt like nothing in this world could go wrong, and that everything was going to be perfect forever."

"Then why did you rape her, when she was eight years old?"

"I didn't want anyone to take her away from me."

"That makes no sense."

"I knew. I knew that even at eight years old, you two were in love. I could see it, that you two were meant to be together. And I freaked out, I didn't want some mangy boy stealing my only daughter from me. I had to stop her from liking men, I had to do something to keep her only mine."

"You're sick."

"It didn't work. She liked you anyway. And then, when you went and became the asshole I knew you would be, by leaving her, she became a slut. She hated me, my only little girl and SHE . . . HATED . . . ME! You ruined our lives."

"I didn't do anything. The only thing I have ever done is left Kagome here with a whack job like you. And I'll kick myself in the ass, till the day I die for that mistake. Because I love your daughter, with all my heart, and I will stop at nothing to see her happy. She was happy once, and it is now my mission to see that she is happy again."

"You stay away from her!"

"NEVER!"

Kyan cocked his gun and pointed it straight at Inuyasha's head. "I'll kill you, you bastard."

"Fine."

"NOO!" Kagome ran outside and stood in front of Inuyasha.

"Kagome, get out of the way."

"No. I never knew you actually cared. You could have showed it just as well by acting more like a Father than a crazed horny old man. Then maybe . . . maybe Inuyasha would have been in love with me, maybe we would be together and I wouldn't be a 'slut', though I am not a slut and I don't know why you people keep saying I am." Kagome moved away from Inuyasha, pacing slightly as she spoke. "After hearing that you actually wanted me, and I didn't ruin your life like I've always thought I had, its hard for me to say this; but, I am the way I am because of you. It's your fault Dad."

"Dad? You haven't called me that in fifteen years." Kyan dropped his arm, pointing the gun toward the ground, "I am sorry Kagome." he raised his hand again and shot Inuyasha.

"NOO!" Kagome tried to catch him, but he had already collapsed on the hard pavement.

~* we could have made it work, we could have found a way
we should have done our best to see another day
but we kept it all inside until was too late
and now we're both alone, the consequence we pay
for throwing it all away, for throwing it all away~*

"No, Dad why?"

"He stole you from me. He took you away from me."

"No . . . he didn't. I loved him Dad."

"He would hurt you, just like the rest of them."

"No, he wouldn't." tears fell freely from her chocolate eyes as she stared into the face of a man she never knew, nor cared to know at all.

"He did. He left you to go be some big-shot movie actor. He didn't care what happened to you."

"He had to go Dad. Besides, he came back for me. He loved me. But he never knew I loved him." she looked back to the lifeless body, laying in her arms, "Now, he'll never know."

"It's better this way."

"How so?"

"Now, you can move home, and we can be a real family. Souta misses you. He promises not to force religion upon you. Come on, we'll even see if your Mother will move back in." he held his hand out for his daughter.

"No." Kagome gently placed Inuyasha on the ground and stood up. "I don't want to know you. I want you to leave my sight, and I never want to see you again. I don't have a Father. I don't have a Brother, or a Mother. You people don't exist to me. Now go away."

"Kagome . . . I love you." Kagome turned around in time to see her Father place the gun to his head and pull the trigger.

Kagome didn't make a sound as she became covered in her Father's blood. She looked down at her pajamas, a mixture of her Fathers blood and Inuyashas. Collapsing on the ground she began rocking back and forth. The love of her life, lay dead next to her, the man that was her Father, lay dead in front of her. So much destruction and it was all her fault. Leaning over Inuyasha she placed a kiss on his forehead. "I love you." she whispered. She crawled on the ground to her Father and kissed him on the forehead, "I love you too." Standing up she walked slowly down the street, taking in shallow breaths, and trying not to cry. She arrived at her Fathers, now Soutas, home and knocked lightly. Souta answered the door, apparently he wasn't asleep.

"Kagome?" he asked, looking her over. "What happened?"

"Souta . . . Inuyasha . . . Dad . . . they're dead. Dad killed them. Inuyasha, then himself. It's all my fault Souta. All of it." Souta raised a hand to his mouth, trying to stop a gasp from appearing on his face.

He quickly recovered and began comforting his sister. "Shh, it'll be okay. Come on in won't you?" Kagome entered the house, half dazed, "Tea?"

~* what happened to us? we used to be so perfect
what happened to us? and deep inside I wonder, did I lose my only one?

~*§¤*~ Six Years Later

"So what don't we do?"
"We never talk to strangers!" the first graders replied in a slightly off-set unison.

"Right. Okay the bell is about to ring, go gather your stuff." the kids screamed happily as they ran to get there items.

"Hey Sis." a head popped into the doorway of the schoolroom.

"Hello Souta."

"Want to go to dinner with me and Michelle tonight?" he asked, stepping fully into the room.

"No, I am okay thanks. I think I'll go home, watch a little Jeopardy and go to bed early."

"Hojo will be there." he added, hoping to spike his sisters interest.

Kagome laughed slightly, "No thank you."

"Sis, I know this seems mean but, he isn't coming back."

"I know Souta. I am just not ready to deal."

"But it has been six years. A lot has happened. I mean, you are a teacher now, you kind of believe in our God. I am even loosening up a little bit, I don't mind the occasional partying or swearing." he laughed at his own remark, "Come on. It's just dinner. You are going to eat when you go home anyway. Might as well let me pay for you to eat something fancy."

Kagome smiled brightly at her baby brother, "You don't give up do you?"

"Never." he returned the smile.

"Fine. I'll go. Come by the house around six thirty."

"Great. See ya Sis."

"Bye."

~*~

Kagome closed her book as she heard a car approaching. Her dog began to bark wildly at the intruder. "Shh, hush. Come on Iris. Come on baby girl. Shh." the golden lab instantly calmed and sat silently by the door.

Kagome grabbed her purse off the dinning room table and walked out the door, making sure it was locked behind her. "Hey guys." she stated, walking down the front steps.

"Hey Kagome." Hojo ran up to greet her first, before the others.

"Hey Hojo. How are you?"

"Wonderful. How are you?"

"Great."

"How are you guys?" she asked Michelle and Souta.

"Doing very well thank you." they replied in unison, causing a slight laugh from everyone else.

"They really are meant for each other." Hojo commented to Kagome. She nodded back to Hojo.

"The Meyers kid did a good job of painting that fence." Souta stated.

"Hai he did. I hated the green that was there before. White is much better." Kagome noted, smiling to herself.

"Well, lets go, I am starving." Souta declared.

"Baby, you are always starving." Michelle playfully hit him on the shoulder.

"You look great tonight Kagome."

"Thanks Hojo. I love that new hair cut."

"Thanks."

"Come on love birds. Before the good stuff is gone."

"Souta, it isn't going to just disappear because you want it."

"You never know. . . one time I was reading this magazine that said -" Kagome shook her head, as her brothers voice faded into the background. She thought of all the times she had the opportunity to go to Inuyasha, yet she never did. She was always afraid he wouldn't want her. Now she knew the truth, and it was too late. Hojo's voice interrupted her thoughts and she turned to him with a smile.

"If things go well tonight, maybe you would like to see a movie with me tomorrow?"

"Sure." Kagome nodded. He really was a sweet guy. Maybe life could be perfect after all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Crappy I know . . . Urg. . . I really wanted to write a decent one-shot I know I know its ANOTHER song fic by me. Blah! Deal with it. haha . .. Is it okay? I hope so. I tried.

Hoobastank 's Lovely song 'What Happened to Us?' is responsible for the title and the lyrics you see before you. So thank you Hoobastank! I love those guys ^_^

Two - other - things were actually responsible for this idea. A) The Butterfly Effect I know its not really like that but it was SO thank you to those guys. B) The song We Are by Ana on the Spiderman 2 Soundtrack. That song had more to do with it than butterfly . . . SO thank you Ana.
Converting /tmp/phpkh4SCB to /dev/stdout