InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ What Hurts The Most ❯ Explanations ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagome was awakened by the cheerful chirping of birds and the warm, bright morning sunlight that poured into Kaede's crowded hut through the entranceway. She picked her way over the sleeping bodies carefully, making sure not to wake anyone. Outside, sitting against the tree that Inuyasha had always slept in, was Ian. Kagome made her way to him.
"Couldn't sleep?" she asked softly.
"Did you expect me to be able to? This all seems like so much. Well, it is so much. Why me? And wont my parents be missing me?? Or does time stop when we visit here?"
A sudden realization dawned upon Kagome. Ian's parents were going to be just as worried about him as hers were about her the first time she had gone missing. A second dawned upon her when she heard a voice from the skies. An icy cold and unfriendly one.
"So, it is true?" the demoness Kagura implored from her feather, floating in the sky.
"What is it that you want Kagura?" Kagome demanded, truly scared for the first time after Inuyasha's departure. Ian sat there, stock still, wondering who this flying lady was and why her voice sent shivers up his spine.
"Naraku wanted to know if it was true. I was a little curious myself I must admit. How disappointed my master is going to be. No Inuyasha for him to play with anymore. At least he's still got the rest of you fools," she cackled. Koga burst from the hut.
"Kagura," he growled. "Get away from them."
"Aww.. Poor Koga.. Are you afraid you're going to lose more friends at my hands?" she taunted. Koga was seething. "Unfortunately, I have more important matters to attend to so, I must be off."
They watched the wind sorceress disappear from sight as quickly as she had appeared. Koga sat himself outside of the hut, keeping watch. He wanted to let Kagome have a chance to sort things out with this, reincarnation, if that was what he was. He could tell she was not herself, and he figureded that claiming her as his mate at this point in time would only make matters worse for her. He'd give her some time.
"I forgot about Naraku, and the Jewel shards," she said quietly.
"What was that all about?" Ian asked.
"Oh, wow.. Kagura is an incarnation of Naraku, her master. Naraku, who has many incarnations, is our nemesis. Because of him, Sango's village has been burned to the ground, Miroku's right hand is cursed with the Kazanna, a void that threatens to swallow him whole after enough uses, and, he was the cause of Kikyo's betrayal to Inuyasha," Kagome explained. She told him the story of the half demon and the priestess, she explained Miroku's curse, she explained Sango's profession, her brother's posession, and she told him about her freeing of Inuyasha and her breaking of the Shikon Jewel. She told him of their adventures to make the jewel whole again, and about Kikyo's resurrection. As she was telling her tale, images of these battles and adventures played in Ian's mind, like he had actually been there. It all seemed so familiar to him.
"So, this Inuyasha guy... What happened to him? Sounds like you really cared for him," Ian remarked.
"He left to Hell with Kikyo just recently," she said quietly, trying to fight off the tears that welled in her eyes.
"He left you? For a reanimated clay replica of his dead love? And left you, the only one who had really accepted him for being himself? What was he thinking?"
Kagome was taken aback. She looked at him questioningly.
"Well, let's see. You're smart, you seem more than capable of handling yourself if you've been traveling with this crowd and fighting demons, you put up with a lot from Inuyasha, so you've said, yet you never left his side... What's not for him to want?"
Kagome blushed, the tears in her eyes gone. "I.. I..," she stuttered, "I was hoping, you might know why he left. He didn't tell me, or anyone that I'm aware of. You are his reincarnation. Although, I guess I'm Kikyo's and I don't remember anything about being her. In fact, I'm completely different from her."
She sighed, as he shook his head sadly. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "But, if it makes you feel any better, as you tell me about your time spent with Inuyasha, it all seems so familiar, like a fairytale that I was read as a kid or something. It's kinda weird, slightly confusing, but I'm sure we can figure it out. Or its just some crazy dream I'm having and I'll wake up any minute."
She laughed at him. "I felt the same way when I first ended up here. My family freaked out when I finally found my way back to our time. They thought I was kidnapped or something. But, I do get to spend my time here instead of at school."
"That is a plus," he agreed. "Except for your family thinking something bad happened to you. I hope mine aren't too worried."