InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There were many things InuTaisho Shimizu didn't like. He didn't like it when people smoke or drank. The smoke irritated his nose whenever someone smoked around him and, along with alcohol, left a nasty odor around someone who may have otherwise smelled pleasant. Then there were those who never took responsibility for their actions. They whined and cried because something had happened to them. Some cases it was understandable -- not everything could be controlled and he knew that -- but for those who couldn't control such things, they had a knack for getting through and even coming out ahead. The ones who annoyed him to no end were the ones who brought everything upon themselves yet had the gumption to complain about it. If they made a mistake, they had to live with it. They couldn't have their hands held all the time.
 
That lesson he had learned the day Yashira told him to leave. For good. There was something wrong and she needed her space and some time to think things over, figure them out. He had never known as to how much he had relied on her until he had moved out and into a place of his own . . . in trying to fend for himself he had learned he had become something he had despised. InuTaisho had vowed never again to allow himself to become that dependent on someone. The only thing he had truly disliked about his separation with Yashira, and eventual divorce, was that he lost time with his son, Sesshomaru. But the boy needed his mother. InuTaisho knew that and had contented himself with visiting his only child every other weekend and every other holiday.
 
Three years had passed since that painful lesson but not much else had changed in the inuyoukai's life. He was still president of his own company, still earning an excellent wage, and more than capable of providing for Yashira and Sesshomaru . . . if they needed any help, that was. The female inuyoukai had also done rather well, starting her own restaurant where Sesshomaru worked part-time washing the dishes after school. Things were, in InuTaisho's opinion, running rather smoothly and the way that they should have been.
 
“Good day today,” a fellow business associate gushed as they walked out of Taijiya Corporation's doors. “Wouldn't you agree, Shimizu?”
 
“Hai,” the inuyoukai laughed. “Very good day. Couldn't have asked for better. How's the wife doing, Shikaru?”
 
“Good,” Shikaru nodded. “Baby's keeping her up all night but then that's to be expected. He should be sleeping through the night before we know it.”
 
“That's good,” InuTaisho murmured, feeling a slight pang of jealousy. He wanted another pup of his own but also didn't want to go through the heartache of losing another mate.
 
'Maybe I can adopt,' he thought as he and Shikaru said their goodbyes and parted ways. 'I'm sure Sesshomaru would like to have another sibling. I'd have to ask him about it first, though. I don't want him to feel like I'm trying to replace him . . . he means too much to me for that.'
 
InuTaisho climbed into the back of his limo and told the driver to head for home, unaware of the life-changing message that waited for him there.