InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Over the next five years, InuTaisho watched his youngest son grow. Not nearly as fast as other children, thanks to the drugs his mother had taken during her pregnancy, but he grew. The child had even adapted a way of getting out of bed and moving around his apartment hours before InuTaisho would even consider getting up, and knowing when he was getting up himself. Inuyasha could get into the lower cupboards, knowing which ones he could get into and find the cereal boxes. InuTaisho had woken up on more than one occasion to find Inuyasha sitting quietly in the living room, quietly munching on Cocoa Puffs or Cheerios.
 
His life had changed drastically since Inuyasha had been born. What he thought was a clean apartment turned out not to be as clean as he thought. He'd had to buy an air purifier because the pup's nose was extra sensitive and had detected pollutants he didn't even know where there. Cords had to be moved off the floor, outlets had to be covered, expensive and rare items were placed in a separate room that he kept under lock and key . . . but those had been minor changes, in InuTaisho's opinion. The major changes had occurred within him, and had to do with his oldest.
 
InuTaisho had, in the first three years of divorce, felt that the visitation schedule with Sesshomaru would be just fine, that his son needed his mother more than he needed his father. He'd had no idea of how wrong he was until Inuyasha came along. Then he'd talked to Yashira, seeking more visitation rights with Sesshomaru.
 
At first, the female inuyoukai had been surprised and nearly refused him. Slowly, though, as he talked to her while holding Inuyasha, she changed her mind and agreed. When they'd told Sesshomaru what they had agreed to, he had been as equally shocked as his mother, but had regarded the whole thing with suspicion. Things were still rough between him and his oldest, but InuTaisho was determined to make sure that both of his sons knew just how much he loved them.
 
“`apa! `apa!”
 
Startled out of his reverie, InuTaisho blinked then chuckled as Inuyasha made his way towards him, the cordless phone in one hand. For being blind, the pup moved around as well as he would have if he'd been able to see, InuTaisho noted.
 
'And he hears better than most, too. Sharper nose than even mine.' A warm smile touched his lips as the child handed him the phone then proceed to climb into his lap. 'Can't talk well, though. Learning things a little slower than most pups. But he's doing all right. Thank the Kami for that.'
 
“What is it, Inuyasha?”
 
The hanyou took the phone back then thrust it towards him.
 
“Nee-cha! Nee-cha!”
 
“Is it time to call aniki?” InuTaisho inquired, his smile growing warmer as furry white ears twitched. Before he could take the phone from the pup, Inuyasha pulled it back and held it to his head, amazingly enough, the way it was supposed to be held.
 
“Nee-cha?”
 
“Silly pup,” he chuckled again. “I have to dial first before you can talk to aniki. And I need the phone so I can dial.”
 
The phone was held out once more, and InuTaisho took it . . . just as it started to ring. Inuyasha sat straight, his ears at attention, unseeing eyes somehow focused on receiver. He even gasped, as if surprised, then whispered, “Nee-cha.”
 
“Silly pup,” he murmured again as he answered. “Moshi moshi.”
 
“Father?”
 
“Sesshomaru? What perfect timing,” he glanced at the delighted face of the pup in his lap. “I was just about to call you.”
 
“I figured as much,” came the wry chuckle. “That's why I called you first . . . let me guess, though. The pup said it was time to call.”
 
“Oh, you could say that. He misses you, as do I . . . when do you think you'll be able to come over again?”
 
“I was hoping tonight, actually,” Sesshomaru replied. “Mother is having the house fumigated and we need to be out tonight . . .”
 
“And you need a place to stay in the meantime?”
 
“Hai . . .”
 
“Come on over. You're always welcome here.”
 
“Arigato, Father. You won't mind if I hold study group tonight, either would you?”
 
“Nee-cha!” Inuyasha reached for the phone at that moment. “Nee-cha!”
 
“Sure,” InuTaisho replied. “Your brother wishes to say hello.”
 
“Put him on then.”
 
He handed the phone over to Inuyasha then watched as the child “talked” to his brother for the next five minutes. When the “conversation” was over, InuTaisho took the phone back.
 
“So when can I expect you?”
 
“In the next hour, Father. My study group will be with me.”
 
“Then I'll have some snacks and drinks ready. See you in an hour . . . I love you, Sesshomaru.”
 
“I love you, too, Father. I'll see you in an hour.”
 
As he hung up the phone, he looked at his youngest. The pup had a big grin on his face.
 
“You,” he told his son, tickling Inuyasha's sides and making him squeal, “are something else. You know that?”
 
Giggles were his only reply.
 
* * *
 
“Man, this is going to be soo boring!” came the complaint. “We're going to be stuck babysitting! I just know it!”
 
“Shut up, Hiten,” someone told the complainer. “It isn't going to be that bad.”
 
“Whatever,” Hiten grumbled.
 
Sesshomaru shook his head as he and his mother made their way towards his father's apartment. The older youkai would be expecting them within the next ten minutes, providing his wayward friends would stop their complaining and wandering away.
 
Truth be told, he felt slightly apprehensive. It was the first time he'd brought friends over to his father's apartment for anything. He had no idea as to how his father and younger half-brother would react to some of his friends, or how his friends would react to them. A gentle hand squeezed his shoulder.
 
“Relax,” his mother murmured. “It isn't going to be as bad as you're probably making it out to be.”
 
“Probably not,” he conceded as the group waited for the elevator. “I just hope no one minds Inuyasha . . .”
 
“They won't,” she told him. “You'll see.”
 
The elevator opened to admit them. Within a few minutes, they were on his father's floor and heading for the suite. Already, Sesshomaru could hear “Nee-cha!” and they weren't even halfway to his father's. He smirked to himself. The pup had an uncanny knack for knowing when he was coming.
 
“Who is that?” one of the girls, Kagome, inquired.
 
“That would be my little brother,” he chuckled.
 
“He knows we're here?”
 
“Excellent hearing,” Yashira stated, gesturing to one of her own ears. “Excellent sense of smell, too.”
 
They reached the door at the same time his father opened it. Tiny arms reached for him. Out of habit, Sesshomaru picked him up and led his friends to the living room . . .
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho watched Sesshomaru immediately settled on the couch, Inuyasha resting comfortably against him. Several of the females were cooing to the pup, and commenting on how cute he looked. He chuckled then turned to Yashira.
 
“So where are you staying during this?” he inquired softly. Despite their separation, the demoness still held a very special place in his heart.
 
“I was going to get a hotel room for a few days . . .”
 
“Nonsense,” InuTaisho shook his head. “You can stay here with me and Sesshomaru and Inuyasha.”
 
“Tai, there isn't enough . . .”
 
“Both boys have their own room plus there's an extra guest room, Shi,” he stated firmly. “I'm not going to take no for answer on this.”
 
For a moment, she hesitated, uncertainty lighting her eyes. Finally, Yashira sighed and shook her head.
 
“All right, I'll stay,” she murmured. InuTaisho smiled once more.
 
“I'll have Li bring up your things and park your car for you . . .” He looped his arm through hers and ushered her in. “Inuyasha, come help me fix supper.”
 
“Nee-cha!”
 
“Sounds like he's mine for the night, Father,” came the chuckle. “You're out of luck.”
 
“Oh, hush,” InuTaisho admonished.
 
“Nee-cha?” Yashira blinked. “Is that his way of saying 'no'?”
 
“That's his way of saying he wants his brother,” he replied. “Help me with supper and I'll tell you all about Inuyasha-speak.”