InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sun filtered through the window, hitting InuTaisho directly in the eye. With a groan, he cursed himself for not having closed the curtains further before he fell asleep. Out of habit, he stretched, his arm brushing against the side of bed next to the wall . . . only to feel an empty bed. InuTaisho sat up, startled for a moment then groaned again. Apparently his youngest decided to find someone else to crawl into bed with in the middle of the night.
 
'That,' he thought as he got up, 'or he got into the Cheerios again.'
 
Slipping into his robe and tying it, InuTaisho headed into the kitchen, pausing when he heard Yashira's voice talking to someone. Curious, he walked towards the guest room where she was staying. A pup giggling ensued just as he reached her door. Smiling, he knocked on her door.
 
'So this is where he got to,' he mused.
 
“Come in.”
 
“Good morning,” he murmured, opening the door. Yashira rested on her side, her head propped on one hand. Next to her lay Inuyasha . . . or what he could see of the pup. The child had buried himself under the blankets so that only the top of his head stuck out.
 
“I heard him get up a couple hours ago,” his former mate offered apologetically. “I brought him in here to keep him out of the cupboards. I was afraid he'd get into something that would make him sick.”
 
“`apa!” came Inuyasha's muffled giggle. “`apa!”
 
“You heard him get up?” he raised an eyebrow as he sat on the foot of her bed, and reached up to tickle a foot, knowing instinctually what game his son was playing. Yashira nodded.
 
“Yeah . . . I got to him before he could start opening the cupboards. I couldn't believe how quickly he'd gotten into the kitchen.”
 
“`apa!”
 
“I see you, Inuyasha,” he told the pup then glanced back at the demoness. “I know. He can move quickly if he knows his environment. And thank you. You didn't have to retrieve him.”
 
“Well, I know how much you care about him,” she murmured. “I just didn't want anything to happen to him.”
 
“I appreciate it, though I daresay he knows what cupboards he's getting into,” InuTaisho chuckled. Above him, Inuyasha giggled and squirmed, making his way closer to Yashira.
 
“He does?” she frowned, her expression dubious. “How? He can't see . . .”
 
“But he can smell,” he smiled. “He can pick up scents that even I somehow miss. He knows which cupboards have the cereal and other dry finger foods, and which ones don't.”
 
“Oh . . .” Yashira then grinned, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink. “I feel silly now.”
 
“You didn't know,” he soothed. “I can't fault you for following your instincts . . . Would you like some breakfast, Yashira?”
 
“I'm not . . .” the inu demoness began, her expression slightly alarmed.
 
“Relax,” he winked. “The miso soup is already prepared, it just needs to be heated up. Other than that, breakfast around here is usually just granola, fruits and yogurt.”
 
“Granola, fruits and yogurt?”
 
“Hai . . . It's what Inuyasha likes in the mornings, plus it's quick and easy.”
 
“All right,” Yashira finally conceded, digging Inuyasha out from underneath her blankets. “Sounds good, Tai.”
 
* * *
 
“Nee-cha!”
 
Sesshomaru groaned and buried his head as small fingers poked him on the nose and cheek. He wondered idly if Inuyasha woke their father up in the same manner.
 
'Probably does,' he figured, trying to get out of the pup's range. It was a futile exercise, he knew. Inuyasha, when he got it in his head to give his brother a wake up call, gave his brother a wake up call.
 
Sure enough, the moment he'd gotten out of Inuyasha's reach, the pup climbed into the bed with him, promptly snuggling up to him. A tiny finger poked his nose once more.
“Nee-cha,” the pup cooed softly. “B'ea'fas . . .”
 
Sesshomaru opened one eye to gaze at him.
 
“Breakfast? Is Mother fixing it? Or Father?”
 
“`apa . . .”
 
'Light breakfast then,' he thought as he wrapped his arms around his brother. He could already smell the strawberry yogurt on his brother's breath. 'That isn't too bad. But I'm not getting up. Not just yet.'
 
* * *
 
“Are you sure about this, Hakura-san?”
 
“I'm sure,” the dark-haired woman nodded. “I need to know what happened to him. I need to know that he's safe.”
 
“Very well,” came the reply. “I'll begin right away.”