InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

InuTaisho hummed softly as he made his way to his office, a five-year-old pup sleeping contentedly against his back. It had become nothing unusual for him to show up with Inuyasha strapped in the baby carrier, the hanyou out like a light. Since he'd decided he wasn't going to let someone else raise his child, InuTaisho had opened a daycare in the facility. Those who had young children could bring them in so the adults could check on their children throughout the day and not have to worry about rushing to another daycare center or the baby-sitter's to get their pups at a certain time. It was also affordable for them as well.
 
As he reached his office, his secretary, a Higurashi Kaede, greeted him. The elderly woman never passed up a chance to take a peep at his son and pet his ears. She absolutely adored him.
 
“Good morning, Shacho,” she bowed slightly then craned her head, chuckling. “Sleeping once again, is he?”
 
“Hai,” InuTaisho chuckled. “The ride here does that to him. How are your nieces and nephew?”
 
“Doing good,” she nodded, picking up a bundle of papers then handing them over to him. “Kikyou's doing well in the archery tournaments, Kagome's enjoying her art classes and Souta is being Souta, the little imp. Oh, a Takeda Musou from the Tokyo Police Department called just before you arrived. Said he was on his way to talk to you about a matter of importance.”
 
“Really?” InuTaisho frowned. Why would the Tokyo Police be calling him? “He didn't say why?”
 
“No, Shimizu-sama. Just that it was a matter of importance.”
 
“Huh . . . Send him when he gets here. Make sure security knows that he's coming.”
 
“Very well, Shacho.”
 
Kaede returned to her desk, and InuTaisho went to his, his expression contemplative. What did the Tokyo Police Department want with him anyway?
 
* * *
 
“Here we are, Hukara-san,” Takeda Musou stated, stepping out of his car. Behind him, Hukara Izayoi climbed out then began to search for her pack of cigarettes. She'd just found them as they approached the main lobby to Shimizu Enterprises and had started to light one when Musou grabbed her hand.
 
“No smoking allowed in the building,” he explained she gave him a confused look, pointing to the sign. The woman, he had noticed, smoked cigarettes like they were going out of style. He didn't have a super sensitive nose, like the youkai race did, but even he could smell the cigarette smoke on the woman.
 
“Oh,” she murmured, putting the pack away. Musou shook his head then entered the building, the Hukara woman behind him. They were greeted by security who, upon hearing his name, allowed him to pass unhindered. Soon, they were on an elevator, heading for the sixth floor where one Shimizu InuTaisho worked.
 
'This has got to be one of the most unusual cases I've ever had to deal with,' he thought as the elevator went slowly. 'I don't even know why I'm helping this woman. Even if she were to find her child, the courts wouldn't allow her access to the boy. She abandoned him. Granted, she's been through rehab but that won't be enough for the courts. I'm surprised she even remembered much about who she slept with.'
 
Tokyo Hospital, the place where her child had been born at, had not helped them much when Musou decided to help her locate her child. The doctors and the nurses had given her disgusted looks when they'd learned who she was. Musou was pretty sure it was because she'd been drunk and on LSD at the time she slept with an inuyoukai, giving birth to a hanyou child. Their attitudes towards Hukara Izayoi disgusted him, to say the least. Granted, he didn't like the fact that she had slept with a youkai but then that had been her decision. Not his.
 
A few moments later, they were stepping onto the sixth floor, and Musou looked for anyone who might help. An elderly woman with an eye patch approached them.
 
“Takeda Musou?” she inquired.
 
“Hai.”
 
“Higurashi Kaede,” she bowed. “I've informed Shacho of your arrival. Please follow me. Shimizu-sama is expecting you.”
 
She led them through the cubicles to a spacious office at the end of the room. Behind a large mahogany desk sat the most imposing inuyoukai Musou had ever met. Pride and dignity emanated from the executive, giving him a very intimidating appearance. The male sat straight, even as he wrote.
 
Swallowing hard, Musou waited as Kaede knocked on the frame and announced him. Golden eyes rose to meet his, and Musou felt himself shrinking in. Next to him, Hukara Izayoi fidgeted.
 
'No! I mustn't allow him to intimidate me. He may be a powerful youkai but he also isn't above the law. I must remain calm and not allow him to intimidate or deter me from my job.'
 
“Come in,” InuTaisho nodded, gesturing to a chair. His nose then crinkled as Izayoi started to approach. “She stays right where she's at.”
 
“Pardon?” Musou blinked.
 
“She stays right where she's at,” he repeated, pointing to Izayoi, pen in hand. “I can smell the cigarette smoke on her. She stays right where she's at.”
 
Musou glanced at her then nodded in reassurance. He knew he probably smelled like cigarette smoke, too, thanks to the half a pack Izayoi had smoked on the drive there, and that the only reason why InuTaisho was even letting him approach was because he was an officer of the law. InuTaisho set his pen down and folded his hands.
 
“What can I do for you, Takeda-sama?” came the polite inquiry. Obviously, his presence baffled the business youkai and for good reason. Shimizu InuTaisho had done nothing wrong, in the eyes of the law.
 
“Shimizu-san,” he began, “I am here to inquire about a child that had been borne to a Hukara Izayoi five years ago. A child that she had abandoned . . .”
 
InuTaisho stiffened, his eyes going cold. Musou blinked. He hadn't expected that kind of a reaction.
 
“Is that her?”
 
“Hai . . . Shimizu-san, Hukara-san has gone through rehabilitation in the last year and a half, and she remembers giving birth to the child. She came to the police department, asking for our help to find the child. When we went to Tokyo Hospital, they were less than kind in helping us. The only thing that they would confirm for us was that she did, in fact, give birth to a male child. A hanyou child. They wouldn't tell us if the father had been contacted regarding the birth or if the child had been adopted. Hukara-san has gone over photos, through both our criminal files and newspaper clippings we have in our building. You were one of many youkai she claims to have slept with. We are hoping that you'll be able to tell us something.”
 
“Like?”
 
“Like if the hospital contacted you about the child. As I said, he is hanyou and narrows the list of fathers down quite considerably. Hukara-sama is quite worried about the child's well being. She doesn't even know if he's alive.”
 
InuTaisho seemed to consider his words before he leaned forward, his eyes golden ice. He shivered some, as if the temperature in the room had dropped.
 
“Then maybe she shouldn't have abandoned him.”
 
“I agree with you about that,” Musou swallowed again. “She shouldn't have . . . but what's done is done. All she'd like to know is whether the child is alive or not. And, if he is, where he's at . . . did the hospital contact you about the child?”
 
“Hai. The hospital contacted me about the child,” came the cold reply.
 
“Then you are the father?”
 
“Hai. I am the father.” His cold gaze then traveled to the woman standing in the door. If looks could kill, Musou was quite certain Hukara Izayoi would be leaving Shimizu Enterprises in a body bag. “And, as his father, I will make sure she never sees him ever again.”