InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When Lights Go Down ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yashira stared at her former mate, her eyes wide. Surely he jested. The pup's mother was now suing for custody after five years of abandonment? She couldn't believe it, and, from the look on InuTaisho's face, she could tell he couldn't believe it, either. Finally, she found her voice.
 
“How can she sue for custody of him? She abandoned him.”
 
“Apparently there's a judge that feels she deserves a chance,” he all but spat out, his fingers untangling some unseen knot in Inuyasha's hair. Then he inhaled deeply and shook his head. “It doesn't matter. She won't get custody of him. I'll see to it.”
 
“How?” Yashira inquired. “I mean, she's already got a judge on her side. And if you ask for a different judge, it'll look like you have a judge in your pocket.”
 
“I'm aware of that, Yashira,” InuTaisho stated. “It isn't something that hasn't crossed my mind. I just need to relax. My lawyers are working on it. I do have a strong enough case against her.”
 
“Yeah,” she nodded. “You do.”
 
Trying to ignore the uneasiness that had settled in her stomach, Yashira went back into the kitchen to finish preparing supper.
 
* * *
 
InuTaisho adjusted his tie one final time then smoothed out the invisible wrinkles of his suit jacket. His lawyers surrounded him, along with Dr. Sugara and several of the nurses who'd been working the day Inuyasha had been born. He'd left work early to be at the courthouse on time, despite the fact that it could be hours before his case even went before the judge. Fortunately, Yashira had agreed to watch Inuyasha for him during the proceedings. After he'd encountered Izayoi for the second time, he didn't want to expose his son and his still fragile lungs to the cigarette smoke he knew would cloak the woman.
 
“Relax, Shimizu-sama,” one of the males murmured. “She doesn't have a case.”
 
“I know,” he replied. “I just want to get this over with and get home to my son. That's all.”
 
“You'll be home before you know it,” the man soothed.
 
The bailiff called his name and the case number, indicating the judge was ready to see them. Taking a deep breath, InuTaisho followed his lawyers in and took his seat. Izayoi and her lawyer weren't there. For a moment, the inuyoukai was certain that she'd fail to show up, that her act had been just that: an act. Then the scent of cigarette smoke heralded her arrival, and InuTaisho did his best to hide his disgust, reaffirming his vow to keep Inuyasha away from her at all costs.
 
As soon as Izayoi and her troop of lawyers had arrived, they were sworn in and the judge appeared before them. For the next several hours, Izayoi's lawyers went on and on about how what her life had been like before and during her pregnancy for her hanyou child, and what her life had been like afterwards. They spoke of how she'd gone through rehabilitation and how, when she'd remembered that she had a child, had started searching for any information about him then ended with cold attitude InuTaisho had given her when she'd expressed an interest in her child. Before his lawyers had a chance to present his case, the judge called a halt for the day.
 
As the lawyers were packing up, the judge gazed at InuTaisho.
 
“Shimizu-sama . . .”
 
“Hai, your Honour?” He met her gaze, unflinching.
 
“Tomorrow, bring the child with you to court,” she stated. “I will determine Hukara-san's rights then.”
 
“Your Honour,” InuTaisho began, “I dare not bring the child with me. Not with Hukara-san smoking as she does.”
 
“And why not?” the woman demanded, folding her arms.
 
“He has asthma,” he stated. “As Dr. Sugara will testify . . . the scent of smoke will cause him to have an attack.”
 
“I do not smell cigarettes on her . . . How is it that you can?”
 
“I am inuyoukai, your Honour, making my son half. His sense of smell is also how he sees . . .”
 
“How he sees?” she raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“He is blind,” InuTaisho explained. “His other senses, especially smell, are heightened because of it. I dare not bring him here for fear he'll have a hard time breathing.”
 
“Then I suggest you make sure that he doesn't have a hard time breathing,” the judge snapped. “He needs to be here. Bring him tomorrow, Shimizu-sama, or I will hold you in contempt. That will be all.”
 
InuTaisho watched, his heart going cold with fear, as the judge left the courtroom. One of his lawyers grasped his shoulders.
 
“Don't worry, Shimizu-sama. Your son will be all right. We're already putting in for another judge, someone who is neutral. We won't allow the child to be ripped away from you.”
 
“I hope so,” he murmured, feeling slightly sick to his stomach. Already he had a bad feeling about this case.
 
'No!' he scolded himself. 'Don't think like that! No respectable judge would tear a child away from the only home he's ever had. Think positive. Inuyasha needs you to be strong and to not waver. She won't get him. No matter what she tries, Izayoi won't get him. He'll be safe from her. He will.'
 
“Shimizu-sama.”
 
He took a deep breath as Izayoi called his name then slowly turned to face her, his expression going cool. Fire lit her eyes as she faced off against him.
 
“I will see my son,” she declared quietly. “And there's nothing you can do to stop me.”