InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Whimpers ❯ Tears ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hello my readers!!! How are you all? This story came on a whim and I wrote it down in a hurry so I apologize for any mistakes. I did go through it.

I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters... I'm telling you the truth. Believe me! I mean it..... I'm not overreacting. How dare you say that?!

DIE YOU MUTANT HAIRBALLS!!

Ok, ok... Enough of my ranting. Enjoy and please review. This is my first fanfic!

Ok, I'm going to shut up.

I will.

I promise.

Believe me.

Why don't you believe me?!

FEH!!

*snickers*

*purrs*

*gets knocked out by angry readers*

OKOKOK!!

I get the message.

On with the story! Or as Inuyasha would say:

Would you just start the !@#$%^& story already?!

Shutting up.

~_~

Inuyasha's breath came out in wisps as he raced to the well with new-found speed. Below he could hear her tears hitting the ground with sharp prinks, and the wind whistling past her hair as she ran. Her footsteps came as gentle thuds and her whimpers hit his ears and shocked them. A single emotion stood above the others. Pain.

He shook his head urging himself to pass her; to beat her to the well. He silently begged the gods that she didn't sit him before he could explain. He knew it hurt her to see him with Kikyou but he didn't know how much... He had stupidly thought it was because Kikyou had tried to kill Kagome so she was mad that he hadn't gotten mad. Today, today he learned it was because of her feelings toward not Kikyou, but himself.

~~::(Flashback)::~~

Kagome walked along the stream edge searching for herbs which Kaede had asked for. Inuyasha's latest battle with Kagura had resulted in yet another wound and Kaede had to use all the remaining herbs to heal him. Kagome had kindly offered to collect some more in the nearby forest when she had come across two voices, one being Inuyasha's. She hadn't meant to listen in but her curiosity had taken hold of her. She crept closer and was surprised Inuyasha hadn't smelt her. She wondered what had his attention so captivated.

She gasped and fresh tears hit the corners of her eyes. Again, her sight met Kikyou and Inuyasha... Her eyes narrowed into slits making her look almost cat-like. She stood from her crouching position and leaned against a tree, trying to fight her emotions. Then she heard the shattering words..

"Kikyou, I love you. I've never stopped loving you. But I can't be with you... You are----dead." his head hung and he couldn't meet her gaze.

"Inuyasha. The Shikon Jewel should soon be whole and I will appear. I'll come to you and outstretch my hand. You take it and Hell will welcome us. The only problem is, the girl. I am not sure if you will want to come with me. I know your feelings have changed, no use in denying."

"But Kikyou... My love lies with you. It has never been with anyone else."

Kagome took a deep intake of breath, her body shuddered and tears splashed freely down her pale cheeks. She swallowed and backed away, turning and plunging deep into the forest behind her.

Inuyasha raced back to camp after his hurried confrontation with Kikyou. She hadn't believed his words and to say the utmost truth, he wasn't sure he believed them either. On his way back he frowned, he smelt Kagome everywhere. Her usually soothing scent sent shivers down his back this time. He could smell its usually fragrant minty flower haze, but it was mixed with fear, confusion, pain, anger, and a pang of tears.

His feet picked up and he ran back to the camp they had rested in the past two days. Miroku was sitting and examining his hand, sneaking glances at Sango as she working on cleaning her boomerang and Shippo was sitting beside her eating chocolates.

"Where's Kagome?"

Sango glanced up and Miroku as well, Shippo didn't seem to agknowledge his presence as he continued stuffing his little face.

"She went out to get extra herbs for Kaede who has run out. Why?" Sango asked, unconsciously clutching her weapon closer to her.

Kaede interrupted, seeming to have come out of her cottage and overheard the conversation. "Now that you mention it, I wonder why she isn't back..."

Inuyasha's heart thudded hard seeing the worried look grace everyone's features. "Feh.. Squirt, get in the hut with the old hag. Miroku, Sango, you too go left and right..."

Although Shippo and Kaede gave undignified glares, they too went their way. Inuyasha made sure everyone had left before he snuck over to her big yellow sack and opened it. He didn't think she would leave without it and he wanted to see if it would show any indication of where she had disappeared to. Also, as long as she was gone he might as well take a peek, I mean, she wouldn't ever let him otherwise.

He held it upside down, making quick work of emptying it. He had memorized everything that had been in it last time she had took everything out in a hurried journey of trying to find her math book or some crap like that. His eyes skimmed over everything and one yet was missing. Her diary. She had explained to him that you would write your deepest secrets or feelings in one and he wondered why it was gone.

He got up and went back to the place where he had smelt her last and followed her scent for nine yards before checking his direction. His breath caught in his throat and he almost felt his heart stop. The direction lead to the well. He took off at a unusual pace, when he stopped, feeling like he hadn't gone three feet. His eyes fell upon the missing item........Her diary. He picked it up with shaking fingers and the pages fell open to the most recently used page. The writing was shaky but beautifully written as he knew Kagome's would be. What kicked his heart were the still damp teardrops smudging some of the letters. It was still, fortunately, readable.

I went to gather roots and such for Kaede and I came to a

clearing where I heard voices. I recognized Inuyasha's and

soon found the other to be Kikyou's. I was surprised he

hadn't sensed me but I knew why. He always loves her....

Always has, always will. Why does this happen to me? I

shook and shuddered but listened with straining ears and

I heard him tell her he always loved her and has never

stopped. I heard her say she would take him to hell as soon

as the Shikon was complete. He said he would freely go but

she doubted. Why? She foolishly thought he had feelings for

me. Why would he? I have no beauty compared and no grace

like hers. I am a Miko but no one would know. I am no priestess.

I know he loved her first and she loved him but why is he so

blind? She wanted him human! She wanted him changed and I

want him like he is. The arrogant, jerky, self-centered, hanyou..

I would never change him. I stupidly thought he might some

day, somehow, be able to change his love to me but that's where I

messed up. What a baka I've been! I never saw that I was only a

jewel-detector for him. I was never anything else. Was I even a

friend? I never did understand did I? I loved him with every inch

of me and he never returned those feelings. I.....I was too scared to

believe he hated me. But its true. No point in denying... I was

always so hurt when he was with Kikyou because I was jealous

of the Miko who had stolen his heart. I loved him. I still do.

It kills me inside to even think of him this very moment. His

fuzzy ears which will never be mine. His silver hair which I will

never get to feel. His hanyou soul, that stubborn, stupid jerk who

I love so much...... I wish you well, my Inuyasha. Be happy,

whoever you are with. I love you. Shippo too. You were like a

brother to me, perhaps a son. I'll always love you and your

bright smile. Sango, my sister. Take care of Miroku. I know you

love him. At least one of us can love who we like freely. Miroku,

keep your hands on Sango and I know you two will be together.

You love her. She loves you. I love you both. Good luck.

Goodbye me friends... I will never forget you. I love you all.

If only you knew how much. Ja ne diary...

A new tear hit the paper, this one belonging to Inuyasha. He closed the book and tucked it among his robes. He swiped the tears away. How could he not see? How could he not understand? Baka, baka, baka! He shook himself free and closed his eyes, breathing in the angst-filled moment. He opened his eyes, the gold flicks flared. He leapt to the trees, his speed reflecting his emotion. He knew one thing at that confusing moment. He would not lose her.

~~::(End Flashback)::~~