InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why? ❯ Chapter 3

[ A - All Readers ]

Hi all!!
 
 
Here's the third chap of Why?I hope you'll like it. Oh, and here's who my OC's are, and where their names came from -
 
 
Mai - Akikoheadmistress/priestess - YuGiOh
Kaji - Mai's tanuki (raccoon) youkai adopted son - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yukito - husband of young couple in Akiko- Card Captor Sakura
Ritsuko - wife of young couple in Akiko- Neon Genesis Evangelion
Eriol - Tanoheadman/2IC under Kaede - Card Captor Sakura
 
 
Oh, and if any of you found my comment about Mai's kimono's being too short for Kagome odd (if you think about the length of her school skirt…), I thought of it this way - Kagome's supposedly about 5'3” and I picture Mai about 4'11”-5”even, so the proportions would be way off. I think the Ritsuko from Neon Genesis Evangelion is taller than 5'3”, but for this, she's the same height as Kagome.
 
 
Ok, enough babbling -on to the fic!
 
 
Fell deeds, awake! Now for wrath, now for ruin, and a red dawn! Forth Eorlingas!!
 
 
Uh, heheh, sorry `bout that…. No earthly idea why I just put that in there. If any of you recognized that, let me know, `cause I'm just curious to know if anyone did.(Hint: Take a look at the last two words - they should give it away….)
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own any part of Card Captor Sakura, created by the women of CLAMP. Nor do I own any part of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nor do I own the characters or original show storyline from the anime/manga Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko.
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Why?
Chapter 3
 
 
As soon as the spell wore off, Inuyasha leapt up and started his usual post-`osuwari' rant. “Oi, wench!” he roared, “What the hell was that fo-” He stopped, blinked, then spoke again. “K-Kagome?” She smiled at him and nodded. The relief and joy was so evident on his face that it was hard to look at. He let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. “Oh kami, it is you….”
 
 
The next thing she knew, she was enveloped by a sea of red fire-rat cloth. Inuyasha? she thought, a little startled at the fierceness of the hug. All of a sudden, the strength in their legs gave out and sent them both to their knees on the ground. The hug was very reminiscent of when Inuyasha had first hugged Kagome on this same spot. (A/N: See “Go Home to Your Own Time, Kagome!”) So reminiscent, in fact, that she just had to ask. She pulled back from him just enough to look at his face and said, a smile on her face all the while, “Uh, you're not gonna throw me down a well now, are you?”
 
 
Inuyasha met her gaze and half-smiled, half-scowled, his eyes shining brightly. “No, baka wench. But I will reconsider that decision if you decide to do anything like that ever again….” He trailed off as his voice cracked and he renewed the hug. Needless to say, Kagome was a little worried by this point. Inuyasha just wasn't acting like himself. “Inuyasha?” she asked, a little hesitant, unsure as to how to approach him about this. “Are you okay? What's wrong? Tell me, please. Come on.”
 
 
Inuyasha raised his head from where it had been anchored to her shoulder and made a weird little sound: an odd little mix of a laugh, a scoff, and a sniffle all rolled into one. He pulled back far enough to look at her and said, “Keh, nosy wench. If I didn't already know it was you, I definitely would now. Only you are that inquisitive.” Kagome blushed. Inuyasha thought for a second, then amended his statement. “Well… you and Shippou.” That remark got Kagome to giggle. “Kami, I've missed your laugh,” said Inuyasha, keeping his arms around her.
 
 
That sentence stopped Kagome's light giggles cold. He what? thought Kagome. “Kagome, can I ask you a question? Two, actually,” he said, changing the subject abruptly. She was still pondering his previous statement and what it could mean; thus, she could only nod in response. Ok, here goes, he thought. “I know you heard some of what I said while I was standing at the well, but exactly how much did you hear?” he asked, trying not to lose his nerve. Kagome snapped out of her daze and answered him. “Uh, I came up when you were yelling at me for my decision to destroy Naraku.”
 
 
Inuyasha snorted a bit. “So you heard all of it, huh?” She nodded and he continued. “Ok, now for my second question. Since you heard all of what I said, you know that I heard what you said just before the explosion. What I want to know is this: did you mean it? Did you mean what you said, or was it just a heat of the moment thing?” It took Kagome a heart-stopping second (to Inuyasha) to digest his question, but she replied without hesitation.
 
 
“Yeah, I did. I meant every word.”
 
 
Surprised, yet also somehow not, Inuyasha opened his mouth to speak once again, but something caught his eye behind Kagome. “Inuyasha?” she said, then turned her head and upper body around to look at what had so captivated his attention.
 
 
Her heart sank when she saw the shinidama-chuu (A/N: Gomen if that's the wrong spelling) hovering over the tops of the trees behind her. Kikyou appeared at the edge of the forest as her soul skimmers deposited yet another young woman's soul into her cold molded clay body (A/N: also known as the dead clay pot!!! Again, gomen, sorry, but I don't like Kikyou at all.). As one, considering the grip his arms still had around her, Inuyasha and Kagome stood and turned so both were facing the undead miko.
 
 
“Inuyasha,” said the other priestess, “It is time.” Inuyasha felt Kagome stiffen in his embrace at Kikyou's words and he was pretty sure why, but even though, he wanted to hear the words from Kikyou herself. “Time?” he repeated, “Time for what, Kikyou?” Her cold eyes flashed hot for the briefest of seconds before slipping back behind their usual mask. “You know very well `what for', Inuyasha. Naraku is gone and I have given you two weeks to settle your affairs here on this earth - now it is time for you to accompany me to hell.”
 
 
At these words, Kagome stiffened even more in Inuyasha's arms, causing him to look at her. “Kagome?” he questioned. He felt her small hands reach up around his neck to fiddle with something. A weight was lifted off his neck and his sensitive ears caught a small tinkling sound as her hands came away, taking both the kodotama rosary and the golden locket with them. “Ka-Kagome? What're you doin'?” he asked, his voice shaking slightly, scared at the loss of contact with his connections to her. Kagome just kept her head down, bangs covering her eyes, and brought her hands to her chest as she shrugged out of his grasp. Kagome…he thought.
 
 
Kagome surprised herself by keeping her voice steady as a rock while she explained herself to Inuyasha. “Like I said, I meant every single word, and all I want, all I have ever wanted, is for you to live - but most of all, for you to be happy. If going with her is what you truly want, if it's what will truly make you happy, then…I won't stop you. Hell, I'll even help you, if that's what you want. But still, I ask only one thing. Don't forget us…don't forget me…please.”
 
 
The quiet, sad resignation in her voice was almost too much for Inuyasha. He took a step toward her, intent on taking her in his arms and comforting her, on swearing never to leave her again, on declaring his love for her after denying it for so many years, but the voice of a forgotten Kikyou stopped him in his tracks. “Inuyasha,” she said, “Are you quite finished? We must be going.” She turned to walk away, not looking back to see if he would follow - as if she was expecting him to come - but she froze when she heard his voice.
 
 
“No.”
 
 
“What?” she said, unbelief creeping into her voice. “I said, no, Kikyou,” Inuyasha repeated, “I'm not going to hell with you.” She blinked; then she went to her fall-back plan - attack his honour. “You made a promise to me!” “Wrong, Kikyou!” he snapped, startling both her and Kagome. He continued, “I made a promise to the woman - no, the person - I thought you were. But now I'm starting to realize that even if you ever were that person, you definitely aren't now!” Inuyasha's voice had been steadily rising throughout his `conversation' with Kikyou; now he took a moment to calm down and lower it to a more normal level.
 
 
“Kikyou, I will put this as simply as I can. I won't kill you - regardless of what you may have done, some part of me still cares for you in someway - but I am never…going…to…hell…with…you!”
 
 
Kikyou just stared at him in shock. Which was about all Kagome could do as well. “Inuyasha,” said Kikyou, “What do you expect me to do?” Inuyasha shrugged, “I dunno, and to be truly honest, I really don't give a rip, but the way I see it, you have two choices: on the one hand you can go to hell - which, by the way, is where you belong - on your own and rest in peace. Or on the other hand, you can continue to wander the earth and absorb the souls of dead women. If you choose to do the latter, I suggest going back to that village near Mount Hakurei. The children there seemed to like you and it's far enough away to fulfill my only request.”
 
 
She looked at him and asked the obvious question. “And what is that?” He just looked at her and replied, “That you never come near us or anyone we know again for as long as you walk this earth. Deal?” Kikyou looked at him, deciding. She nodded, turned on her heel, and was caught up by her soul collectors and carried off.
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
After Kikyou's abrupt departure, Inuyasha turned to a rather stunned Kagome (A/N: wouldn't you be?) and waved a hand in front of her face to get her attention. “Hello? Anyone home?” he said, teasing. “Yes, I'm here,” she said, a bit irritably, then her expression and voice turned serious. “Inuyasha, do you realize what you just did?” “Yes,” he said, taking her in his arms once again, “It's something I should have done long ago. Kagome, I know you meant what you said, but can you say it again? Please?” Hearing him say please combined with those kawaii fuzzy dog ears was enough to persuade her to give in. “Ok, Inuyasha. I lo-” “Wait,” he interrupted, and walked over to the well, holding her hand to get her to follow.
 
 
They sat down next to the well with Kagome's right side and Inuyasha's left against it. Kagome looked up into Inuyasha's beautiful molten gold eyes and said with all her heart, “I love you, Inuyasha.” He was so happy, hearing her say that. “Kagome, I want to tell you something,” he said, “But can you do something for me first?” Kagome was a little confused at his request, but nodded her head. “Ok, what is it?” “Can you put that rosary and locket back on?!” he asked quickly, rubbing his neck as he did so, “It just feels too weird to not be wearing them….” Kagome just smiled, lifted the said objects in her hands, and did what was requested of her. “Ok, now what did you want to tell me?” she asked.
 
 
He took a deep breath before answering. He knew how she felt, but he was still unsure. He was a hanyou, after all. Hanyou are supposed to be despised by youkai, feared by ningen, and yet this girl did neither of those. She took him as he was - as himself, as Inuyasha, neither human nor youkai, but in his own place. She managed to worm her way into his heart, past the defenses years of rejection and harm from both sides of his heritage had built up. If I don't say something know, I never will. Here goes…everything.
 
 
“Kagome, I'm not exactly sure how to say this, but…” He trailed off, still unsure; he wasn't looking at her, but down at his lap, where his hands were clenched into fists. Kagome placed her hands on his, “What are you trying to say?” Inuyasha looked up at her, the emotions on his face indescribable. “What I'm trying to say is that, well, I…” He took another deep breath, then finished his thought in a rush. “Iloveyoutoo,Kagome.
 
 
What? Did he really just say that? she thought, I know he just sent Kikyou on her way, but still… “What did you say? You said it too quick; I couldn't understand you,” she said, still a bit in shock. Inuyasha, still looking her directly in the eyes, repeated himself, only a little slower this time. “I love you too, Kagome. I have for a long time, I've just been too much of an ass to let myself realize it.”
 
 
Kagome's face went from a slightly confused, slightly unbelieving outlook to one of complete joy in a split second. The change caught Inuyasha a bit off guard. “Whaa?” was the one the sound heard from him as she launched herself at him, tackling him in a gigantic hug and knocking him onto his back.
 
 
“Inuyasha,” she said, her voice slightly muffled because her face was buried in the front of his haori, “You have no idea how long I've waited for you to say that….” Inuyasha smiled a bit to himself, “Probably about as long as I've tried to deny it.” “Ha. Probably,” she said, then raised her head to look at him as he sat up, taking her with him. He opened his mouth to ask her how she survived when his nose caught the scent of her blood.
 
 
“Kagome, you're bleeding!” he cried, pushing her back just a bit to check her over for injuries. “Huh?” she said; then as understanding dawned, she raised a hand to her chest where it was bandaged. Sure enough, the wound had re-opened and soaked through the bandages. Inuyasha stood up with his arms still around Kagome, not wanting to let go. “C'mon, let's go back to the village and get you bandaged back up.”
 
 
Half-way to the village, Kagome stumbled and Inuyasha caught her. “Are you okay, Kagome?” Panting slightly, she looked up at him, “Yeah, I'm alright.” After he finished helping her to her feet and started to walk back, she added under her breath, “For now.” A bit farther along, Kagome started to slow down until she finally stopped. Inuyasha, noticing this, turned and walked back to her. “Kagome?”
 
 
Kagome was feeling, well, just plain crappy would be a good way to put it. Her vision was swimming, her head was killing her, the wound in her chest was aching and felt like it was on fire, and her legs felt like jelly. She heard Inuyasha call her name, but it sounded like it was coming from a mile away. She looked up at him. “Inuyasha,” she said; her voice sounded faint, even to her own ears - she could only imagine what it sounded like to his. The jelly that was her legs finally dissolved and she collapsed, falling into his suddenly outstretched arms.
 
 
Kami, what in the world is going on? thought Inuyasha, gently shifting her in his arms to carry her bridal-style, She was fine just a few minutes ago. Until…her wound reopened! Something must have gotten in it, infected it - that's gotta be it! Kagome moaned a little, bringing Inuyasha's attention back to her. “Kagome?” he asked, “Are you alright? No, wait, that's a stupid question. You wouldn't have collapsed if you were alright.” She smiled, albeit weakly. “No, I'll be okay as soon as I get back to the village. The miko from the village that I've been at for the last two weeks has a salve that will take care of this.” “You sound confident in her abilities,” remarked Inuyasha, as he continued to walk back to the village with her still in his arms.
 
 
“Yeah,” said Kagome, “This has happened before. It's because of the miasma from Naraku's tentacle. It reacted with the miko powers in my blood to become something like a poison. If it's entirely contained in my body - whether by a scab or a bandage - it seems to be inert, but if it's exposed to air…” Inuyasha got the idea. “We're almost there, so we'll get you back to normal soon,” he said. “We have to find Eriol first,” she said, “I told the other miko - her name's Mai - to find him so he could help her find a room for the night. Once we find him, we find her.” Inuyasha nodded, then froze slightly as she snuggled against him a little. After a second, though, he relaxed. He liked this feeling, he decided, the feeling of her next to him. It felt…so…right somehow, like it was how everything was supposed to be.
 
 
“Mmm, Inuyasha,” she said. “Yah, Kagome,” he replied. “Are we there yet?”
 
 
He laughed out loud. “Are you that eager to be rid of me?” he asked, only half-joking. She smiled brightly. “No, of course not. It's just this blood on my shirt and skin is starting to dry and it's annoying the hell out of me.” He laughed again. It was such a wonderful sound - a true laugh, not a scoff like he used on the battlefields, a true laugh of amusement. Kagome decided she wanted to try and keep him laughing as much as possible for as long as she lived. “Kagome, I think you've been hanging around me WAAY too long - my language is rubbing off on you.” “And you consider this a bad thing?” “Well, no, not exactly….”
 
 
By this time they had reached the village and Kaede's hut. Stepping inside, they found not only their waiting friends, but also Mai and Kaji, who had found the others and already gotten acquainted with them. “Mai,” said Kagome, a bit sheepishly, “I hate to bother you again, but my wound has re-opened - can you bandage it again? Please?” Mai sighed, “Again? What's this make, Kagome? 4, 5 times?” “I know, I know, but it's not my fault. I really didn't notice I had done it this time,” said Kagome, defending herself. “Ok,” said Mai, “Now, all you boys, shoo! Go on now, GIT!”
 
 
Inuyasha gently laid Kagome down on the futon; then he, Miroku, Shippou, and Kaji skedaddled on right outta there. Once it was just the females inside the hut, Kagome gingerly removed her shirt to allow Mai access to the bloodied bandage on her chest. “Kagome, you really did a number on it this time,” said Mai, shaking her head as she removed the old bandage, “What did you do, tackle someone?” Kagome nearly choked when Mai said that; she covered it up with a coughing fit, garnering her odd looks from the others in the hut. “Kagome?” questioned Sango, “What did happen with you and Inuyasha?” “Aye,” chimed in Kaede, “Ye two's countenance was considerably happier when ye returned. What happened to cause such a change?”
 
 
Kagome blushed, then winced as Mai placed the homemade salve on the wound. “Damn, I forgot how much that stuff stings when the wound's open,” she said, then she began to answer the questions of Sango and Kaede. “Well, I found him at the well just before he would have gone through. He didn't realize I was there and was talking aloud. The stuff he was saying was directed at me - stuff about your reactions to what I did by destroying Naraku. Once I managed to make him realize it was me, he….”
 
 
“He what??” cried Sango, “Tell us!” Kagome smiled at Sango's anxiousness and answered. “Well, he hugged me. He hugged me and as good as told me that he missed me. But then, she had to show up….” “She didn't…. No, of course she would!” spouted Sango, who had never liked Kikyou, “Damn, she's such a bi-”
 
 
“Uh, excuse me.” All heads turned in Mai's direction. “I hate to interrupt, but two things: first, Kagome, I'm done. And second, who in the world are you talking about?” Kagome fished around in her bag for a spare shirt while Sango explained the whole Kagome-Inuyasha-Kikyou situation to Mai. Mai's eyes just got narrower and narrower as Sango talked. Kagome finished replacing her shirt and turned back to the others.
 
 
“Ok, so I understand about that whole situation now, Kagome,” said Mai, “Please, continue.” Kagome did so. “She had come to take Inuyasha down to hell with her. But something happened that surprised me.” A resounding cry of “WHAT?” was all Kagome could here when she didn't continue right away. “He said `No.' He didn't go to hell with her!” she finished this last bit with a huge smile on her face. “Really?” said Sango, “That's wonderful!!!” Kagome smiled, “But that's not all. He told me something after she left. He told me that he loved me. He actually loves me!!!”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Sango's squeal could be heard throughout the village. Inuyasha, Shippou, and Kaji nearly put their hands over their ears from the volume.
 

-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
“So, tell me! Did you tell him how much you love him in return?!” asked Sango quickly. “Oh, of course I did!” said Kagome, “I'm not crazy. But right after that, my wound reopened and we had to return. So, that's it.” “Kagome,” said Kaede, “I am happy for ye and for Inuyasha. Ye two have been through so much that ye deserve some happiness in ye lives. Speaking of whom, I will go tell the men-folk that they may return to the hut.” With that, she turned and left the hut. “Oh, Kagome,” said Sango, turning to her best friend, “I am so glad that Inuyasha finally came to his senses.” “So am I,” said Kagome, laughing. Mai was just sitting off to the side, not sure how much to join in.
 
 
When the men came back in, Mai stood up and said that she would retire to her borrowed hut for the night. “Kaji and I will be leaving early in the morning, so I want us to get some good sleep tonight,” she said. “Oh, ok,” said Kagome, getting up, “I'll walk you to your hut; I want to talk to you anyway.”
 
 
They walked outside with Kaji in tow. “I wanted to thank you for everything you did for me,” said Kagome, “It really means a lot. You were able to keep me alive so that I could see my friends again. And Inuyasha and I have told each other how we feel. That is more precious to me than just about anything. Thank you.” Mai was blushing like crazy by the time Kagome finished; luckily, they had just reached her hut by that time. “Goodnight, Kagome,” said Mai, “And you're welcome.” Kagome turned to walk back to Kaede's hut. “Goodnight Mai. `Night Kaji!” “'Night, Kagome!” came his reply.
 
 
Kagome returned to Kaede's hut and the others. They prepared for bed themselves and settled in for the night, but Kagome couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned for a couple of hours, then gave up and went looking for Inuyasha.
 
 
She found him in his favorite spot - the Goshinboku. “Kagome?” He hopped down to the ground when he caught her scent, “What's wrong?” “Nothing,” she said, “I just can't sleep.” He looked at her kind of shyly, “Do you want to come up in the branches with me? It usually works for me when I can't sleep.” “Ok,” she said. He took her in his arms and jumped back into the tree's tall branches. He settled down on one with her in front of him with her back to him and his arms around her waist.
 
 
“Hey, Inuyasha,” said Kagome, “I just realized something. You said that you come up here when you can't sleep. But you're up here so much - what keeps you up?” He buried his nose in her hair and thought a second before he answered. “Worries. Fears.” She turned her head to look at him. “About what?” “Usually about what had happened during a recent battle if you had gotten hurt. Or kidnapped. Or something. I am terrified of losing you, Kagome.” She looked into his eyes and smiled, “Well then, it's a good thing you already have me, huh?” He returned her gaze and smiled back, “Yeah, I'd say that's a very good thing.”
 
 
She snuggled back down next to him and, in minutes, was fast asleep. Inuyasha watched her sleeping form for a few minutes before following her example.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Wow, nine pages long…. So, what'd ya think? And before you ask, no, it's not over- I still have two chapters to goandthe last one will be a song-chap. It's a song I've been dying to do a fanfic to ever since I first heard it. But you'll have to wait until I post the chap to find out the song, `cause I'm not telling….
 
 
Mai and Kaji and the rest of my OCs probably won't reappear after this because they aren't necessary. The rest of this mainly focuses on Inuyasha and Kagome, but it does have some MirSan.
 
 
I know I probably fudged the distance between the well and the village a bit, but it had to be a considerable distance to fit my evil plot purposes. Mwhahahaha!!!! LOL I'm so psycho right now….
 
 
Ok, got a question for you guys - what did you think of my send-off for Kikyou? I REALLY don't like her (hate her is more like it), but I also really don't think Inuyasha could kill her, no matter how nice that would turn out. So I decided to make him indifferent as to her fate on this earth. I also thought that if she decided to remain in the living world, she would need a purpose, and caring for the children from the episodes with Suikotsu from the Shichinintai (Band of Seven for the English dub peoples - not to put them down, `cause I'm one of them) seemed like the best one.
 
 
BTW - since I left Kikyou's fate up in the air, if any of you are Kikyou fans and would like to take it up, feel free to do so. Just contact me through a review or something first, that's all I ask.
 
 
I think this author's note's gone on long enough…. Let me know what you think of my new chap in a review, and I'll update asap. Dai stiho!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr