InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Love ❯ Part Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: Problems arise in the Youkai Wolf Tribe and Kagome inadvertently becomes involved. On the run with Kouga, will InuYasha be able to find and save her in time?

Disclaimer: InuYasha is (c) Rumiko Takahashi, Viz Comics, et al.

WILD LOVE
(PART 2 OF 4)

Kagome's head swiveled, gaping between the stranger and Kouga. She had obviously misheard. Chichi-ue? That had to be a mistake.

"Kouga-" she began, only to be interrupted by him for a second time that day. He waved for her to hush as additional wolf youkai arrived behind his chichi-ue.

The tribesmen then spanned, fencing them in on all sides excluding an opening to the river at their rear. At the inhospitable glances being thrown their way, she timidly stepped back and prepared to dive into the water. If necessary, they could use it as an escape route again.

In contrast to her withdraw, Kouga boldly stepped forward. He considered their behavior a challenge and refused to be intimidated.

We're going to die, we're going to die, we're going to die, we're going to die, Kagome chanted to herself.

Someone queried, "Shall we take them prisoner, Mamorou-tousan?"

We're going to... The inquiry made Kagome's internal ranting halt. Mamorou-tousan? Kouga had a kyodai here too? This was becoming a veritable family reunion.

"Iie, Kisho," Mamorou responded, not letting his focus waver from Kouga's defiantly proud demeanor. They were having a stare-off, mutely warring for dominance. During the impalpable struggle, both veiled the turbulent emotions that were, no doubt, underlying this impromptu meeting with the guise of cold indifference.

Kagome idly wondered if they really thought their impassive comport was fooling anyone. Tension was so thick it could be cut with a knife.

Mamorou finally remarked, "You look like kuso."

Giving a dismissive shrug of the shoulders, Kouga's notorious, confident smirk appeared. Indicating the assemblage, he taunted, "I still look twice as good as any of these ugly yaros at their best."

Wanting to defend him, Kagome supplemented, "Kouga-kun fought over a dozen youkai alone. I doubt any of you would have fared as well."

She comprehended that she should not have spoken almost immediately. In an instant, one of the larger members of the wolf tribe was in front of her with his meaty paw locked around her throat. He roughly squeezed and declared, "Food does not speak."

Kouga's lackadaisical attitude disappeared, replaced by a roar of outrage at her being manhandled. In a blur of movements he came to the rescue by snaring a sword from her captor's sheath and, as brutal punishment for the slight to her person, arced the weapon. It came into contact with a wrist.

Her cry of fear and shock was succeeded by the mutilated youkai's cry of loss and pain. Fixated on the severed hand and writhing individual before her, she was frozen. She had not believed Kouga was capable of such a ruthless deed.

Kami, what had she gotten into?

Bracing himself for a brawl, Kouga insolently lifted his head and harshly exclaimed, "The next ahou who looks at my woman wrong will suffer worse. Am I clear?"

His possessiveness brought Kagome to the present. She was on the verge of denying her status as "his woman" when common sense prevailed. Being "his" might just get her out of this mess unscathed. Hrm, it would either keep her unscathed or get her killed, depending upon the others' reaction to the fallen youkai.

The fallen youkai.

Overcoming her stupor, she started to assist him. Poor guy.

Recognizing her kindhearted intentions, Kouga snapped, "Iie, woman. He doesn't deserve your sympathy. Can you fathom what he would have done to you had I not intervened?"

"But, Kouga-kun-"

"Don't argue with me on this."

Seeing that he would not consent, she asked the others, "Are any of you going to do something?"

Everyone was motionless. Whether it was from astonishment of Kouga's brutality or his unparalleled speed, she was unsure.

Mamorou was the first to recover, though he paid no heed to the youkai Kagome was so concerned for. He simply commented, "By right, I could have both of you slaughtered for intruding here."

Kouga's bravado was in full force. "If it makes you feel better to think you can overpower me, chichi-ue, I will not dispute you. However, I discourage you from attempting to do so, else I might shatter that fanciful dream."

Was that a hint of pride in Mamorou's eyes?

Kagome was distracted from her ruminating when Kisho bit out, "He's as arrogant as ever. Otousan, allow me to put him in his proper place."

Observng Mamorou, she was disturbed that he was actually pondering the appeal. Did he truly plan to have the siblings fight one another? How... awful. Can anyone say "family counseling"?

After careful deliberation, sanction was given. "Hai. If the disperser survives sparring with you, he and his ningen will be granted sanctuary until he has mended. If he perishes, his ningen will be an excellent victory feast."

That triggered a blanch from Kagome. To so callously discuss the demise of an obocchan and murder of a ningen, especially when the ningen was HER.

And so, with Mamorou's decree, Kagome and Kouga found themselves being escorted from the river. The handless youkai, she ascertained to be named Jiro, was carted at their stern. Transporting him slowed the procession and it was late when they came to the tribe's den.

The tribe's den. This is where the melee would occur for all to bear witness. Rather than Kouga versus the world, it would be Kouga versus Kisho. She did not know which was more bothersome to her.

Firelight illuminated the den area and she saw a number of figures milling about. In all likelihood, they were awaiting the return of Mamorou and his followers. The flickering flames abetted her somewhat but, bereft of superior youkai vision, she was unable to discern their features past identifying that the majority were women and children.

Peering at Kouga, she was going to launch her opposition to the upcoming altercation when he dragged her nearer. For her ears only, he murmured, "I have to do this."

Not as subtle, she said loud enough for the neighboring youkai to hear, "He's your kyodai! You can't!"

A tick formed on Kouga's otherwise set face and she realized she had made a grave error. Lowering her voice, she barreled on anyway, "You're already injured and he's family. Please, don't do this. I'm begging you."

"He's my enemy," was the curt rejoinder.

"He's your kyodai," she repeated, convinced that was argument aplenty. How could he cast his kyodai in the role of enemy?

Kouga countered, "Does that stop Inukkoro and Sesshoumaru from being enemies?"

The debate was broken by a female youkai. "You disgrace him with your ignorance of our customs, ningen. The wolf tribe thrives on 'survival of the fittest'. He would be shamed to refuse Kisho's challenge." She gave a disdainful glare. "He is shamed by your lack of faith in his triumph."

"W-w-who are you?" Kagome stuttered at the interference.

"Hisa, mate to Mamorou."

Mate to Mamorou. That meant she was Kouga's... oh, oh, oh.

Recalling her manners, Kagome bowed. "It's an honor to meet you, Hisa-sama."

"Okaasan," Kouga visibly brightened. "I've missed you."

"As I you," she acknowledged and the aloofness dissipated. They embraced.

"Forgive my companion, okaasan. Her journey here was spontaneous and she didn't have time to learn the wolf tribe's ways. Offense wasn't intended. She's concerned for my welfare. It's to be expected of my future ma-"

"A Shikon shard," Kagome abruptly informed. "It's coming from the east."

East. Where InuYasha's Forest lay. Where they had worked so hard to flee.

Inhaling sharply, Kouga detected a myriad of known scents and growled, "My pack."

"How did they discover us?"

"I guess Ginta and Hakkaku are smarter than I gave them credit for."

Terrific. Now, instead of one wolf tribe plotting to kill them... they had to contend with two.

InuYasha, where are you?

TO BE CONTINUED

Terms To Know
Ahou: Moron.
Chichi-ue: More polite and archaic form of otousan or father. Usually used to refer to your own parent.
Disperser: The actual term used to describe a wolf that leaves a pack to find a mate and start its own pack.
Hai: Yes.
Iie: No.
Inukkoro: Dog-turd.
Kami: God.
-kun: The same as -san but less formal. Used to address people, almost always boys, at one's own level.
Kuso: Shit.
Kyodai: Brother.
Ningen: Human.
Obocchan: Son (somebody else's).
Okaasan: Mother.
Otousan: Father.
-sama: Denotes respect to a person of a higher social class, such as royalty.
Shikon no Tama: Jewel of Four Souls. It is a powerful, sacred jewel that contains the souls of an ancient warrior, Midoriko, and many demons. To possess even a fragment of the jewel will dramatically increase its owner's strength.
-tousan: Father.
Yaros: Bastards.
Youkai: Demon.