InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Without a Lullaby ❯ Neverending ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 
A/n: I hope you guys are still in to my story... as always, please R&R and tell me you guys are still there and interested!!
 
Love bunches,
 
Luna-
 
Chapter XVIII: Neverending
 
 
 
Sesshomaru stared down at Kagome's pack somewhat blankly... he didn't understand what it was for, and she had given up trying to explain the purpose of the monstrous yellow thing to him.
 
I need it, though.”
 
Sesshomaru just turned and gave her that same bored stare he had given the pack when she produced it, showing a high disinterest in it and a disagreement on the fact of whether it was really needed. But Kagome stood firm... it was almost like the thing was a symbol of the hardships and trials she had had on her journey beforehand. There was no giving it up and in her mind, that was final...
 
But Sesshomaru just turned his back and headed out the bedroom door as Jaken rushed behind him, and Rin peeked around the door to wait for her Nee-san...
 
Kagome stared dismally down at the thing... for she knew, she was going to end up leaving it behind.
 
Parting with the thing was one of the hardest things she ever had to do... besides, well, Inuyasha's death...
 
She shivered at the idea, and decided that perhaps it was in the best of interests to leave the thing behind after all...
 
So Kagome just turned to the door, and made her way slowly there. Footstep after footstep... she would make it...
 
She would continue on her quest, her duty... Nothing else mattered beyond that at this point. And that was what she had originally set out to do.
 
Finish what she had started.
 
Looking down at Rin's bright eyes, which stared in anticipation toward her, she held her breath for a moment or two in the pure admiration that was shone there. She hadn't realized, but the girl and her had formed such a strong bond, that Rin would follow her to the ends of the earth... just as she would for her beloved Sesshomaru-sama.
 
Feeling herself smile in the slightest, she offered a hand to the younger girl and said softly, “Shall we go, then, Rin-chan?”
 
Beaming, the girl nodded enthusiastically, grabbing Kagome's hand and rushing off after Jaken and Sesshomaru.
Sesshomaru-sama will leave us behind if we don't hurry up!”
 
Kagome felt her smile increase just a fraction more, and she caught herself absently thinking, Somehow... I really doubt that....
 
And just as she thought, Sesshomaru stood before them, his body partially turned with an irritated air that said he wished they'd hurry themselves up.
 
Sesshomaru-sama, where are we going this time?” Rin piped happily up toward him as he lead them down the stairs and through the double doors of the castle. It had been so long since Rin had accompanied him someplace, and she was happiest of all when they traveled together.
 
But just a she had expected, her lord did not bother to answer her as he strode through the courtyard. Rin let go of Kagome's hand suddenly, running towards Ah-Uh to glomp the dragon as a way to inform him of their departure.
 
Sighing softly, Kagome watched closely as Sesshomaru walked. One foot barely touched the earth before the other proceeded before it. It was as if he barely walked at all... flying or gliding could not even describe the grace and efficiency behind his movement. Not one action was a waste, not one flick of the wrist, touch of the hand.
 
He was stillness in its perfection, and fleeting moments of disregarded motions were rare and few between.
 
What was the right word?
 
Smiling somewhat, Kagome snapped her fingers as he thought came to her.
 
He floated.
 
That took so much more effort, so much more skill. Anyone could move forward, but to be able to maintain one position for a long time took practice and etiquette.
 
A small sweat drop formed at the back of her head, as she scratched the side of her face...
 
Perhaps I'm thinking too hard on this...
 
Miko, what are you doing?”
 
Kagome's head shot up as she flushed hotly, seeing she was lagging far behind.
 
Gomen nasai! I'm coming!” Kagome hiked up her kimono somewhat so she could race after him, finding it extremely difficult considering the restrain of the clothing. She had to admit, though the design was strewn with simplicity, it exuded beauty that astounded her. And it was so untraditional, it was nothing like she had ever seen.
 
The kimono itself was white, and the stitching was gold. The design was a pebble being dropped into water, that created ripples that contrasted with ripples from water lilies. The lilies were a pale pink and the leaves were a deep forest green...
 
They were small, but they were very delicate and clean.
 
She was happy with it.
 
But for traveling, she much preferred her fuku...
Shuddering ago, she forced herself to think of something different, for the situation in which her fuku was sacrificed was not one she wanted to think of right now...
 
Or ever, for that matter...
 
Kagome found herself stumbling over the wretched thing through her thoughts, and before she face planted into the ground she was in Sesshomaru's arms.
 
You are not very graceful.”
 
Kagome fumed a bit, scrambling out of his arms in embarrassment. His face was impassive, but she saw in his eyes that he was somewhat confused.
 
...she knew that they had been... well, intimate...
 
But... she was still not ready to admit it...
 
She glanced down at Rin and Jaken, who were both somewhat open-mouthed and speechless.
 
Kagome felt the apples of her cheeks becoming hot again as she brushed past Sesshomaru and his wards, walking forward without much difficulty. But to her annoyance, Sesshomaru still pressed to ask, “Can you walk fine, Miko?”
 
Kagome felt herself becoming increasingly frustrated, but she didn't know why. She didn't know how to deal with him. She almost felt as if he were hounding her.
 
Just... like Inuyasha...
 
Kagome stopped walking for a moment, considering, thinking...
 
They are brothers, after all, Kagome... There will be similarities... but you know, no matter what, Sesshomaru will neverbe Inuyasha.
 
Nodding softly, as if accepting this fact, she turned around to tell Sesshomaru softly, “I am fine, thank you. Shall we go now?”
 
She felt him watching her with considering eyes, scrutinizing her, as if trying to read her mind.
 
And though she knew he could see into her eyes, she would never let him that close to her heart.
 
She was just too scared.
 
We go then.”
 
Sesshomaru continued along side her, then past her, as she watched him go along with regarding orbs.
 
How is it, Sesshomaru, that you love me and I am denying it.... and it is not the other way around?
 
She felt Rin take her hand again, as Jaken and Ah-Uh continued past her as well. The tugging on her palm pulled her out of her reverie, and she blinked softly down at the young girl.
 
Kagome Nee-san... everything will be okay! Sesshomaru-sama is always here.”
 
Kagome looked at Rin in the eyes, know the girl spoke from her heart. Rin believed in every word she spoke, and they could be nothing other than the truth...
 
Kagome wished she had that sort of resolution.
 
You're very kind Rin. And very smart, too.” Rin just smiled, and tugged Kagome along to catch up with the others.
 
Kagome sighed, and could do nothing but follow.
 
Inuyasha is dead ... that will never end...
 
I know that, too... Very well...
 
But...
 
Kagome lifted her eyes toward the sky... the endless sky that stretched out toward the horizon, and always brought on a new day, a new time... a new place.
 
I know... that time cannot change that... but I know my feelings for Inuyasha will never change as well.
 
Kagome turned her eyes toward Sesshomaru, who was once again carefully regarding her with those eyes that were masked to everyone else but her.
 
Those eyes showed his emotions as bright as daylight to her, and inside she knew how he was feeling.
 
He was concerned.
 
And she felt her heart clench, because Inuyasha used to look at her with those same eyes.
 
But these eyes were different. That face was different.
 
Those arms were different.... that heart, and soul, were different as well...
 
But she knew they had something in common with Inuyasha's.
 
...somehow, she knew, she'd always belong there, no matter how awkward, no matter how obscure.
 
And she wasn't sure in her own heart if she was ready to accept what she knew was coming true.