InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Yeah, He is ❯ Close Calls ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu Yasha.

Chapter 2: Close Calls

About halfway to the school, Inu Yasha realized that he had forgotten his hat and sunglasses back at the shrine. He hesitated a moment, and tried to decide which would upset Kagome the most. He turned back around, deciding that she would rather have to wait for him than have him ignore everything she had ever told him about going out in public.

Kagome stepped out into the main yard once the bell rang. She was surprised when she did not see Inu Yasha waiting for her at the gate. She headed for the exit thinking that he might be around the corner when someone tapped her shoulder. She expected to turnaround, and see Inu Yasha just trying to surprise her, but instead she came nose to nose with Hojo. Being the perceptive person that he is, he took Kagome's smile as being for him.

"Higurashi!" He smiled brightly at her. Her eyes kept darting all over the schoolyard. If Inu Yasha saw any guy look at her he would go off, and Hojo was actually touching and talking to her. The back of her mind screamed that this boy had a death wish. "Kendo practice was cancelled today, and I was wondering you had time for a float?" Kagome shifted nervously, she was torn between being mad with Inu Yasha for his lateness that forced her into this situation and thanking whatever god prevented him from being able to see this.

"Um, actually, I have some work to do at the shrine grounds today." Something about him always made her nervous and she could never give him a straight answer. "You know tourist season is just around the corner." He gave her a slightly disbelieving look, then waved her off.

"Some other time then." He smiled again, then headed back towards the inside of the school. Once he was out of her sight, Kagome turned around to see Inu Yasha leaning cooly against the outer wall of the yard. He was wearing that red shirt with the jeans again. Something told her that he actually liked that outfit. She didn't mind though, the shirt accented his slim muscled figure and that always made her heart flutter. She ran up and threw her arms around his waist. She caught him off guard and he stumbled back a bit. He lifted his sunglasses to look at her.

"I think I'll be late a little more often." He laughed out.

"Do it, and I'll say the word until your back goes out." She snuggled her face into his chest as she said it. His eyes widened at her response.

"Okay, next time, I'll just forget about the hat and glasses." He picked her up and carried her home. She was on the verge of tears the whole time. Once they reached the shrine steps she finally spoke.

"Am I a bad person?" Inu Yasha had no clue on how to answer this one. So, he said the first thing that popped into his head.

"What the hell would make you think that?" He set her down and put his hands on her shoulders. "You are the nicest person I've ever met!" She hung her head.

"Yeah, but considering the only other people you've met have wanted to kill you at some point in time. That doesn't make me a nice person over all." Inu Yasha began to growl.

"What happened to make you like this?" Kagome sniffed back a few more tears.

"Nothing, it's just this guy, he's been trying to go out with me. Even before I met you, and well, something about him really gets to me, and I can't bring myself to tell him what's going on. I've already stood him up a few times, and I feel really bad about it." Inu Yasha slitted his eyes.

"It was that Hoho character wasn't it? Why don't you just let me meet him?" He cracked his knuckles. "I'm sure I can clear things up for him." Kagome looked into his eyes.

"Inu Yasha, no. He's just a stupid clueless human boy that ...that.." She started sobbing. "I'm leading on!" She threw herself into his chest and he wrapped his arms around her.

"Your wrong," he whispered, "he's a stupid human that has caused you to cry and doubt yourself. No one should feel sorry for someone like that!" Kagome looked back up at him.

"When you put it that way, he sounds an awful lot like Naraku." He smiled down at her, and wiped away a stray tear.

"Yeah, but he's gone now, and we have nothing that bad to worry about." He put a finger under her chin and lifted her head. "Now if you're done being silly, let's go get some lunch."

***

"Aren't you going to eat?" Kagome asked Inu Yasha over her bowl of miso soup. He just shook his head.

"Nope, I ate just before I came to get you. I think I'll just watch you do it for right now." He continued to stare at her as she brought the spoon to her mouth. Just as it was about to reach her lips, she let out a frustrated sigh, and dropped the spoon back into the bowl.

"As sweet as you're attempting to be, it just really bothers me." He just smiled, set his head into his heads, and sharpened his gaze on her. She pushed the bowl away from herself.

"Are you happy now?" Her tone held mock anger "I'm not hungry anymore." He pushed the bowl back towards her.

"Eat." She turned her head to the side and refused to look at him. The next thing she felt was a tap on her shoulder. She turned her head, and was about to utter a response, but the minute her mouth opened, a spoonful of soup entered her lips. She swallowed, and the offending object was removed. Inu Yasha just stared back at her with a smirk across his face, and his head cocked to one side. He refilled the spoon and brought it back up to her lips she rolled her eyes, opened her mouth, and let him put in the next spoon ful. This act continued for about five minutes, and Kagome was beginning to enjoy the attention when they were interrupted.

"Ahh, young love." Kagome's mother stood in the entranceway to the dinning area. Kagome blushed furiously, and Inu Yasha looked slightly annoyed at having to stop what he was doing. "Any how, Grandpa and I will be out for a few hours. I'm dropping him off at Sota's school for a meeting, then they'll be walking home since I'll be on a lunch date." Mrs. Higurashi smiled wistfully. The blush that Kagome was sporting diminished a bit as she noticed the look on her mother's face.

"Mom, you've been seeing this guy for five months." Inu Yasha's confused gaze shifted between the two women. "When are we going to meet him?" Kagome showed a genuine interest in her mother's relationship.

"Actually, we've been talking about it for a while, and well, the fair is in town this weekend." She paused for a moment. "And he has the evening off, so he asked if I would bring all of you along to meet him." She smiled brightly at everyone in the room. Inu Yasha just looked frustrated.

"What are you talking about?" He continued to look between the mother and daughter. "I haven't smelt any men on you." Kagome rolled her eyes at the statement.

"Inu Yasha, do you remember all of the times she would come home and you'd go into sneezing fits?" He nodded dumbly. "It was his cologne. Men in this time often use it to cover their scent." He mouthed a silent 'oh' and Kagome's mom took in the conversation.

"Oh, that reminds me, I'll ask him not to wear that." She waved as she headed out to leave. "We'll talk more later." With that, the only sound heard was the car cranking and driving off. Kagome grabbed her bowl and headed back into the kitchen. She came back and took up her previous position.

"So, Inu Yasha, the two of us are alone for the afternoon. Is there anything you would like to do before I get started on my homework?" An evil smirk crept across his features.

"There is something I've been wanting to do with you for quite awhile, considering the last time we tried it, we were interrupted." Kagome shifted nervously in her seat as he stalked closer to her from across the table. Once he was in her face, he let one of his claws stroke the area from her neck line to her jaw line. She shivered as his hot breath brushed her lips. Then, he stopped his stroking, and used the newly freed finger to tap her on the nose. "Tag, you're it!" He ginned hugely, and took off to another portion of the house. Kagome shook off her daze, and took off after him.

"I'm so going to get you for this one!"

***

About two hours later, the two were side by side on the ground in the feudal era.

"You know you cheated by extending the playing field between times." Kagome huffed now that her breathing was almost back to normal. Inu Yasha just shrugged and continued to look at the sky through the tree tops.

"Feh." He wrapped an arm around Kagome and pointed to where he was looking. "What do you see there?" Kagome stared for a minute, all she saw were clouds.

"I don't know, flowers, maybe?" She felt Inu Yasha sigh. "Why? What do you see?" He was silent for a minute, then seemed to choose his words carefully.

"It's funny. I wasn't even looking at the clouds. What I saw was a future. It's might sound a little bit funny, but I sometimes see more of a future here than in your own time." Kagome looked again, and it seemed like she understood.

"I know what you mean." Both of them were silent before she asked a question. "Once we are truly 'together,' how long will we have to be that way?" Inu Yasha smiled, this was one question he knew the answer to.

"Well, I asked Myoga that once, and he told me that once a mixed pair has pups, a special bond is formed. In the case of the mother being human, it causes her to live as long as her family." His voice grew a little quieter. "Or at least until someone decides to end it." Kagome rolled over and hugged him. She knew the subject of his mother was a sensitive one, and never pushed it.

"It's going to be okay." She whispered into his chest. He brought his arms around her and the held each other.

After an interminable amount of time a gust of wind, and a familiar voice entered their range of sound.

"Kagome!" Shippou shouted as he jumped down from Kagura's feather. "You should see the new trick I learned!" With that, he split into six other copies of himself. Kagome nodded a welcome to Kagura as an annoyed Inu Yasha watched the excited Kitsune.

"What's so different about that?" He was definitely bothered by the fact that they could never seem to just be left in peace.

"Hold on a minute." Said Shippou, and a look of concentration came across his face. After what seemed like a minute of straining, all of the copies popped, leaving a cloud of dust. Once it had cleared, in each of the copies places stood a different figure. There was Sango, Miroku, Kaede, Kouga, Sota, Kagome, and Inu Yasha on his human night. The real Kagome clapped, and Inu Yasha looked impressed.

"And starting tomorrow, we will learn how to make them move." Kagura smiled at her student, then turned to Inu Yasha and Kagome. "I'm sorry if we interrupted. We were on our way back from an errand. The lord I was working for had a young daughter in need of a playmate, and Shippou volunteered to keep her entertained until I could retrieve the child hired for the job. Any how, he smelt you, and since it was not a time you usually visit, we worried that something might be wrong."

"It's alright," Kagome assured them, "we were about to head back anyway. A game of tag just got a little intense. That's all." Kagura gave an unbelieving nod, then called to Shippou.

"Come Shippou, we must return to Kaede. I'm sure she could do with our help since the others are out of the area at the moment." She called the feather again and Shippou joined her after giving Kagome a tight hug.

"Don't stay gone so long. I want to see some more of your time." She smiled and waved as they took off.

"Speaking of time, we should be heading back. I still have homework to do and Grandpa should be on his way back with Sota." Inu Yasha only nodded, picked her up bridal style, and headed back for the well.