InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ YinYang ❯ Onsen ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Not much fixed, but what the heck. Enjoy!
 
Reminder: I do own Inuyasha. Three of them in fact. Human, demon, and hanyou. Along with Kagome and Sesshoumaru. (They really do make very cute little action figures, don't they?)
 
Remember: Any questions, comments, etc., please feel free to e-mail or review. Love ya much. Bye.
 
Chapter Seven: Onsen
 
The two girls walked side-by-side in silence, each carrying a towel and small washcloth from Kagome's bath supplies. The hot spring was only a hundred yards from the group's chosen campsite, and therefore was in easy sprinting distance for certain dog-eared protectors.
 
The steam rising from the nearby pool of water, especially at night, brought to mind fairytales and folk legends of celestial beings, who would pose as human bathers at times. And, of course, there would always be some kind of peeping tom around, just waiting for the chance to snag the being's mystical robe, possession, or favorite pet monkey that allowed them to transform back.
 
Fortunately for these two teenagers, there were no such monkeys around and the only peeping tom was Miroku, and both knew that Sango, if not Inuyasha as well, would keep the pervert in line.
 
“Wow. It's so pretty here, Kagome-chan. How did you find this spot?” Iza was so eager to test the waters, so to speak, that as soon as the bank of the spring came into view, she had already discarded her clothing, wrapped herself in a towel, and was now preparing to step into the almost scalding water.
 
Deciding to take her time, Kagome carefully set down her `Bag o'Tricks', as Sango liked to call it, and began setting up the shampoo and soaps she always carted around with her in this time. She had set everything up and was just removing her uniform, before she answered Iza's question. “This is actually one of the first hot springs that Inuyasha and I found when we started our journey. It was before we met Sango-chan, and Miroku-sama.
Shippou-chan wasn`t even with us yet.” She glanced over at Iza, who had just submerged herself under the surface. She waited for the girl to resurface before throwing the washcloth at her head, hoping it would hit her in the face. Unfortunately, Iza's reflexes were good and she merely caught the cloth.
 
Flicking her ears to get the water out, Iza grinned at Kagome and beckoned for the miko to join her in the spring, “Come on in, the water's fine.” She splashed a small wave at Kagome to demonstrate her point.
 
“Okay, I'm coming.” Only after she had slid into the pool and found a comfy spot against a rock, did Kagome continue her story. “Well, we had just defeated this possessed Noh mask in my time and Inuyasha was still ticked at me because I had `sat' him at least twenty times in a row just a couple of days before and still hadn`t apologized `properly`.” Here she made the quotation marks with her fingers, which prompted some giggling from her companion. “He had been trying to destroy the well, which is my only way home, so naturally I subdued him.” Kagome sighed and shrugged her shoulders at the memory. “He did have a right to be mad, I suppose. Actually, I'm kinda surprised he came to save me at all.” She shook her head to clear certain thoughts. “Anyway, we were headed down this same road, hoping to come across any rumors or some kind of clue about the shards. I was riding my bike and let me tell you, several long hours on that thing crossing rough countryside is nowhere near comfortable. My legs ache just thinking about it,” she shuddered dramatically, while Iza just laughed. “So, we finally stop for the night and I can barely walk, I'm so tired and sore. Then he just sweeps me off my feet, carries me to this hot spring, sets me down, and says `Don't take forever, wench'. Then he turns and heads back to camp. It was the first really unselfish and kind thing he'd done for me since we'd met. Afterwards, he acted like he hadn't done anything at all, but ever since then we've stopped at almost every hot spring that we've come across.” Finished with her story, Kagome dunked herself underwater so she could wash her hair.
 
When she emerged, Iza was gazing down at her reflection with a variety of emotions in her eyes. First to stand out was that tender, love-struck look that usually appears when confronted with something so sweet and fluffy it could rot dentures. Next to that, Kagome noticed a small glint of envy. `That seems kinda normal, but I wonder exactly what she's envious of?' The last emotion was almost too confusing for words.
 
`Now why would Iza-chan feel guilt?' Kagome was puzzled, to say the least, so she decided that, since blunt and direct had worked before, she was going to employ it again.
 
“Iza-chan?” Iza's head snapped up so fast, Kagome was worried she might have gotten whiplash. “Iza-chan, is something wrong?”
 
The hanyou girl was quick to wave off her concern, “I'm fine, Kagome-chan. I was just thinking that Inuyasha is very lucky to have you around.” She winked at the slightly bemused miko. “I do believe you've softened him up quite nicely.” At the incredulous look on Kagome's face, she barked out a short laugh that sounded almost exactly like her brother and entirely too forced.
 
“Iza-chan.” Iza's laughter jerked to a halt at Kagome's tone of voice. It plainly said `I know you're hiding something, so you had better spill before something explodes'. Yeah, it said all that in just two words, her name. Iza slowly maneuvered her eyes to meet Kagome's somewhat hard stare.
 
Cringing, she thought sullenly, `Yup, something will definitely be hurting later.'
 
Kagome folded her arms over her chest. `Either she tells me what that look was for or I`ll…I`ll…I don't know what I`ll do, but it'll be interesting.'
 
Iza sighed heavily, her shoulders sagging as if under a huge weight. “I guess I can't hide much from you, can I, Kagome-chan?” At the girl's headshake, Iza continued, “Remember how when I first showed up, I mentioned that my father had taken me away?” Nod. “And I told you that I wanted to tell Inuyasha first before anyone else?” Nod. “Well, I spoke with him today and told him everything from start to finish. Afterwards, he asked me not to say anything to you because he wanted to protect you from what could happen.” Kagome's wide brown eyes suddenly narrowed at the thought of being left out of something important, especially something important to her hanyou.
 
Iza chuckled softly when Kagome started muttering about certain dog-boys and the `sitting of his life'. This girl certainly didn't want to be protected by being kept ignorant, that was for sure. Iza's respect for the young miko grew, even though there was almost nowhere to store it anymore. “Kagome-chan.” When the girl finally looked up, Iza flashed her a dazzling smile, fangs and all. “Don't worry. I completely agree with you. Inuyasha actually tried to forbid me from saying anything to you, but look how well that turned out.”
 
Kagome couldn't help laughing. The image of Dog-Boy pleading with a stubborn Iza to `please don't tell Kagome' floated across her mind and did absolutely nothing to quell her giggle fit. “Ah, Iza-chan. What are we going to do with that numbskull brother of yours?”
 
This remark brought an unpredicted response from the hanyou girl. Iza's face darkened as she thought of what lay ahead for Inuyasha. `She's definitely not going to like this.'
 
“Iza-chan?”
 
Iza shook her stupor away. “Sorry. I need to finish telling you this before Inuyasha decides to come looking for us.”
 
Kagome just motioned for Iza to continue.
 
“Okay.” Iza took a deep breath to prepare herself. “You know how our father met our mother, then they had us?” Nod. “Well, the thing you don't know is that our father was still married to Sesshoumaru's mother when they met.”
 
Kagome gasped, “Well that explains some of the hostility between those two.”
 
Iza indicated her agreement, “Yes, it does answer a few questions. However, there were more dire circumstances involved. Leiko, Sesshoumaru's mother, was completely outraged that her husband should be 'dallying' with a human, no matter how high ranking that human was. So she sought out a powerful dark miko to place a curse on the couple.” She paused to let this information sink in. Iza knew of Kagome's past regarding curses and dark mikos, so if anyone could understand the horror of the situation, it would be her.
 
“Please continue.” Kagome face had hardened at the slight reminder at Tsubaki and what her curse had almost forced the girl to do.
 
Iza blinked. `She must be taking this harder than I thought.' “Are you sure, Kagome-chan? The rest does not get any better.”
 
Kagome shook her head to rid herself of the cobwebs from that memory. She managed a strained smile to show she was all right. `Yeah, just peachy keen, if something similar happened to Inuyasha`s mother.' Returning her attention to Iza, she said firmly, “No, I want to know what happened. Please, Iza-chan?”
 
Sighing, Iza surrendered. “Alright. Don't say I didn't warn you.” She shifted herself around to find a more comfortable rock seat, which was an oxymoron in its self, before forging onward. “Now, Leiko could have cursed Chichi-ue and Haha-ue in order to exact her revenge, and under those conditions, it would have been expected. However, she directed her malice towards their unborn child. Now, because Haha-ue gave birth to two children rather than just one, the curse became confused. The miko had specified only one child to be cursed, so the curse was forced to make a choice. Unfortunately, it chose Inuyasha, as he was the first of us born.” Here, Iza paused to re-dunk her head in the water. The warmth of the hot spring relaxed the inu-hanyou, so she could finish her tale.
 
Resurfacing, she noticed that Kagome had taken the opportunity to perch on top of a boulder. The night air, while pleasantly warm, also carried a slightly cold breeze. This chill allowed Kagome to focus on just hearing the story, rather than feeling any pity for the hanyou twins. `I know Inuyasha hates people feeling sorry for him. Iza-chan is probably the same.'
 
“Anyway, to make a long story short,” Iza continued, “Chichi-ue discovered Leiko's curse, and, figuring it was better to not announce the birth of twins and point out the error in the curse, Chichi-ue whisked me away from Haha-ue and Nii-chan. I was raised in a small castle on the outskirts of the Western Lands and educated in the art of counter-curses. Just before Chichi-ue died, I managed to find out about Inuyasha and Haha-ue. I remember throwing a HUGE fit about wanting to meet them, but not much else, save for Chichi-ue explaining some of the reasons behind the separation. Then, a couple of months later, he was dead, fatally wounded from battling Ryukotsusei. Haha-ue followed not three months later, leaving us alone. Inuyasha and I were six-years-old.”
 
Kagome glanced over to Iza. The girl was idly swiping her hand through the water, as though mesmerized by the patterns made by the ripples. She looked utterly depressed and about ready to cry, so Kagome didn't fight the urge to go embrace her. `Thank goodness we're both wearing towels. This could prove rather awkward otherwise.' Placing her arm around Iza's shoulders and laying her head against the other girl's, Kagome thought over all Iza had told her. `So much pain and suffering. And the curse isn't even complete yet. Speaking of which.' Kagome lifted her head and turned towards the girl.
 
“Iza-chan.” Iza looked up. “Will you tell me what the curse is supposed to do?”
 
Despite the flush caused by the heat of the water, Iza managed to pale by three shades. “Please excuse me,“ she muttered softly before she jerked from under Kagome's arm and quickly proceeded to climb out of the spring to slip into her clothes. Kagome was left, shocked still, in the hot spring. `What the heck?' Following Iza's example, Kagome clambered out and into her dry clothes, not even worrying about toweling off. Iza was already dressed and leaving the clearing
 
“Iza-chan, wait up.” Kagome ran up behind the hanyou female. “Where are you going? Did I say something wrong?”
 
Iza stopped, allowing the panting miko to catch her breath. Her back still to Kagome, Iza answered, “Forgive me, Kagome-chan. I-I don't know what came over me.” She ran a clawed hand over her face and into still-wet hair, before turning to the miko. “I got scared for a minute, I guess. I've been living with the knowledge of this curse and the responsibility of being the only one who may be able to find a counter-curse for so long,
that sharing that information is like losing a part of myself.”
 
Kagome stood from her bent over position to look Iza in the eyes. `I never noticed, but we're the same height. What a weird thing to notice right now.' Placing a hand on the girl`s shoulder, Kagome said, “Iza-chan, you needn't worry about losing any part of yourself. I am here, along with everyone else, to help you and Inuyasha. Besides,” she snapped her fingers decisively, “nine heads are better than one or even two.” She smiled encouragingly.
 
Iza was confused (again and for always). “Where do you get nine, Kagome-chan?”
 
Kagome ticked each off on a finger, “You, me, Inuyasha, Sango-chan, Miroku-sama, Shippou-chan, Kirara, Myouga-jii-chan, and Kaede-baa-chan. See, nine.” With that she displayed both hands, careful to keep one of her thumbs down at all times.
 
Iza backed away from the frighteningly cheerful miko. `Slowly, slowly. Okay, now, run!'
 
And she dashed off towards their campsite, leaving a bemused Kagome in her wake.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------