InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Valentine Nightmares ( Chapter 26 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XXVI - Valentine Nightmares

Welcome back everybody, and thanks for visiting. The reason this is up so soon is simple: I have no life; nothing else to do. It's also kinda sucky, but please just smile and pretend that it was a good one; not for me, but my tired fingers for writing this for over three hours. Thanks.

Disclaimer: I do not own any rights of Inuyasha. But if there's ever an auction, somebody please let me know. ;)

_________________



It was a chilly day, and three days before Valentine's Day. A mini festival would be held at Midorikon High School once each day for each grade out on the school's large campus. The sophomores would be having theirs on the actual day, while the seniors were before them, followed by the seniors. Almost everyone was excited for the games, entertainment and food that were to be expected; who wouldn't be psyched about it?

Well, the answer to that was Inuyasha Hamagichi.

Inuyasha hated Valentine's Day; it was the most disgusting day of the year in his view. It was all about that mushy-gushy, ooey-gooey, lovey-dovey, hanky-panky crap that you'd be hearing for the next twenty-four hours. All the "I love you's" and "go out with me's" and "kiss me's" and "shake me, don't break me's" made his head and his stomach hurt. Every one of these sick feelings made him cringe: Who would feel that much in one damn day, he wondered?

The answer to that is also Inuyasha Hamagichi, and the reason is Kagome Higurashi.

Now that Inuyasha had realized his real feelings of Kagome, he couldn't seem to get her out of his head. And what with this day coming up, it only got worse. He would look at one couple after another and think of the possibilities of him and her that way. At this point, he knew that it would be embarrassingly awkward. He wouldn't know whether to hold her hand first or compliment her next or kiss her cheek during their date or after, and if he actually had to blow in her ear to get her excited. Hell, he didn't know a damn thing about this kind of stuff! Not even back when he dated Kikyo (whom we have not heard from in a while, thank God) since she was the one who always initiated the first move. But Kagome was different. Unlike Kikyo, he was sure that if, and he stressed if, they would date she would never pressure him into anything he didn't feel comfortable with. And Inuyasha vise versa.

Despite all these confusing thoughts and the headaches that came with them, Inuyasha decided on one simple thing. He loved Kagome, he knew that now, and that when the appropriate time had come, he would know what to do when he would tell her himself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was the day before Valentine's Day, as well as the festival. Inuyasha walked with Kagome through the halls as they were on their way to their homerooms. Despite all of the chatter around them about the upcoming event, the two made no comment on it; in fact, they didn't even speak to one another. Each felt somewhat awkward for reasons they didn't feel like explaining to the other; as well as thankful that the other didn't ask on it.

When the two went their seperate ways, Kagome walked into her class only to find something on her desk that seemed to have caught the attention of everyone inside.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Inuyasha walked into his homeroom with the same scowl on his face as he immediately locked eyes with the teacher that of all his others he hated: his brother. He glared at him for a few more moments until he caught a small bouquet of roses on his desk with a note inside.

"Aww, you leaving a little something for the janitor?" Inuyasha joked. Sesshomaru ignored his comment as he placed them in an open pocket of his bag.

"It's for Kagura, smartaleck." he corrected. After a moment of thought, Sessomaru picked a single rose from the bouquet and handed it to Inuyasha.

"Wha..?" he said, holding the rose a far distance from his body. "What the hell is this!? I don't like you like that! Hell, I don't even like you!"

"I'm still your teacher, you know," Sesshomaru said, both threateningly and amusingly. "And it's not for you; it's for you to give to Miss Higurashi."

"Huh??????"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The bell had rung. Inuyasha walked down the halls, staring dumbly at the rose his brother had given him. How was he supposed to give this to Kagome without looking like an idiot?

Ideas came to mind. One possibility showed he could just hand it to her, and say "some other chick gave it to me, but I hate flowers, so you keep it."

He mentally smacked himself. She'd never talk to me again.

Another idea came to him. He could get down on one knee, handing her the rose and proclaim "I offer you this small token of my admiration of you; yet I feel it may wilt in presence of your beauty."

He mentally punched himself. I'd never talk to me again.

Yet another thing came to mind. So he wouldn't look like a dork, he could pay some sucker to hand the rose to her for him.

He mentally kicked himself. I'm no coward!

But he knew he was.

He continued to battle with himself (literally) until he heard a familiar voice call him from nearby.

"Inuyasha?"

Kagome! He snapped out of it as he looked around for her. "Kagome, where are you?"

"Behind this bush," he heard her reply. Inuyasha looked in front of him to find a large vase filled with a monstrous number of red and white roses. It shifted to the side to reveal a pretty girl holding it with a little difficulty.

"Hi," she said, looking a little exhausted. Inuyasha quickly hid the flower behind his back before she could see it. He looked at her, to the vase, back to Kagome, feeling a surge of jealousy spark inside him.

"What are you...?"

"Somebody left me a little gift on my desk in homeroom," she answered, sighing.

"You call that little?" He groaned. "Who was it?"

"Umm...Kouga." She admitted sheepishly.

Kouga! He should've known! Only that bastard would do something this extreme! Is he that desperate though. Apparently yes. But his growing hatred of him paled in comparison to the jealousy he was feeling. Not to mention it made him feel small considering he only had one rose to give her himself. Inuyasha sighed sadly to himself; Kagome had probably fallen for him now that she knows what lengths Kouga would go just to get her attention.

You could only imagine Inuyasha's relief when Kagome spoke again.

"My teacher wouldn't let me leave them in the classroom, so I guess I'll just give them to my mom and tell her Miroku and I got them for her." she giggled awkwardly. "Too bad they won't fit inside my locker."

Just then, both found Miroku walk past them holding a jumbo sized box of chocolates and pulling a whole cart of flowers, all with Sango's name on them. He looked over at them and grinned, waving, before carrying on. Inuyasha and Kagome only watched in amazement. Kagome hid her face behind her hand in embarrassment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


The night of the freshman and sophomores' mini festival was a loud one. Yet it paled in comparison to how loud and wild the juniors' and seniors' were. It wasn't formal, but some of the girls and guys dressed in kimonos and hakamas just for the sake of festival tradition. Loudspeakers were set up everywhere to keep the music upbeat and snack tables lined up all around full of drinks and appetizers. Contests and games were held within every half hour or so, resulting in almost no one staying completely still.

Kagome had come to the school that night, but didn't exactly stay at the party. She hung around for a while and watched the other kids as they enjoyed themselves, and also kept watch of any Kougas that tried to come her way. She wasn't having any fun, since there was no one for her to talk to, and more importantly, Inuyasha had chose not to come.

So Kagome left the campus and took a walk down to the nearby lake, sitting down on the pier. Her hair was done in a loose braid, falling to the small of her back. She wore a purple sleeveless kimono with pink clouds that her mother had sewn for her, which matched her Shikon necklace around her neck. She kicked her feat dreamily above the surface of the glassy water, staring up at the full moon as its gentle light bled over her. It was a clear night, and the many stars twinkled and shined in the bluish black void.

For the first time since she met Inuyasha, Kagome felt lonely. And empty. Who was she kidding? Of course Inuyasha wouldn't want to come; it was a day that he hated above any other. She felt so stupid for getting her hopes up. Like he was just gonna show up, sure. No matter what she did, how she felt or how much time passed, her love for Inuyasha would never bear fruit. The more she hoped, the more broken-hearted she became. It was crushing her inside, wondering if he cared about her or not. She had to know. Whether he liked her or not, she could live with whatever he chose. Kagome just wanted to get this pressure off of her chest so she could go through life without questions endlessly running through her mind.

Kagome lifted her hand to grasp the lavender jewel absentmindedly as she gazed at the moon. She almost didn't catch the sound of someone clearing their throat. Kagome turned around, feeling her pulse race faster at what she saw.

It was Inuyasha, wearing a white hakama with red pants with stripes. His hands were in his pockets as he smirked at her.

"Yo," he said, snapping Kagome out of her initial shock.

"I-Inuyasha," she said, trying not to sound so relieved at his presence. "I thought you weren't gonna come."

"I wasn't, but I wanted to keep an eye on that perv Kouga in case he wanted to take a third swing." he admitted, walking over to sit down next to her on the pier. Kagome felt warmth blossom inside her heart at that comment. He was worried about her.

"Are you okay," he asked. "Why aren't you at the party?"

"Why aren't you?" she eyed him.

"You know I hate people." he said. Kagome laughed.

"There we go, there's a smile," he said, touching her forehead with his finger. "And here I thought you were sad."

She got quiet, but not unhappy, as she stared back at the water, kicking her feet. "No, not sad, just a little..."

"Lonely?"

"Uh huh."

"It's okay, I understand."

She beamed at him. Her love for him just seemed to grow and grow without her knowing. He was the best friend she ever had, and hoped that he would be in her life forever more. Just then, she felt a chain reaction inside her that resulted in a dark blush and her palms shaking.

"Umm...Inuyasha..? There's something I...want to...tell...you."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Inuyasha really didn't want to go to the party, but he could only imagine what Kouga would do with Kagome without him there. When he told his dad, him and his older brother made Inuyasha change into InuTaishou's old hakama before he left; just so he could grab her attention better.

When he got to the school, he didn't see Kagome anywhere in the crowd. He had figured this; like him, she wasn't really comfortable with so many people surrounding her. So he took a look around until he finally found her at the pier of the lake near the school.

He had to hold his breath when he came upon her. He had never seen anything so beautiful in all his life, well, besides his first bowl of ramen. The moonlight rained down on her as if its light was only for her. It made the creamy skin on her arms glow gently and caused her pitch black hair to shine, bending off the light.

He didn't want to look stupid just standing there and staring at her, so he cleared his throat to get her attention. When she turned around to smile at him, his heart skipped a beat. It just wasn't fair that she could do these things to him so easily that ate at him inside. Then again, that was just a part of her that made her so special in his eyes.

"I thought you weren't gonna come." she said.

Inuyasha didn't want to admit that he was concerned, that he didn't want Kouga to be kissing at her feet all night, or that she would be having fun with another guy. Besides, he gets so sick and tired of having to deal with his brother's whining while doing his history homework. A boy can only take so much Fluffy, he thought.

She was sad, he could tell. But he thought that she would be, considering she decided to come out here all by herself. Then again, in a nice place like this, anyone would enjoy it a lot more with someone with them.

But then, when she started getting all fidgety, he got worried again. Was she alright? Was she getting sick again?

"Umm...Inuyasha..? There's something I...want to...tell...you."

He felt his heart quicken. What did she want to say to him? It must have been important considering she couldn't look him in the eye.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

She took a deep breath. This was it. It was the perfect time, and the perfect place. She would take advantage of this opportunity like all those lovers in those old romance movies she used to watch. Kagome would tell him her true feelings.

"Inuyasha...I...I..."

"HAMAGICHI!!!"

K agome was rudely interrupted when a brown-haired boy suddenly ran up to the two on the pier, holding an envelope in his hand. He took a breath before handing it to Inuyasha.

"This is for you, Hamagichi," he said, handing him the envelope. Inuyasha nodded, surprised, and took the letter, watching the boy run back to the party.

"What is it?" Kagome asked curiously. Inuyasha looked at the front. His eyes widened.

"It's my reply from Shijiyama; the soccer camp I signed up for! I wonder if..." he tore open the envelope and nervously read the letter. His face lit up as he read.

"This is awesome!" he exclaimed, standing up. "I've been accepted!"

"Really? That's great!" Kagome stood up with him, clapping her hands together.

"I know! This means that I can finally go to Shijiyama for the whole spring season!"

....................

A few moments of silence passed.

Inuyasha was so overjoyed, he failed to notice the tears that quickly collected in Kagome's eyes.

_____________

Oh my god, plot twist! Yay, I like plot twists. But didn't I tell you this chapter sucked? Anyway, thanks for reading, and please look forward to the next chapter.