InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Wishes Worth Waiting For ( Chapter 29 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XXVIII - Wishes Worth Wishing For

This is gonna be a little recap chappie of Inuyasha and Kagome's experiences with each other. It's like a giant PAUSE in the story, which will continue in the next chapter. Because of this, if you wanna continue, then go ahead and skip this chapter.

___________________

Kagome's POV

"Kagome, what's wrong?" the boy asked, trying to help wipe away her tears. She slowly raised a trembling hand and placed it upon the top of her chest, right below her neck. "The Shikon...my necklace...is..gone..." she hiccuped as she spoke, breaking into a fresh line of wails.

"When I got back to the locker room after PE, someone had gotten into my locker and took the Shikon. I looked everywhere; I couldn't find it..." She sniffled. "I just can't believe it's gone...not a day has gone by since I received it that I haven't worn it...it was so precious to Grandma...and now it's gone...."

Once again not realizing what he was doing, Inuyasha snaked his arms slowly around Kagome as he pulled her to him, resting his chin on the top of her head. His hand lightly stroked her shoulder while the other held her in his grasp. He steadied his breathing, humming, trying to soothe her. For some odd reason, he found the security of her so close to him calming.

Kagome wondered why Inuyasha did such a thing. She thought he would try to put on that tough-guy act like he did when they first met. However, she liked this better, having him hold her so closely, enjoying the pleasant warmth of his body against hers. Being so close to him; it gave her a sense of security, making her feel safe. Another tear slid down her cheek, but not one borne of sorrow. She became a bit happy at that moment, smiling a tad, her pain becoming slightly easier to bear. She had found someone to confide in; to comfort her. And she wouldn't trade that for anything else in the world.

- - - - -

Smirking evilly and playfully, he grabbed a paintcan and aimed directly at her. Kagome started to step back, cringing as he came upon her.

"I-Inuyasha! Think about what you're doing!" But it was too late. He had splashed her a little with the paint, covering her torso in white. She looked at herself with disbelief, before shaking her head, a basic 'Oh-no-you-didn't' gesture and picked her paintbrush up, holding it up like you'd hold up a sword.

"En garde!" she said.

Inuyasha chuckled before picking up his paintbrush to meet hers.

"Do your worst, girl!"

The two dueled with their brushes, covering each other's arms and faces with white paint. Kagome couldn't seem to compete with Inuyasha; he seemed skilled with a sword/brush in his hand. They fought in the same manner that any pirate or midieval pair would've fought, backing up and moving forward when gaining the advantage. Kagome accidentally dropped her brush and tried to run away from Inuyasha, who was chasing her with mischief in his eyes. Kagome was squealing with excitement and fake terror as Inuyasha was chuckling as he began to descend upon her. Finally catching up to her, he grabbed her from behind and spun her around in circles playfully. Kagome laughed as she managed to make Inuyasha let go of her by pulling on a long of his long silver hair. He yelped as he dropped her unceremoniouslly on the ground, allowing her to pounce upon him, pinning him down on the floor in victory. They were both panting from fatigue and excitement.

- - - - -

Kagome learned of Inuyasha's dream of going to soccer camp, which is the main reason why he needed to pass all of his classes; so his father would let him go. He never really liked listening to anyone; that is, if they didn't pose a certain threat towards him. Sometimes when he didn't bring something for lunch, he would just try taking some from someone else when they weren't looking. Kagome recalled her lunch being nearly destroyed, of which she rewarded Inuyasha the title of "Moocher." Of course, Inuyasha found this title annoying, while Kagome found it rather funny.

- - - - -

They followed each other; step by step in sync with the music. Inuyasha seemed to know a thing or two about this type of dancing, and Kagome followed him the best he could. She proved to be quite swift, and kept up with him in a steady pace. She was impressed and greatly admired Inuyasha's graceful movements, amazed at all of the things he could do that she sometimes never thought was possible.

It wasn't until deep into the song that both of them were mostly locked in each other's gazes. Kagome felt hopelessly lost in his polished amber eyes, fearing and yet hoping that she would never find way back to the real world. And yet...he was her world. He was her anything, and her everything. It was as if her very existence was in his hands now; her heart his to freely do with as he wished. But she didn't mind. She would've gladly given it to him; nothing in exchange. But she wished dearly that he would love her as much as she loved him. But part of her doubted that; she figured there would never be a time where she would affect his life just as much as his affected hers.

- - - - -

"Inuyasha, for as long as I've known him, is my whole world. He's the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing when I fall asleep. His company is so much more than I could ask for; just being near him brings me so much joy. His laugh, his voice, his eyes, his smile...it's like pure nonstalgia. My heart just feels so warm and safe whenever he's around. Sure, he's stubborn, rude and impatient sometimes. But he cares for so much more than he comes to show. He's passionate, determined, and confident about everything he stands for. I can also see that he'd never do anything to hurt me or make me upset, and that he'd protect me no matter what..."

Kagome could've gone on for so much longer, but she took that moment to take a deep breath. Her mother smiled brighter and brigher with each word that came from her daughter's mouth.

"Kagome..."

The girl looked up at her mother.

"You're in love with Inuyasha, aren't you?"

- - - - -

Tears continued to pour down Kagome's face in branches as they plummeted to the ground. She sobbed quietly, not bothering to declare her unhappiness to the world in one loud scream. Not going away so she couldn't humiliate herself or anyone else. Not running to find someone to comfort her and save her from drowning in sadness, no matter how far she had to go. But she wanted to. She really, desperately wanted to. But she held it back, for like always, she thought no one would hear her.

But boy could she have been more wrong at that moment?

"Hey. You okay?" asked someone.

Kagome lifted her tear-soaked chin to find herself gazing into the twin polished amber orbs of a boy.

- - - - - - - - - -

Inuyasha's POV

Inuyasha marveled at her. She could go through such hardships, and still come out smiling. Nothing could ever leave a scar on this girl. She was just too optimistic, oblivious, even, to even try to be distracted by all the bad things that happen in the world.

What was it with this girl that made him feel different? Nothing seemed right to him anymore since he met her. It all became so jumbled up, so confusing, that he wasn't sure how to deal with it. She was showing him such things so alien to him, but not as much as they were welcoming. He realized that he was never going to be able to fully understand this young girl, this Kagome Higurashi. The girl who always found her own "silver lining." He chuckled quietly. God, she was corny sometimes. But it was a type of strangeness that he had come to really like about her.

- - - - -

'She's always so cheerful and energetic; I'm always so surprised when I see her cry...But could Kikyo be right? Could all of her crying mean a sign of weakness...?'

'...Make...friends? Is that why Kagome is always working so hard? So she could make friends...? I thought she had so many, since she's always such a good person....Then again, besides me, her brother, Sango, and that Kouga idiot who keeps trying to make a move on her, I haven't seen anyone else even speaking to Kagome...'

'Is that why she cries? Is that why she works so hard? She's...lonely?'

- - - - -

Inuyasha walked her to the door, where they said their "see-you-laters." He watched her run down the driveway and onto the sidewalk, heading home. Blinking twice, he felt like he was drowning in mixed emotions as he watched her go. He almost wished that she didn't have to leave; that she could just stay with him and that they could talk more. He knew that was selfish, even for him.

What is this...? he thought, and he closed the door behind him as he went back inside.

- - - - -

Neither left the other for a long period of time. They continued to hold each other as Inuyasha cried. He turned all of his troubles and his confusion into sobs, and Kagome willingly listened as she nuzzled her cheek against his head. For the first time in so long, Inuyasha had found release. He had found a way to let out his anger, sadness, fear and happiness alike and not have to worry about being judged. Something that would hear and understand him unconditionally and lovingly. And that something, or someone, was Kagome.

And right at that moment, Inuyasha had realized that alien feeling that had been berating him practically since he met this girl. A feeling that he had never experienced before, that scared him out of his wits and unleashed an unfamiliar gush of warmth inside him. It was a feeling that he had been blind to by his stubborn pride.

He had realized it now...Inuyasha had fallen deeply in love with Kagome.






_____________________________________