InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Young at Heart ❯ Mischievous Escapades ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Six: Mischievous Escapades
 
 
Inutashomaru had made his way through the forest quickly, reaching his son in due time. Now as he glanced down at his sleeping boy, from the branch he sat perched in, he sighed. The moon was disappearing, and the sun was cresting over the horizon. `Finally.'
Looking away from Sesshoumaru, Inutashomaru stood up on his branch and stretched. When he looked down again, his son was gone. Startled and frowning, he jumped out of the tree, crouching next to his son's discarded fur, sniffing it quickly. Before he could react, he was knocked over, giving a loud oomph as he impacted with the earth. He had been pounced on by his own child. Face down beside the pelt, he chuckled. Turning his head to the side, he smiled.
“Good morning, Sesshoumaru.”
His son giggled. “Morning, father.”
Inutashomaru looked over his shoulder, his son was perfectly crouched on is back looking extremely proud of himself. Smiling broadly, he shifted his weight, knocking his son's surprised form off to the side with a thump. Jumping to his feet, Inutashomaru scooped his son up under his right arm, and held him there. “Now what are you going to do?”
Sesshoumaru struggled, wriggling like a fish in his father's clutches. Stopping, he smiled and lifted his fingers to his father's side, poking him between the breast plates he wore. Inutashomaru twitched. Smirking, he felt another finger prod his side, and he tried to maneuver away from the crafty and quite skilled fingers.
Grabbing his son's foot and holding him facing downward, he brought him to eye level. “That is playing dirty.” He smiled.
Sesshoumaru grinned and nodded. He was lifted even higher, and he frowned. “Father?”
Chuckling, Inutashomaru asked. “Yes?”
“Can you let me down now?” Sesshoumaru lifted his head slightly, all the blood was running to it and he felt dizzy. Something out of the corner of his caught his attention and he twisted.
Inutashomaru lifted his gaze, and knelt down, placing his finger to his lips when his son opened his mouth in question. “Shh.” He drew Sesshoumaru into his lap and they watched in silence as a doe and a small baby entered their small clearing. The deer lifted her head, regarding them briefly and hesitantly. She looked away, lowering her head to the grass which gave free reign to the baby, who pranced around in circles. Another small baby entered, and both reared up, and played as the two youkai watched in silence.
Sesshoumaru felt his mouth drop open in surprise, as he watched the animals in the clearing. Looking up slowly, he saw the grin on his father's face, and smiled himself. Looking back down at the three animals, he watched in silence.
The doe and her two fawns slowly walked through the bushes and disappeared.
“What were they?” Sesshoumaru asked curiously, once his father lowered his arm from around his shoulders.
“Those were deer. A doe and her fawns.” Inutashomaru stood up and looked down at his son smiling.
Sesshoumaru nodded, his eyes trailing after them. “How come they had spots?”
“The fawns? It is a defense for them. Should the mother have to leave suddenly, or lead danger away, they are well hidden in their habitat.”
“Oh. How come I don't have spots?”
Inutashomaru chuckled. Kneeling down beside his ever curious son, he lifted his face. “You are a youkai. An Inu-youkai. Your defenses will make themselves known eventually.”
Sesshoumaru frowned. “What kinds of defenses?”
Shaking his head, he smiled. “Eventually you will be able to change your form, much like I do.”
“Into a big dog?”
A nod.
“Will I have claws like you do?”
“Yes. Perhaps more as well. You are still young, Sesshoumaru, your full abilities will not show themselves for a few years yet.”
Sesshoumaru nodded, sighing audibly. Blinking, he turned away from his father, his eyes widening with a sudden thought. “Father?”
Inutashomaru looked over his shoulder. “What is it?”
“The pack is still at the cave.”
“I know.” Inutashomaru nodded. “We will retrieve it eventually.”
“Father?”
Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes. “Yes?”
“What if they have it now?”
“The men? I doubt that they would have entered the cave.”
“Oh. Father?”
Rolling his eyes, Inutashomaru chuckled. “Yes?”
“Are you going to leave me here to get the pack?”
Inutashomaru didn't answer right away. Thinking rapidly on the men from last night, he wondered how many more lingered in the forest. “I haven't decided yet.”
“Father?”
Inutashomaru growled low in his throat, low enough so his son couldn't hear it. “Yes, Sesshoumaru?”
“Why do you have blood on your hakama?”
Clearing his throat, he stood up and walked over to his son. Bending down he picked Sesshoumaru up by his underarms and held him at arms length. Staring into his son's eyes, he lifted a brow, daring him to ask more.
Sesshomaru smiled innocently. Biting his lip for a second, he then opened his mouth again. “Father?”
Inutashomaru couldn't believe it. Grunting, he narrowed his eyes. “What is this?”
“Father?” Sesshoumaru snickered pretending not to know.
His mouth dropped open. “Sesshoumaru?”
“Can you put me down now?”
“Will you cease your questions?”
Sesshoumaru paused for a moment, thinking. He nodded.
Placed back on his feet again, he smiled mischievously. “Father?”
Inutashomaru growled and pounced at his son who squeaked and spun around quickly running as fast as his little feet could carry him. He heard his father lunge at him and he turned directions quickly, causing his father to grunt in surprise as he connected with the earth rather then his son. Giggling, Sesshoumaru darted off again.
Inutashomaru got to his feet, and growled playfully in his throat. “You mischievous little pup.” He sprung at his son who had glanced over his shoulder, and Sesshoumaru yelped in surprise at the fast speed. Spinning around, and jumping into the air, Sesshoumaru landed behind his father with a soft thump.
Inutashomaru lifted himself on all fours and chuckled. Frowning, he sniffed the air. Standing up, he glanced over at his son who stood there seeing the frown mar his father's forehead. Turning his gaze back to the woods, he listened. He heard frantic pattering of feet racing through the brush, as though someone was running from something. Sniffing the air, he realized he had smelled this scent before, and quickly scanned his memory.
Holding back his gasp of surprise, he lifted his head higher. It was the little girl from the other day. Frowning deeper, he growled to his son to hide. Where the girl was those men wouldn't be far behind, he suspected. With the way she was running carelessly, it meant that the abductors were close.
Darting out of the clearing, Inutashomaru raced towards the sounds. Following the girls scent, he came across her quickly. She was crying, and she kept glancing behind her in fear. Lifting his head, he smelled the men and heard them shouting a distance away, but not far enough. Realizing the girl's flight was leading those men right for the tiny clearing he and his son were in, he breathed heavily through his nose. Cursing under his breath, he jumped onto the path as she ran up to his hiding spot and scooped the little girl up into his arms, causing her to scream in fear.
“Shush.” He growled. Jumping back into the woods, he raced quickly. The little girl bit her lip, and looked at her new captor and she shivered with renewed fright.
She gasped in fear, and closed her eyes tightly. Her mother said youkai ate little children, mostly little girls, because her mother had said they tasted yummy to the demons. Shivering, she opened her eyes into slits and looked up at him. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she realized that he was racing away from those mean men, taking her away to safety. Confused and frightened, she turned her head slightly, trying to see where they were going, but the trees were going by way too fast.
She lifted her hands and clutched desperately to the front of his hakama, and buried her face in it fearfully.
Inutashomaru looked down and groaned. `Now that he had her, what was he going to do with her?' He thought to himself. This gave those men at the cave cause to hunt him down, already thinking he was the one who had taken her. Taking a deep breath, he lifted his head again, racing through the trees towards the clearing. `Perhaps, when I return to the cave for the pack I can leave her there.' He smiled on that thought. `Why did I just save a human life?' He asked himself as he ran.
Shaking his head clear of all thoughts, he entered the clearing and slowed his running. Inutashomaru placed the girl onto her feet and stepped back. She wrapped her arms around her body and shuddered.
“Are you gonna eat me?” She whispered.
“Eat you?” Inutashomaru flinched. Lifting his head, he caught his son peeked out from behind the tree he was hiding behind, and Inutashomaru nodded.
The girl took the nod as an affirmative for being eaten and started to cry falling to her knees.
Inutashomaru frowned and looked down at the cowering girl, and he knelt down beside her.
“Please don't eat me.” She wailed.
“I'm not going to eat you.” Inutashomaru scoffed.
She looked up at him startled. “I want my mommy.”
He nodded. “I will take you back to your village.”
Sesshomaru walked up and looked back and forth between his father and the little girl who was shorter then him.
The little girl waved at the small youkai pup, which only caused Sesshoumaru to start surprised and quickly dash behind his father's legs. Inutashomaru glanced over his shoulder surprised and blinked for a moment, before it clicked what Sesshoumaru was doing. Snorting through his nose, he knelt down to the girls level and allowed his features to soften slightly.
“What's your name, child?”
“Nurie. What's yours?” She asked, a brilliant smile dashing across her face.
“Inutashomaru.” He stated simply.
“Inutataru?” Nurie frowned, trying to get the name out of her mouth.
“You can call me Inu, if that is easier. This is Sesshoumaru.” He waved over his shoulder to the small pup poking his head around his left arm.
At the mention of his name, Sesshoumaru vanished again and grunted.
Nurie waved again, but Sesshoumaru missed it, due to his hiding. “Is he shy?”
Inutashomaru shook his head and grinned. “Not shy, however unaccustomed to etiquette when meeting someone new.” The large Inuyoukai stood and sniffed the air for signs of pursuit and he growled low when their scent drifted over to him. “We must go.”
Nurie swallowed and nodded. “Where?”
Sesshoumaru darted out from behind his father's legs and wrinkled his nose. “That's the same smell as before, chichi.”
Nurie glanced at him curiously, and then both pups were left alone as Inutashomaru turned and walked towards the forest edge quickly. Sesshoumaru blinked once, and then blushed. Without another word, he bolted after his father. The small human girl followed behind them skipping along happily, as if nothing had gone wrong in the first place.