Jem Fan Fiction ❯ Musical: Rocket Star to the Moon ❯ Test Flight ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Authour's notes:
 
Remember, like I said before, I don't own Jem, or any of the songs used at all.
 
CHAPTER THREE
 
The next day, tests and experiments carried out. By day's end the really big test everyone had been looking forward too was about to commence. The test flight of a smaller version of the rocket that would be taking us to The Moon.
 
“There she is girls…” I said. “I give you the S.S Rocket-Star.
 
The girls and Rio stared in awe. It was a beautiful red rocket-ship with white-edgings and golden stars painted all over it. Jerrica really liked the name too, “Rocket-Star-- it's perfect.”
 
I smiled, and thanked her for the compliment as the name was my idea. “Of course… this is only a model for the test flight. The real one we'll be riding in is much bigger than this.”
 
“Yes it is…” said a voice. We all turned round, “Ah… good to see you, Steve.” I said.
 
“Girls, Rio… I'd like you all to meet Captain. Steve Zodiac. He'll be our chauffer driver when we head for The Moon.”
 
All five of the girls thought Steve was just minty. So handsome, and rugged. Even Jerrica felt her knees getting a little weak, much to Rio's dismay. “I'm… uh… sorry I'm late, I was held up.” Steve told us.
 
He was forgiven and now it was time to start the test flight. If all went well then it would prove that our own flight to The Moon would be perfectly safe. “I still don't understand how dangerous it can be.” Kimber said.
 
I explained to Kimber best as I could; The Rocket was powered by nuclear-motors. This way the engines would be able to fire and keep going and going and give us plenty of speed that we'd be able to leave Earth early in the morning, reach The Moon by lunch, and be back home in time for dinner.
 
Ordinary Rocket motors would take us days to reach The Moon. “But if something were to go wrong, even my a little slip up…”I warned the girls, “The Rocket could explode, be blown to a-million pieces, and released toxic chemicals over a large area.”
 
The girls gulped hard. “Wow…!” cried Rio.
 
The final countdown began. “Standby for blastoff.” said Steve. “Five. Four. Three. Two. One… Ignition!”
 
The thrusters fired, and the rocket began to take off. “There she goes…!” Shana said with glee. “It's so exciting.” added Aja.
 
“It sure is girls.” I smirked, everyone of us had that look in our eyes, we all decided one of my songs was in order. “Play me some Music, Man.” I called into my body, and the magic inside me began to play one of my songs…
 
(MYKAN ROCKMAN PLUS FIVE.)
 
“Rocket-Man” ROCKMAN RECORDS
 
 
-I packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I
'll miss the earth so much I'll miss my old life
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight
 
-And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh
, no, no, no, I'm a rocket man (Rocket-Man)
(Ooo-Ooo)
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone
 
-And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh
, no, no, no, I'm a rocket man (Rocket-Man)
(Ooo-Ooo)
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone
 
(Rocket-Man)
 
-Mars ain't the kind of place to send us kids
In fact it's cold and well

And there's no one there to raise
us if we did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket man, a rocket man
 
-And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh
, no, no, no, I'm a rocket man (Rocket-Man)
(Ooo-Ooo)
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone
 
And I think it's gonna be a long long time...
 
 
The song finished, and we were all brought back down to Earth. About a few hours later we could all see the Rocket had already made it's way to The Moon. “Holding steady on course for orbital.” Steve said.
 
Raya asked if the Rocket would be landing on The Moon, but Steve assured her there was no need. “All we need to worry about is the flight… just leave the landings to me.”
 
Suddenly, there was even more trouble. The rocket was veering off course, beyond Steve's control. “What's going on?” I asked.
 
“I-- I don't know…” said Steve. “There's a problem with the fuel conversion it says the tanks are empty.”
 
“Empty…?” asked Jerrica, “But that's impossible, Bill and Ben fueled it up before the test.”
 
The two twin technicians gazed at each other nervously. “I filled up the first half, and I thought Ben would do the other half.” said Bill.
 
Ben, however, though he was supposed to fill the first half. “When I saw it had been done, I just left it alone.”
 
We all palmed out faces in dismay. All this time the rocket was only half-fueled. “We've to get it away from The Moon.” I said, “Once it's out of orbit we can activate the auto-destruct. How much fuel is left?”
 
Steve calculated, “Just enough for one last firing.” He said, “If I don't hit this on the mark it could crash on the surface and release hazardous materials.”
 
Luckily Steve was an expert controller, as well a pilot. “FIRE…!” he shouted as he hit the rockets. The rocket itself zoomed out of orbit and headed off into Space. “Activate auto-destruct.” I called.
 
The technicians worked the controls and rocket exploded harmlessly in empty Space. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief, and then handshakes and comments were exchanged. “What's all this about…?” asked Kimber. “The rocket's gone…”
 
I assured Kimber that despite the fault, “The test was a success. Our flight will be perfectly safe as long as we remember to fuel up perfectly.”
 
The technician's agreed. The finals preparations of the real rocket, the one that would be taking us to The Moon, would be taken care of. The launch would take place in a few more days.
 
“To The Moon…!” Jerrica sighed under her breath. “I am so excited!”
 
“Not as excited as we all are together.” said Rio. “To be honest, I can't wait to get there.”
 
Just then, Steve got up and headed for the door. “Captain Zodiac…?” asked Rio. “Is something wrong…?”
 
Steve looked a little nervous about something. “Uh…? No, no… I'm just… going to get some fresh air. I'm a little shaken.” then he was gone. this struck me as odd. I knew Steve for a while, and he wasn't the kind to get nervous, not like that.
 
 
Steve did go outside, and away form the labs, but not really to get fresh air. “You are late…!” hissed a voice.
 
“I'm sorry…” Steve said, “There was a problem with the project.”
 
The man clenched his fist, “Never mind! You know what is to be done… and you know what I'll do if you fail!”
 
Steve gulped hard. “It will be done. Jem and Mykan will be gone.”