Jubei-Chan Fan Fiction ❯ Blow When You Need Me ❯ Blow If You Need Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Blow If You Need Me

By Naoko Asakura

Disclaimer: I don't own Jubei-chan, Koinosuke-san, or anyone else... Don't hate me, cause suing me will get you no where! *Crosses arms over chest* Wah ha ha ha!!! No use in hurting me with paperwork! I'm only 14!

Author's note: This is my very first Jubei-chan fan fiction, although I've been writing fanfictions since I was in 5th grade. I usually write in the Shaman King section, so whatever.

Here's a story about my favorite little wimp of a samurai!!! Yay!

.

.

***************************************************

.

.

"Blow this whistle if you need me... I'll fly right to you."

It had been a while since the lovely eye patch had left along with Koinosuke to the afterlife... three years passed since Jiyu Nanohana had gotten into any fights with incompetent assassins.

"Papa! Breakfast is ready!"

Jiyu smiled as she placed the eggs on the buttered toast, just like her father always ate it. She set her own eggs down on the table and plopped in the chair opposite of her father's. Sai Nanohana slowly ambled down the stairs to the kitchen and sat down in his own seat. "Did you stay up late again, Papa?" Jiyu asked the middle-aged writer. Sai looked up from his eggs and smiled at his only daughter.

"I just can't work out this chapter... I don't know whether I should have the samurai's evil twin live or die!" He exclaimed, taking a large bite out of the toast and eggs. Jiyu smiled and patted her father's hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry, you can sit on the porch and think it out." She said, making Sai smile back. Jiyu nibbled quietly on her own breakfast as the two sat in silence. Finally, her father spoke.

"Um... Jubei," He started, looking over at her plate with his eyebrow raised. Jiyu made a small questioning noise as she looked down at her plate. She gasped and flushed in embarrassment at the eggs on her toast. "What did'ja do that for?" He asked, pointing at the broken and unbroken yolks of the eggs.

"I..." Jiyu paused, clearing her throat nervously. "I guess I just felt like eating Jubei-yaki today, that's all..." She said, looking down at the offending breakfast. Sai smiled as he wolfed down the remainder of his breakfast. "Papa!" Jiyu exclaimed as her dad ruffled her braided hair fondly.

"You miss him, right? That weird samurai, I mean." He said, chuckling. Jiyu's face burned red in embarrassment and she hid it by eating her Jubei-yaki in one fell swoop. "I know these things... Well, better get lounging. I have a chapter to think out." He mumbled, shoving his hands in the pockets of his cardigan as he tramped back up the stairs. Jiyu looked at her empty plate and sighed heavily.

"I do miss him though..." She whispered sadly. Her eyes wandered over to the clock on the wall in front of her. "AH! I'm going to be late if I don't leave!!!" She cried out, standing up and grabbing her school bag. She ran out the door and threw the leather satchel in the basket of her pink bicycle, which had been altered to fit her now larger body.

She looked pretty much the same as she always had, except for slightly taller and slightly longer hair. She looked like the Jubei Yagyu side of her, except with a more naïve face and wide, innocent eyes.

Jiyu peddled away from her house with a call of, "Bye, Papa! See you after school!" over her shoulder. In the distance, she could hear her father give back a grunt of reply. This made her smile and peddle even faster.

"Jubei-chan!"

Jiyu grinned cheerfully as she met up with her long time friends, the Ruffians. "Hi Ban-chan! Hey you guys! Did you have a good weekend?" She asked the troupe of four. Bantaro smiled and flushed a slight pink color.

"Yeah! We went fishing down at that pine tree grove near the beach!" He said, the others nodding in agreement. "Oi, Hajime!" He called behind him. Shiro's brother smiled earnestly at the leader of the pack.

"Yes, Boss?" He said enthusiastically, giving Bantaro the salute of respect. Bantaro scoffed at Hajime's eagerness.

"Where's that brother of yours today? I haven't freaked out about him at all today!" He said thoughtfully, scratching his chin. Hajime stopped marching for a moment and looked at the sky.

"He's taking duel enrollment at the University of Tokyo in the mornings, remember? You haven't seen him since school began!" He concluded, catching up to the group and proudly marching once more. Bantaro nodded.

"I knew that! Hey, speaking of missing persons..." He said, turning to Jiyu. "Jubei-chan, where's that weird looking samurai dude that follows you around?" He asked the pigtailed girl. Ozaru, the shortest of the Ruffians slapped his forehead in exasperation. Jiyu bit her lip at the mention of Koinosuke and sighed morosely.

"Boss, he's been gone for two years and you still haven't noticed that he wasn't following Jubei-chan around?" Kozaru asked the Alpha-male of the group. Bantaro glared at him.

"How was I supposed to know he wasn't here?! I thought he was a magician or something when he disappeared on the cliff..." He said defensively. Hajime frowned as he saw Jiyu's depressed face.

"Jubei-chan, maybe he'll come back someday..." He said softly, walking beside her bicycle. Jiyu sighed again and nodded reluctantly.

"I'm... I'm going to go ahead." She said softly, looking up at the Ruffians with sad eyes. "I'll see you at school." She said, peddling down the hill quickly, towards the school. Bantaro watched her dissapear, a quizzical expression on his tan cheeks.

"Whats up with her?" He mumbled. After a while of strenuous thinking, he grinned and punched the air. "Ruffians!" He crowed happily.

"Chief!" Ozaru, Hajime, and Kozaru cheered back, giving Bantaro the salute.

"Let's move out!"

.

.

.

"Jiyu-dono..."

Jiyu smiled and sighed happily at the soft calling of her name. She felt the sun's rays wash over her body as she walked along with the tall samurai. "Koinosuke, I missed you..." She said, smiling shyly. Koinosuke blushed and looked up at the cherry blossom trees to divert his gaze away from the pigtailed girl. Jiyu laced her fingers in his and smiled up into the sun. "I'm so happy when you're around... My heart feels like it's going to explode!" She exclaimed, giggling musically.

"Jiyu-dono, I-"

.

.

.

"Naonohana Jiyu!!!"

Jiyu's eyes fluttered open, awaking from her daydream an she looked up at the teacher, who's hands were securely placed on his hips. "Naonohana, if you didn't get enough sleep last night, don't catch up on it here!" He lectured, narrowing his magnified eyes at Jiyu sternly. Jiyu sighed shakily and ran a hand through her chestnut hair.

"Yes, Ginta-sensei." She said softly, blinking the unshed tears from her eyes. The bell rang loudly in her ears, producing the scratch of chairs against linoleum and the chatter of enthusiastic eleventh graders. Jiyu remained in her seat, her eyes filling again.

"Jubei-chan, what's wrong?"

Jiyu looked up at Maro and Sachi, who were standing at her desk with worried expressions on their faces. Jiyu hiccupped softly and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. "Oh nothing, Maro-chan... Just got a little something in my eyes." She said, laughing in a fake tone. Maro frowned.

"Jubei-chan, you can always tell us wrong... c'mon, lets go to the awesome desert shop." She said, her brow creased in worry. Jiyu suddenly rose, making the other two Lovelies take a step back.

"No thanks, Maro-chan... I'll just go home now!" Jiyu said flashing a brief, teary-eyed smile in her friends' direction. She quickly grabbed up her satchel and walked hurriedly out the door. Maro started after her, but was stopped when Sachi put a hand on her shoulder.

"Maro-chan. Some things need to be figured out on their own." The blue haired girl said pointedly. Maro sighed heavily and nodded in defeat.

.

.

.

Jiyu placed the two plates of croquet on the table, smiling at her father as she sat down. "Jiyu," Sai started, taking a bite from his food. "You've been kind of down lately... you need to forget about that strange samurai. Its for your own good!" He said, his face stricken with worry. Jiyu looked up at him with melancholy eyes and sighed heavily.

"But... how can I forget?" She said quietly, pushing her food about her plate. Sai's eyes softened.

"Just finish dinner and go to sleep... that's the best advice I can give a depressed teenager." He said quietly, giving her a smile. Jiyu nodded and took small bites of her croquet.

.

.

.

Jiyu's eyes opened, only to meet more darkness. "I can't sleep like this." She mumbled to herself, swinging her legs over her bed and walking over to the ladder leading to the roof. "I'm just going to go think for a bit." She thought, making her way up the ladder wrung by wrung.

The refreshingly cold air hit Jiyu's face softly as she pulled herself onto the red-topped roof. She looked up at the sky, seeing that there were barely any to look at.

"One... Two... Three..."

She pulled something out of her pocket and sighed. It was the Koinosuke whistle she had received from the 300 year old samurai himself. "I wonder..." She whispered, looking back up at the sky. She rubbed the whistle absentmindedly with her thumb.

"Four... Five... Six... Seven..."

She had only used Koinosuke's self titled whistle once in her time of being Jubei Yagyu, and it was when Koinosuke has put the urinal queen mask upon her so that she could conquer her weakness. "Heh... He certainly has a way of showing that he cares." She mused, laughing dryly at her memories.

"Eight... Nine... Ten..."

She looked at the wooden whistle as it shined a white red color in the pale moonlight. "This will be the second time..." She said to herself, holding the small object up in the light and smiling.

"Blow this if you need me... I'll fly right to you."

"But I do need you, Koinosuke..." She whispered, her eyes filling with sorrowful tears. "Every day!" She nearly choked out, clenching her fists. "This will be the second time..." She whispered again brokenly.

She placed the mouthpiece upon her bottom lip...

"Eleven... Twelve..."

And she blew as hard as she could.

"Thirteen."

She opened her eyes slowly, looking at the floor and seeing a pair of sandaled feet. "Is it really..." She thought, looking up into a pair of sepia eyes. "Koinosuke!" She exclaimed, pouncing on the samurai and sobbing happily. Koinosuke let out a shriek and flailed his arms at the sudden force.

"J-Jiyu-dono!" He stammered, his face going scarlet. Jiyu looked up at him and smiled happily. "What's wrong?" Koinosuke asked the former ninja girl, his brow rising in worry. Tears cascaded down Jiyu's cheeks and she laughed happily.

"I missed you so much!" She cried, hugging him tighter. Koinosuke's eyes widened and his blush darkened. "The whistle really worked, Koinosuke-san!" She said, laughing happily.

"Jiyu-dono..." Koinosuke said quietly, patting her back gently and smiling. "I missed you too." He said, laughing as well. Jiyu let go of him suddenly and grasped his hands.

"Does this mean you can stay forever?" She said excitedly. Koinosuke's happy expression faltered and he bowed his head. A frown graced Jiyu's features as she took a step forward.

"I don't think so..." Koinosuke said quietly, his face dark. Jiyu sighed softly and gripped his hands tighter. "I'll have to ask Jubei-sama later." He said, trying to perk up the situation. Jiyu nodded and smiled back up at him again.

"Anyways, it doesn't matter if you can stay forever or not..." She said quietly. "All that matters is the present. I learned that a while ago." She giggled, looking up at the samurai. Koinosuke nodded, smiling warmly at Jiyu.

"You've grown since I last saw you. In body and spirit." He said, patting her head. Jiyu flushed in embarrassment and nodded. "You look nice." Koinosuke said, shyly.

"Th-thanks..." Jiyu stammered, diverting her eyes to the floor. "Why did you leave, Koinosuke?" She asked suddenly, making the three hundred and three year old samurai blink in confusion.

"I..." He paused, frowning slightly. "I didn't want to be a bother to you or Sai-dono." He said quietly. Jiyu narrowed her eyes and sighed heavily.

"Koinosuke, you'd never be a bother to me or Papa... you're like a part of our family!" She said, half angry, half sad. Koinosuke's frown grew as she said this. "I mean, you could half at least said something before you left me..." Jiyu said, letting go of his hands, dropping her own to her sides limply.

"I would've if I knew I were going to leave you!" Koinosuke said defensively. Jiyu's eyes widened as she could sense the samurai's anger.

"Koinosuke..." She said in disbelief. She had no idea that he could be capable of being mad at anyone, let alone her, the girl that he had sworn to serve from the moment she put on the lovely eyepatch. At this moment, Koinosuke's firey expression faltered as he realized how angry and unnatural he sounded.

"Jiyu-dono, I'm sorry!" He said quickly, his brow creasing upwards in worry for the crestfallen teenager. All Jiyu did was stand there, her shoulders shaking ever so slightly. "Jiyu-dono?" Koinosuke said quietly, taking a step closer to Jiyu. Then, suddenly...

SLAP

The crack of a palm to a cheek echoed off the trees and hills surrounding Jiyu Nanohana's home. It was a wonder her father hadn't woken up yet. Koinosuke sucked in a breath quickly as he touched the red handprint that was beginning to form on his cheek. His head was reeling, yet all he could do is open and close his mouth quickly.

"Koinosuke, never do that again!" Jiyu yelled angrily, one hand fisted at her side, the other splayed out in the air.

"Jiyu-dono! I'm sorry!" Koinosuke cried, falling to the floor and bowing to the fuming teenager that seemed to tower over him now. "Please, I beg forgiveness!" He apologized again, his mouth muffled by the folds of his cloak as they fell about his lowered head. Jiyu's firey eyes softened quickly at these words as she got down on her knees to meet him.

"Koinosuke, its fine." She said quietly, placing her hands firmly on his shoulders in order to keep him from bowing again. "It just scared me a bit when you did that... you didn't seem like yourself." She said, her lip trembling a bit as her eyes filled with tears. Koinosuke bit his lip as he saw her about to cry again.

"Jiyu-dono, you shouldn't have to cry, not when you're not doing anything wrong!" He exclaimed, feeling her grip on his shoulders tighten. Jiyu smiled up at him through tears that shined like silver in the moonlight.

"Its fine, Koinosuke. I wanted to see you, and I'm happy that I got my wish..." She trailed off, her eyes narrowing in thought. "I'm confused too... I... well, how do I say this?" She said, laughing softly in a croaky voice. "When you left, something inside me disappeared for a long time." She mused, looking into his dark eyes. Koinosuke smiled and reached a hand up to ruffle her hair.

"I can relate." He said wistfully, looking up at the thirteen stars that lit the sky over them. "I don't know what happened, but when I left to go live with Jubei-sama, it didn't feel like I thought it would. Something has been missing ever since I left you and Sai-dono." He said, flushing pink in embarrassment. Jiyu looked up at him, starry-eyed.

"Koinosuke, I..." She swallowed hard, her newfound courage surging through her. "I think I like you... more than a friend I mean." She said nervously, tugging at the collar of her white t-shirt. Koinosuke flushed red and cleared his throat.

"Well, um..." He said in a rather high-pitched voice, as though he were trying desperately to cling to his sanity in the moment. The courage that had once bubbled up inside Jiyu instantly disappeared, her expression that of a wild beast caught in the headlights of an SUV.

"M-maybe that was a mistake." She said in a hoarse voice as she tried to scramble to her feet again. Koinosuke was faster though, and he grabbed her hands and pulled her back down to the floor.

"If that was a mistake," Koinosuke said in a rough voice, "It must've been the best mistake I've seen in three hundred years." Jiyu squeaked in shock as the wimpy samurai hugged her tightly to him. "I love you, Jiyu-dono..." Koinosuke said, laughing softly. "I know it must be strange, since I'm so much older than you are... but I have a feeling that this is what Jubei-sama explained to me as the greatest moment in any man's life!" He said. Jiyu looked at the wall behind him, her eyes wide in shock.

"Koinosuke..." She whispered in disbelief. Koinosuke released his hold on her suddenly, his hands loosely laced with hers. "Stay here. Forever." Jiyu said quietly, her eyes wavering with more tears. Koinosuke smiled and nodded.

"I'll try, Jiyu." He said, making the girl blush as he said her name.

.

.

.

And so, the three hundred and three year old samurai and the ex-ninja girl sat on the roof of the Nanohana house, and under the thirteen stars that dotted the velvet sky; having nothing else said between them, they sat close together, waiting for the next dawn.

.

.

.

OWARI

-------------------------

Was that good? Don't forget to review!!!!!!!! ^_^