Justice League Fan Fiction ❯ Kallin's Story ❯ Think Fast ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kallin watched through the green translucent wall as the beast climbed to its feet once more shaking off the fall. Holding up her wrist she looked from it to the wall and smiled “alright then” letting the image of the wall disappear from her head she imagined there was several dozen green stones flying around her. Sending one flying towards each of the aliens and willing the stones to grow bigger and bigger until they reached their target. The Aliens paused only for a moment before renewing their efforts in full force. Unsure how long she stood there blocking her friends holding a domed shield over them Kallin watched as one of the green lanterns took a hit to the chest, knocking him from the air. The other two moved to try and help while still trying to defend the people as well, two beasts set about blasting at Kallin’s shield each hit feeling as though it was ten times the strength of the last. With a final blast her shield was destroyed leaving her on her knees and out of breath. “You will not strong enough, too bad.” The smallest creature spoke his voice rough as sand paper.


“If my will isn’t strong enough then I will just have to find another power to draw from.” Kallin gritted out, focusing on her friends and family, the town she loved all the things in the world she loved to do wanted to see. Filling her head with thoughts of love and hope she twined it with her will to see everything turn out ok refusing to accept anything less. Her wrist began to glow a light purple, though Kallin took no notice of it. The next blast was absorbed by her shield that had turned a light translucent purple. Imagining great powerful vines sprouting from the earth to wrap around the still air bourn crafts crushing them before wrapping them up like yoyos, and giant flowers that formed at the feet of the aliens there petals closing up to incase them in an in penetrable prison. Wiped of energy Kallin sat down watching as her imagined prisons were covered in a green light, as the energy turned from purple to green Kallin felt her body grow weary and her vision blurred and the pain in her, that had receded in her fear returned to full strength. Unable to process everything she passed out.


The lanterns looked from one to the other none knew what had just happened; temporary rings or other jewelry of power had never changed color or been so powerful before. Walking over to the unconscious girl the green lantern with silver hair lifted her up before into his arms. He waited for the other lantern to help their friend to his feet before taking off into the sky flying as fast as he could back to Oa. When he arrived Thaal Sinestro met him on the medics’ platform. “What is this Vaalor?” he questioned clearly unhappy that a human who was not in the corps had been brought to Oa. “I’m not quite sure what happened but she is in need of healing.” Looking over her arms Thaal nodded “I want a full report after you have dropped her off”.


Leaving his meeting with Vaalor, Thaal went right to the Immortals to ask their judgment. They discussed it at length, “in the beginning when we looked at different power sources the green power of will and the yellow power of fear were the most stable to work with they however were not the most powerful. There was another though it was far too unstable to for what was needed. This girl was somehow able to access and use it. Has the temporary power source faded?” they questioned. “No it has not though it should have by now.” Thaal answered “have her put through the indoctrination process”. Came the final decision.  


Waking up with a jolt Kallin sat up looking around the strange place, looking down see could see that someone had changed her. Feeling slightly disquieted by that she walked to the mirror, the suit was skin tight, to appeared to be a green body suit with black designs. Black boots that came to her thighs and what looked like black underwear. With black elbow length gloves and a black icon on her chest, similar to the ones she had seen on the guardian’s clothes. Turning away from the mirror and trying not to concentrate on the skin tight clothes or wondering who out them on her. Walking out onto a platform Kallin looked around at the amazing city around her. Vaalor flew up and landed beside her appearing shocked for a moment. “Hello I am Vaalor, welcome to Oa” he welcomed her, his voice soft and yet firm “Oa?” Nodding “planetary home of the green lantern corps” Kallin was astounded they had their own planet. Turning back she notices Vaalor’s mask was gone his eyes no longer a gold hue but a cloudy grey elongated pupils like a cats’. “it would seem your will was strong enough to change the temporary power wristlet  I gave you into one of true power” they stared at each other curiously “so I’m like you now?” she asked “we don’t know, this has never happened before.” He told her quietly, Kallin didn’t know what to say to that.


Asking if she would like to try and see if she was able to wield the wristlet like they did the rings after what seemed like an eternity of silence Kallin agree but only after making sure Vaalor plan of catching her if she fell. He spent time patiently explaining everything and answering all her questions. Starting with the very simplest of tasks creating a box, Kallin attempted it several times but even when she finally managed it the light green box was weak at best. Vaalor told her that since the power was knew she may need time before she could use it again or she may need to rediscover the trigger again. Just as they were about to break for the night Thaal flew down to them. “is that all you have done today a barely sustainable geometric form?” the distain in his voice clear “now you’ll be need us to keep a constant eye on you…my men are already stretched thin I don’t have to time to hold your hand.” He sneered at her, refusing to back down from this man, alien, Kallin smiled “than it’s a good thing Vaalor has already taken on the job”. Thaal bristled at this creating a bright light in his right hand “let us see this unmatchable will my men have spoken of” he threatened walking towards her leveling a blast at her. Kallin avoided it only by throwing her body at the ground rolling away, and getting to her feet. Not wanting to let this rude jerk simply push her around, Robert had taught her better than that, she felt a pulse in her wristlet.


Jerking away from him again she copied his move and leveled a weak blast at him, not bothering to block it Thaal took the hit which only pushed him back three steps. Sending another blast at her, Kallin’s shield was unable to stop it completely. Vaalor stepped up just behind her nodding to Thaal, as he leveled one last blast. The energy flew passed Kallin and toward Vaalor, terrified her new friend may get hurt because of her big mouth she throw out her hand picturing a standalone sling shot. The sling shot turned from green to purple as the basket caught the energy ball and threw it back at Thaal with triple the force, understanding hit Kallin. Love, her trigger the power source for her was love. Bathing herself in the feeling and memories of everyone she love, her suit changed from green to purple and light purple streaks formed in her hair. Blasting Thaal once more to throw him off his feet Kallin closed her eyes seeing in her head exactly what she wanted. A purple mist floated over Thaal absorbing all his attempts to escape moving to enclose him it began to harden holding him captive. Clapping and cheering could be heard from all around her, opening her eyes and letting the image dissipate, releasing Thaal, Kallin could see about fifteen or sixteen lanterns that had stopped to watch.          


Tried Kallin turned to Vaalor “that was horrible you scared me half to death” she screamed “there is no way he would miss me unless he was aiming to hit you, and he wouldn’t do that unless you knew! I’m not stupid!” Vaalor wasn’t sure what to say, “uh I’m sorry but it did help you didn’t it?” Angry Kallin turned back to back to Thaal who wore an inscrutable expression. “are you happy now? Mine is both a thousand times more powerful and a million times more flawed, feel better?” she screamed at him her new found power shrinking as she exchanged all of her ‘happy thoughts’ for ones of rude, sneaky, arrogant lanterns. Vaalor seeing that she wasn’t likely to calm down any time soon stepped forward and whispered to her “would you like to fly this off? Or go rest?” It only took a moment for her to think about it “fly”. Using his ring he lifted them both up and set off intent on showing her his home, they flew in silence around the city. Feeling safe enough with Vaalor to try flying on her own Kallin embraced the feelings of love again and attempted to fly herself, feeling her power wrap itself around her Vaalor pulled back his own. The first few seconds were rocky while she attempted to steer herself but smoothed out relatively quickly.


Many lanterns stopped to look at her having never seen a purple lantern. Breathing deep and trying to ignore the staring she flew on Vaalor keeping pace easily as she sped up wanting to see how fast she could go. By the time they had rounded back to the platform they had started on everyone was gone, Turning to Vaalor Kallin asked “are we going to be training again tomorrow, hopefully without the outburst” she blushed. Vaalor chuckled “hopefully” this will be your room for as long as you’re staying here, if you need me focus your energy on your wristlet and call me I’ll hear you” he told her, waiting till she was inside before he left her. Shaking her head hard Kallin chided herself ‘you cannot fall for an alien lantern, he’s being nice because it is his job’ she told herself repeatedly. Reaching up to hold her necklace she realized it wasn’t there and franticly looked around for it wanting to find her old clothes. As the thought crossed her mind the suit disappeared and she was once again in her old clothes her necklace firmly in place. Trying not to think of her family; how worried they must be, she walked over to the food tray that had been left a little hesitant, not know what they might consider a good meal to be, but only human food was sitting on the plate.


Walking up the next morning Kallin walked over to the platform and found Vaalor waiting. “You plan to train in that do you?” he asked trying not to smile; looking down she realized that she still wore her earth clothes. Thinking of her suit she felt the energy of her wristlet wash over her skin. And was once again dressed in her suit “I could get use to that” she laughed. Stopping she moved a hand over her but and side thinking, a purple scarf appeared and wrapped it’s self around her covering her where she felt she needed it. “Better” she smiled again, Vaalor said nothing but lifted and eyebrow.   



A/N: I had a friend ask me why purple for love and not red, I chose this because I had an image in my head of Kallin surrounded by green lanterns and purple work very well as far as colors goes and I love pastel purple and pastel green. Whereas I don’t really like red and green together  

Converting /tmp/phpV84vI4 to /dev/stdout