Juvenile Orion Fan Fiction ❯ Fallen ❯ Parting Paths ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
’Twas the night before posting and all through the house
One person was stirring, ignoring the mouse

Queen of procrastination, she typed frantically away
About angels not hers, beg as she may

Late into the night, her mind was getting weary
’Till she finally gave up, saying “Go to sleep, dearie”

“The angels can wait, you have all day tomorrow
To heap upon them all, sorrow after sorrow

“Unlike Lafayel, you need nine hours of sleep
As shown this morning, when you ignored the alarm’s beep”

And so she turned the light off and snuggled into bed
Only a sentence was written–she faced the morrow with dread

The angelic hierarchy is based solely on leadership qualities including power, strength, and intelligence. At the head of the social pyramid is the God, or colony leader. He has all the absolute powers of a human monarch, but it has been shown that Gods rarely extend their powers more than necessary. More often than not, Gods allow their subjects to resolve their own skirmishes. Because Gods are the most shrewd and most powerful angels within the colony, leadership is only changed when the current God falls before a more powerful angel. Any angel can challenge the God, though few try, valuing their lives over absolute power. One of the main duties of a God, or any other powerful angel, is to mate. For the sake of continuing the species and ensuring strong future generations, a God is expected to give a sample of his sperm to the nurses every moon.

Fallen
Chapter 4
Parting Paths
By Mirage

Platform three quickly filled up. The presence of a higher-than-average number of angels had drawn attention to those not aware of the event. Cherubs jostled each other and some of the shorter tempered angels had enough gall to send a few energy bolts flying. Gabriel watched Azrael’s face crinkle slightly in disgust as guardians were sent to clean the newly spilled blood.

He placed a firm hand on his companion’s arm to keep the younger angel from healing the injured. Israfel looked back up at him with pleading eyes but was answered with only a stern look. He lowered his eyes in shame and guilt as Gabriel turned his face back to the landing dock.

The sighting of the first ship was accompanied by murmurs as those present out of curiosity began inquiring as to the event. Gabriel and Israfel straightened and tried to peer over the heads of the crowd. A barely audible sigh of disappointment passed as it landed at platform six. The same happened with the next ship, and the next, until several angels began to fly away. Gabriel glanced at Azrael. The God stared at the sky in slight impatience as each ship docked close by. Gabriel briefly wondered how nobody beside himself seemed to notice the God’s poorly hidden emotions, but his attention was diverted back to the sky at the sudden flash of hope across Azrael’s face.

Another ship approached, just as the others had before it. Israfel trembled in excitement as it neared the platform. The ship steered itself carefully before lowering onto the empty space and the crowd surged forward a bit. The constant murmuring and shifting stopped as the bottom of the ship slid open. Azrael, with his entourage of four main advisors rose to greet the five white figures that had dropped out of the hull. With all six wings spread, the God extended his presence. The leader of the fleet lowered his own, and leaving his commanding officers, floated towards the supreme angel, hand over his heart and head bowed. Azrael withdrew his aura and offered Iblis a ribbon. The lower-ranking angel swept his hair up into a high ponytail and secured it with the ribbon. Iblis, Commander of the Blue Planet mission, had returned to Heaven.







“Lafayel!”
< br> He ignored him.

“Lafayel!” Israfel yanked on Lafayel’s trailing braid.

“Gaarrrrgh!” Lafayel spun around to glare at his harasser, who flapped his wings steadily, smiling. “Don’t do that!” he shouted.

Israfel chuckled slightly. “Cherub-like tactics still work. What are you doing in the nursery section? Didn’t you go see the fleet’s arrival?”

“I went,” he grumbled.

“I didn’t see you.”

“I went alone.”

“You have been rising early as well,” Israfel said. “It’s been four suns since we have eaten or trained together, and you come back to the barracks late as well.” Israfel narrowed his eyes. “You are avoiding me.”

Lafayel avoided eye contact with his interrogator.

“Any insight as to why?” Israfel pressed. “I thought the issue with victory and death was settled. I still disagree with you, but I have acknowledged that in Heaven, it may be the case, but I still believe angels can treat each other more–”

“Humanely?” Lafayel cut in. “In case you haven’t noticed, Israfel, we are angels, not humans! We are superior. Our species has even survived our planet’s destruction. Why should we regress to uncivilized behaviors within our society?”

Israfel bristled. “Humans are no more uncivilized than we are,” he argued. “In fact, they may be even more so than angels.”

“And how would you know that? You’ve never even seen a human before in your life.”

“I found records,” he said. “You are not the only one who has read Calandra’s collection. I suppose even despite Gabriel’s urgings that you stop you have continued to read those scrolls. Admit it. You find humans just as fascinating as I do.”

“I did when I was a cherub. Then I learned how foolish those insignificant creatures are.”

Israfel snorted. “Insignificant. That is how you view the beings that provide our food. The beings that keep us alive and worship us. And you believe they are insignificant? Misled, yes. But by us. How is it civilized when a species willfully manipulates another into groveling at our feet and taking pleasure in being so humiliated? Is there any pride in such a dishonorable act?”

Lafayel stared at his companion. “Honor has nothing to do with survival,” he finally said. “Manipulation is a part of angelic life, Israfel. It has been so for the past millennia.” He descended softly, Israfel following close behind. “Do you know how angels survived the death of Nirvana?” he continued. “We already had colonies established. They were all military based, stationed strategically within the galaxy to protect the planet. Then the planet died. Just exploded one day and wiped out half the colonies as well. Only the ones placed further out remained. Heaven, Hell, Hades. And what do you think it was like? No food. No water. Only a few meliads at each colony to continue the species. The only way to survive was through missions. Manipulating aliens to do our bidding just so we could stay alive. It was honor or life, Israfel. Honor has been dead for centuries.”

“But the missions instilled honor in the humans.”

“The early missions. The ones that consisted of angels that were all wiped out due to their soft nature.”

Israfel landed lightly beside Lafayel. “We are not wholly dependent on humans anymore, Lafayel,” he said softly. “We are self-sustaining now. Why not revive the old ways? Cultivate emotion and morals again. There is no more need for manipulation.”

Silence. The lavender-eyed angel stood surrounded by piles of soft white feathers confronted by the four-winged angel. Lafayel contemplated his answer before replying uncharacteristically quietly, “It has been a part of life too long. Angel can not let go of strength and power.” He heard the rustle of clothing and feathers as Israfel took off and refused to look up.

“It is better he realize this truth before it is too late.”

Lafayel snapped his head up at the familiar voice. Rayyu leaned against the frame of the doorway of Orchard C, arms crossed over his chest. The nurse walked towards his charge and put one hand on his shoulder. “That cherub had great power and can achieve great things,” he said, looking up at the retreating figure. “He may even become God one day.” He looked at Lafayel, watching him with wide eyes. “I am grateful to you, Lafayel. He may take your words to better heart than he does mine.” He squeezed his shoulder then walked to another orchard. Lafayel lifted his head and stared at the space where Israfel had disappeared from and could not help but feel he had betrayed his lifelong companion.







Gabriel broke his concentration when Israfel entered the empty room. “I see you have not retrieved Lafayel,” he said. The younger angel merely settled beside him to meditate. “Have you settled your dispute with him?” Israfel tensed. “I see. My suspicions have been confirmed.”

“As have mine,” Israfel said bitterly.

“He has angelic pride.”

“Too much, in my opinion.”

Gabriel frowned. “As do you,” he said. Israfel opened his mouth to object but was stopped by a stern look. “You have the pride of an angel. Perhaps not in the angelic race, but the same amount of it, nonetheless.”

Israfel glared at his role model halfheartedly. “I do not want to be associated with angels anymore,” he admitted. “There is so much… pain in our history. Ever since the death of Nirvana, there have been no records of good deeds done by our race. I wonder if we all should have died with our planet.”

“What is good, Israfel?” Gabriel asked. “And even if you are to answer that, are you wondering if it is good for the survival of our species or of the well-being of others? Life is a cruel thing, Israfel, and only those powerful enough to survive and overcome it can prove themselves worthy. That is why angels have risen in power.”

“And fallen in morals.”

Gabriel brushed the bangs out of his companion’s forehead. “Our ancestors made sacrifices,” he said, staring into his amber eyes. “It is not our place to judge what they believed to be the best option at the time. We cannot change things as they are now, and may as well find ways to cope with things as they come.” He searched his eyes for understanding. “You have great power within you, Israfel. Come with me to the blue planet. Rise through the ranks with me, and make a difference in the colony, or if not that, the fleet.”

Israfel stared back at Gabriel. “And Lafayel?”

The older angel dropped his hand to his side and resumed the meditating position. “Whether or not you choose to inform Lafayel of this is your choice. He is only average and may not be accepted as an apprentice by an angel of this fleet. There may be hope, but the first choice is yours.”

“Jibril, is there an angel that may consider us?”

“I have spoken to several. There is one called Abraham who has agreed to observe a sparring session tomorrow at the sun’s third eighth.”

Israfel nodded, despite Gabriel’s eyes being closed and began the regular breathing cycle. In. Feel your strength, power, and energy. Out. Expel your inner weakness, fear, and turmoil. In. Consider the differences you could make. Out. Release Heaven’s corruption. In. Concentrate on Gabriel’s support. Out. Let go of Lafayel’s.







Lafayel sent dagger-like energy bolts flying through the air as he fought with another angel. The hot bolts merely grazed his opponent’s wing as he darted to the side and fired a counter attack. Growling, Lafayel dropped several meters then launched himself at the other angel. He formed another bolt of energy, but kept it close to his body, wielding it like a staff. The other angel’s primitive shield shattered on impact and his head cleaved in two. As the body fell to the ground, Lafayel looked down in disgust, allowing the energy to disperse into the air. “I told you,” he said coldly, “don’t underestimate me.” He grinned. “I suppose you never will again.” He closed his eyes and lifted his face upwards, expecting to enjoy the usual thrill that came with victory. None came. His eyes opened with a sneer. Israfel was usually present during his fights; ready to congratulate him on his win once it was over. The two hadn’t crossed paths since the last argument nine suns ago. On impulse, Lafayel began to fly toward the nurseries when he felt a familiar aura.

“Rayyu!” he called, flying to catch his caregiver. “Why are you going to the docks?”

The older angel looked at him in slight surprise. “Israfel did not inform you of his leave?”

Lafayel felt his body turn cold. “No,” he said slowly. Israfel told him everything. He was not leaving. “You must be mistaken, Rayyu. Israfel is not leaving.”

Rayyu stared at him. “I do not make mistakes when it comes to my charges,” he said. “Israfel is leaving. He and Gabriel were accepted as apprentices to one of the missionaries of Iblis’s fleet. I suspected you were as well, as Israfel would not leave Heaven without you. You will be late if you do not hurry.”

“And you? You are taking your time.” Lafayel fought the dread brewing inside him.

“I merely want to see the fleet take off. I do not need to see the cherubs to know they are leaving. We exchanged farewells earlier today.”

At Rayyu’s last words, Lafayel shot off towards the docks. They forgot to tell me. He repeated, shoving angels out of his way as he sped toward the platforms. I barely saw any of them for the past few suns; they did not have a chance to tell me. It’s my fault. I avoided them.

But Israfel could have found you
, a tiny voice said. Israfel always finds you.

Lafayel shook his head to dispel any disturbing thoughts. He had to concentrate on finding Israfel. He arrived at the edge of the platform as Iblis rose into the last ship. Please, please wait. He begged as he cursed the fact that he had to land and walk. He only dared to shove cherubs out of his way as he inched through the crowd. The Commander disappeared inside the ship. Just a little longer. Keep the door open. The door closed. Israfel! Expelling hot air, the ship rose to join the others suspended in the air before leading the fleet to the opening in the dome that would allow them to enter into space. Lafayel chased after them even as the other spectators began to fly away. White blinded him as he tried to keep his focus on the gray hulls of the ships against the blackness of space. The dome opened. He could feel the air being sucked out, but continued to pursue the quickly retreating ships. Don’t leave me here! The last ship exited the colony. The dome closed. ISRAFEL!!! He stopped as the harsh reality hit him. Israfel had left him. He had gone with Gabriel and nobody had told him. Hot tears trailed down his face. For the first time in his life, Lafayel was truly alone.







XXXXXXXXXXXX
Allusions and Explanations:
Nurses: Caretakers for the meliads and sprouts. They are one of the lower ranking angels. Read chapter 1 again for more info on what they do.

Sun: A day.

Moon: A month, though not necessarily 30 days. Keep in mind that wherever Heaven is, the days and months may vary, depending on the positioning of their dead planet to the sun and the moon.

Nirvana: The Buddhist place of enlightenment. From now on, it will be the name of the angels’ dead planet.

Abraham: The father of Israel. Thank you, RumorUnderOath, for telling me. Once again, I just needed a biblical name and my literature teacher briefly mentioned him when we were reading Song of Solomon by Tony Morrison.

Posted: 28 December 2006
Next Post: 15 January 2007