Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman Fan Fiction ❯ Dogfight ❯ Dogfight ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Name of show: Gatchaman

Spoilers: None

Disclaimer: Gatchaman and all associated birdpeople and Red Rangers all belong to Tatsunoko. No copyright infringement is intentional. No money is made from this work.

Author's Note: As the name suggested, this is a dogfight scene between ex-Red-Ranger pilot Masaki Ogasawara and his sister's boyfriend, the Eagle of the Science Ninja Team, Ken Washio. (Of course, their relationship was why neither pilot had been firing at one another) The fight ended with intervention from Masaki's ex-boss, Red Impulse, who also happened to be Ken's father.

1,000 ft.. 2,000 ft… 3,000 ft

The jet continued gaining altitude as the needle on the meter swerved further and further to the right.

Masaki shook his black mane, trying to clear his mind of the effects of the alcohol, his green eyes scanning the area to gain at least a certain amount of SA (situation awareness) of his surroundings.

The sun was just rising and the sky was a fish-belly white. Vision was barely acceptable, only light enough for him to make out that the Slick was hot on his tracks. He grunted, noting that pretty soon the other fighter jets would join in the take down.

"No fun! No fun at all," he said to himself, flooring the accelerator.

With the lead he had from the take-off, Masaki managed to extend from Ken reasonably, as headed his jet straight towards the ocean.

However, the Slick was a faster jet, and soon Ken was closing in on him.

Ken clicked on the radio, trying to get Masaki to respond, while pushing his jet to continue to gain on the F-18.

"Masaki, you idiot, turn back. There is no way you can get away with this."

"Damn you, Eagle, just fuck off! I told you I don't need your damn lectures! Leave me alone!"

"No Damn you, Masaki. You're throwing away your life away like that just for a Goddamn Assassin? What's wrong with you? What about your family and friends?"

A growl sounded from over the radio, "To Hell with you, Eagle... Sadako is not just a Goddamn Assassin. She is my love, my woman, the one who died for me. You'd better be careful with what you choose to say regarding her, I'd shoot you down if you dare to say that again."

The Slick was getting within an uncomfortable distance. Masaki grunted. He checked his location. They were now over the ocean and at an altitude of about 5,000 ft. Masaki waited till Ken was close by and pulled his jet into a Split-S, rolling his plane onto his back as it turned 90 degrees right and pulled back until his plane was level again, in an attempt to make Ken overshoot. His jet darted forward in the new direction, with its trailing white smoke forming a perfect L shape against the dawning gray sky.

He almost succeeded, but Ken saw that coming, he quickly raised the nose of the Slick up, in a High Yo-yo maneuver, his jet gaining altitude as he turned it in the direction that the F-18 was taking, with non-compromised speed.

Masaki grunted again, seeing that the Eagle was still hot on his tail. "Good, Eagle, let's have a race and see who's the better pilot," he said as he dropped his plane out of the sky, into a nosedive, plunging almost freely towards sea level.

Ken wasn't one to give up easily though, he quickly followed suit, keeping close to Masaki.

"Give it up Masaki, I know for a fact that your jet does not have a full tank. Even if we turn back now, it would be a close call. Stop making an idiot of yourself!"

Masaki's maniacal laugh was the only answer Ken got.

Right before hitting the surface, Masaki pulled his plane level. Ken followed close behind. The two planes pulled into a Flat Scissors fight maneuver, swerving precariously in and out against one another, the draft from their bodies cutting a winding trough in the sea below, forming a linking figure-8 pattern on the water surface.

In the middle of about the 5th crossing, Masaki suddenly pulled his plane up into a Chandelle, and climbed upwards in a large spiral at blinding speed.

Ken grunted at Masaki's persistence in trying to evade him. He quickly pulled his jet up after Masaki's.

"For Pete's sake, Masaki, don't make me shoot you down," Ken mumbled.

"No, Ken. Don't make me shoot you down." Masaki replied. "You know, you are really getting irritating."

Masaki leveled his plane again at 4,000 ft and turned sharply flying straight towards the Sun, then as Ken close in on him again, he sent his jet into a Barrel Roll to the left, making it fly in a corkscrew pattern, dropping out of Ken's way.

Ken, being partially blinded by the Sun's glare, overshot. That was too good an opportunity to miss, Masaki quickly turned his jet to the right and sped off extending from Ken as much as possible. He laughed as a string of swearing came through the radio.

"Tsk! Tsk! Eagle, mind your language!" he laughed.

A growl was the reply he got.

His laughter was cut short, as two familiar jets approached him from the front. He slumped against his seat, "Not the Rangers as well," he muttered.

Sure enough, it was the rangers. With one glance, he recognized the Red Impulse's jet. The other one, he grunted, seemed to be his own. He wondered who was flying it though.

"Masaki, you ass, turn back towards ISO base, right now! This is an order!" roared Red Impulse through the radio.

Masaki groaned loudly. The two Rangers jets were already in position, flanking his jet and the Slick was closing in from behind. There was literally no way he could have lost all three of them at the same time.

"This is not even humane, Colonel! Are you ordering me to head back so that they can put me behind bars? I did no wrong. It's not my Goddamn fault that the little shit's grandfather happened to be a fucking founder of ISO. It's written policies that we can kill to protect our identity and that MacDougal threatened to expose us." Masaki protested loudly into the radio.

"I told you we are trying to clear that out, Masaki," intercepted Ken.

"Clear your ass. You are the one who arrested me, why should I believe you?" Even as he spoke, Masaki flipped the switch to stall his left engine, sending his jet into a Snap Roll, quickly rolling downwards onto it's left. Then, as soon as the plane leveled, he revved its engine, reversed its direction and tried to speed away again.

Red Impulse and the Eagle's cursing came through the radio in unison. They swiftly reversed their jets and went after the ex-Ranger.

Masaki floored the accelerator trying to maintain the extend between them. However, both of the other pilots were using their own jets, in additional to the fact that they had more powerful jets. Soon, they were right behind him again.

"This is your last chance, Masaki, give it up! Or, I fire," Red Impulse's booming voice came rumbling through the radio, even as the beeping sound from the radar notified Masaki that his jet had been locked.

"To Hell with you, Colonel!" yelled Masaki.

It was then when the evilly grinning Red Impulse fired his machine guns at the fleeing jet.

Sputter... Sputter .. sputter..

Rolls of bullet holes hit the wings of the F-18, subsequently killing its engines.

Masaki swore as his jet started spiraling downwards in a nosedive, plunging straight into the waters below.