Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Chibi Vampire: the Selibri's Waltz, (Or: The Dream--The Reality.) ❯ Chapter 25

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 25
 
It was the next night, and the sun was now just below the horizon, and the sky was still smeared with a bit of red. Anjou was the first up, and she decided on some devotional time and guitar playing. However, as she went into the front room to retrieve her guitar, Elga was staring out the window, and she wondered if she had been there all night. Ryuu also hadn't moved, and had been staring at a wall, thinking over many things that might have even temporarily baffled the world's smartest person. Not knowing how to react to the statue at the window, or the statue on the couch, she sat in the easy chair and started to play a song called And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda. It was something she had learned from Jean-Claude and she sang it with relish. Ryuu continued to stare, barely registering the music. His thoughts drifted from thing to thing, unable to stay focused on one problem at a time. Elga, as she listened, did not move her body, save to wipe away one solitary tear. After a couple of minutes, Elga said, “Who taught you that?”
“Jean-Claude,” she said, “He may not look it, but he is a sweetheart when he does not have to do...this. He doesn't really always look this mean. He really has a big heart.”
Elga pondered those words for a moment, and then she said, “Hopefully not so big as to get a stake driven through it.”
Ryuu then stood up and yawned slightly while asking, “Well, I'm bored, anyone up for some fighting practice before the others awake?”
Before they could do this, though, the smell of cooking came wafting through the doors, and they knew Karin was up. After a bit, she stuck in her head and said, “Hey, breakfast is almost ready: why don't you join us?”
They then went their way over to the dinner table as Karin said, “Go get the others for breakfast. I know Keelin and Chiyuki would appreciate a good feed after last night.”
“Chiyuki won't eat,” said Ryuu “Don't even worry about making her a plate. I'm not sure about Keelin-sama though.”
Ren took the hint and woke her up. She had slept between him and Chiyuki, and he went to their bedroom and gently picked her up as not to wake Chiyuki, who did stir slightly, but then curled back up and went to sleep. He closed the door behind him and said, “Keelin, honey, it's time to wake up,” hoping the scent of breakfast would bring her around. Keelin opened her eyes a little and scanned the room, then back flipped out of Ren's arm, hissing like a savage animal at the newcomer. Yet, the twins stood up and opened theirs saying, “Keelin, that's quite enough,” tapping into her mind, trying to find out what was causing her aggression and then shutting it down. Keelin swallowed noisily, and stood up, straightening herself. Sheila then said, “Keelin, it is written: the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. You must learn to control them if you are to join the nobility.”
Everyone acted like this was normal, but Elga just stared at the twins, having heard the legends, but never figuring that it was to be like that. Keelin nodded and said to Elga, “Sorry, I don't think that would have happened. I was caught off guard. Even though it isn't a very good reason or excuse as you put it. I apologize.”
Aurelius then appeared next to Keelin, since he had been changed, he had been used to being near Keelin when she was on her normal days. Whenever one of the spirits in her head took her over he had to move to keep from being a liability to them. After everything was calm, they began to dine, and Elga filled them in on what had happened in Europe since the purge.
 
After the purge, the Inquisition thought they had won, but in fact, they had been culled the further east the hunt went. The few remaining living vampires made their way into Romania, and ran into the vampires there. Queen Lucretia gave them haven, but never let full contact happen, knowing her own father, and knowing the danger they faced, which was the same one she faced from the three remaining clans. Indeed, not months later, Lucretia was dead, and the living vampire had been forgotten until recent days. For all that time, Elga had lived on the Bohemian fringe, living life after life, and tending to the needs of her family as much as she could, especially her nephew Fredric, who, though a vampire, was very human in behavior, and indeed took after James Marker himself. She then said, “Other than that, we all have been living concealed lives. Yet, now that my adopted nephew has done what he has done, we have breathed a great sigh of relief, but it will be greater if we can see this through. Now, I fancy a bit of shopping. Anyone up for it?”
Jean-Claude and the eight were trying to get things moving, but Elga said, “Nonsense: there is always time for that!”
Suddenly, Romulus closed the phone and said, “Maybe it is best we do this. We need time for things to cool down, and we can get going soon after that.”
With that, Jean-Claude just shrugged his shoulders and said, “Okay…Um, Ryuu, how about Chiyuki?”
“It's best we let her sleep,” he responded, “We can get her when we return.”
“There is something else you should know, if you haven't been already told,” said Elga, “Since the twins are indeed related to the Selibri, they can retain souls after they die and then deposit them into either a recently dead person so that they can continue to live, or they can be put into a newly conceived child.”
Ryuu's eyes went wide with hope. That meant that Ai might live again. “Are…you sure of this,” Ryuu choked out.
“Most certainly,” said Elga, “This is why the child of the fount, and apparently, any she had anything to do with directly, are as powerful as they are, and why we put so much hope on them. Perhaps, if Anjou is willing, the little girl can be placed into her womb.”
Everyone thought that this would be something to which Anjou would say, “No,” but instead, she was wiping away tears of joy, knowing that she may be the bearer of great hope for her family, and her good friend Ryuu. Yet, there was still something stirring in Ryuu. He had to get this done, because when he stared at Keelin now, he stared at Ai, and yet, not at Ai. He had all he could do to keep from becoming enraged, knowing how close she was, and yet, she might as well as be a million miles away.
 
With that, they headed into town, and Elga was intent on a whole new wardrobe. She, like Jean-Claude's mother, had been wise about money, and she too was well set for things. Ryuu yawned and said, “I still think we shouldn't be doing this.”
Elga said, “Nonsense…what's the worst that could happen?”
“Where do I begin,” Ryuu said sarcastically.
Ryuu glanced around, keeping his eyes and ears open. Keelin was sitting on his shoulders. However, everyone was now enjoying themselves, considering that all the stress called for some kind of rest and relaxation. A lot had happened, and they needed a bit of time to blow off some tension. Keelin blinked and asked Ryuu, “I can get something for mommy?” who nodded, and she then went and asked Jean-Claude. “Sure, angel!” said Jean-Claude, “Whatever you want!”
Keelin then walked to the back of the store and pulled out a red, full length kimono. “That looks so pretty, Jean-Claude said, “You have good taste!”
“She gets it from me,” said Ren, smugly.
“I am so sure that will cheer mommy right up!” said Jean-Claude, remembering his training in dealing with kids while in college.
Keelin blinked, then walked back to the isle and got a thing of very suggestive red undergarments and handed them to her father, saying, “This is for Daddy to give to mommy to make her feel better too.”
Ren turned beat red as everyone else tried to stifle a laugh at the innocence of Keelin. Anjou just stared at Ren with a smirk as if to say, “What have you been teaching her, my pervert big brother.”
Elga came up and said in her Parisian way, (considering the family heritage,) as she poked him on the nose and teased, “You sly little fox, you! I am jealous of your wife!”
Ryuu couldn't help but breaking out into loud, uncontrolled laughter. “You should ask Chiyuki about the time her and Ai had a sexy contest,” he said, in between fits of laughter.
“REN!” said Karin, hands on her hips, “Have you been trying to seduce the both of them!”
He now became flustered, and found it hard to speak, as he muttered, “But...hey...I don't know what you're talking about? I never saw something like that!”
“But I know you would have enjoyed it if you had, big brother Ren!” said Anjou.
He just came up and took the negligee and stuffed it into his jacked and whispered to Keelin, “Daddy will take care of that.”
“This was waaay before Ren came into the picture,” Ryuu said, still laughing, “I can't explain it properly…ask Chiyuki.”
Ren went up to try to discreetly pay for the item, but the cashier couldn't read the tag, got on the loudspeaker, and said, (in Romanian,) “Need a price check on this intimate ware—price check on this intimate ware!”
Ren put his head on the counter. This was not his day. Ryuu broke out into more laughter, fighting for air in between laughs. The manager was female, saw how he looked, and she said, “Hmm...I'm unfamiliar with this one. Ladies, do any of you know how much this costs,” and they all came over to look. Of course, she knew the price, but she wanted to ride this as much as she could.
Keelin then jumped on the counter. “Why are you harassing daddy? Do you want one of those for your child's daddy? There are more back there,” she said, blinking.
Everyone, both Ren's crew and the staff, were in hysterics over Keelin's complete innocence in the whole matter. They were not certain if she knew exactly what that kind of clothing meant, but Ren was not going to give her the chance to reveal anymore. He stuffed what had to be more than enough for the lingerie into their hands, scooped up both Keelin and the “thing” and headed for the door, red as a beat. The others paid, but with difficulty, as they were all laughing their fool heads off. Keelin was grinning from ear to ear as she was tucked under her father's arm like a football, and taken out of the store. Ryuu was unable to breath he was laughing so hard. As Jean-Claude and Karin helped Elga take her new things out, Anjou could not help but wonder if Ai had something to do with all that was going on. She was so saddened that Chiyuki had to miss this! Indeed, this was the stress relief the needed. Keelin was grinning from ear to ear. Ryuu was right behind them, having to stay close to Keelin. They went back to the hotel, hoping to catch Chiyuki awake, and relay to her the funny story.
 
It was not to be that night.
 
When they came back, the hotel was in a tattered mess, Chiyuki was missing. A note in fancy italic writing was sitting on the only table not turned upside down. All Jean-Claude could do was stare in anger. Ren started to see if his wife was still there while Jean-Claude picked up the note. The note read:
Greetings,
 
Though we have yet to meet, I already find that you are not the most brilliant man. The female you left here I'm sure could have fended us off if she were not in the state she was. I'm glad to inform you that the Red Devil will be safe, and I believe will pose more of a threat to me then you ever could. I hear the eldest one is with you. Give him my most humble greetings. Ah, I'm sure by this point I should be offering some sort of ransom to you. Well I want the demon you defend; one of your tools of change can also be mine. Anyway, I invite you to my castle. Bring whatever and whomever you like and come dressed to your best. Your Red Devil will be here, taken care of, and woken from her coma.
 
Sincerely,
 
Vlad Dracul.
 
Ryuu had been reading over his shoulder. “It seems he took the bait,” he said.
“Um...you know about this?” asked Karin.
However, Jean-Claude knew that she could not have been taken that easily remembering how New York had gone, and what the Devil Sisters had done to one half of lower Manhattan when it came time to take down Amayah. He calmed some and said, “I can see she let herself be captured, but why?”
“Jean-Claude: Do you wish me to explain?”
“That would help.”
“Chiyuki was in a state where she was sleeping off her weaknesses. When she wakes up, she will be as strong as an undead vampire who had drank the equivalent of three full grown humans. Yet, in the time she is sleeping, she is the most vulnerable. I knew this, and knew that Vlad would use this to his advantage. So I used Chiyuki as bait, she is going to kick my butt when she wakes up, but as for now it has gotten us what we wanted, a free pass into his castle and a chance to face him and wipe him out,”
As Ryuu explained, he readied to defend himself from a crazy vampire husband, (Ren,) if necessary. “You...did...WHAT!” exclaimed Ren, now very angered that his wife was put in danger, but Jean-Claude got in his face, saying, “HEY! CHILL IT! You know they are far older than you, and are very capable of taking care of themselves. She can take care of herself. When she wakes up, there is going to be hell to pay!”
He then went to his things, and assembled his Beowulf rifle, and loaded it with garlic rounds. “This would be less conspicuous round here, considering the third world kind of areas into which we will go. Okay, Ryuu, what do we do now?” he said.
“You will need to combine the use of that with your great speed, strength, cleverness, and that saber at your side,” added Elga, “He may not be as old as Ryuu of Chiyuki, but he is powerful. He indeed is empowered by a demonic force. In fact the way he became what he is had nothing to do with being turned. Shall I tell you his story?”
“Which one of the folklore is correct about him?” Ryuu asked.
“In the middle ages, he was a good ruler over Transylvania, but when he went off to the Crusades, enemies told his beloved wife that he had died, and she threw herself off the castle wall, not wanting to live without him. When he returned, and when he found out, he discovered those behind the plot, forsook God, swore war on him, and became a tyrant. The histories of the impalement started there. However, he did not die, and he was cursed with vampirism, much like you, Ryuu. He swore two things, war against God, and to find his true love born again one day. His `wives' are really concubines. He may have been influenced by this Teresa of whom you speak. Know, however, he can go out in daylight, but his powers are greatly dampened.”
“Being corrupted into vampirism sounds a lot like I have a brother,” Ryuu said, suspiciously.
“Yes, but quite a bit apart from you, and far more sinister,” said Elga, “He is out only for himself. That's what makes him dangerous. At least you overcame your demon.”
Ryuu sighed and said, “Great! A brother: of all the nonsense I was expecting!”
“Him being up in the day may give us the best chance to get to him, when he is in that weakened state,” said Jean-Claude.
“Do you think he is going to let us get near him during day?” asked Ryuu.
“Highly doubtful,” said Elga, “He, unlike the world of the living vampire, has not forgotten the usefulness of g'huls. Considering that they are his g'huls, we need to be ready.”
Ryuu nodded and said, “Okay, he invited us for dinner. We should go.”
“Let's give a response at first,” said Anjou, who had one of her bats with her. She got out pen and paper and said, “What should we say in response to him?”
“We cordially accept?” Ryuu suggested, “But won't come dressed to our best. Blood is a pain in the butt to get out of silk.”
Anjou was scribbling, but Jean-Claude said, “Hey, wait…you don't think we're going to just waltz in there and think he's going to treat us like long, lost friends, do you?”
Elga then said, “With the royalty here, he would be a fool to try anything.”
Ryuu sighed and said, “Actually, Jean-Claude, I expect he will treat us better than that, like a long lost sibling or mother. Judging by the way he wrote this note, he is arrogant, and finds himself too old and too witty to be caught by anything we could attempt.”
Jean-Claude paced the floor for a bit, and then he said, “Okay, tell him that we come, under a flag of truce, but we will have weapons just in case someone or something decides to get stupid on the journey. The next question is, what about her?”
Keelin blinked, and then said boldly, “Mommy is in danger, and he wants me to come, so I will...I'm not scared of him!”
At that statement, the twins came beside her—one on each side—and said, “He won't be able to get near you.”
Keelin blinked, and ran back to her room and rummaged through her suitcase, grabbing Boogie-kun. He barked, “It's about time you got me out of that bag, Keelin! It is stuffy in there! It's been days! What's going on? Hey, why does everyone look like they are getting ready to fight a war?”
The look on Jean-Claude's face was one of death, and Boogie-Kun then said, “Anjou, you have one whale of an effect on people!”
She just gave him that look, and he clammed up. “Do I get a sword?” Keelin asked.
“Highly doubtful: your mother would have a cow and then kill me with it!” Ryuu said, nodding.
Karin couldn't resist: “With the sword, or with the cow?”
“Both!” Ryuu said, putting a hand against the wall for support as he was crushed by the sweat on his head.
And after everyone managed to regain their ability to breathe from laughing so hard, they all settled in to prepare for the next night.
 
Keelin was asleep almost instantly. As Jean-Claude prepared, he saw Ryuu, and he said, “Penny for your thoughts?”
Ryuu shrugged and said, “Which series of thoughts? You may need a roll of pennies for that.”
“Sounds like you have a lot on your plate.”
“I just think more than Karin can talk.”
“Hey, I don't like this either. I feel like the fly telling the Venus Fly Trap, `Oh, just open up a bit wider, and I'll fit in better.'”
Ryuu sighed and asked, “Which thought of mine do you want me to elaborate on? I'm not saying you have it peachy-keen either if you seem to get that impression. My thoughts are the only place where it is private, and in some cases, not even there.”
“I'm making reference to what we're about to do, you know, the invitation. I feel like we'd get safer results doing the electric slide on quicksand.”
“I've done that before....it's not very fun cleaning the sand out of your pants.”
“Well, you are familiar with disaster.”
“Yes…ice and ships don't mix well either, come to think of it.”
Jean-Claude thought for a moment and said, “Don't tell me you were on the Titanic!”
Ryuu glanced at the floor and asked, “Is that a bad thing?”
Jean-Claude looked at him stunned, and he said, “Why were you there, and how did you survive?”
“I swam?” he said, ignoring the first part of the question, “With two other humans...I wanted to and could have saved them all, but at that time. I would have been killed instantly when I got to shore.”
He couldn't resist, and joked, “I guess you brought two snacks with you?”
“Snacks?” Ryuu answered as swelled up slightly in anger, “Do you think I intended to eat them after I saved them?”
“Relax,” said Jean-Claude, “Vampire humor: anyway, talking to you feels like doing an interview with Mel Brooks' 2,000 year old man.”
Ryuu relaxed when he explained himself, “I've been there for most of the construction and destruction of the world.”
“Well, there had to have been some humor in there.”
“If I said I had been driving the bulldozer there would have been, but I was dead serious.”
“Again, the 2,000 year old man thing: It's like Mel told Carl Reiner, who was acting like an interviewer, and he said, `Did you always believe in God?' and Mel said, `No, there was Phil. Biggest guy in the tribe.' He then asked, `Do you remember any prayers to him?' and Mel went, `Oh Phil, please do not hit us with a club, Phil, let us live.' Then the interviewer goes, `So how did you discover God?' and Mel went, `Well, Phil was under a tree, being Phil, and then lightning came down and killed him. And we said, “There's someone bigger than Phil!”'”
Ryuu chuckled slightly and said, “Egypt is very pretty in spring you know.”
“Ah yes, Egypt in spring: in March, sand; in April, sand; except maybe near the Nile...March, sweltering jungle; April, sweltering jungle...”
Ryuu rolled his eyes and said, “We should go sometime. Did you know I have my own pyramid?”
Jean-Claude looked at him oddly, and he said, “Did you pretend to be some high dignitary at that time or something?”
“No...But they assumed I was, because I saved them from a drought,” he said, nodding.
“What era were you in Egypt: which Dynasty?”
“Dynasty? The era was shortly after the Jewish slaves were freed.”
“Oh that,” he said, “After they ransacked the place and left Egypt with practically nothing. Then they lost their Pharaoh when he charged after them into the Red Sea. I'm sorry, but, wouldn't the parting of the Red Sea by itself hinted at something? Or, was he that much of a dimwit? I mean, after ten plagues, geesh!”
“I'd think so, but, eh!” he said, shrugging.
“Hey, you know, you have to think things are better,” said Jean-Claude, “I mean, ever since Congress secretly put us under the same protection as the Arlington Magic society, things have been better. It's not exactly what I aimed at, but it's better than nothing at all. We still have to keep it secret, but at least we're not running for our lives.”
Ryuu sighed, “Yes, but it's hard to be optimistic when every turn at the road is pessimistic.”
“We gotta stay in there and keep on swinging.”
Ryuu sighed and asked, “You're telling me to stay positive. Do you not see the flaw in this?”
“I guess not, considering that I am not sure what you mean.”
“I am Cain; no matter how hard I may try to run from it, I can never fully escape that title,” he said, “I'm doomed to wander, doomed to never find peace…that's who I am.”
Jean-Claude got up, sighed, and he said, “Well, know at least this: you have peace with me. If you need somewhere to run, you know where to go.”
“I can never find peace, just saying those words could be considered mockery to God and get you killed by an unseen force,” Ryuu muttered.
“You know something, you're right. I could never understand what you go through. However, don't you think it's better than roasting for all eternity? Besides all that, my God has taught me how to be merciful, and, who's to say that he didn't bring me your way for such a time as this? Who's to say that he hasn't given you opportunities like this to give you another chance? From the story that Chi tells me, all of what you see within our ranks is a part of healing the wounds. That we can never fully mix, I understand, because that is your mark on all of us. We also have to keep certain things silent, lest something worse happens. Yet, the hook up we have now, well, it's better than what we have, and I am grateful for that much.”
He put his hand on Ryuu's shoulder and said, “You cannot say that in all this time you have not found moments to smile.”
Ryuu sighed, “It is your own death you bring about, for nothing but misery and sadness and anger can come from being with me. I can have no happiness, I will never have my mate again, I will never be able to look Keelin straight into the face, so many things affect me, that affect you right now and the decision you have at this very moment.”
“What decision, to keep you or throw you away?”
“Yes.”
Before Jean-Claude could respond, there came a rapping at the window. Ryuu went to the window, katana in hand. They heard the laughter of a young girl, but there was nothing there. Then came a knock at the door, and a girl's voice in Romanian, saying, “Poti sa iesi si juca cu mine?” which meant, “Can you come out and play with me?”
Ryuu unsheathed his Katana. “Play?” he asked, furrowing his brow.
This time, it came from the window again, and it was in English with a heavy Romanian accent, “I'm so alone. Father doesn't understand me, and all the nobles stalk my bloodline for their own greedy gain.”
The voice went back to the door, and it said, “My only true friend is being trained by his kindred, and I wish he were here.”
Ryuu then closed his eyes and focused on sensing her presence. It led right into that room, and she said, “Fear not, ancient one, for I am not a foe!”
Standing there was a blonde Romanian girl about 12 years of age, with long hair, tied to the sides with black bows. She was wearing a fine evening gown befitting a girl her age, but what was the most stunning thing about her, aside from her striking beauty, were the large, sanguine eyes that seemed to stare right into your soul, alone with her cute girl smile. If she was not who she was, one would have sworn it was Anjou at that age again, with some stunning theatre make up to make her look this way. She then said, “You wouldn't hurt me, would you?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
7